Member No
    Last Online
    12-27-2016 @ 08:33 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,785 Times in 1,252 Posts

Originally posted by binnie

Mayweather UD Hatton.

My heart says "Hatton's gonna get close, he's going to throw some of those crippling bodyshots, and spend all night with his head on Floyd's chest, eventaully wearing him down." But my head knows that ain't going to happen. Floyd will move around him and throw four, five, six punch combinations to his head all night. And Ricky will take them all night, and just keep coming. The sad thing is that I just don't think that Hatton comes forward fast enough to get near enough to Mayweather. I hope that I am wrong
    Ok, that was my prediction from the 29th of August. I'm modifying it: I still think that Floyd will win but it'll be close - I think I underdestimated Ricky's durability. floyd might throw the fast combinations but I don't think they'll be enough to hold Ricky off him, and sooner or later he's going to catch Floyd with something. I'm expecting a great fight - Mayweather by split decision
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

http://www.courant.com/sports/other/...,6106605.story

Donaire, Forrest retain boxing crowns by TKO at Foxwoods
    By TOMMY HINE | Courant Staff Writer
    December 2, 2007
    MASHANTUCKET - — It has reached the point where Antonio Tarver can't avoid Chad Dawson, New Haven's unbeaten WBC champion, much longer. He is fast running out of boxers.

Tarver disposed of another one Saturday night at Foxwoods, successfully defending his IBO light heavyweight championship when referee Steve Smoger stopped the bout after Danny Santiago was sent to the canvas for the second time with 2:53 left in the fourth round.

The crowd, which had booed the fighters for their lack of action at the end of the second round, chanted "Stop Ducking Dawson" after the fight was stopped. Tarver (26-4, 19 KOs) ignored the crowd, and he said he didn't hear the earlier boos.

"I didn't hear the crowd. I was too busy trying to execute," Tarver said.

"Early in the fight, Danny took some large shots. I broke him down early. I'm a patient fighter. That was our game plan."

Santiago's record fell to 29-4-1, with 19 KOs.

Tarver said he might like to defend against Jeff Lacy next.

"Just set 'em up, and I'll knock them down," Tarver said. "This is my division. Anyone who wants to be champion has to fight me."

Tarver's fight was the last of three title bouts.

In his first challenge since winning both the IBF and IBO flyweight championships, Nonito Donaire successfully defended the two titles when referee Charlie Dwyer stopped a scheduled 12-round bout with Luis Maldonado at 1:16 of the eighth. When Dwyer stepped in, blood streamed down both sides of Maldonado's disfigured face.

"Stop the fight," some fans yelled. Thirty seconds later, Dwyer did.

"I felt sluggish," Donaire (19-1, 12 KOs) said. "I had to rely more on my power than I usually do."

In the other title bout, Vernon Forrest successfully defended his WBC super welterweight title after he knocked down Michele Piccirillo for the third and final time, and referee Arthur Mercante stopped the fight at 2:21 of the 11th round.

"He hit me more than I expected," Forrest (40-2, 29 KOs) said. "He gave me some good work."

But it was Piccirillo (48-4, 30 KOs) who took the bulk of the punishment. Forrest sent Piccirillo to the canvas at the end of the sixth round and again in the ninth with an overhand right. When Forrest landed two more overhand rights to the head, Piccirillo went down and couldn't get to his feet before Mercante finished the count.

Maldonado (37-2-1, 28 KOs) was in trouble in the second round in his fight with Donaire when a clean punch opened a cut over the Mexican's left eye. An unintentional head butt in the third round opened a cut over Maldonado's right eye, and he bled profusely the rest of the fight.

In the fourth round, Donaire switched to southpaw, confusing Maldonado even more.

"He was fighting awkward," Donaire said. "If I had my legs in this fight, it would have been a lot easier for me. ... He's a great, strong fighter. I think tonight validated me. My next goal is to unify the titles and be the first Filipino to do so."

Maldonado was knocked to the canvas later in the seventh, but he was on his feet and took the standing eight count seconds before the bell.

One round later, it was over.

Unbeaten Tony Grano of Hebron (13-0-1) had a second-round TKO of John Battle in a scheduled six-round heavyweight bout on the undercard.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I'm surprised that there aren't more takers on Hatton-Mayweather. Here's a little synopsis as I see it:

Myth number one - Hatton is a glorified club fighter/slugger:

That is clearly bullshit. Ok, Hatton doesn't have Floyd's skills (who does?), but he's hardly a one dimensional slugger like Baldomir (who Mayweather has been sparring with for this fight, significant?). Ricky can do a lot more than simply charge forward and bang; he creates angles, he has fast hands (again, not as fast as Flyod but few are) and he is an excellent inside fighter. I'm sorry, but it is just bullshit to claim that a guy who has won three 'world' titles at two weights is a club fighter (IBF light-welter against Tszyu, WBA welter against Collazo, and IBF light welter against Urango.)

Myth Number Two - Hatton hasn't fought anybody.

It is certainly true that he hasn't fought anyone like Floyd, but he's got a decent record and he is undefeated. Critics say that Tszyu was old and inactive (36 and hadn't fought in 13 months) and that Castilio was a shot fighter. Well, that's conjecture but one's things for sure: until Hatton, no-one had put Castilio away and that old tough guy wanted no more of the Hitman after four rounds. Old or not, that;'s impressive. And Tszyu was still regarded as one of the best PFP fighters in the world - it was only after he lost that he suddenly became 'past it'. Reminds me of how Jeff 'the 168lb Mike Tyson' Lacy suddenly became a bum once Calzaghe spanked him.
    But anyone's record can be spun to look bad. Lets look at Mayweather. He beats Zab Judah, who was coming off a loss; he beats Baldomir, a joruneymen who got lucky against the erratic Judah and had never really done anything else of note; and he beats De La Hoya, himself a candidate for the "old" tag. If one were to be really nasty, they might point out that at 140 and 147 he never fought Tszyu, Margarito, and now Paul Williams or Cotto. Do I believe that any of this tarnishes how great a fighter Mayyweather is? No (although I don't think he's the best fighter in the world). Anyone's who's watched him should no he' a great champ, and the same thing shoudl be evident when you watch footage of Hatton.

Myth three - Hatton can't hack it at 147.

Well, he looked bloody awful against Collazo, but that was largely due to rushing up to the weight and being sick at the time. We will have to wait and see if he is better this time. One thing in his favour is that he hasn't ballooned between fights, and he's been nearer to fighting weight for weeks, actually listening to his nutritionist. We will have to wait and see.

Myth four - Hatton holds.

Well, it's actually true lol! As I said above, there's far more to Hatton than brawling. But I expect him to employ holding tactics on Saturday. Let's try and understand his thought process: "I am in the ring with one of the fastet, most skilled boxers in the world. Do I want to leave him room to do his thing, or do I want to get hold of him, wear him down, and make him fight my fight? Mmmm". Having said that, I think that LFoyd is a better inside fighter than people give him credit for so even if the fight does go this way it could be entertaining. Any Floyd fan who accuses this of been boring is really guilty of pot-kettle-black. It's almost always Floyd's opponetns who makes the fight.

I see this being a close fight. If Floyd's hands are as brittle as reports suggest then he is in for trouble because if he hasn't got the power to fend Ricky off then the Hitman will chase him all night, 3 minutes per round. Hatton seems really up for this, and I'm expecting a classic. Will Hatton be able to hit him? I think so. Will Mayweather cope with the pressure? I think it will bring out an even better Floyd. Mayweather's footwork will save the day for him on a close split decision.

king of cool
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    04-06-2018 @ 02:53 PM
    Status
    Thanks

On that HBO 24/7 shit, Mayweather has been playing up how badly broken down his body is....especially his hands.

Everybody here knows I have been slurping Floyd for years...and I won't stop now....

BUT...he may be in for a beat down. Can't believe I said that.

Having said that, ALL Floyd does is train. He'll be ready. He'll probably bust his right hand again, and still dance around and tap Hatton all night. Then get the decision, and people will boo because it wasn't exciting enough.
    Last edited by DlocRoth; 12-04-2007 at 09:12 AM.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by DlocRoth

BUT...he may be in for a beat down. Can't believe I said that.

Having said that, ALL Floyd does is train. He'll be ready. He'll probably bust his right hand again, and still dance around and tap Hatton all night. Then get the decision, and people will boo because it wasn't exciting enough.
    Yeah, I have it a feeling that it COULD go that way but I'm hoping it won't. I'm not too sure that he'd be able to hold Hatton off one-handed, and consequently he might have to fight.

For boxing, it's win-win either way. The welterweight division is packed with good fighters at the moment: Hatton, Mayweahter, Williams, Margarito (don't count him out), Mosely, De La Hoya wants a piece and Cintron is on the up and up. Plenty of killer fights waiting to be made.

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-07-2016 @ 01:20 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,110 Times in 2,874 Posts

Here's hoping it's a good fight...I'd like to see Floyd try to trade rather than peck and dance away all night.
    I still don't think Floyd's ever fought anyone who could truly test him...and anyone who could, he's stayed the hell away from...
    If he's not careful, Hatton will knock him into the next area code...

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I just hope it's not an anti-climax, although I'm pretty sure it won't be.

Will be watching it with my dad. By the time it's finished it'll be 4am UK time - good thing we're used to it after all these years of watching boxing!

king of cool
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Don't worry, Bin....

Just start drinking about 8 PM.

The time will fly.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Don't worry, Bin....

Just start drinking about 8 PM.

The time will fly.
    Well, there's actually some decent British boxing on before (about 10PM our time) so it'll be ok.

I'm looking forward to Lacy-Manfredo on the undercard, largely because I think it'll be funny. I give Lacy 4-5 round to shake off the ring rust and then it's only a matter of time until Manfredo is horizontal. Unless Manfredo has found some amazing new set of skills or something, lol...

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Heavyweight "unification" signed - a step in the right direction I guess...

From fightnews.com

Klitschko-Ibragimov NYC Presser!
    First heavyweight unificaton since the 90s

December 5, 2007

By Matt Richardson

Boxing is a funny business.

The last time there was a heavyweight unification bout, Emanuel Steward brought his talented but fragile heavyweight title-holder to Madison Square Garden in an attempt to unify the heavyweight division and add clarity to the sport's premiere division.

Flash forward 8 years and Steward is bringing a new talented but fragile heavyweight title-holder to the Garden in an attempt to once again unify the heavyweight division.

In 1999 Steward was in the corner of Lennox Lewis when he fought Evander Holyfield to an appalling draw in the main arena of the Garden.

In 2008, Steward will be in the corner of Wladimir Klitschko as Klitschko takes on his WBO counter-part Sultan Ibragimov in a fight that should help clarify the status quo in the division.

"This is a historic fight and a historic event," Klitschko, 49-3, 44 KO's said at the press conference to announce the fight on Tuesday morning at the Hard Rock Cafe in Times Square. "The fight is officially on. This is such a great fight, such a great city in such a great arena."

The fight will be held in the main arena of the Garden on Feb. 23, 2008.

"Sport is the only one language...one religion," Klitschko said. "It's about performance and I'm looking forward to putting on a great performance in this unification."

"You will see a great unification fight," Ibragimov, 22-0-1, 17 KO's said during a brief speech at the podium. "You will see a great fight with real heavyweights."

"This is a fight that I'm excited about," Steward said. "Wladimir Klitschko and Sultan Ibragimov are starting to come together to form one super heavyweight."

"Wladimir's become so proficient. He's become a master at controlling the ring. I'm very happy with his progress," said Steward.

"(Unification) is an important of what HBO and these fighters are trying to do," said HBO's Kerry Davis, who called the HBO-televised card a "great night of heavyweights."

In addition to the fight's broadcast the network will also show a 90-minute porgram entitled "Joe Louis: American Hero Betrayed." The program will air before the Klitschko-Ibragimov fight on the East Coast and after it on the West.

Still, both fighters and much of the media were skeptical of labeling the Klitschko-Ibragimov bout a "unification" when there are still belts being held by Ruslan Chagaev (WBA) and Oleg Maskaev (WBC). "I'm a boxing fan and I'm looking as a fan of boxing for one heavyweight champion," Klitschko said honestly.

"I hope that later we can get another title and another one. This is not the undisputed championship, it's just a unification," he said.

Steward however, had the quickest and likely most accurate response. It didn't matter anyway, the hall of fame trainer said, because it will last "about six months then it'll be split up again."

JABZ

In support of one of the many charities he assists, Klitschko is offering fans a chance to sign their names to the robe he will wear upon entry and exit into the ring for the fight against Ibragimov. "I'm going to enter the ring with this robe and I'm going to exit the ring with this robe," Klitschko said as he wore the draping red and gold attire over his blue suit. Interested parties will have to cough up $199 a signature. Klitschko says he expects to have as many as 10,000 signatures on the garment. There is also allegedly a deal in place for the robe to be purchased post-fight for $150,000. All proceeds will go to charity.

In addition to a huge size advantage, IBF champ Klitschko is actually a year younger than Ibragimov at 31 years old.

Tickets go on sale today thru Ticketmaster. According to promoters approximately 75 percent of the tickets are $300 or less.

The Don: Roth Army Militi
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    02-17-2024 @ 10:50 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Having said that, ALL Floyd does is train. He'll be ready.
    Not necessarily

It’s one thing going through the motions of training - it's something else to train with the hunger and determination that you need for a fight of this size.

In this fight Ricky has that, Floyd on the other hand I'm not sure of.

I think Floyd, his team and his huge ego have made a mistake and underestimated Ricky - Ricky will go at Floyd like few fighters have, and will keep coming at him, and will keep throwing punches.

My prediction is a close fight, but Hamilton to take a points win.

DILLIGAF?
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    02-22-2008 @ 04:07 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by Don Corleone
    Not necessarily

It’s one thing going through the motions of training - it's something else to train with the hunger and determination that you need for a fight of this size.

I think Floyd, his team and his huge ego have made a mistake and underestimated Ricky - Ricky will go at Floyd like few fighters have, and will keep coming at him, and will keep throwing punches.

Ricky looks fuckin shreaded... haven't seen the weigh-in's, but I hope he isn't right at the limit like he was in the (rather lame..) Collazo fight, when he moved up to welterweight and over-bulked himself. He'll need far more speed, & reflexes on overdrive to deal with Gayweather's quickness & ability, let alone the best defensive skills in boxing...

I think Ricky has a slight chance, and truly hope he knocks that little fuck's hundred thousand dollar dental work down his fuckin throat!! But, this will truly be the challenge of Ricky's blue-collar lifetime....

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Not necessarily

Good to see you in here Don! I hope that you're right about this, I really do. I say plit decision for Mayweather, as I think it'l be close - but I desperately want Hatton to win.

Originally posted by naturochem
    Ricky looks fuckin shreaded... haven't seen the weigh-in's, but I hope he isn't right at the limit like he was in the (rather lame..) Collazo fight, when he moved up to welterweight and over-bulked himself. He'll need far more speed, & reflexes on overdrive to deal with Gayweather's quickness & ability, let alone the best defensive skills in boxing...

I think Ricky has a slight chance, and truly hope he knocks that little fuck's hundred thousand dollar dental work down his fuckin throat!! But, this will truly be the challenge of Ricky's blue-collar lifetime....
    Ricky has been at or under weight for around a week - he has prepared his body fol welter this time. He won't be as shitty as he was against Collazo

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Good to see you in here Don!
    Thanks, didn't know we had a boxing thread or I'd have been here sooner - I enjoy watching boxing.

Roadie
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-31-2008 @ 08:18 PM
    Status
    Thanks

For my two peneth,
    I would love Hatton to do one on Mayweather , But my heart says he wont.
    I think Hatton Has a chance as mayweather might not take this serious as he should ,were as Hatton knows this is the fight of his life.
    I think Hatton has looked poor at times both Luis Collazo and Urango caused him trouble.But he looked good against Castillo.
    End of the day how much does Mayweather still want it.
    Heart and head say mayweather and my wallet at the bookies in the morning will be going mayweather in the 6th.

king of cool
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

T minus 5 minutes......

Have a ball, Bin....

I'm watching it with you...

60 fucking US dollars later....

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:43 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,347 Times in 6,031 Posts

I thought it was in another 2 hours?

I was thinking about watching it but crazy time and crazy money $40 pay per view here.

I'm off to bed.

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-11-2008 @ 02:07 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Had it 87-83 Mayweather, which was two points poorer than the judges at ringside (89-81).

Mayweather decided to start jabbing, which I was screaming for him to do, move and jab.

That first knockdown was devastating, Hatton went head-long into the turnbuckle in the corner.

Banned
    Ook Can This Be Glove?
    Member No
    Last Online
    11-18-2010 @ 04:07 PM
    Status
    Thanks

THE ONLY BUCKLES I TURN IN TO CORNERS FOR IS TO PEE

BC!!
    WHIZZ BANG SPLASH THAT THANG

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Round-by-round in the Mayweather-Hatton fight

By GREG BEACHAM, AP

Sports Writer

December 9, 2007

LAS VEGAS (AP) -- Round-by-round action in Floyd Mayweather Jr.'s WBC welterweight title fight with England's Ricky Hatton:

ROUND 1 -- Hatton charges from the opening bell. Mayweather holds the neck, and they wrestle. Both very active and mobile. Hatton lands a left hand, and so does Mayweather. Hatton trying to work inside, but Mayweather counterpunches early. Mayweather dodges, but Hatton lands a hand. Crowd roaring with every shot. Mayweather loses balance on defense, and his seven-step stumble drives the crowd mad. Hatton chases Mayweather twice into red corner. Repeated clinch, but Hatton keeps swinging one-handed. Mayweather gets a big crack, and fighters briefly scuffle at the bell.

Hatton's round.

ROUND 2 -- Hatton draws another roar with a quick opening punch. Hatton wants to brawl, and Mayweather is thinking about it. Hatton charges Mayweather on the ropes, and the champion needs all of his quickness to avoid it. Referee Joe Cortez calls time, warns both fighters. Mayweather bounces and weaves, and Hatton gets a straight right in. Mayweather lands a sharp left on Hatton's nose. Cortez gives another stern lecture, fearful of a wrestling match. Both run and wrestle to the bell.

Mayweather's round.

ROUND 3 -- Hatton leads with a left while striving to get inside. Mayweather sitting back, playing defense, working the body. Mayweather ducks a left hook. Another clinch. Cortez allowing Hatton greater freedom to stay inside. Hatton hugs Mayweather into ropes, and Hatton turns to Cortez -- but Mayweather lands a straight right and a shoulder shove. Mayweather ducks and dodges. Hatton is fighting a classic brawling style. Mayweather's nose is shiny, but Hatton's right eye begins to bleed

Mayweather's round.

ROUND 4 -- They trade fierce combinations in Mayweather's corner. Hatton works the body with a left, but Mayweather turns his shoulder. Hatton can't move Mayweather anywhere he doesn't want to go, and Mayweather's counterpunching has improved. Mayweather slips a straight left inside on Hatton's head. Mayweather snaps Hatton's neck twice with right hands, but Hatton stays in tight. Mayweather tattoos Hatton's face with combinations, picking at the cut. Hatton keeps charging, but Mayweather is in charge.

Mayweather's round.

ROUND 5 -- Hatton charges and shoves Mayweather into the corner, but Mayweather turns his shoulder for defense. Hatton still active with combinations. Mayweather sitting back, catching a breather on the ropes. A tangle of arms and heads in the corner. Mayweather content to sit back, and Hatton gains confidence for a combination. Hatton still vulnerable to Mayweather's speedy straight hands. The fighters lock arms, and Cortez warns. Mayweather puts a glove in Hatton's face, ending a round with little activity.

Hatton's round.

ROUND 6 -- Mayweather ducks underneath punches and blocks others, as usual. Hatton catches Mayweather's chin near the ropes, and the ensuing flury ends with Mayweather's upper body through the ropes. Cortez deducts a punch for a blow to the back of Mayweather's head, inciting the crowd's ire. Hatton reacts with disbelief. Another exciting combination results in little damage. Mayweather tags Hatton's chin with a straight right. The crowd produces its first anti-Cortez song of the night. They wrestle in Mayweather's corner, and Hatton plays to the crowd. Hatton is reluctant to go back to his corner at the bell.

Mayweather's round.

ROUND 7 -- Mayweather dances a full circle, then wraps up Hatton's arms. More wrestling in the corner, but both come out of it punching. Mayweather tries body shots, but Hatton is too quick. Mayweather blocks a nasty-looking combination. Hatton pushes to set up shots, but Mayweather has played this game before. Hatton barely avoids a right hand. They push in the center of the ring, Hatton constantly leaning forward. Mayweather lands a snapping left hand, then chases Hatton in a classic late-round surge.

Mayweather's round.

ROUND 8 -- Lots of movement, no punches landing for either fighter. Mayweather punches his way out of a clinch, then lands a sneaky right uppercut. Hatton responds admirably, but Mayweather catches Hatton flush with a straight right, sending Hatton staggering into him. Mayweather smells it, chasing him to the ropes and unloading as Hatton crouches. Hatton recovers and goes to the body as a few hundred fans chant "U-S-A!" over the English drumbeat. The fighters lean into each other. Mayweather slips inside and lands another series of shots, starting with a smashing right and punctuated by another. Mayweather unloads with a ferocity we've rarely seen from him in recent years, but Hatton stays upright.

Mayweather's round.

ROUND 9 -- "Hatton Wonderland" sounds less convincing now. Hatton still charging forward, and he gets Mayweather to the ropes without landing a square punch. Mayweather sitting back, catching Hatton again with another right that's too fast to block. Mayweather turns his shoulder, then lands another right. Mayweather slaps Hatton with a left, then makes Hatton whiff on a left hook. Hatton still stalking, but Mayweather slaps at his head. Mayweather lands another straight right counterpunch, fighting confidently.

Mayweather's round.

http://sports.yahoo.com/box/news?slu...v=ap&type=lgns

IN ROTH WE TRUST
    Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-08-2003 @ 08:08 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Round-by-round in the Mayweather-Hatton fight

By GREG BEACHAM, AP

Sports Writer

December 9, 2007

LAS VEGAS (AP) -- Round-by-round action in Floyd Mayweather Jr.'s WBC welterweight title fight with England's Ricky Hatton:

ROUND 1 -- Hatton charges from the opening bell. Mayweather holds the neck, and they wrestle. Both very active and mobile. Hatton lands a left hand, and so does Mayweather. Hatton trying to work inside, but Mayweather counterpunches early. Mayweather dodges, but Hatton lands a hand. Crowd roaring with every shot. Mayweather loses balance on defense, and his seven-step stumble drives the crowd mad. Hatton chases Mayweather twice into red corner. Repeated clinch, but Hatton keeps swinging one-handed. Mayweather gets a big crack, and fighters briefly scuffle at the bell.

Hatton's round.

ROUND 2 -- Hatton draws another roar with a quick opening punch. Hatton wants to brawl, and Mayweather is thinking about it. Hatton charges Mayweather on the ropes, and the champion needs all of his quickness to avoid it. Referee Joe Cortez calls time, warns both fighters. Mayweather bounces and weaves, and Hatton gets a straight right in. Mayweather lands a sharp left on Hatton's nose. Cortez gives another stern lecture, fearful of a wrestling match. Both run and wrestle to the bell.

Mayweather's round.

ROUND 3 -- Hatton leads with a left while striving to get inside. Mayweather sitting back, playing defense, working the body. Mayweather ducks a left hook. Another clinch. Cortez allowing Hatton greater freedom to stay inside. Hatton hugs Mayweather into ropes, and Hatton turns to Cortez -- but Mayweather lands a straight right and a shoulder shove. Mayweather ducks and dodges. Hatton is fighting a classic brawling style. Mayweather's nose is shiny, but Hatton's right eye begins to bleed

Mayweather's round.

ROUND 4 -- They trade fierce combinations in Mayweather's corner. Hatton works the body with a left, but Mayweather turns his shoulder. Hatton can't move Mayweather anywhere he doesn't want to go, and Mayweather's counterpunching has improved. Mayweather slips a straight left inside on Hatton's head. Mayweather snaps Hatton's neck twice with right hands, but Hatton stays in tight. Mayweather tattoos Hatton's face with combinations, picking at the cut. Hatton keeps charging, but Mayweather is in charge.

Mayweather's round.

ROUND 5 -- Hatton charges and shoves Mayweather into the corner, but Mayweather turns his shoulder for defense. Hatton still active with combinations. Mayweather sitting back, catching a breather on the ropes. A tangle of arms and heads in the corner. Mayweather content to sit back, and Hatton gains confidence for a combination. Hatton still vulnerable to Mayweather's speedy straight hands. The fighters lock arms, and Cortez warns. Mayweather puts a glove in Hatton's face, ending a round with little activity.

Hatton's round.

ROUND 6 -- Mayweather ducks underneath punches and blocks others, as usual. Hatton catches Mayweather's chin near the ropes, and the ensuing flury ends with Mayweather's upper body through the ropes. Cortez deducts a punch for a blow to the back of Mayweather's head, inciting the crowd's ire. Hatton reacts with disbelief. Another exciting combination results in little damage. Mayweather tags Hatton's chin with a straight right. The crowd produces its first anti-Cortez song of the night. They wrestle in Mayweather's corner, and Hatton plays to the crowd. Hatton is reluctant to go back to his corner at the bell.

Mayweather's round.

ROUND 7 -- Mayweather dances a full circle, then wraps up Hatton's arms. More wrestling in the corner, but both come out of it punching. Mayweather tries body shots, but Hatton is too quick. Mayweather blocks a nasty-looking combination. Hatton pushes to set up shots, but Mayweather has played this game before. Hatton barely avoids a right hand. They push in the center of the ring, Hatton constantly leaning forward. Mayweather lands a snapping left hand, then chases Hatton in a classic late-round surge.

Mayweather's round.

ROUND 8 -- Lots of movement, no punches landing for either fighter. Mayweather punches his way out of a clinch, then lands a sneaky right uppercut. Hatton responds admirably, but Mayweather catches Hatton flush with a straight right, sending Hatton staggering into him. Mayweather smells it, chasing him to the ropes and unloading as Hatton crouches. Hatton recovers and goes to the body as a few hundred fans chant "U-S-A!" over the English drumbeat. The fighters lean into each other. Mayweather slips inside and lands another series of shots, starting with a smashing right and punctuated by another. Mayweather unloads with a ferocity we've rarely seen from him in recent years, but Hatton stays upright.

Mayweather's round.

ROUND 9 -- "Hatton Wonderland" sounds less convincing now. Hatton still charging forward, and he gets Mayweather to the ropes without landing a square punch. Mayweather sitting back, catching Hatton again with another right that's too fast to block. Mayweather turns his shoulder, then lands another right. Mayweather slaps Hatton with a left, then makes Hatton whiff on a left hook. Hatton still stalking, but Mayweather slaps at his head. Mayweather lands another straight right counterpunch, fighting confidently.

Mayweather's round.

http://sports.yahoo.com/box/news?slu...v=ap&type=lgns
    Oops. I wasn't paying attention. Tell me again what is going on.

king of cool
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Fuck you!! lmao

Great fucking fight.

Lil Floyd is STILL the man.

Where's Pojo and Al?

Mayweather is my boy!!

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

It was a good fight, got to respect both these guys.

There's talk today of Hatton quiting - that may not be such a bad idea. Yes, Ricky lost the fight, but what a fight to go out on.

Now all that remains to be seen is will Joe Calzaghe vs Bernard Hopkins actually come off.

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

B-Hop and JC went at it pretty good at the presser. I think it will.

Hatton won't hang them up, he seemed to be pretty sure in the post-fight interview he would continue.

Welterweight is the max for him, he didn't have any easy wins at 147 either.

At 5'6", and his reach, 140 is the perfect division.

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by ALinChainz

That first knockdown was devastating, Hatton went head-long into the turnbuckle in the corner.
    That was what did him in. Had he not done a faceplant into that, he probably would have gone on to lose by decision...
    He made Floyd work, moreso that anyone else I've seen..

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

B-Hop and JC went at it pretty good at the presser. I think it will.

Hatton won't hang them up, he seemed to be pretty sure in the post-fight interview he would continue.

Welterweight is the max for him, he didn't have any easy wins at 147 either.

At 5'6", and his reach, 140 is the perfect division.
    Yeah, this fight really shoowed that Hatton isn't natural 1t 147 - Mayweather isn't the hardest hitting welter, and his shots staggered Hatton. If he moves back down to 140, he'll still be dominant. If he decideds to fight Junior Witter, the WBC champion, that'll be a huge fight in the UK - they could sell 70,000 tickets easily.

As for Hatton-Mayweather, I thought it was a great fight. For my money, the first six rounds were close and it depends what you were looking for as to how you score it: Hatton had the higher workrate, was the aggressor and was making Floyd work (and hold, never thought he'd be the one bending the rules!); but Mayweather was landing the cleaner shots, not that there were very many of them in the first five.

The changing point came when the point got takne away and Hatton got desperate. Mayweather found his distance/timing and it was came over.

Two things surprised me: Floyd's power - guess his hands aren't fucked, lol!; and his ability to work inside. I will say this - Mayweather's inside work was possibly the best piece of defenisive boxing I have ever seen. Ricky just couldn't hit his body: he hooked Ricky's left arm (Cortez never saw it because he was always on the other side, Calzaghe does the same thing) and managed to cover his own left side with his arm. Genius.

Hats off to Ricky for pushing Floyd early though. Like I said, the first five or six were close, but to be fair Floyd never looked like he was in any danger of being beaten...

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

There's a lot ob BS being said over here about Joe Cotez ruining the Ricky's chances by breaking the clinches and not letting these guys fight on the inside.

It's BS: the only thing Cortez ruined in the first four rounds was the fight! It may have prevented Ricky doing inside work, but it also prevented Floyd getting into a rhythm. Floyd was very clever in tying Ricky up and initiaing holding - he made sure from the off that he nulified Ricky's real strength.

As for a point being taken away, quite right for my money. Ricky aimed a shot at the back of the head. In the chagning rooms Cortez said that INTENT was enough to have a point taken away, That the shot didn't land was irrelevant. That Cortex didn't notice Floys hitting with the forearm and hitting on the break is just bad lucj for Ricky, and not bad refereeing from Joe - it's just boxing.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Did anyone see Lacy-Manfredo?

Yawn....

I'd really like Lacy to get back on form, he looked very rusty and his timing was off. In my book he won by a mile, but that was more to do with the fact that Manfredo was so negative and didn't do anything (surely the last chance saloon for him, how many chances does he get?).

I don't know what the corner was telling Jeff: all he had to do was work the jab and that fight would have been over in six. The jab wouldhave opened Manfredo up for the bigger shots and helped with Jeff's timing. The right that he put Manfredo down with still gives me hope that Lacy CAN find some form if he has the mental aptitude to come back...

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Now all that remains to be seen is will Joe Calzaghe vs Bernard Hopkins actually come off.
    I hope that it comes off too, but I think that Bhop is too smart to let the fight happen. He KNOWS he can beat the Roy Jones of 2007. Does he know he can beat Calzaghe?

One things for certain though, Hatton should forget about fighting De La Hoya. At time Mayweather looked too big for him, and floyd's punches shook him. If he gets in with Oscar, he risks being seriously hurt, IMO....

Move back to 140 Ricky - you can be champ there for as long as you want.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Manny Pacquio TKO Barrera in the late rounds.

Taylor UD Pavlick.

Holyfield UD Sultan Igbramiov (yes, I spelt it wrong).

Cotto UD Mosely.

Mayweather UD Hatton.

My predictions from 29th of August. I later changed to Mayweather by SD.

Well, I was wrong about Holyfield and Taylor but I picked the winners of the others. Wrong about HOW most of them won, but you can't have everything, right? It's not like I have a crystal ball or something....lol

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Yeah, Floyd was landing the much cleaner shots and really rocking Hatton.

The problem with Floyd is that he doesn't use the jab nearly enough. And Hatton did do a lot of hitting behind the head.

Hatton is SO USED to the hometown crap in the UK that although he was the fan fave with all of his fans there, he wasn't getting the lean from the ref. Of course he was going to complain about Cortez after, but he didn't in the ring immediately after. That always kills me how fighters wait until days after instead of taking it up right then and there. I know it wouldn't do any good, but say something then.

I tend to agree with most that saw it, Hatton was game, but not in the same league. His corner threw in the towel even as Cortez was waving the fight over.

The first round he really utilized it was round eight I believe and he went 11-15.

Hatton was doing a lot of holding himself and the pre-fight instructions from Cortez (who I also though was not the ref for this fight) told me right away that he was going to be watching Hatton and the holding.

He instructed Floyd first and told him that he won't be giving him any warnings and would take points away in a hurry. He told Hatton that he WOULD warn him and take away points if he had to.

Two seperate instructions.

Two judges had it 89-81 after nine. I had it closer at 87-83.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Hatton's a fighter whose fought outside the UK a lot. I don't think he's fought here since the Tzysu fight back in 2004. In his fights since then, he hasn't had the hometown advantage (not the I really understand what a hometown advantage is with regards to the referee, a rings and ring. I can see how it might sway the judges though..)

The reason that Floyd wasn't jabbing is because his jab couldn't hold Hatton off in the first six. Same thing happened against De La Hoya. It was when he got his distance established that the jab came into play.

I don't think that Hatton was looking to take anything away from Floyd, he was probably trying to explain to himself how he lost, if you know what I mean. He felt that the ref was being unfair to him. But given that Floyd was winning the inside battle anyway, it wouldn't have made any difference. Floyd showed why he's one of the best in the world that night (even people who don't think he's THE best, like me, always put him in the top 3). He may come across as being an asshole, but he's one hell of a boxer.

Yeah, I has 87-83 too. I think that's damn respectable against Floyd, especially when you think that a point was taken away. Like I said, the first 5 or 6 rounds were damn close, even if Floyd never really looked like loosing.

I think Cortez was getting involved WAY too soon in the first three but it damaged both fighters equally - it broke the rhythm of the fight rather than ruining Hatton's chances. At first I thought I was watching an amater fight, he wan't going to even give them chances to throw punches inside. He was clearly EXPECTING Hatton to be dirty, and maybe that effected his judgement and made him jump in before he had too. But like I said, it wouldn't have made a difference.

I'm all for bending the rules: Holyfield has won a lot of fights with his head; Ali used to lean on people, and rest his jab on their face, both of which are illegal; and in that fight, Floyd was throwing forearms, and holding more than Hatton - he was just doing it more intelligently, so Cortez couldn't see. To me, that's part of the game. That's boxing.

I tell ya, if I was in the corner of a guy fighting Floyd, I'd tell them to be dirty: headbut, gouge, hit low, hit in the kidneys, use elbows. That's fighting - you can't go in the water without getting wet. And stuff like that happens in every single boxing match that happens, it's just part of it. The refs job is to keep it in limits.

I really enjoyed this fight though....

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I had it closer at 87-83.
    That's how I had it. Pretty damn respectable against Floyd, especially when a point was taken away.

I don't think that Miguel Cotto will do as well as that against FLoyd actually, he doesn't move in fast enough to cause Mayweather any bother....

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Changing gears here, something I'm looking into, Fantasy Boxing.

Looking at these sites. Would like to start my own league of course.

http://kofantasyboxing.com/

http://www.vivi.com/

http://www.geocities.com/joker_dude2001/fantbox.html

http://www.ultimatebaseball.0catch.com/

http://www.doghouseboxing.com/Ed_Lud...dwig040904.htm

The last one is a pay gig, but I'm looking into joining one myself or creating one, just to see how things go. The new year is probably a good time as some of the leagues appear to be seasonal or time oriented.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Al, when I have more time I will check those sites out - sounds fun...

Couple of big fights in Feb:

Pavlick-Taylor II

Jones-Trinidad.

As I've said before, Jones will walk the Trinidad fight. Pavlick will probably win also, unless the extra 6lbs makes a difference (they;re fighting at 166) - Taylor was struggling to make 160. I'd like to see another war, but I imagine that Pavlick will win...

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

What sucks about Taylor-Pavlik II is that it is a non-title affair.

The fantasy boxing was just something I was checking out on my own and may play myself just to get a feel before trying to strike up a league here.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

What sucks about Taylor-Pavlik II is that it is a non-title affair.

Yeah, I know. I think that's because Taylor physically cannot make 160 anymore. I'm guessing his plan is to move up to 168? The super-middleweight division is starting to look interesting: Kessler, Miranda, Bika (quite impressed with him), Lucien Bute, Carl Froch....

Three years from now it could be quite competitive, although my guess is that once Calzaghe retires Kessler is going to wipe the floor with everyone....

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Hopkins says that he'll never lose to a "white boy". Oh dear, oh dear....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/boxing/7133862.stm

American Bernard Hopkins insisted he "would never lose to a white person" when he came face-to-face with Joe Calzaghe in Las Vegas on Friday.

Calzaghe, 35, beat Mikkel Kessler to become undisputed super-middleweight champion last month and is keen to fight Hopkins, 42, next year.

And the pair almost came to blows at the MGM Grand ahead of Ricky Hatton and Floyd Mayweather's weigh-in.

"I would never let a white boy beat me," Hopkins said five times.

"You can print that. I would never lose to a white person. He said on record that he's going to take the fight and that's all you need to hear.

606: DEBATE
    Sorry Joe, but you can't cover up 15 years of mediocre bouts with a couple of swansong fights against past-it boxers

CJ

"I haven't ducked nobody in my career, my credibility is intact. Kessler is not in my league, man. Who is Kessler? You think Kessler was a true warrior?"

Calzaghe and Hopkins caused such a commotion in the MGM Grand media centre that former world heavyweight champion Lennox Lewis broke off an interview nearby to listen, as dozens of journalists circled the pair.

"He ducked me four years ago," said Welshman Calzaghe. "He thinks he's a legend but he lost to Jermain Taylor twice and, believe me, he will lose to me.

"He will not beat me throwing 12 punches a round. I throw 1,000 punches a fight. He'll get his arse kicked, full stop.

"I'm undefeated for 17 years - look at his face and look at mine. He's all mouth. When he fights he doesn't fight, he holds.

"He's 42 and can't throw the punches like me, and if we do fight he's going to get beat."

Former middleweight king Hopkins, now campaigning at light-heavy, has a career record of 48 wins, four losses and a draw from 54 fights.

Promoter Frank Warren confirmed an offer had been made to Hopkins and he was awaiting a reply.

He said: "We know Bernard wants the fight in America and we're happy with that. We've made him a good offer and we'll make it happen."

king of cool
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Changing gears here, something I'm looking into, Fantasy Boxing.

Looking at these sites. Would like to start my own league of course.

http://kofantasyboxing.com/

http://www.vivi.com/

http://www.geocities.com/joker_dude2001/fantbox.html

http://www.ultimatebaseball.0catch.com/

http://www.doghouseboxing.com/Ed_Lud...dwig040904.htm

The last one is a pay gig, but I'm looking into joining one myself or creating one, just to see how things go. The new year is probably a good time as some of the leagues appear to be seasonal or time oriented.

Let's do it!

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Hopkins says that he'll never lose to a "white boy". Oh dear, oh dear....
    Oh fer cryin' out loud. He needs to shut the fuck up.

What I wanna know is: Is there anyone, white, black, latin, asian, what-the-fuck-EVER that can beat Mayweather?
    I mean, yes, he is one of if not the best fighters in the sport, but god he is annoying...
    Hatton staggered him once with a jab in the 1st or 2nd round, but the ref (Cortez?) stepped in before he could capitalize on it...may not have made a difference...
    but you could tell even Floyd was like "Oh, shit!"
    Last edited by jhale667; 12-10-2007 at 09:58 PM.

Thread Information