Page 67 of 84 FirstFirst ... 175354555657585960616263646566676869707172737475767778798081 ... LastLast
Results 2,641 to 2,680 of 3351

Thread: The Army Boxing Thread

Von loves Brady
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by binnie View Post
    I think the Alvarez fighter would pose a considerable challenge for Floyd (size + power).

I'd be amazed if Alvarez is the opponent lined-up for Floyd's scheduled September bout. Wouldn't they wait until 5.5.14 to get the extra Cinqo De Mayo PPV numbers? I suspect so.......

I think one of the following will be next: Devon Alexander, Marcus Maidanna or Amir Khan).
    I agree, if he sticks to the plan to fight in September it will be a glorified sparring session with somebody that has no business being in the ring with him. I'm just looking forward to a Alvarez fight, I think Floyd will smoke him.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I think Floyd beats Alvarez - but it wouldn't be easy. Alvarez is naturally much bigger and stronger (he'd be about 175lbs on the night), has decent power (although this is overstated) and picks his shots very, very well (he isn't a straightforward slugger). I think the fight will happen, but it will happen in May next year.

The boxing websites are coming out with their usual shit, stating that Floyd should fight Martinez or Golvolkin. These guys are middleweights - Floyd is a small welterweight. What do people want? Then they mention Pacquiao or Bradley - logical fights were it not for the Bob Arum factor. Arum and Mayweather loathe one another, and that makes doing business impossible. And boxing, sadly, is business.
    The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Von loves Brady
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I think Floyd beats Alvarez - but it wouldn't be easy. Alvarez is naturally much bigger and stronger (he'd be about 175lbs on the night), has decent power (although this is overstated) and picks his shots very, very well (he isn't a straightforward slugger). I think the fight will happen, but it will happen in May next year.

The boxing websites are coming out with their usual shit, stating that Floyd should fight Martinez or Golvolkin. These guys are middleweights - Floyd is a small welterweight. What do people want? Then they mention Pacquiao or Bradley - logical fights were it not for the Bob Arum factor. Arum and Mayweather loathe one another, and that makes doing business impossible. And boxing, sadly, is business.
    I never thought paq-fraud had a chance anyway, after his last few fights it would almost be a waste of Floyd's time to beat the shit out of him.

Von loves Brady
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Would be funny if Floyd destroyed Bradley before Paq got another shot, you know that would burn his ass.

The Starchild
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by TFM_Dale View Post
    I never thought paq-fraud had a chance anyway, after his last few fights it would almost be a waste of Floyd's time to beat the shit out of him.
    I agree.I doubt i would pay for this fight after Manny's last few.His day's as a top dog are pretty much done after the vicious KO.
    I really love you baby, I love what you've got
    Let's get together we can, Get hot

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Well, Pacman would be the biggest money fight. I always thought it would be interesting - Manny's is very fast, and has this awkward, erratic rhythm that makes him difficult to time.

Pacman is - without question - an ATG fighter. He is at his best, however, against fighters: guys who stand in front of him and try to trade, and against whom he can use his faster feet and hands to overwhelm. The guys he looks less impressive against are boxers - like Juan Manuel Marquez. And Floyd presents all of those problems.

The fights has all of the makings of a classic boxer/fighter match up, but it will never happen now unless Arum decides he wants to sacrifice his big cash cow......

The Starchild
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    It will be interesting to see where Manny's head is at in his next fight.Physically i think he has a few more years in him but i wonder what (if any) psychological effects the KO has had

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Missed my 8th round or sooner prediction but Floyd is beating this boy like a drum! Best in the world. Period.
    He embarrassed the shit out of Guerrero, as Binnie pointed out - he exposed every one of his flaws, and pot-shotted him ALL NIGHT. It was a beautiful sight. Dude puts on a boxing clinic every time he gets in the ring. Ghost, busted...

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I feel the need to point out that I really like/respect Guerrero. Perhaps the arrogant douche stuff in the build-up to this fight was just nervous or over-compensation. Who knows?

Either way, I'd love to see this raise his profile into some more big fighter. Guerrero-Bradley would be EPIC. I also think he could beat just about everyone at 140.

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I have more respect for Guererro's WIFE for all she's been through, but the douche act pretty much ruined him for me - and I WAS a fan. A fight with Bradley would be interesting, because he's got the power to hurt Bradley, and UNlike Floyd, Guererro would connect with him ALL NIGHT as opposed to missing all night like he did Saturday.... did he tag Floyd ONCE in 12 rounds? 'Cause if he did, we didn't see it...

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Aside from a few body shots, he landed nothing of note..............

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Could a beating like that , being so schooled knock Guererro's confidence ?
    fuck your fucking framing

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by vandeleur View Post
    He was looking REEEEALLY frustrated and desperate towards the later rounds... definitely didn't help his confidence looking like an amateur all night.

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    OK, just spoke to my friend who's into MMA, and he said he thought the ref was bought off, shouldn't have broke the clinches as soon as he did...not sure how that would've HELPED Guerrero, but kinda interesting he'd say that....?

Von loves Brady
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jhale667 View Post
    OK, just spoke to my friend who's into MMA, and he said he thought the ref was bought off, shouldn't have broke the clinches as soon as he did...not sure how that would've HELPED Guerrero, but kinda interesting he'd say that....?
    Would have helped Floyd close his eye up even faster. He couldn't hit him, a ref can't help with that.

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Would have helped Floyd close his eye up even faster. He couldn't hit him, a ref can't help with that.
    Yeah, my thoughts exactly - wasn't sure how the ref would've made Ghost do any less swinging at air...

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Yes. If you look at Floyd's opponents, they're never the same again. Not because he physically beats them that bad, but because the gulf in class is so great. Imagine, you've been king shit in every gymn and in every fight you've ever been in, and then you're faced with a whole other level. Makes you look in the mirror.

I really hope Guerrero bucks that trend.
    Last edited by binnie; 05-06-2013 at 02:42 PM. Reason: spelling

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    BS. For two reasons:

a) Guerrero was coming of worse in the inside fighting (just like Ricky Hatton did)

b) Refs break clinches when the fighters stop throwing punches. If Guerrero was tied up by Floyd (which he usually was) the ref is obligated to break them.

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    BS. For two reasons:

a) Guerrero was coming of worse in the inside fighting (just like Ricky Hatton did)

b) Refs break clinches when the fighters stop throwing punches. If Guerrero was tied up by Floyd (which he usually was) the ref is obligated to break them.
    Totally agree. Wanted other opinions, but this guy is a HUGE Pacfraud fan, so anything to belittle Floyd's accomplishments...

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    For anyone who missed it... check it out, probably won't be up long...

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Too bad Floyd busted his hand with that HUGE right hook that staggered Guerrero or there WOULD have been a knockout... think it was in the 8th... 2:45

Now Guerrero's dad is saying Floyd ran all night... BULLSHIT. Even when he stood still his kid couldn't touch him. Rueben Guerrero also said he wants to fight Floyd Sr. - to which Sr. replied "Do you know his record? 1 and 7 and he got KNOCKED OUT 6 TIMES - He wouldn't last 2 rounds with me!"

The dads may fight for charity... Floyd Sr. will HURT him.... Rueben G needs to stop talking shit!

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Here is the Wladimit fight from Saturday.

Say what you want about them, but they beat everyone who is put in front of them....

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Manny Pacquiao - Brandon Rios slated for Nov 24th (in China?)

THAT is a fight. Can you say WAAAAAAAAR?

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Manny Pacquiao - Brandon Rios slated for Nov 24th (in China?)

THAT is a fight. Can you say WAAAAAAAAR?
    OH, that's gonna be interesting... Rios is NUTS, and WILL NOT STOP unless Pac kills him... which I'm doubting he has the power (or the will left) to do...

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Got some kind of sinus ick, so stayed home and watched the Mayweather fight again, a couple of rounds twice (cool thing about having the East and West coast Showtime feeds). Didn't see anything upon review that suggested Guerrero ever had a chance after the first or second rounds. Even after Floyd effed his right hand up it was still obvious he could pick Ghost apart all night. It was obvious how outclassed Guerrero was. HE knew it. He put on a brave face, but in the corner he looked seriously discouraged and frankly terrified. No matter how much posturing he did at the bell between rounds trying to stare Floyd down, when he got back to his corner each time, HE LOOKED BEATEN. Why the F did he raise his hand after the 12th, because he got lucky and was still standing?

And Rueben G running out screaming "You said toe to toe! You said toe to toe! You said we were gonna fight toe to toe!" after the bell ending the 12th round (which you COULDN'T hear in the bar due to all the celebration) - was embarrassing. First of all "we" weren't fighting . Secondly, even when Floyd stood squarely in front of him with his hands down Robert couldn't touch him. What an idiot. I really would like to see him and Floyd Sr. box for charity just so Sr. could kick his stupid ass. Reuben G. needs to step away and let a professional train his son, because he just proved how far removed he IS from one.

Anyway, I didn't see anything watching it without a couple hundred screaming fellow fight fans in the room that suggested anything - besides Floyd actually knocking him the F out that would happen differently in a possible rematch.

Von loves Brady
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Pretty sure Floyd could hop on one leg and still beat his ass, that goes for father and son.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk 2

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Pretty sure Floyd could hop on one leg and still beat his ass, that goes for father and son.

Agreed. Not sure what all the talk is of why "Floyd should be scared of Canelo" either, especially after that lackluster I-win-unless-I-pass-out anyway performance against Austin Trout. He's like a younger Cotto with less talent.

Von loves Brady
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Agreed. Not sure what all the talk is of why "Floyd should be scared of Canelo" either, especially after that lackluster I-win-unless-I-pass-out anyway performance against Austin Trout. He's like a younger Cotto with less talent.
    Agreed, the only thing that will stop Floyd is age, I just hope he knows when to say when, very hard for a boxer to do.

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I hope he does , nothing ruins a reputation like one fight to many , ask roy jones .

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I hope he does , nothing ruins a reputation like one fight to many , ask roy jones .
    I so wish Roy would retire and just stick to commentating on fights. Seriously fear he's going to get hurt if he keeps going.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Anyone see Lamont Peterson - Lucas Matthysse (140) on Saturday.

Mattyhsse punches like a motherfucker.......

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Am waiting for the binnie break down on the froch Kessler war on Saturday .
    Really looking forward to this little gem

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    The binnie Breakdown: Carl Froch vs Mikkel Kessler (168lbs)

This rematch is a genuine pick 'em fight between 2 of the top 3 fighters in the world at 168; and two of the toughest guys in boxing across the weight classes. Their first fight three years ago saw Kessler come out on top via points. On that occaision Froch struggled to handled Kessler's body work, and Kessler's fast hands and straighter punches meant that he came off better in the exchanges in what was a too-and-fro kind of fight. There is little reason to suspect that the rematch will be any less gruelling or thrilling. There are a few interesting factors, however. Froch has changed his style slightly, for one. Less keen to brawl for the sake of it, in fights against Glen Johnson and Arthur Abraham he showed the capacity to use his reach and break his man down behind the jab - and coming off a destruction of Lucian Bute can only have done his confidence wonders. Added into this that Carl geuinely seems to think he won the first fight (he didn't) and you have boxing's toughest on a mission. Whichever way you look at it, it's a tough night for Kessler.

Kessler has been less active since 2010, fighting only three times. That two of those fights - against Allan Green (at 175) and Brian Maggee - ended in brutal KO's is a sign that this is a guy who can bang, and his development of the body punching since working with trainer Jimmy Montoya is something which Froch and his camp will have to nulify to stand a chance. That being said, Kessler (despite being younger than Froch) might be the more ring worn of the two. Persistent injuries (eye, hand, back) have dogged him in recent years, and we might see that being the difference on Saturday. Added into Froch's hometown advantage (you have to figure that if it is close Froch will get the nod) Kessler is either going to have to stop Froch (which is unlikely) and win by a long, long way. Neither seems likely.

This all adds up to a close fight. I expect Froch to maintain distance this time round, and to stop Kessler working the body as much as possible. There will be exchanges, but Froch is getting Kessler on the slide I feel, and that will be the difference.

Froch by UD

(Hope I'm wrong: big Kessler fan, and if he is ageing better than I think a slow breaking down of Froch is not out of the question).

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Great break down , am going for froch UD. But fuck he will have to work for it.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I hope we're both wrong - Kessler is a real favourite of mine, and I'd hate to see him lose.

Fact is that neither of these guys can beat Andre Ward, so this really is only for bragging rights.....

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Yeah but ward isn't that exciting to watch ... This is the title fight for people who don't wanna watch spoilers .
    To be honest I know Kessler can bang and after bute I have more respect for froch's power . I did have a hunch if that's the word ( yeah hump back jokes aside ) that this wouldn't go to points . That maybe these warriors near the end would end up slugging it out.
    But my head ruled my hearts and I went with the UD.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Ward is a guy you watch and appreciate, but you don't necessarily root for.

Skills wise, he's on another planet.....

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I agree binnie , he is a class fighter . But I didn't really enjoy the ward Kessler fight .
    Lots of clinching ,cuddling .. A bit of spooning

The ability to never get hit and his movement are second to none but its not always great to watch .

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    You forgot about the blatant head-butting in the Ward-Kessler fight

I think that Kessler and his team underestimated Ward (who was relatively unknown at the start of the super six) and under-prepared for him. The fact that his trainer was sacked straight about speaks volumes. A re-match would be closer, I feel. But I sense Ward's movement would always be Kessler's undoing.....

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Where do you think the winner on Saturday goes next , after the traditional threats of re matches .
    Can't see either guys not wanting to revenge defeats against ward.

Thread Information