Page 68 of 84 FirstFirst ... 185455565758596061626364656667686970717273747576777879808182 ... LastLast
Results 2,681 to 2,720 of 3351

Thread: The Army Boxing Thread

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Well, Ward is struggling to get fights at the moment (he's cleaned out 168) so I can see a rematch benefitted all 3 guys in terms of $$$. I suspect neither Kessler or Froch think they can win, however.

For both guys, I think fights at 175 would be logical. The champions there are weak (if you forget about Chad Dawson) and retiring as a two weight champ is good for the ego.....
    The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    should be good either way , plus it's not terrible that its on a uk time and pubs are open
    fuck your fucking framing

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Right Ive gone back to the well had another think , I braved it out with Froch and Bute and was right.
    So there was a decent radio program on 5live tonight about the first Froch Kessler .
    It talked about the fight initially being off and then back on a couple of times and the problems of people getting to denmark for the fight due to the ash cloud.How the whole kessler fight was poorly prepared by the froch camp due to unforeseen circumstances caused by the icelandic ash cloud, even down to the flight to the fight which even now has Rob MCracken is shook up over it.
    Froch even admitted in the dressing room he wasnt in the mood to fight and felt low on energy.
    Any hoo am gonna get off the fence and going to go for froch in the very later rounds to tkd Kessler .
    Yip I know Ive changed my mind but its more going with my gut feeling.
    I know there similar ages but I feel Froch after the Bute fight is on the up and is going to be a better proposition than the last time he fought Kessler , were as that was a home crowd kessler at his best .
    I think that Froch is fighting on home turf and he is so up for this I think he will stop kessler at the death of the fight.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I don't buy into the 'I was put off by the difficulties of getting to Denmark' line Froch has been selling us for 3 years - fighters will look hard for excuses when they lose. Fact is he couldn't handle to body shots and was coming off worse in the exchanges because Kessler's punches were straighter (and therefore quicker).

I think Froch will edge a close fight this time because he's aged better and now fights smarter. The problem he has to nullify is Kessler's body work (which has gotten even better since the 1st fight) - the way to do that is not to make the fight an in-fight and maintain distance.

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    The more I talk about it the more am looking forward to the fight .
    decent odds on the fight , round 10-12 for froch stoppage is 10-1. The draw is 18-1 which isnt bad concidering how close the pundits are sayings its going to be.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    The weight of opinion seems to be that Froch will take it: the pundits seem to believe that Kessler is shot and already well into decline.

Should be a cracker, mind. Also on the bill is Tony Bellow - Isaac Chilemba at 175. That has all the makings of a belter too if you get chance to see it.

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I hope they show the George Groves fight. I have been really impressed with him and i just feel like he is going to be an elite fighter. I am picking Froch by late KO.
    RIDE TO LIVE, LIVE TO RIDE
    LET `EM ROLL ONE MORE TIME

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Froch wins on points.

A true thriller of a fight which could have been scored either way. Carl's work in the first three rounds probably edged it.

I had Kessler up by 1 point but it really was close.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Oh, and as per usual the judges' cards were utter shite. 118-110 - don't know what that guy was smoking....

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Tremendous fight , hats off to both because they gave their all in a bruiser.
    I thought froch edged it but Kessler took the middle rounds . In the last round I thought froch might even drop Kessler but he is a tough tough competitor .

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Yeah, I thought Kessler was gonna stop Froch in the 11th. Great fight.

Like I said, if Kessler had started faster he would probably have edged. I don't think he's anywhere near the man he was 5 years ago (speed and precision wise) - not taking anything away from Froch in saying that, just stating that it's clear.

I think that there might be a rematch. Either that or Froch could re-match Ward (which would be silly as Ward would just dance round him again) or perhaps fight BHop (assuming Bhop would be interested) at 175.

Kessler should probably hang 'em up. He's one of the best 168lbs has ever seen. If he decided to fight on, Arthur Abraham would be a good fight; as would Stieglitz (although he is on the up, and Mikkel is on the way down). Even Lucien Bute is a good fight for Kessler.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Mayweather - Alvarez is signed for Sept 14th at a catchweight of 152lbs.

Of the list of fighters Showtime lined up for their 6 pack, Alvarez is the only genuinely dangerous one for Floyd. Should be interesting.....

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by binnie View Post

Of the list of fighters Showtime lined up for their 6 pack, Alvarez is the only genuinely dangerous one for Floyd. Should be interesting.....
    Should be very interesting.

Even though it is at 152, the belts are on the line.

Mayweather had to do this fight. It's really the only one for him. I like this fight much better than a Pac-man fight.

Von loves Brady
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Tick tock Alvarez, I don't think it will be as close as alot of people are saying, just another name on Floyd's list, Alvarez can ask The Ghost how that feels

Von loves Brady
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Von Halen View Post
    Should be very interesting.

Even though it is at 152, the belts are on the line.

Mayweather had to do this fight. It's really the only one for him. I like this fight much better than a Pac-man fight.
    I agree with the Paq-Fraud part of it, that would be a massacre.

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by TFM_Dale View Post
    Tick tock Alvarez, I don't think it will be as close as alot of people are saying, just another name on Floyd's list, Alvarez can ask The Ghost how that feels

Totally agree. It's not like that little head-bob trick that confounded Trout is gonna bother Floyd in the slightes. Canelo's only hope is a lucky shot - as was Ghost's. Doubt it'll happen.

As for Pac-fraud - Floyd's seen the shot that drops him, and could make that happen way faster than JMM did.

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I think it will be a decent match up ,lets face it mayweather is running out of opponents to beat up.

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by vandeleur View Post
    I think it will be a decent match up ,lets face it mayweather is running out of opponents to beat up.
    Oh yeah, the dude's got some power, and will try to bully Floyd... but better fighters than him have tried that tact and failed miserably. Imagining short of a lucky shot, after feeling him out the first couple of rounds Floyd will make him look like an amateur like he did Guerrero and get the UD.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    The reason it is dangerous for Floyd (as far as any fight is 'dangerous' for Floyd is twofold):

1) Floyd has never looked as good at 154 as he does elsewhere (think DLH and Cotto)

2) Weight. Floyd will be about 148 in the ring (he isn't really a welter, let alone a light middle); Alvarez will be about 170. That is a HUGE difference, and it will be significant.

Alvarez will try to impose his size. Problem is that he's not a volume puncher - that will allow Floyd space.

But if Floyd wins, anyone who says he ducks fighters or doesn't fight them in their prime can blow me........

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    [QUOTEBut if Floyd wins, anyone who says he ducks fighters or doesn't fight them in their prime can blow me........[/QUOTE]

I thought that when they announced it , if there was any doubters this shuts them up

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I assume the plan is: get Alvarez out of the way; take an easier fight in January/ February; have another 'big' fight on May 5th.

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    "Big " fight ... Who tho at some point does he run out of credible opponents ?

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    "Big " fight ... Who tho at some point does he run out of credible opponents ?
    It is a problem.

I think of it like this: IF Floyd-Pac can happen, it will happen on May 5th next year or not at all. This is assuming Pacman beats Rios, of course.

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    At this point paq bring nothing to the table except a name really .

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Nah: don't write-off Pacman too soon.

JMM may FINALLY have gotten his vindication, but the fight was even up to the KO. There's still a bit of life in Pacman.....

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Not righting him off , was thinking more from the haggling contract point of view .
    The whole arum circus always wanted parity now there is no chance of that from a contract /purse/negotiation point of view it's mayweathers game .

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Not righting him off , was thinking more from the haggling contract point of view .
    The whole arum circus always wanted parity now there is no chance of that from a contract /purse/negotiation point of view it's mayweathers game .
    True.

However, the sad fact when it comes to contracts is that records don't mean much. PPV buys do. And Mayweather-Guerrero didn't do amazing numbers, where one suspects Pacman-Rios will (largely because it's being held abroad). Arum is the spanner in the works, but he may sacrifice Pacman to get one last gigantic payday out of him.....

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    True.

However, the sad fact when it comes to contracts is that records don't mean much. PPV buys do. And Mayweather-Guerrero didn't do amazing numbers, where one suspects Pacman-Rios will (largely because it's being held abroad). Arum is the spanner in the works, but he may sacrifice Pacman to get one last gigantic payday out of him.....
    I'm not sure Pac is even ready for Rios... dude can bang, is nuts, and WILL NOT QUIT...Pac hasn't had that kind of fire for a long time. He's been mentally beaten in his last two fights (getting knocked the F out not withstanding) because his heart's not in it anymore...

Also agree Alvarez will have a substantial post weigh-in size advantage. But you pegged the reason why I don't think it will do him much good: He's got some speed, not to Floyd's level mind you - but he doesn't throw a lot. Floyd will outwork him... I also look for Canelo to try that stupid head-bob thing, and get embarrassed when Floyd times it and bitch-slaps him a couple of times...

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Alvarez is hinting that he's going to work the body. Could be a bluff (why give the gameplan away?) That's what Cotto did, and they're similar fighters (but Alvarez is bigger).

Not sure I see how he gets close enough - Floyd's legs looked pretty good to me against Guerrero (I thought they'd gone around the time of the Mosely fight - because he was fighting in the pocket more - but it looks now like he was just adopting a more fan friendly style).

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jhale667 View Post
    I'm not sure Pac is even ready for Rios... dude can bang, is nuts, and WILL NOT QUIT...Pac hasn't had that kind of fire for a long time. He's been mentally beaten in his last two fights (getting knocked the F out not withstanding) because his heart's not in it anymore...

I know what you mean, and I thought the same thing. However, they've picked Rios because a) he's much smaller than Pacman; b) yes, he's a warrior, but he's damn easy to hit - and it will give Pacman confidence. Pacman needs a guy who can't move so he can let those whirlwhind combos go.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Chad Dawson got KO'd by Adonis Stevenson in one round on Saturday night.

Time to put a fork in Chad I'm afraid. Brilliant skills, but mental issues - the masterclass he put on against Thomas Adamek will stay with me for a long time.....

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Think Stevenson only dropped three punches

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    That was a great shot...Dawson got up, to his credit - but was seriously out on his feet, and the ref could tell.

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Do you think Stevenson was happy

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Just a tad, maybe...

This is interesting... Paulie Malignaggi says Floyd will not only beat Canelo, but will RUIN him...

Von loves Brady
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Just a tad, maybe...

This is interesting... Paulie Malignaggi says Floyd will not only beat Canelo, but will RUIN him...

I agree, tick tock Alvarez, tick tock.

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Also heard something interesting regarding the Broner-Malignaggi fight... apparently the sparring partner Broner hired to emulate Paulie knocked him the F out the other day... Just a rumor, but lots of "what happens in training camp stays in training camp" comments out there....

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Also heard today Vic Ortiz wants the winner of Mayweather-Alvarez... more like - he wants to be the first dude to fight Canelo after he loses to Floyd. No way does he really want another shot at (getting knocked the F out again by) Floyd.

roth beer pest
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Another one of those classic genius posts, sure to generate responses. You log on the next day to see what your witty gem has produced to find no one gets it and 2 knotheads want to stick their dicks in it... Well played, sir!!

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Also heard today Vic Ortiz wants the winner of Mayweather-Alvarez... more like - he wants to be the first dude to fight Canelo after he loses to Floyd. No way does he really want another shot at (getting knocked the F out again by) Floyd.
    Won't happen. A fight with Floyd wouldn't sell and Alvarez is waaaay too big for Ortiz. Victor should concentrate on some of the B+/A- fighters at 147 en route to a belt. He ain't done yet.

Thread Information