Page 60 of 84 FirstFirst ... 104647484950515253545556575859606162636465666768697071727374 ... LastLast
Results 2,361 to 2,400 of 3351

Thread: The Army Boxing Thread

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Will defo check it out when I get my shit together and finally defeat this duvet
    fuck your fucking framing

The Starchild
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    ha. you need a strong coffee
    I really love you baby, I love what you've got
    Let's get together we can, Get hot

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Bitch View Post
    Martinez is one scary guy.He completely outclassed Chavez for 11 1/2 rounds.Very good fight
    Yeah, that was fucking incredible. Chavez waited all night (blocking shots with his face the whole time) for that lucky shot, got it, and still couldn't close the deal. Points for heart for Chavez, but he got worked 95% of the fight.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Well, it went pretty much as I said it would. I think Martinez read the binnie Breakdown before fight-time and stole the game plan.

Speed kills; and skills pay the bills.

Bring on Daniel Geale or Golvokin. Good fights for Martinez.

Chavez should go back to wearing pink Y-fronts and ignoring his father's advice.....
    The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Martinez is one scary guy.He completely outclassed Chavez for 11 1/2 rounds.Very good fight
    I agree. Sergio "Maravilla" Martinez has an awesome sports career, even in football, he started boxing late in his life.

Before the fight he said "take a photo of Chávez now, because tomorrow nobody will recognize him" . A really scary statement.
    Chavez fighted with heart.

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Marvilla meant it too, that was THE most beat up Chavez has gotten in a fight thus far...one eye almost swollen shut and the other was pretty banged up too... his lazy-ass training habits came back to haunt him, he was last off the stool for every round, and did you notice how scared he looked between rounds? He was definitely in "Oh shit" mode.

Massive props to Martinez for NOT holding or runnning when he got hurt; he stood and traded like the warrior he is to close out the round.

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    You are right, Chavez looked very scared between rounds, as Binnie said he looked like a "human pizza" after some rounds, and Maravilla had a fracture on his left hand.

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Hadn't heard about the busted hand, did they say what round it happened in? I didn't notice him favoring (or ceasing use of) his left at any point...? Wow, so he was still pounding Chavez' face into hamburger with a fractured hand...dude's hardcore.

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Arrow

Already there's "F the rematch" talk ... I don't really see the point in it either...

Sergio Martinez vs. Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.: Chavez Doesn't Deserve Title Rematch

Sergio Martinez proved in his highly anticipated fight what he had been saying all along: Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. did not deserve to be middleweight champion.

Martinez defeated Chavez by unanimous decision on Saturday night to regain the WBC middleweight title. Two judges scored the match 118-109 in favor of Martinez, while the last one was only a little closer at 117-110.

Before the two competed for the title, Martinez had some words for his opponent that must have hit close to home. He told reporters (via Yahoo! Sports):

"It is very simple. I cannot accept the fact he is world champion. The only reason he is world champion is because he is Julio Cesar Chavez Jr., the son of the legend, and his mouth is so big - even bigger than his own brain - and he's talking too much."

Martinez had his title stripped by the WBC when he changed weight classes, and the veteran boxer has not accepted that fate. Now he will not have to, as he defeated his opponent fair and square.

The USA Today reports, however, that the bout winner says he will accept a rematch with Chavez. This would be a waste of time for boxing fans.

Despite coming into the match with an undefeated record, Chavez was largely untested in his first 47 professional matches. He had shown flashes of brilliance, but did not prove he was at the level of one of the best pound-for-pound boxers in the world.

This was proven to be true when Martinez dominated the champ for the first 10 rounds of the match. It was not until the last two rounds that Chavez finally came alive, likely after he realized it would take a knockout to win the fight.

Even with the final flurry, the match was not close enough to believe he would redeem himself with a second chance. In reality, that is what a rematch is for, not just for selling more tickets.

Martinez proved in the bout that he is not only more technically sound than the youngster, but he can still move well at 37 years old. Despite his advanced age, he is unlikely to be dropping out of the top spot any time soon.

Chavez still has a great amount of potential. The son of a legend has great strength and speed, but needs more discipline in the ring to avoid being exposed to big punches. With a few more years of seasoning, he can rise to the level of the top boxers in the world.

Unfortunately, that time is not now, and it will not be within the time frame of a potential rematch. Martinez won easily, and his next match should be against someone who can give him a better challenge.

Although boxing promoters will usually choose big names over a quality matchup, this is one that should be avoided.

The Starchild
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Chavez has a case of Amir Khan syndrome in that he believes his own hype and does not have the skills to back it up.It is stupid that at 26 he has more wins than Sugar Ray Leonard had fights.Perhaps Amir Khan syndrome is not fair,Chavez did show heart.If he backs up the hype machine and works on his ring craft he will have a bright future.Lets hope Martinez at least knocked some sense into him

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jhale667 View Post
    Hadn't heard about the busted hand, did they say what round it happened in? I didn't notice him favoring (or ceasing use of) his left at any point...? Wow, so he was still pounding Chavez' face into hamburger with a fractured hand...dude's hardcore.
    He broke his left hand during the 4th. round and torn ligaments on his right knee, amazing, a true "Maravilla" He will need surgery, probably Tuesday or Wednesday. These are the news here, in Buenos Aires, I will try to find this information in english for you.

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I don´t know how Chávez´s face would have look like, if "Maravilla" had not broken his left hand , he is left handed.
    I found this link in english

http://www.boxingnews24.com/2012/09/...ver-chavez-jr/

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I think the fight would have been stopped if Sergio had both hands - not through a KO, but a TKO.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Chavez has a case of Amir Khan syndrome in that he believes his own hype and does not have the skills to back it up.It is stupid that at 26 he has more wins than Sugar Ray Leonard had fights.Perhaps Amir Khan syndrome is not fair,Chavez did show heart.If he backs up the hype machine and works on his ring craft he will have a bright future.Lets hope Martinez at least knocked some sense into him
    Amir is way more talented than Chavez, but it's a similar problem. They also share the 'I need to show the world I'm a tough guy' problem - Amir has been way, way too static in his fighting since the Prescott fight.

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Bin you nailed it , khan seems to need to show he can take a hit. Better fighters don't need to prove it .

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    'Better' or 'brighter'?

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Both

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Hey Binnie What did you make of the dropping roach story ?

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Well, I think it's an unwise move.

Partly, it's a case of a fighter looking for reasons for why his losing other than himself - 'Roach is too busy with other fighters' and so on (I mean, he asked Roach to drop Pacquiao for fuck's sake!).

But in Amir's case, I think the problems are deeper set than that. He stopped listening and learning, and the best fighters always evolve. Those defences problems have been there since day 1, and he's never learnt to iron them out - when you start fighting the best guys in the world, they're going to catch you. Roach had managed to get Amir to a point where he was working towards being more complete defensively, but then when he did get tagged by Maidanna he reverted to his macho-man bullshit rather than getting on his toes and using his natural speed advantages. That smacks of a guy with something to prove to himself.

I'm intrigued to know who his new trainer will be, and I hope he's someone who Amir can learn from. Manny Steward would be a great, great choice. He's bring the natural boxer out of Khan, I think. I suspect that a business decision will have been made, however: Amir's career is in the toilet and he may be looking for a couple more fights before getting out. In that mode, someone cheaper is smarter.

The Starchild
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Just read Martinez is looking for a catchweight fight against Miguel Cotto next year.That could be an interesting fight but I don't think Cotto has the skills to beat Martinez

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Just read Martinez is looking for a catchweight fight against Miguel Cotto next year.That could be an interesting fight but I don't think Cotto has the skills to beat Martinez
    I read the same in the local news here

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I don't see Cotto beating Martinez either...dude is as least as fast as Mayweather and hits harder than Pacquiao.

The Starchild
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I don't see it either.But Cotto is a warrior and would keep trying to come forward.I think it would be an entertaining fight

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Chavez kept trying to come forward, too... didn't work out so well for him (aside from that one lucky shot that STILL didn't finish Martinez). Cotto's light-years ahead of Chavez skill wise and every other way you can think, but I don't think it'd make that much of a difference...

The Starchild
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    So Ricky Hatton's comback is on November 24 in manchester,Not sure who he will fight.I still can't help wondering why he is doing this.The only reason I can see is to exorcise and demons from his Pacquio loss.I don't really see this comeback lasting more than 3 or 4 fights

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    So Ricky Hatton's comback is on November 24 in manchester,Not sure who he will fight.I still can't help wondering why he is doing this.The only reason I can see is to exorcise and demons from his Pacquio loss.I don't really see this comeback lasting more than 3 or 4 fights
    If he's not careful, I'd be surprised if it lasts 3 or 4 rounds...

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Am not sure he will make it to the ring , am not sure he is in the right head space to become a serious athlete again , reading about the fighting with his dad and his irregular behaviours when he retired am not sure any of this will end well

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I don't see it either.But Cotto is a warrior and would keep trying to come forward.I think it would be an entertaining fight
    I think it will be a retirement fight for Cotto. Martinez is all wrong for him: faster, awkaward and with decent power. I love Cotto, but his advisers need to keep him away from Martinez.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Ego is crucial here (it certainly isn't money!)

Hatton was a damn fine fighter, but 3 years out is a long time in any sport. I will reserve judgement until I see the comeback performance (hopefully against a journeyman), but in my opinion Hatton has not been 'right' since the Mayweather fighter in 2007.

Even at 80%, however, he's still good enough to battle the likes of Ortiz, Berto, Peterson, Khan't, and Judah.

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Binnie , I hope your right I was always a fan of hatton my worry is that this is gonna end up a cautionary tale . For what ever reason from what I read the whole drugs and beer binges the bouts of depression I think this isn't someone who wants to box it's more just someone who doesn't know what else to do to calm his inner demons .....

God that sounds dramatic lol

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I think you're absolutely right, mate.

Imagine doing something 24/7 for 20 years, having 40,000 people scream your name for doing it, and then................................nothing.

Too many champs come back, and I can't remember many happy endings.

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    How does this sound ,
    One last big fight ,khan vs hatton some big stadium full of punters , he retires khan . Ends his career healthy wealthy and a winner . Jobs a good un, everybody's happy

The Starchild
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by vandeleur View Post
    How does this sound ,
    One last big fight ,khan vs hatton some big stadium full of punters , he retires khan . Ends his career healthy wealthy and a winner . Jobs a good un, everybody's happy
    Retires Khan sounds like a dream come true

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I see that it has been reported that Chavez Jr tested positive for maryjane after the fight. Kind of speaks to Chavez' immaturity given he would have to have smoked dope within 30 days of the fight taking place. Maybe he was worried about the beating he was going to take and had to get his mind together.
    RIDE TO LIVE, LIVE TO RIDE
    LET `EM ROLL ONE MORE TIME

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by sonrisa salvaje View Post
    I see that it has been reported that Chavez Jr tested positive for maryjane after the fight. Kind of speaks to Chavez' immaturity given he would have to have smoked dope within 30 days of the fight taking place. Maybe he was worried about the beating he was going to take and had to get his mind together.

Or maybe he figured, "I just got humiliated BADLY...I could use to burn one..." but he should have waited until after the fight testing completed... my MMA buddies at the office were talking about this yesterday, and what a dumbass Chavez is for smoking out when he KNEW he was being tested...

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Chavez is clearly an idiot.

I'd be amazed if he ever wins another world title.

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by binnie View Post
    Chavez is clearly an idiot.

I'd be amazed if he ever wins another world title.
    Even more ironic since part of the 24/7 backstory was about him basically staging an intervention with his dad a few years back, and his going on about "those drugs" hurting his father. I'm imagining "those drugs" Chavez Sr was into weren't even remotely as tame as weed, but still - makes him come off like a giant hypocrite.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Nevertheless, I'm keen to see who they match him with next.

Geale? Golvokin? Peter Quilin (that's a good fight)? Pavlik?

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    RIP Corrie Sanders.

Shot dead at 47.

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    That sucks.

Anybody watch the Martinez-Chavez replay last night? Uh, why was Martinez crying in his dressing room after the fight? He won, FFS!

Thread Information