Page 52 of 84 FirstFirst ... 23839404142434445464748495051525354555657585960616263646566 ... LastLast
Results 2,041 to 2,080 of 3351

Thread: The Army Boxing Thread

The Starchild
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by binnie View Post
    I would suggest starting with Jack Johnson, too. I think he was genius - totally different from anyone who came before.

Then read up on Joe Louis - doing so will introduce you loads of other great fighters he fought like Max Schmeling, Jim Braddock and Max Baer (who is chronically underated).
    Johnson moves on to Louis nicely what with the history between the two of them.I will second (or third?) about Baer.Evil punching power,Knocking down Primo Carnera a mammoth 11 times to take the title by TKO.Now did you know when Baer fought lewis he still had an injured hand from the Cinderella man fight,Leaving him some what helpless without his big right.

Oh you are going to have so much fun Vandeleur
    I really love you baby, I love what you've got
    Let's get together we can, Get hot

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    You did indeed and we shall now refer to you as 'Tiddles'.
    fuck your fucking framing

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Havent seen any thing on youtube yet but have read a couple of reviews and didnt see ortiz getting neat last night , would go as far as saying thats a bit of a shocker .

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    watched the soto vs matthysse fight ..enjoyed it . Matthysse 's ring entrance music is the trooper by maiden ...

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Ortiz quit between rounds 8 and 9 because his jaw was broken.

He was winning the fight, too. I just don't get that guy.....
    The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

The Starchild
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Ortiz jaw being broken was more a result of a handful of stupid mistakes than Lopez's power.He took the fight way too lightly,Then the blatant,mean spirited rabbit punch and to top it all off he quit in a title fight despite winning up to that point.With the majority of the fight behind him and his corner urging him to fight through it he could have pushed forward.Ortiz lost his belt more than Lopez won it.All in all though a good fight
    Last edited by Dave's Bitch; 06-24-2012 at 05:25 PM.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Yeah, I think Ortiz taking it too lightly was key - he was surprised that Lopez was still in there. I suppose if you were training for one guy (Berto) and end up with a 'lesser' opponent, it must be difficult.

I can't blame him for stopping with a broken jaw: in a sense it different from his quitting during Maidanna, as a broken jaw is serious. That being said, you'd think he'd just have changed tactics and kept going. Stick and move, y'know?

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Whilst searching for the Ortiz fight , I watched the mayweather fight last round again . Ortiz is poor pro and mayweather is a terrible sportsman....and that is putting it politely .

The Starchild
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Hey I can't say I would not have done the same thing in Mayweather's place.The first rule of boxing is keep your hands up,Floyd saw a window and took it,After the butt I think Ortiz had it coming.The thing to remember with Ortiz is although he has had 35 fights he is still only 25.There is still time for him to fine tune.I think Ortiz's biggest obstacle is himself.His boxing skills are good,There are areas he can work on but all in all i would say he is a good boxer.His overall awareness and outlook on the other hand....

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

The Starchild
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    No!!! Van damme!!!!!!

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Panama panama

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Ortiz wimped out in the Maidana fight, and he deserved Floyd knocking him the F out at the first available opportunity after that headbutt - that can't really be debated. But in this case - his jaw was hanging open, it would NOT have been smart to continue. I totally agree he was totally looking past Lopez, though. He wasn't in it mentally (again).

I WILL say, even though he was ahead by a point or so on the judges' cards, had his jaw not gotten broken something else likely would have happened. Did you SEE Ortiz wilt when he gave what he clearly thought was his best shot, Lopez came back from it like "C'MON!!!" at that moment you could just see all the wind go out of Ortiz' sails...he was like "Oh...sh*t."

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I dunno Jay, I think Ortiz was winning that fight if it went to the cards.

He clearly just thought Lopez would be a stepping stone to a bigger pay day - again, his brain let him down.

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I dunno Jay, I think Ortiz was winning that fight if it went to the cards.

He clearly just thought Lopez would be a stepping stone to a bigger pay day - again, his brain let him down.

Oh, I think he was too - but you could see the tide turning as it went on, and Lopez being like "Bring it!" visibly scared Ortiz. He might've lost those last 3 rounds anyway, and it was already a close fight... I think it was a terrific fight up to that point, don't get me wrong, but yes, Victor's head left the building around the 7th round...

I was just checking out some YouTubes and apparently over the weekend Ortiz indicated his jaw was actually broken in the 5th round...if so that last hook in the 9th must've been the push over the cliff, because THAT looked like the one that broke it...might've been it breaking in a 2nd spot for all we know....

The Starchild
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I agree if he was able to switch his game plan up,stick and move and stay out of trouble he would have got the decision.Ortiz is a very mentally weak fighter though and i doubt if he did chose to fight on he would have been able to keep his head enough to avoid further injury.He is his own biggest opponent.When thing's don't go to plan he loses his head and makes very bad decisions.Maybe the broken jaw will give him the kick in the ass he needs

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Do you think it will motivate him to finally suck it up mentally (Boxing is "10% physical, 90% mental" per Manny), or that he's just going to give it up at this point? There's a rematch clause, IIRC. This has gotta kind of screw with his marketability on some level for future events...

This throws Alvarez into a tailspin now too, no way GoldenBoy's gonna let their heir-in-training get the beat shit out of him by: Mayweather, Cotto, Marinez...all would clobber him. So who would he fight after Chavez?

Speaking Cherry Red
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Bitch View Post
    Hey I can't say I would not have done the same thing in Mayweather's place.........After the butt I think Ortiz had it coming.
    I fucking hate Mayweather but I have to agree. After Ortiz left his fucking FEET launching himself at Floyd I was okay with him stretching Ortiz out like that.
    "Don't want 'em to get you goat, don't show 'em where it's hid." - David Lee Roth

Speaking Cherry Red
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    The problem with Ortiz is that he has a college education. He's too smart and has too many other options in life to be in there with most of these guys. No desperation.

Speaking Cherry Red
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jhale667 View Post
    GoldenBoy's gonna let their heir-in-training get the beat shit out of him by: Mayweather, Cotto, Marinez...all would clobber him. So who would he fight after Chavez?
    Chavez is gonna get FUCKED UP by Sergio Martinez if he gets in the ring with him in September.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jhale667 View Post
    Do you think it will motivate him to finally suck it up mentally (Boxing is "10% physical, 90% mental" per Manny), or that he's just going to give it up at this point? There's a rematch clause, IIRC. This has gotta kind of screw with his marketability on some level for future events...

This throws Alvarez into a tailspin now too, no way GoldenBoy's gonna let their heir-in-training get the beat shit out of him by: Mayweather, Cotto, Marinez...all would clobber him. So who would he fight after Chavez?

The one they're really keeping Alvarez away from is Lara. That dude is a beast at 154.

The Starchild
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Honestly i would not be surprised if this injury out the fear of god into Ortiz.Marketability is the reason he overlooked this fight.He was trying to hype the Canelo fight,which would have been his breakthrough to big PPV money before he fought Lopez.In terms of intelligence being his short coming I have to disagree.Look at the Klit brothers,They are both doctors or something like that.And i totally agree Lara would lick Alvarez at this point

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I think in one sense this may be a blessing for Ortiz. Whilst the Alvarez fight would have been a decent payday, I just don't see him being able to win it - he would be in with someone much bigger than him who has heavy hands.

Ortiz should focus on 147 - rematch Lopez and Berto for starters, then maybe think about Bradley. As I said before, in a couple of years Mayweather and Pacman will be retired and then the division is wide open.

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by gbranton View Post
    The problem with Ortiz is that he has a college education. He's too smart and has too many other options in life to be in there with most of these guys. No desperation.
    He's already got his own clothing company, and is modeling...probably more money (and less injuries) persuing those angles instead...and while Binnie's right and the division WILL be wide open in a few years, he's still gonna have the mindset issue unless he works past it quickly. But he doesn't like it when he's in with somebody as or more determined than he is...

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    You did indeed and we shall now refer to you as 'Tiddles'.
    RIDE TO LIVE, LIVE TO RIDE
    LET `EM ROLL ONE MORE TIME

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Isn't Robert Guerrero due to makes his 147lbs debut soon?

I'm intrigued by this. Easily one of the most underrated fighters out there - but can he handle the weight?

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Isn't Robert Guerrero due to makes his 147lbs debut soon?

I'm intrigued by this. Easily one of the most underrated fighters out there - but can he handle the weight?
    Saturday, July 28 -t San Jose, CA (Showtime)
    Robert Guerrero - Selcuk Aydin

Good question regarding the weight. I am ready to see if his power will go up with him.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I hope so, but I doubt it.

He's skillful enough, however.

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    BUFFER AINT SHORT WHEN IT COMES TO THE SPENDS

MICHAEL BUFFER is ready to rumble for the big grudge match between Dereck Chisora and David Haye.
    The legendary ring announcer has made £300million from the most famous phrase in boxing.
    And Buffer will belt out his unmistakable ‘Let’s get ready to rumble’ introduction before the British bad-boys clash in The Sun-backed fight at Upton Park in two weeks’ time.
    The American has worked with the biggest names in the sport in a 30-year career and cannot wait for the bout.
    He said: “I’m surprised a fight like this was made as it’s no secret they haven’t been sharing afternoon tea lately.
    “This is legitimately the biggest heavyweight fight of the year. We have two men who have no love for each other, willing to put it all on the line.
    “I can’t wait to see who will prevail on the pitch at Upton Park. I expect the crowd will be large and electric.”
    Haye and Chisora go head-to-head after their Munich brawl in February following Del Boy’s points defeat to WBC heavyweight champ Vitali Klitschko.
    The Brits’ explosive confrontation led to calls for the pair to do it all again — but with gloves on.
    Buffer, 67, is one of a host of top names who will be ringside at West Ham where officials are expecting to hang up ‘sold out’ signs.
    Vietnam war veteran Buffer has built a thriving business around his catchphrase.
    It has made him a fortune as he protects his trademark with worldwide copyrights, played himself in films like Rocky Balboa and been animated in The Simpsons and South Park.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Wladimir Klit vs Tony 'The Pussy' Thompson this Saturday.

A rematch which no-one wanted to see. Anyone interested?

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Mildly interested In what round Wlad knocks him out ... Probably more interested in what injury Thompson has planned to reel out at the post fight press conference

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Can u have a strained talent lol

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Not if you don't have talent in the first place.

Wlad and his team are selling us the 'Thompson was a tough challenge in the first fight.....'. I remember that fight and Thompson did what all of these Amercian heavies do with the Klits: bottle it.

The man is now 40 years old and has been fighting journeyman for years. Wlad will jab-jab-cross his way to victory.

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Not if you don't have talent in the first place.

Wlad and his team are selling us the 'Thompson was a tough challenge in the first fight.....'. I remember that fight and Thompson did what all of these Amercian heavies do with the Klits: bottle it.

The man is now 40 years old and has been fighting journeyman for years. Wlad will jab-jab-cross his way to victory.
    Not exactly the most mysterious fight is it?

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Well, it's mysterious in the sense of 'who the fuck thought this was a good idea'?

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    The royal bank of klit

The Starchild
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Wladimir Klit vs Tony 'The Pussy' Thompson this Saturday.

A rematch which no-one wanted to see. Anyone interested?
    Nope

Seriously I have little interest in any Wlad fight on account of him being so boring.Actually more interested in the Haye-Chisora fight

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Yeah, I'm kinda uncomfortable with it happening but looking forward to it at the same time.

In other news Tyson Fury is fighting Vinny Madalone on Saturday, which could be a decent scrap.

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Am weirdly looking forward to haye chisora... Been arranging it this week all the boys are going to watch it ...
    It's an odd fight because haye should murder him ..BUT

I like big buts and I cannot lie . Cue funny Van dance

But I was impressed with Chisora against klitchko , thought he was Decent against him.
    But saying that Tyson fury beat him ... And my granny later beat Tyson fury on points even with her dodgy hip and one of her legs shorter than the other ( she is great at going in circles )
    Last edited by vandeleur; 07-04-2012 at 06:45 AM.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I think that Chisora took Fury too lightly and didn't train. He was brave against Vitali, and he deserves some credit for that. It makes me think that Haye - for all his power - might not be able to KO Chisora.

The key for Haye is to keep Chisora off him. When you're giving away that kind of weight it's easier said than done. That being said Haye will be sooooo much faster on his feet and with his fists. I expect that tactics to be similar to the Ruiz fight, only with Haye being sharper.

Thread Information