Page 65 of 84 FirstFirst ... 155152535455565758596061626364656667686970717273747576777879 ... LastLast
Results 2,561 to 2,600 of 3351

Thread: The Army Boxing Thread

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    It was a surprise - and a strange fight.

I actually had it even. Donaire was the aggressor for most of the fight (not necessarily effectively, but he was forcing the action), and Rigondeux was negative a lot of the time, but stole rounds with crisp flurries towards the end. A true chess match between master boxers. Not too sure I'd agree with 'out-classed' - more, flumaxed (sp?). Donaire just couldn't work out a guy whose feet were so much faster than him, a fact compounded by Rigondeux's south-paw stance (meaning Donaire couldn't cut off the ring). You could tell ND was confused because he was so gun shy, which is unusual.

Rigondeux faught a smart fight. Kudos to him.

The rematch will be interesting. DO SOME SOUTPAW SPARRING DONAIRE!!
    The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by binnie View Post
    It was a surprise - and a strange fight.

I actually had it even. Donaire was the aggressor for most of the fight (not necessarily effectively, but he was forcing the action), and Rigondeux was negative a lot of the time, but stole rounds with crisp flurries towards the end. A true chess match between master boxers. Not too sure I'd agree with 'out-classed' - more, flumaxed (sp?). Donaire just couldn't work out a guy whose feet were so much faster than him, a fact compounded by Rigondeux's south-paw stance (meaning Donaire couldn't cut off the ring). You could tell ND was confused because he was so gun shy, which is unusual.

Rigondeux faught a smart fight. Kudos to him.

The rematch will be interesting. DO SOME SOUTPAW SPARRING DONAIRE!!

OK, "flummoxed" it is then.... Dunno, 400 amateur fights under GR's belt is still 400 fights... the dude has sick skills, but yes pissed me of because he seemed like he was running, pot-shotting and stealing rounds all night. Partly because he's that good, but mostly because Donaire LET him.

The rematch will be interesting... Donaire's definitely more powerful, as evidenced by the knockdown and the fact he was walking through some brutal shots from Rigondeux.

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Alvarez-Trout is tomorrow night... any predictions? Any binnie breakdown?

I kinda think Trout is gonna win this, just based on the fact that he was walking through - and laughing off - everything Cotto threw at him, and apart from a shot Mosely this is Alvarez' first real test...should be interesting.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    The binnie breakdown: Saul 'Canelo' Alvarez vs Austin 'No Doubt' Trout (154lbs)

This is a story of two young guns clashing on their rise to the top: one (Alvarez) hyped and steered through a series of 'name' wins into the starlight almost from the day he turned pro; the other (Trout) a guy who has floated somewhat under the radar until his demolition of Miguel Cotto. Tonight we find out who is the man at 154, and this is a genuine pick 'em fight. You could argue that Cotto is on the slide (although claims to that extent have been exaggerated) and that he is small at 154, but Trout's performance was astonishing - poised, controlled and confident, he picked his shots well and had a tremendous gameplan against of the the best fighters of the past ten years. He is the slightly bigger man tonight, and his southpaw style may very well give Alvarez problems, especially in the early rounds. He is not a noted puncher, and I'd be amazed if he stops Alvarez, but I can see him picking his shots and combinations well to leave the Mexican in trouble.

Alvarez seems like a star in the making. Heavy handed (although his power has been overstated), his victories over big names has rightly earned him acclaim. He certainly comes to fight, but until many past Mexican warriors he values skill over brawling. He is more of a boxer puncher, and his footwork and movement belie his age. You could say, however, that he is somewhat untested - yet to face a big name in their prime, or a guy bigger than him who can move, on Saturday he is going to face both, and you can never really know how that is going to pan out. Remember how another 'star in the making' of recent years buckled under pressure (Victor Ortiz). If we find anything out tonight, it will be how good (or not) Alvarez is.

I smell an upset here. It will be close, put I just sense that Trout may be able to nick it via a UD.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    The binnie Breakdown: Tyson Fury vs Steve Cunningham (heavyweight).

An interesting fight in an underwhelming division. Say what you will about Fury, he gets better with every fight. Slowly learning to move, use his hand speed, and make the best of his (gigantic) size, he has beaten a steady stream of quality opposition en route to an inevitable title shot (Martin Rogan, Vinny Madalone and Derek Chisora being the most prominent). In Steve Cunningham, he make his US debut against a man who is not really a heavyweight at all. A former cruiserwight champion, Cunningham will be perhaps the most skillful boxer Fury has faced, and that could pose the giant problems. Given that a) Cunningham is giving away over 40lbs; b) over 6'' in height; c) was not a puncher at cruiser; and d) we don't really know what he's like a heavyweight, you have to figure he's got a heck of challenge in front of him.

I'd not be surprised if Cunningham gets some shots in, and maybe even surprises Fury a bit. But sooner or later, I expect the bigger man to impose his size and win via a stoppage in the later round.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Fury KO'd Cunningham in the 7th, after being knocked down himself in the second. He showed mental toughness tonight, but he's still too easy to hit.

I had given Cunningham every round until the KO (although you could make a case for Fury winning the 1st and being even in the 5th).

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Alvarez won the decision.

I had Trout ahead. Very strange scoring from the judges (and I don't like open scoring).

The Starchild
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Bitch View Post
    Going to be different and say Canelo by decision
    Oh yes

To be honest I would agree with you on this binnie
    I really love you baby, I love what you've got
    Let's get together we can, Get hot

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Good binnie break down on the fury fight , you pretty much called it .
    fuck your fucking framing

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Alvarez won the decision.

I had Trout ahead. Very strange scoring from the judges (and I don't like open scoring).
    I was surprised Alvarez was able to knock Trout down for the first time in his career. Guess that was either a lucky shot or he hits harder than Cotto. Other than the knockdown, thought Trout was the busier and more aggressive of the two as well.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Bitch View Post
    Oh yes

To be honest I would agree with you on this binnie
    Replace 'this' with 'everything' and I'll love you forever

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jhale667 View Post
    I was surprised Alvarez was able to knock Trout down for the first time in his career. Guess that was either a lucky shot or he hits harder than Cotto. Other than the knockdown, thought Trout was the busier and more aggressive of the two as well.
    Alvarez hits harder than Cotto. Maybe not in a P4P sense, but in a 'real' sense. He's much bigger.

Can't say I was that impressed with him last night. I'd be surprised if they rush him up to 160......

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    For those who didn't see it, here it is (with Russian commentary). It won't be up for long, so watch now.

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Alvarez hits harder than Cotto. Maybe not in a P4P sense, but in a 'real' sense. He's much bigger.

Can't say I was that impressed with him last night. I'd be surprised if they rush him up to 160......
    I wasn't impressed with him at all. Seems he's been working on head movement, but he was doing a lot of showboating for a dude barely throwing punches. I'd heard going in that Trout would need a knockout to win, and that seems to have held true... still think he outworked Alvarez overall...

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Me too. Wouldn't call it a 'robbery', but I'd certainly call it the wrong decision.

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Seriously. I could've seen a draw, but some of those scores were just ridiculous. Especially when the guy who wasn't punching was ahead on 2 out of 3 by such a retarded margin. What fight were they watching?

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Any predictions for the Mayweather-Guerrero(sp?) fight this weekend? Guerero is tough, but he's NOT going to be able to bully Floyd like he did Andre Berto. He's talking a bunch of shit (used to like him prior to the Berto fight, but he's turning into quite the douche lately), but he's yet to fight anyone of Floyd's caiber... should be interesting...

Floyd's going to have Sr. AND Roger in his corner (which the Guerrero camp arrogantly thinks has something to do with them - please), so that's kinda cool.

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    It's an interesting match up , Guerrero is gonna try and rough it up . Seen some pundits even predict Guerrero could nick it , which was a surprise .
    Think it's mayweather on points but its gonna be a tough tough old fight .
    Could be a cracker

Von loves Brady
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Floyd smokes him before or in the 8th round. With Paq-fraud off the roids and not even an interesting fight for Floyd anymore I am hoping to see him beat Saul Alvarez's ass next and then he might as well retire.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Seriously. I could've seen a draw, but some of those scores were just ridiculous. Especially when the guy who wasn't punching was ahead on 2 out of 3 by such a retarded margin. What fight were they watching?
    I really don't know. All I can think is that although Trout was throwing, he look hesitant an uncommitted to some of his punches. Perhaps that was what the judges saw.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by vandeleur View Post
    It's an interesting match up , Guerrero is gonna try and rough it up . Seen some pundits even predict Guerrero could nick it , which was a surprise .
    Think it's mayweather on points but its gonna be a tough tough old fight .
    Could be a cracker
    I'm with you on this. I think it might be closer than many people think.

The fact is we don't know what Floyd is going to look like after another year off and 36 years old. In recent fights he hasn't been moving as much as he used to, and that allowed Cotto to stay on him all night (not that the fight was close). Guerrero is tough, tough, tough and he'll keep coming. I expect it to look a lot like Floyd-Cotto.

Don't see a KO either way

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by TFM_Dale View Post
    Floyd smokes him before or in the 8th round. With Paq-fraud off the roids and not even an interesting fight for Floyd anymore I am hoping to see him beat Saul Alvarez's ass next and then he might as well retire.
    He's not going to retire yet - he's just signed the biggest deal in sports history Showtime for a 6-fights. Guerrero is the first. The others rumoured include: Amir Khan, Devon Alexander, Maidana (sp) and Alvarez. I expect Oscar De La Hoya will push for the Alvarez fight - it's the only one on the list that is risky for Floyd at this stage of the game.

Von loves Brady
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    The difference I see is the Cotto fight was at 154 (I'm pretty sure) and Floyd will be at his more natural to him 147 for this one. As with any fight one punch can end it, I just don't consider Guerrero to be in Floyd's league, even at the age of 36. We will know soon enough though

Von loves Brady
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    He's not going to retire yet - he's just signed the biggest deal in sports history Showtime for a 6-fights. Guerrero is the first. The others rumoured include: Amir Khan, Devon Alexander, Maidana (sp) and Alvarez. I expect Oscar De La Hoya will push for the Alvarez fight - it's the only one on the list that is risky for Floyd at this stage of the game.
    I know, just saying their isn't much left for him to do in my opinion. I would hate to see him end up like Roy Jones. That fucker was bad assed and just held on to long.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Sergio Martinez takes on Martin Murray this Saturday too.

Always good to what Martinez, and Murray is a good fight who will come to win. Might be closer than people think....

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    roy jones is still talking about fighting collins
    Last edited by vandeleur; 04-24-2013 at 03:08 PM.

Von loves Brady
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by vandeleur View Post
    roy jones is still taking about fighting collins
    God I hope not, dude needs to retire and enjoy himself before something majorly bad happens.

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Yeah he is a link from last week .

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/boxing/22110555

Jones was a giant , and he is trying to fuck his reputation by not retiring.
    Its testament to how good he was that he hasnt .

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I really wish Jones would retire. Sucks to see him performing so poorly of late, and I too worry at the rate his skills are declining he's going to get hurt badly. Still think Floyd takes Guerrero. But then I had Trout over Alvarez...

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I really wish Jones would retire. Sucks to see him performing so poorly of late, and I too worry at the rate his skills are declining he's going to get hurt badly. Still think Floyd takes Guerrero. But then I had Trout over Alvarez...
    I had Trout over Alvarez, too (and I still think that both of us were right).

It all comes down to how far (if at all) Floyd has deteriorated. That's Guerrero's only hope.

As for Roy Jones - he should have retired years ago. Fighting Collins is both stupid (given their age) and pointless (given that Collins hasn't laced 'em up for 15 years).

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    They re ran the Kessler froch war tonight on sky sports with froch discussing .But during it Andre ward was tweeting froch giving him stick so they had a bit or banter

@Carl_Froch: @andreward @skysportsboxing You make me laugh Ward! What's happened to your career!? So boring kid, you could put a glass eye to sleep.

Is an example

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I had Trout over Alvarez, too (and I still think that both of us were right).

It all comes down to how far (if at all) Floyd has deteriorated. That's Guerrero's only hope.

As for Roy Jones - he should have retired years ago. Fighting Collins is both stupid (given their age) and pointless (given that Collins hasn't laced 'em up for 15 years).

Supposedly this is the longest Floyd has trained for a fight in quite some time. Could be in part due to the layoff, but if Guerrero is the "tune-up" fight, he must still feel pretty confident... agree deterioration is Guerrero's only hope. It ain't like he can out-box him by any stretch of the imagination, so he'll have to turn it into a brawl. Betting Floyd will be way more willing to stand and trade like he has been lately (more like stand, clock the other dude and make him miss), but he's too smart to play the other dude's game.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    It is good news that Floyd has been training for a long time. Shows he's not taking anyone lightly....

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Totally agree, and while I think Floyd wil win a UD if not stop Guerrero, he can't for a second take him lightly. Oh, and I screwed up - Martinez fights THIS weekend, Floyd fights next...

Don't know much at all about the guy Sergio M's fighting...?

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Totally agree, and while I think Floyd wil win a UD if not stop Guerrero, he can't for a second take him lightly. Oh, and I screwed up - Martinez fights THIS weekend, Floyd fights next...

Don't know much at all about the guy Sergio M's fighting...?
    I know you screwed up (thus my mentioning Martinez) but I didn't want to be a douche and point it out.

Murray is a very, very good fight who's been teetering around at world level for quite some time now. Good skill set, decent power, and tough. If Sergio takes him lightly, he could be in for a tough night. I expect Martinez to win, of course, but Murray is the sort of fighter who is a nightmare if you're not 100%

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Paulie Malignaggi - Adrien Broner has just been anounced at 147 (where Paulie has a belt).

Interesting fight. Broner at 147? I'm intrigued......

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Bit of a weight jump .... Tho it's been done before and broner looks the part

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Bit of a jump, but the kid is phenomenal...and supposedly Paulie has no power. That can't be said of Broner, he's destroyed everyone I've seen him against. Should be good!

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Yeah: they're using Paulie's name to make Broner at 147.

The binnie breakdown. Amir Khan - Julio Diaz at 143 (bullshit catchweight) on Saturday.

Julio Diaz is a tough, tough mofo who comes to fight. Khan is at a crossroads - one more loss to a guy who is not A league and he might as well hang 'em up. Whilst Amir is always somewhat vulnerable to getting his ass KO'd, you'd have to figure that he has too much for Diaz in most departments: speed, comobs, work rate. Expect Khan to move more than he has in recent fights, and use his jab to wear Diaz down. Diaz is more than capable of winning, but his only really chance is if Khan gets sloppy. I think he has too much to lose to allow that to happen.

Khan by UD.

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Yeah last chance saloon for khan , he has to win and has to look good .

Thread Information