Page 56 of 84 FirstFirst ... 64243444546474849505152535455565758596061626364656667686970 ... LastLast
Results 2,201 to 2,240 of 3351

Thread: The Army Boxing Thread

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by binnie View Post
    I thought both fights were entertaining.

Haye really impressed me last night - elusive, composed and lightning fast.
    Hell yeah. Good entertaining heavyweight fights don't come around too often anymore.
    RIDE TO LIVE, LIVE TO RIDE
    LET `EM ROLL ONE MORE TIME

The Starchild
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    The Khan result pleases me greatly.I have been saying since he turned pro he is way over hyped and is just a fast puncher,not a boxer.he has natural speed in his hands and feet but he seem's to have NO idea how to use it.I am not going to go into another "What Khan needs to do" rant.All i will say is his past few performances have proved my point.
    I really love you baby, I love what you've got
    Let's get together we can, Get hot

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    It's a case of Khan has stopped learning - he has plateaued.

Garcia caught him with a great punch and that can happen to anyone, but what shocked me was to see him making the same errors as he did against Peterson. No offence to Peterson or Garcia - they are both very, very good fighters - but they are not the elite fighters Khan was being lined up for.

If he wants to, there is a way back. But can he be bothered? I would suggest (since a Garcia rematch is not going to happen):

- rematch Peterson (it's sellable)
    - look to fight Devon Alexander (if he can be attemped back to 140 - which he could be for Khan money)
    - fight Kendal Holt (risky, as he's a puncher, but a good scalp).

That should lead back to the big time at 140. Something tells me, however, that they'll look to go to 147, which would be a disaster - it would be the first time in Khan's career where he would consistently be the smaller guy. If he does stay at 140, I expect someone will make a fight with Eric Morales next......
    The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

The Starchild
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    If he fights an over the hill Morales next he has no choice but to win.Should he lose that one his options would be very limited.A Kendal Holt fight would be problematic with the whole Golden Boy Bob Arum situation.I think Holt's style would cause problems for Khan as he is a sneaky puncher,I could see him walking Khan into counters all night and he definitely has the power to put Khan out.It could potentially be an interesting fight and i think Khan needs to make a fight like this and look good in it

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Rumour is that Ricky Hatton is considering a comeback. Just sayin'......

Don't know what weight Khan would fight him at - it would have to be 147 or more surely? - but it would be a HUGE fight in the UK.

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by binnie View Post
    Rumour is that Ricky Hatton is considering a comeback. Just sayin'......

Don't know what weight Khan would fight him at - it would have to be 147 or more surely? - but it would be a HUGE fight in the UK.
    i saw that ... the ammount of cheeseburgers hatton has been scoffing he has more chance of fighting haye
    fuck your fucking framing

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Funny how Khan was talking about how he wanted to fight Floyd soon...dude, Floyd will PICK YOU APART...sure Khan is fast, but as Binnie pointed out, his defense sucks and he's doing ZERO to improve it. If he doesn't change it up soon he's going to keep getting the beat sh*t out of him and his careeer's over....

Von loves Brady
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    They all want to fight Floyd for the pay day, the money is worth the big fat L they get on their record. Well, to everyone but Paq-fraud that is. Khan even mentioning Floyd is a joke, unless he wants to try out for sparring partner.

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by TFM_Dale View Post
    They all want to fight Floyd for the pay day, the money is worth the big fat L they get on their record. Well, to everyone but Paq-fraud that is. Khan even mentioning Floyd is a joke, unless he wants to try out for sparring partner.
    He'd probably make an excellent sparring partner for Floyd just because of his speed, but he is far out-classed in every other department. And yes, I too can't wait for Floyd to destroy Paq-fraud.

The Starchild
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I think Floyd will win but i really doubt he will destroy Pacquiao.I See it being close until the later rounds where Floyd would open up a gap on the cards

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Bitch View Post
    I think Floyd will win but i really doubt he will destroy Pacquiao.I See it being close until the later rounds where Floyd would open up a gap on the cards
    You might be right. On the other hand, all Pac can really do is come forward (usually that's enough)....the dude's not big on angles, and Floyd is NOT gonna be there for him to hit. I think (barring accidents or lucky shots) Floyd will frustrate the piss out of Manny for several rounds and begin pot-shotting the crap out of him...he's a WAY better counter-puncher than Manny. Hope it finally happens before they're both too old to give us a great fight.

The Starchild
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    On Khan.He needs to pick himself up and hit the gym hard.He needs to work on the fundamentals.He needs to do A LOT of sparring.I noticed in the Garcia fight he has a nasty habit of exposing his chin when throwing a jab.Either the right hand is too far back or drops leaving that big ole' glass jaw wide open for a counter,and that is exactly what happened.As you can't teach a good chin he needs to work on his technique and his terrible defence

Speaking Cherry Red
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I'm not so sure, had Jose Luis Castillo not started started so slowly in their fight he would probably have earned a decision over Mayweather. Castillo had a lot of success in the middle rounds, when he cut off the ring and used his strength to wear down Mayweather and Pacquiao could do the same thing.
    "Don't want 'em to get you goat, don't show 'em where it's hid." - David Lee Roth

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    True dat. I'd say the first 4-5 rounds will be close.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by gbranton View Post
    I'm not so sure, had Jose Luis Castillo not started started so slowly in their fight he would probably have earned a decision over Mayweather. Castillo had a lot of success in the middle rounds, when he cut off the ring and used his strength to wear down Mayweather and Pacquiao could do the same thing.
    True, but Floyd is a lot more experience now. Add in to that Floyd schooled JLC in the re-match....

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    As you can't teach a good chin he needs to work on his technique and his terrible defence
    Hun ... your so right . Khan has all the skills to be a good fighter ... but time and again his defensive technique lets him down.

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by vandeleur View Post
    Hun ... your so right . Khan has all the skills to be a good fighter ... but time and again his defensive technique lets him down.

Plus, when you've just gotten knocked on your ass and can barely stand, the answer is to tie up, or box and move assuming you can...NOT stand flat-footed in front of the dude in the middle of the ring and go "C'mon!" he was inviting Garcia to come in and finish him, which he DID.

Von loves Brady
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jhale667 View Post
    Plus, when you've just gotten knocked on your ass and can barely stand, the answer is to tie up, or box and move assuming you can...NOT stand flat-footed in front of the dude in the middle of the ring and go "C'mon!" he was inviting Garcia to come in and finish him, which he DID.
    It kind of reminded me of the "Finish Him" from the old mortal combat game on the genesis lol.

The Starchild
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Just been browsing around at VERY old fight footage (100+ years) and found a few great vid's for anyone who like's boxing history

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xpg...chel-190_sport

Particularly enjoyed the Jack Johnson - Stanley Ketchel clip of rounds 1,2,8,10 and 12.Anyone who has not seen this i would advise to watch.I am sure we all know the story of this "exhibition" and Ketchel's "Sneak" punch that put Jack down in round 12.This clip with Ketchel's bloody face and huge from the hip right sorta prove that old fight legend was just another tale from papa Jack

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by TFM_Dale View Post
    It kind of reminded me of the "Finish Him" from the old mortal combat game on the genesis lol.

ME TOO - except Khan should have been shouting "Finish me!"

Speaking Cherry Red
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jhale667 View Post
    Khan should have been shouting "Finish me!"
    I scream that sometimes.......... ok not those exact words, LOL.

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    My concern for Khan and Ortiz is that once you have been knocked out a couple of times it seems like you are more susceptible to being knocked out. The older you are the more it becomes a factor like in the case of Roy Jones who has been knocked out by everyone at this point. Obviously, given the age of Khan and Ortiz the jury is still out, but once concussed, twice concussed...the likelihood will increase.

The Starchild
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    A good point yes.I think that all comes down to the mental make up of a fighter,That little doubt in the back of the mind about your own ability to take a hit.And how you tackle this is what separates a good fighter from a great one.I would not be shocked if we saw a more cautious approach from Khan.Perhaps not Ortiz but this KO seem's to have shattered the aura around Khan,Perhaps even planted some doubt in his own head.I am looking forward to seeing how he deals with this in his next outing

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    It's called 'learning how to lose'.

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    For khan ....its gonna be tough( in maiden the prisoner voice ) he had a reputation of not being able to take a punch . So what does he do he fights in a cavalier way as if he is trying to prove he can take it if he gets hit . The up shot is he proves he can't defend and gets hit easy.
    Does he need to prove he can take a hit or does he need to prove he can learn and have the chops to defend.
    I think I have an idea of the answer .
    But does he .
    Last edited by vandeleur; 07-19-2012 at 03:32 PM.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Exactly.

No fighter is 10/10 in every area. What you have to do is develop a style which plays to all of your strengths. Pernell Whitaker didn't have much power, but he was such a good defensive fighter he is one of the GOAT.

Khan is lightning fast. He should use that speed to develop a stick and move style. Simple.

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    There is no doubt Khan's defense it shitty but learning to lose is one thing while the ability to take a punch is something else. I think Khan, regardless of the Prescott fight, has shown the ability to take good punches based on the Maidana fight alone. Learning how to lose allows you to make excuses when you have a tough fight that goes to the cards and you get decisioned. The ability to take a punch is a nano second from the time of impact to when you find yourself looking up at the lights. It is going to be easier to knock Khan out from this point on because of the punishment he has already taken. He can develop the best defense in the world but at some point he is going to get tagged if he continues to fight world class fighters.

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Khan can take a punch he showed as you say against maidana and he was game(stupid) in the fourth against garcia ... but does he have to keep taking them .He has fast feet and hands could he not hit and use his speed to avoid punches .. what am saying is there some reason that he thinks he has to prove himself to take shots he doesnt have to ...The fouth against garcia is a point in case , he should have been laurel and hardy on his ass , he should have stuck to him frustrated him and and stopped garcia fighting till his head cleared , instead he tried to trade .....
    Until he changes his style he will be drawn into every war going and take more and more shots... a man who cant defend wont last in a slug fest and every boxer at 140 knowns you just draw him into a war.
    Khan has the power to knock out any opponent but fighting like he does he gives them the same oppotunity.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I'll be honest: I'll be amazed if he recovers from this to get back to the top. Wish him all the best but I just don't see it.

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Khan can take a punch he showed as you say against maidana and he was game(stupid) in the fourth against garcia ... but does he have to keep taking them .He has fast feet and hands could he not hit and use his speed to avoid punches .. what am saying is there some reason that he thinks he has to prove himself to take shots he doesnt have to ...The fouth against garcia is a point in case , he should have been laurel and hardy on his ass , he should have stuck to him frustrated him and and stopped garcia fighting till his head cleared , instead he tried to trade .....
    Until he changes his style he will be drawn into every war going and take more and more shots... a man who cant defend wont last in a slug fest and every boxer at 140 knowns you just draw him into a war.
    Khan has the power to knock out any opponent but fighting like he does he gives them the same oppotunity.
    I know exactly what you are saying and i totally agree.

Von loves Brady
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by sonrisa salvaje View Post
    My concern for Khan and Ortiz is that once you have been knocked out a couple of times it seems like you are more susceptible to being knocked out. The older you are the more it becomes a factor like in the case of Roy Jones who has been knocked out by everyone at this point. Obviously, given the age of Khan and Ortiz the jury is still out, but once concussed, twice concussed...the likelihood will increase.
    Damn good point. Roy was THE man for a long time though. Loved watching him in the ring.

The Starchild
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Looks like Froch - Pavlik is being set up for november 10

http://www.boxingnews24.com/2012/07/...-kelly-pavlik/

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Looks like Froch - Pavlik is being set up for november 10

http://www.boxingnews24.com/2012/07/...-kelly-pavlik/
    i also read that Thomas Oosthuizen could be another possibility

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Pavlik gets retired if that fight happens.

The Starchild
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Heard a few more rumors about Hatton making a come back.One i liked most was Hatton - Khan

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Mmmmmm I think hatton coming back ain't a great idea ... He was a bing drinker eater at the best of times he would surely struggle to get into shape ...
    I read in a couple of articles the manner of how he behaved when not fighting and the difficult task of getting fit losing weight was effecting his long term health .

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Am a fan of freddie roach but .... The best thing khan can do is leave him , I don't think he has improved his skills at all . I think he needs a dedicated full time trainer
    Last edited by vandeleur; 07-21-2012 at 05:16 PM. Reason: Not paying attention lol

The Starchild
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I am not surprised.Plus at 33 his best day's are behind him.I thought he got his training licence recently and was going for that.The last time i saw Hatton on anything was the cube celebrity special,He was fucking huge.

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Yeah he had properly porked out

The Starchild
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Am a fan of paddy roach but .... The best thing khan can do is leave him , I don't think he has improved his skills at all . I think he needs a dedicated full time trainer
    I would agree.Again i say with the greatest respect to roach's illness he is spreading himself too thin and can't give his guy's all he used too.Honestly i think I have had a better game plan on the fly for Khan than roach has,The same with Manny

Thread Information