Page 59 of 84 FirstFirst ... 94546474849505152535455565758596061626364656667686970717273 ... LastLast
Results 2,321 to 2,360 of 3351

Thread: The Army Boxing Thread

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    At 175 there isn't a 'mega' fight for him. There are some interesting ones, however:

Tarvis Cloud
    Jean Pascall
    Nathan Cleverly

There's 2 years work.
    The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

The Starchild
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I would like a Ward Pascal fight.I could see it being a very entertaining fight but over all Pascal does not have the boxing IQ Ward does.I think Ward would beat him similarly to how Bhop did.
    I really love you baby, I love what you've got
    Let's get together we can, Get hot

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I think you're right DB.

Pascall is unorthodox, which causes people problems. He gasses out after 5 rounds, however, which would be his undoing against Ward.

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Ward would destroy Pascal. I don't see a Ward-Dawson rematch at 175 going any differently either, as Dawson caught Ward with some clean shots after which Ward looked at him like "You better HOPE you can do better than that." and Dawson couldn't. I think the mental toughness thing came in to play there, too. Dawson's demeanor completely changed after that first knockdown - which he didn't even see coming (hell it was so fast I barely saw it). It looked like he was going to try to just survive, but Ward began to basically humiliate him. Amazing performance by Ward.

And did anyone check out 24/7? Sorry, Chavez Jr. is a PUNK - you don't keep Freddie Roach waiting an HOUR before you decide to tell him you "don't feel like" training. He's not taking Martinez seriously, and that's gonna cost him dearly. Never heard Martinez talk this much smack before either...he can't STAND Chavez, you can tell....this is gonna be a great one.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Chavez-Martinez is certainly a good 24/7.

I honestly don't see a way for Chavez to win - Martinez is too fast and awkward.

The only angle Chavez has is that he's going to be much, much heavier. I expect they think he can bully Martinez.

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I think it will be a good fight and am going for martinez to be way to good for jr , even taking in to account and strength i think martinez will stop chavez.
    Still were getting some decent match ups but it does show up the current crop of heavy weights after saturdays klit run out.
    fuck your fucking framing

The Starchild
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I am going to say Martinez by TKO round 8

I still really dislike Chavez jr.He has to be one of the most protected fighters,Certainly in the earlier part of his career.Simply put I don't think his skills match his hype,And i know he does not have the skill's to beat Martinez.Martinez is too fast and too good a boxer for him.Chavez will probably look to bring the fight to him and land some big shots,That is about the only thing he can do.A look at both fight records will tell you everything you need to know about the this fight.Martinez has some impressive scalps on his record.Chavez has a few quasi big wins but nothing like Martinez

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I dislike Chavez, too.

Not sure I see a stoppage though - he has proven himself to be tough.

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by binnie View Post
    I dislike Chavez, too.

Not sure I see a stoppage though - he has proven himself to be tough.
    I can almost see him pulling a Dawson towards the end of the fight (as I seriously think Martinez is going to humiliate the crap out of him), and just saying "fuck it". You can say whatever about him, but he DOESN'T have the skill level to be blowing off training for a guy like Martinez. And even if he did, he knew he was gonna flake before he made poor Freddie SIT THERE for a fucking hour or better...that seriously pisses me off, I've got mad respect for Freddie Roach. You don't do that to your trainer, especially when he's got Parkinson's and it's more of an effort for HIM to show up than for you to....inexcusable.

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    It's a twats trick doing that to a genuine fella like roach , hope he gets what he deserves

The Starchild
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    In other news I have heard Ricky Hatton is expecting to announce his comeback in a press conference on friday

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Yeah think the press conference is at KFC ;-)

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jhale667 View Post
    I can almost see him pulling a Dawson towards the end of the fight (as I seriously think Martinez is going to humiliate the crap out of him), and just saying "fuck it". You can say whatever about him, but he DOESN'T have the skill level to be blowing off training for a guy like Martinez. And even if he did, he knew he was gonna flake before he made poor Freddie SIT THERE for a fucking hour or better...that seriously pisses me off, I've got mad respect for Freddie Roach. You don't do that to your trainer, especially when he's got Parkinson's and it's more of an effort for HIM to show up than for you to....inexcusable.
    The other way of looking at this is that it's all mind games with Martinez: 'look, Chavez isn't training properly, he's not taking the fight seriously'.

Remember, Roach makes us believe Pacman takes his training lightly in every 24/7 too.

(I should point out, however, that in this case I think Chavez is genuinely being a douche).

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by vandeleur View Post
    Yeah think the press conference is at KFC ;-)
    I just wish he'd stay retired. Unless he comes back to beat the living fuck out of Amir Khan't. And then retire.

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    The other way of looking at this is that it's all mind games with Martinez: 'look, Chavez isn't training properly, he's not taking the fight seriously'.

Remember, Roach makes us believe Pacman takes his training lightly in every 24/7 too.

(I should point out, however, that in this case I think Chavez is genuinely being a douche).

Even if it were a ruse, and I don't think it is - I seriously doubt it's going to effect Martinez' training intensity or motivation....he seems determined to destroy Chavez. Think I'm gonna have to break down and do the PPV for this Saturday night... it'll still be cheaper than going and watching it at a bar....

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Not as much fun tho

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Not as much fun tho
    Depends on the bar, doesn't it?
    Fortunately we're talkiin' L.A. time viewing, so the bar will still be open long after the fight.

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I hope Chavez doesn't do the trendy thing now and not even try and make weight in hopes that Martinez will fight him anyway. If he doesn't make weight it is going to piss me off. If he does make weight, as heavy as he is, it would indicate that he is indeed in shape. We will know for sure on Friday. I too think that Martinez will be the victor by KO, TKO...whatever...maybe Jr. quits on his stool because he is being whitewashed on the cards. Andy Lee has power but that is the hardest he has been hit and by shots that he saw coming. Martinez shots are going to come from places that Jr. will not see. His angles have angles.
    RIDE TO LIVE, LIVE TO RIDE
    LET `EM ROLL ONE MORE TIME

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    It has been announced that Pacman-Marquez 4 is going to happen Dec 8th.

I am the only one who is confused by this? If I was Bob Arum, wouldn't a rematch with Bradley seem the safer bet? Most people think - despite the 'loss' - that Pacman won, and the revenge angle would sell the fight.

Putting Pacman backing the ring with a guy who has taken him to the brink 3 times seems an odd move to me. Looking forward to it, but puzzled too.

Speaking Cherry Red
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Think I'm gonna have to break down and do the PPV for this Saturday night... it'll still be cheaper than going and watching it at a bar....
    Damn, how much can you drink in ten minutes? Martinez is gonna eat junior for breakfast.
    "Don't want 'em to get you goat, don't show 'em where it's hid." - David Lee Roth

Speaking Cherry Red
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I should point out, however, that in every case I think Chavez genuinely is a douche.

The Starchild
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    It has been announced that Pacman-Marquez 4 is going to happen Dec 8th.

I am the only one who is confused by this? If I was Bob Arum, wouldn't a rematch with Bradley seem the safer bet? Most people think - despite the 'loss' - that Pacman won, and the revenge angle would sell the fight.

Putting Pacman backing the ring with a guy who has taken him to the brink 3 times seems an odd move to me. Looking forward to it, but puzzled too.
    That is a really stupid idea.I would have thought Arum would want to build up some steam for Manny after the Bradley business.I will watch Pacman Marquez 4 though.It will be interesting to see what happens if Marquez beats him (again).Yet again Bob Arum mystifies me with his logic

Speaking Cherry Red
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Bitch View Post
    Yet again Bob Arum mystifies me with his logic
    The logic is that we boxing fans for the most part continue to buy shite cards and he continues to get paid in colossal fashion no matter what sort of tripe he foists off on us.

Sort of like in the Nigerian scammers thread, we continue to humiliate ourselves in order to receive boxes of shit, which we in turn cheerfully sign for and pay the postage.

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by gbranton View Post
    Damn, how much can you drink in ten minutes? Martinez is gonna eat junior for breakfast.
    Good point.

Yeah, I'm not understanding the thinking behind Marquez-Pacquiao 4, either... unless the world just needs to see Marquez get robbed ....AGAIN. Hopefully hel'll knock the Energizer Bunny the F out in decisive fashion this time and settle all doubt, but not counting on it...

Von loves Brady
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Always knew Arum was an asshole but thought he was smarter then this. If Paq loses, by decision or KO any and all leverage for a Money Mayweather fight is gone and will surely never happen (not that it will anyway but I keep hoping). If Paq-fraud can finally pull a legit win out everyone will just be thinking it is about fucking time, how many chances do you need. Stupid move by Arum and Paq must see what everyone else does by now, he needs to dump Arum ASAP, maybe we will get a good fight or two before he retires if he does.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I'm with TFM on this.

The only thing in my mind is that Arum sees Bradley as a future cash cow, and would rather hedge his bets with another Pacman-Marquez fight than risk having Pacman beat Bradely. But if he genuinely thought that Pacman was done, surely he'd make the Mayweather fight for one big payday?

There really is too much made of losing in boxing. No-one looks down on a great fighter for losing - and everyone makes more money if the fights are competitive/entertaining.

Marquez is 39 now - I just hope his chance hasn't passed.

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

There really is too much made of losing in boxing. No-one looks down on a great fighter for losing - and everyone makes more money if the fights are competitive/entertaining.

This is a semi-recent thing, too; Think Ali lost and regained his title how many times? Sugar Ray Leonard lost fights, as did Frazier, Hearns, Hagler, etc. And they're all still considered among the greats. It's definitely not a good thing for boxing.

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Wow Amir khan has fired Freddie roach , now I have questioned Freddie's tactics of having fighters only show in the later parts of rounds recently but khan firing him seems a bit bold of his camp.
    Maybe they blame Freddie for his inability to stop an opponent punching him or for khans habit of shouting come on punch me some more seconds after dragging his arse off the canvas.
    Maybe I should coach khan , I have a secret weapon.
    Repeat after me Amir " don't let opponents punch you , don't let opponents punch you , good boy amir now see that tree there imagine it has just knocked you out go hug it ,hug it for all it's worth"

Speaking Cherry Red
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Maybe they blame Freddie for khans habit of shouting come on punch me some more seconds after dragging his arse off the canvas.
    I'm sure that tactic came directly from Roach. No trainer can help him as long as he acts like a tool.

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Well thats hatton's first comeback fight out of the way , he chinned his dad.

The father of boxer Ricky Hatton was arrested on suspicion of assaulting his son the day before he announced his comeback, it has emerged.

Ray Hatton, 61, was given a police caution following the incident outside Ricky's Manchester gym on Market Street, Hyde, on Thursday.

It is understood that Hatton, 33, had to protect himself during a heated row in the car park but was not injured.

Both Ray Hatton and his son's agent declined to comment on the incident.

'Redeem myself'

A Greater Manchester Police spokesman said: "Shortly before 11:45 BST on Thursday, police received reports that there had been a fight involving two men outside a health and fitness club on Market Street.

"A 33-year-old man was assaulted by a 61-year-old man, who was arrested on suspicion of common assault and subsequently given a police caution."

On Friday, Ricky Hatton announced he would be returning to the ring, more than three years since his last bout.

He said: "It's more than a comeback. I'm fighting to redeem myself."

Hatton was stripped of his licence to box in September 2010 and fined £20,000 plus costs after allegations he used cocaine.

He then spent time in a rehabilitation clinic.

The boxer officially retired in 2011 with a record of 45 wins and two defeats.

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Wow Amir khan has fired Freddie roach , now I have questioned Freddie's tactics of having fighters only show in the later parts of rounds recently but khan firing him seems a bit bold of his camp.
    Maybe they blame Freddie for his inability to stop an opponent punching him or for khans habit of shouting come on punch me some more seconds after dragging his arse off the canvas.
    Maybe I should coach khan , I have a secret weapon.
    Repeat after me Amir " don't let opponents punch you , don't let opponents punch you , good boy amir now see that tree there imagine it has just knocked you out go hug it ,hug it for all it's worth"

Khan's an idiot, then - and his career is likely over.

The Starchild
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Khan's an idiot, then - and his career is likely over.
    Good.I fucking hate that little prick

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Khan does like himself a little too much, doesn't he?

a.k.a. Flappo The Grate
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

The Starchild
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Fairly sure with his attitude and his glass jaw I could knock that cunt out

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I wanna marry a woman who says I could knock that cunt out ;-)

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Khan does like himself a little too much, doesn't he?
    That's the problem. The kid stopped listening, and that's when you peak.

The split seems fairly amicable, and I wish Amir Khan't well with whoever is his new trainer. Until he learns more about defense, or how to use his speed to maxim effect, he'll never be a top level fighter.

I see a massive - and it would be MASSIVE - British fight with Ricky Hatton in the not too distant future once we find out if Hatton still has anything in the tank.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    The binnie Breakdown: Julio Caesar Chavez Jr - Sergio Martinez.

It is hard to bet against Martinez in this fight: he's faster, he's more awkward, he has better movement and - and this is crucial - he's beaten guys who are much better than Chavez (Pavlik and Williams to name 2, but I'd through Macklin and Barker in there too). I don't mean that to be disparaging to JCC jr. He's tough, and he's beaten a handful of very decent middleweights - I expect he'll be up for this fight, and I expect he'll make it a difficult night's work for Martinez. Using his natural size advantage, the plan will have to be to push Martinez backwards, because if he doesn't do that he's going to look like a human pizza after 6 rounds. But a high work-rate, rough-house tactics and bullying are all well and good against guys like John Duddy and Andy Lee, but when in with a guy who only needs to stand and trade when he wants to, they won't work.

Martinez will dish out a lot of punishment on the younger man. Whether he can stop Chavez, I'm not so sure. But he'lll win a UD - I can't even see it being close.

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Wow just woke up and read the reports will need to check the fight out any way but Sounds like a monster last round .

The Starchild
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Martinez is one scary guy.He completely outclassed Chavez for 11 1/2 rounds.Very good fight

Thread Information