Member No
    Last Online
    04-07-2016 @ 01:20 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,110 Times in 2,874 Posts

:p Just saw this:

That's just mean!
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    12-27-2016 @ 08:33 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,785 Times in 1,252 Posts

Yeah, that is mean.

I thought Floyd was quite respectful after the fight actually.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by jhale667
    Oh fer cryin' out loud. He needs to shut the fuck up.

What I wanna know is: Is there anyone, white, black, latin, asian, what-the-fuck-EVER that can beat Mayweather?
    I mean, yes, he is one of if not the best fighters in the sport, but god he is annoying...
    Hatton staggered him once with a jab in the 1st or 2nd round, but the ref (Cortez?) stepped in before he could capitalize on it...may not have made a difference...
    but you could tell even Floyd was like "Oh, shit!"
    Yeah he was staggered, but after that he never really looked in trouble: even though the first 5 or 6 rounds were close it was largely because Floyd was being so negative. In the same way that De La Hoya pushed him close, but still didn't win; or Jose Luis Castillio pushed him, but didn't win. Moments of vulnerability aren't the same as a near loss (although I had the De La Hyoa fight very close...)

To answer your question, everyone's beatable. Remember how everyone thought that Roy Jones jr was "the greatest fighter of all time", and then he ran into Tarver and Jonson and had his chin exposed? Everyone is beatable. Roy had amazing power, God given ability, and was lightining fast - but he was never as good as the hype. For my money, it's a good thing for him that the fight with Michaleeski was never made because I don't think he would have won.

Having said that, I don't think that there is anyone between 140 and 154 who can beat Floyd. Outside of those categories, it's just academic becuase Floyd isn't big enough to go to 160, and he's too big to get back down below 140.

All this talk about Cotto doesn't ad up to much in my opinion: "He's like Hatton, but bigger" yeah, but he's much slower too. Floyd would be able to keep Cotto away from him I think, which he couldn't do with Hatton. Also, Cotto's chin is remarkalbe easy to hit which would allow Floyd to steal rounds with flashy shots.

Shane Mosely is too old. Whilst you and I both agreed that he still looked strong against Cotto, and he can still compete at the top of the division, he isn't what he used to be: he's not as fast, and his punches didn't look quite as powerful. Five years ago, maybe he'd have beaten Mayweather (it would have been close), but these days I think he would actually be outboxed.

Paul Williams might be an interesting fight, although it's not going to happen until his profile increases. Do we know how Floyd would cope with a 6' welter? Maybe that would be a weakness? I'm not too sure that Williams would be able to land anything meaningful though.

Winky Wright at 154 would stand one hell of a chance of beating Floyd: bigger, very fast, and excellent defense would all pose Mayweather problems. But Christ would it be a dull chess match. Part of me thinks that it might be a repeat of the ass-kicking he gave Mosely, but havng watched him against BHop, I'm guessing that Winky might be a little too old to tango with Mayweather.

Margaritto. I actually think this guy stands the best chance against Floyd. Forget the loss to Williams, that was a guy who doesn't have amazing movement not knowing how to deal with a six foot freak. No shame in that. Margaritto is an exceptional pressure fighter with big power. Like Hatton but a natural welter with savage power. I have always thought, and still do, that he would be the guy with the best chance of beating Mayweather. I'm not saying that he would, but he'd have a better chance than anyone else. But it ain't going to happen because the money won't be there to make this fight.

For my money, Oscar De La Hoya at his peak would have beaten Mayweather at 147, but not at 135. That's what I took away from their fight. Like I said though, it's purely academic - that fight didn't happen, so we'll never know.

So, as it stands at the moment I don't see anyone beating Floyd. It's a shame he wasn't around in a more competitve time: I'd have loved to have seen him against Duran, Leonard, Curry or even Pernell Whitaker. I think he'd have held his own with any of those guys - not sure he'd have beaten them all, or won rematches, but he'd have been there or thereabouts. And that, my friend, is a fine accolade.

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-11-2008 @ 02:07 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Not so sure because look at the fighters that beat Oscar when we was at his peak.

And I will say that I have never seen Hatton hurt like he was against Mayweather and his corner was throwing in the towel at the stoppage.

To me, they did him a favor.

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I don't see anyone mentioning Paul Williams at 147.

He throws over 1000 punches a fight and is over 6'0 tall and beat Margarito for his belt in his last fight didn't he?

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by ALinChainz

He throws over 1000 punches a fight and is over 6'0 tall and beat Margarito for his belt in his last fight didn't he?
    You are correct Sir.

I mentioned him, I'll re-post it to save me typing. His height is the major issue.

Originally posted by binnie

Paul Williams might be an interesting fight, although it's not going to happen until his profile increases. Do we know how Floyd would cope with a 6' welter? Maybe that would be a weakness? I'm not too sure that Williams would be able to land anything meaningful though.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Not so sure because look at the fighters that beat Oscar when we was at his peak.

And I will say that I have never seen Hatton hurt like he was against Mayweather and his corner was throwing in the towel at the stoppage.

After Mayweather landed that peach of a left hook it was game over. The fight was definately stopped at the right time. Hatton has never been hit as hard as that - it's not so much the power as the leverage and timing he gets on his punches, they are so damn clean.

I can see your point regarding De La Hoya - Mosely beat him twice (definetly the first time, questionably the second) and maybe Mayweather would have done the same. But it's all academic cos it didn't happen. Would have been close either way.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I would have mentioned Kermit Cintron - he's also 6' and punches damn hard. I think he has bags of potential, but his defense is to poor to be of any real threat to the big guns just yet....

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Cintron is badass ... no question ... he needs a couple tough tests as well.

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

True, but I still think it was the faceplant into the turnstile that did more damage than Floyd's actual power...
    though that left hook (and the one before the stoppage) was a thing of beauty...

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Apparently, Jermain Taylor wants Calzaghe if he beats Pavlick. That's the buzz at the moment.....

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Floyd sits pretty atop boxing poll

By Kevin Iole, Yahoo! Sports

December 13, 2007

Floyd Mayweather Jr. solidified his place atop the Yahoo! Sports boxing rankings with his 10th-round stoppage of Ricky Hatton on Saturday.

It did not, though, come without a price. Mayweather said Thursday that he was in great pain throughout his training camp and that he needs a long rest to allow back, elbow and hand injuries to heal.

Mayweather said Thursday by telephone from New York, where he was taping a segment for HBO's rebroadcast of his fight with Hatton, that he injured his elbow during sparring with Carlos Baldomir.

He further added that his upper back was hurting, which limited his mobility.

"Boxing has taken one hell of a toll on me and my body is breaking down now," the 30-year-old Mayweather said, five days after his 39th professional fight. "I'm not the same now as when I was younger. My body is telling me the time is getting close when I can't do this any more."

He said he needs a long vacation and wouldn't commit to fighting again at all. While he stopped short of saying he's going to retire, he said he won't fight unless his body feels better than it does now.

He praised his most logical next potential opponent, WBA welterweight champion Miguel Cotto, but wouldn't commit to facing the Puerto Rican star at some point.

"I don't have to beat anyone to prove anything about my skills and my talents, because my credentials speak for themselves," Mayweather said. "Cotto is a good, young fighter; a good, young champion. I have nothing negative to say about him. He has had some nice wins. There are a lot of good, young fighters out there. He's definitely one of them, maybe one of the best."

Mayweather said he had the television turned down in his locker room before the fight and said he wasn't aware the largely British crowd was so resoundingly booing the U.S. national anthem.

A member of the 1996 U.S. Olympic team, Mayweather said he could hear the crowd booing but wasn't sure what it was about. When he learned of it after the fight, he said he was upset.

"It brought tears to my eyes," he said. "I was on the Olympics. I represented my country. This victory, more than any other I've had, I fought for my country. I had my country on my back. I was respectful toward Ricky Hatton and all of his fans, but that was totally disrespectful to this country. I'm pretty sure Ricky Hatton would tell you that was wrong, too. It bothers me they did that."

The top seven spots in the rankings remained as they were in November. Hatton dropped out and the fighters who were below him moved up a notch.

1. Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Record: 39-0 (25 KOs)
    Title: WBC welterweight champion
    Last outing: Stopped Ricky Hatton in the 10th on Dec. 8
    Last month’s ranking: 1
    Up next: Nothing scheduled
    Analysis: Clearly the most complete and most gifted fighter in the world

2. Manny Pacquiao

Record: 45-3-2 (35 KOs)
    Title: None
    Last outing: Won a unanimous decision over Marco Antonio Barrera on Oct. 6
    Last month’s ranking: 2
    Up next: Fights No. 6 Juan Manuel Marquez on March 15 in Las Vegas
    Analysis: Continues to face top opposition

3. Joe Calzaghe

Record: 44-0 (32 KOs)
    Title: WBA, WBC, WBO super middleweight champion
    Last outing: Won unanimous decision over Mikkel Kessler on Nov. 3
    Last month’s ranking: 3
    Up next: Negotiating for spring bout with No. 5 Bernard Hopkins
    Analysis: A win over Hopkins would greatly raise his profile among American fans.

4. Miguel Cotto

Record: 31-0 (25 KOs)
    Title: WBA welterweight champion
    Last outing: Won unanimous decision over Shane Mosley on Nov. 10
    Last month’s ranking: 4
    Analysis: Fans are beginning to clamor for a 2008 match with Mayweather

5. Juan Manuel Marquez

Record: 48-3-1 (35 KOs)
    Title: WBC super featherweight champion
    Last outing: Won unanimous decision over Rocky Juarez on Nov. 3
    Last month’s ranking: 6
    Up next: Faces No. 2 Manny Pacquiao on March 15 in Las Vegas
    Analysis: Vastly underrated boxer

6. Bernard Hopkins

Record: 48-4 (32 KOs)
    Title: Light heavyweight champion
    Last outing: Won unanimous decision over No. 10 Winky Wright on July 21
    Last month’s ranking: 5
    Up next: Negotiating for spring bout with No. 3 Joe Calzaghe
    Analysis: Could move into third-spot with win over Calzaghe

7. Israel Vazquez

Record: 42-4 (31 KOs)
    Title: WBC super bantamweight champion
    Last outing: Stopped Rafael Marquez in probable Fight of the Year on Aug. 5 in Hidalgo, Texas
    Last month’s ranking: 7
    Up next: Fights rubber match with Marquez on March 1
    Analysis: The best of the lower weight fighters (under 126)

8. Kelly Pavlik

Record: 32-0 (29 KOs)
    Title: WBC, WBO middleweight champion
    Last outing: Won middleweight title with seventh-round TKO of Jermain Taylor on Sept. 29
    Last month’s ranking: 9
    Up next: Rematch with Taylor on Feb. 16 in Las Vegas
    Analysis: Hardest puncher in the top 10

9. Juan Diaz

Record: 33-0 (17 KOs)
    Title: IBF, WBA, WBO lightweight champion
    Last outing: Unified belts with ninth-round TKO of Julio Diaz on Oct. 13
    Last month’s ranking: T10
    Up next: Considering bout with mandatory challenger Michael Katsidis
    Analysis: Volume puncher always delivers an exciting show

10. Winky Wright

Record: 51-4-1 (25 KOs)
    Last outing: Lost unanimous decision to No. 5 Bernard Hopkins on July 21
    Analysis: Waiting in the wings if negotiations for a Hopkins-Calzaghe fizzle

Others receiving votes: Ricky Hatton, 17; Ivan Calderon, 14; Rafael Marquez, 13; Wladimir Klitschko, 12; Paul Williams, 11; Chad Dawson, 6; Chris John, 5; Cristian Mijares, 5; Shane Mosley, 3; Mikkel Kessler, 2; Jermain Taylor, 2.

http://sports.yahoo.com/box/news;_yl...yhoo&type=lgns

Builder of Sites
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    02-08-2016 @ 02:28 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,705 Times in 2,513 Posts

Don't forget Brian "The Beast" Minto is fighting Dec. 30th.

It's in a parking lot of a race track in Butler PA.

Beats the days when he fought at the local Days Inn.

Fear the Elf
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    08-29-2021 @ 06:13 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by LoungeMachine
    Don't forget Brian "The Beast" Minto is fighting Dec. 30th.

It's in a parking lot of a race track in Butler PA.

Beats the days when he fought at the local Days Inn.

Will Joe Thunder be there?

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Absolutely.

Promoting his new project:

"Under the Bleachers With Joey T."

Fear the Elf
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    08-29-2021 @ 06:13 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Absolutely.

Promoting his new project:

"Under the Bleachers With Joey T."
    LMMFAO!

I sorta wish he was unbanned, it was fun watching you bitchslap his pathetic ass everywhere...oh and Kip too!

Joe Thudner=Yinzer

http://www.pittsburghbrownsbackers.com/yinzometer.htm

http://pittsburghbrownsbackers.com/PBBYinzer.html

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Floyd sits pretty atop boxing poll

By Kevin Iole, Yahoo! Sports

December 13, 2007

Floyd Mayweather Jr. solidified his place atop the Yahoo! Sports boxing rankings with his 10th-round stoppage of Ricky Hatton on Saturday.

It did not, though, come without a price. Mayweather said Thursday that he was in great pain throughout his training camp and that he needs a long rest to allow back, elbow and hand injuries to heal.

Mayweather said Thursday by telephone from New York, where he was taping a segment for HBO's rebroadcast of his fight with Hatton, that he injured his elbow during sparring with Carlos Baldomir.

He further added that his upper back was hurting, which limited his mobility.

"Boxing has taken one hell of a toll on me and my body is breaking down now," the 30-year-old Mayweather said, five days after his 39th professional fight. "I'm not the same now as when I was younger. My body is telling me the time is getting close when I can't do this any more."

He said he needs a long vacation and wouldn't commit to fighting again at all. While he stopped short of saying he's going to retire, he said he won't fight unless his body feels better than it does now.

He praised his most logical next potential opponent, WBA welterweight champion Miguel Cotto, but wouldn't commit to facing the Puerto Rican star at some point.

"I don't have to beat anyone to prove anything about my skills and my talents, because my credentials speak for themselves," Mayweather said. "Cotto is a good, young fighter; a good, young champion. I have nothing negative to say about him. He has had some nice wins. There are a lot of good, young fighters out there. He's definitely one of them, maybe one of the best."

Mayweather said he had the television turned down in his locker room before the fight and said he wasn't aware the largely British crowd was so resoundingly booing the U.S. national anthem.

A member of the 1996 U.S. Olympic team, Mayweather said he could hear the crowd booing but wasn't sure what it was about. When he learned of it after the fight, he said he was upset.

"It brought tears to my eyes," he said. "I was on the Olympics. I represented my country. This victory, more than any other I've had, I fought for my country. I had my country on my back. I was respectful toward Ricky Hatton and all of his fans, but that was totally disrespectful to this country. I'm pretty sure Ricky Hatton would tell you that was wrong, too. It bothers me they did that."

The top seven spots in the rankings remained as they were in November. Hatton dropped out and the fighters who were below him moved up a notch.

1. Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Record: 39-0 (25 KOs)
    Title: WBC welterweight champion
    Last outing: Stopped Ricky Hatton in the 10th on Dec. 8
    Last month’s ranking: 1
    Analysis: Clearly the most complete and most gifted fighter in the world

2. Manny Pacquiao

Record: 45-3-2 (35 KOs)
    Last outing: Won a unanimous decision over Marco Antonio Barrera on Oct. 6
    Last month’s ranking: 2
    Up next: Fights No. 6 Juan Manuel Marquez on March 15 in Las Vegas
    Analysis: Continues to face top opposition

3. Joe Calzaghe

Record: 44-0 (32 KOs)
    Title: WBA, WBC, WBO super middleweight champion
    Last outing: Won unanimous decision over Mikkel Kessler on Nov. 3
    Last month’s ranking: 3
    Up next: Negotiating for spring bout with No. 5 Bernard Hopkins
    Analysis: A win over Hopkins would greatly raise his profile among American fans.

4. Miguel Cotto

Record: 31-0 (25 KOs)
    Title: WBA welterweight champion
    Last outing: Won unanimous decision over Shane Mosley on Nov. 10
    Last month’s ranking: 4
    Analysis: Fans are beginning to clamor for a 2008 match with Mayweather

5. Juan Manuel Marquez

Record: 48-3-1 (35 KOs)
    Title: WBC super featherweight champion
    Last outing: Won unanimous decision over Rocky Juarez on Nov. 3
    Last month’s ranking: 6
    Up next: Faces No. 2 Manny Pacquiao on March 15 in Las Vegas
    Analysis: Vastly underrated boxer

6. Bernard Hopkins

Record: 48-4 (32 KOs)
    Title: Light heavyweight champion
    Last outing: Won unanimous decision over No. 10 Winky Wright on July 21
    Last month’s ranking: 5
    Up next: Negotiating for spring bout with No. 3 Joe Calzaghe
    Analysis: Could move into third-spot with win over Calzaghe

7. Israel Vazquez

Record: 42-4 (31 KOs)
    Title: WBC super bantamweight champion
    Last outing: Stopped Rafael Marquez in probable Fight of the Year on Aug. 5 in Hidalgo, Texas
    Last month’s ranking: 7
    Up next: Fights rubber match with Marquez on March 1
    Analysis: The best of the lower weight fighters (under 126)

8. Kelly Pavlik

Record: 32-0 (29 KOs)
    Title: WBC, WBO middleweight champion
    Last outing: Won middleweight title with seventh-round TKO of Jermain Taylor on Sept. 29
    Last month’s ranking: 9
    Up next: Rematch with Taylor on Feb. 16 in Las Vegas
    Analysis: Hardest puncher in the top 10

9. Juan Diaz

Record: 33-0 (17 KOs)
    Title: IBF, WBA, WBO lightweight champion
    Last outing: Unified belts with ninth-round TKO of Julio Diaz on Oct. 13
    Up next: Considering bout with mandatory challenger Michael Katsidis
    Analysis: Volume puncher always delivers an exciting show

10. Winky Wright

Record: 51-4-1 (25 KOs)
    Last outing: Lost unanimous decision to No. 5 Bernard Hopkins on July 21
    Analysis: Waiting in the wings if negotiations for a Hopkins-Calzaghe fizzle

Others receiving votes: Ricky Hatton, 17; Ivan Calderon, 14; Rafael Marquez, 13; Wladimir Klitschko, 12; Paul Williams, 11; Chad Dawson, 6; Chris John, 5; Cristian Mijares, 5; Shane Mosley, 3; Mikkel Kessler, 2; Jermain Taylor, 2.

http://sports.yahoo.com/box/news;_yl...yhoo&type=lgns
    That's one of the best PFP lists I've seen. If i was nitpicking, I'd put Calzaghe at no.2 above Pacquiano, but that's just been picky...

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Edwin Valero remains unbeaten. From ESPN

Edwin Valero kept his knockout and undefeated streaks alive by stopping Zaid Zavaleta in the third round of their WBA super featherweight title match at the Plaza de Toros in Cancun on Saturday.

Valero (23-0, 23 KOs) knocked Zavaleta down near the end of first round with a barrage of punches but Zavaleta managed to beat the count.

Referee Luis Pabon looked close to stopping the bout on several occasions in the second round as Valero unloaded with a variety of hooks and crosses while Zavaleta did his best to hold on and tie up Valero on the inside.

A combination of body punches followed by a left hook as Zavaleta was pinned against the ropes forced Pabon to step in at 1:18 of third round and prevent Zavaleta from taking further punishment.

On the undercard, Jorge Linares retained his WBC featherweight title by stopping Gamaliel Diaz in the eighth round.

Linares (25-0, 16 KOs) had Diaz down and nearly out in the fourth round but Diaz fought back gamely. The Venezuelan put Diaz down again with a right hand late in Round 8 and this time, Diaz could not beat the count.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Anyone gets a chance to see an Edwin Valero fight, I thoroughly recommend it. He is one of the hardest poud for pound punches I have ever seen.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

from boxingscene.com

Winky is Back; Calls out Pavlik, Calzaghe, Oscar Recommend this page Printable version Search BoxingScene Database

By Mark Vester

Ronald "Winky" Wright (51-4, 25KOs) is back, planning a March return and calling out every big name from 154 to 168. Wright, who last fought in July, dropping a unanimous decision to Bernard Hopkins at a catch-weight of 170-pounds, will return to middleweight limit of 160-pounds for the March return, and then drop down to 154-pounds. Wright spoke with Puerto Rican media outlet Endi, and indicated that he wants bouts with Kelly Pavlik, Joe Calzaghe and Oscar De La Hoya.

"I'm supposed to be fighting in March. I'm seeking the best possible opponent. My intention is to fight at 160-pounds and then drop down to 154-pounds. Joe Calzaghe launched a challenge at me and I launched one back. Maybe the fight will happen. I would also like to fight the winner of the rematch between Jermain Taylor and Kelly Pavlik," Wright said. "The fight I want most is with Oscar De La Hoya. I've wanted that fight for a long time. He keeps saying that he never ran from a challenge and fights everyone, but he always runs from me and I've beaten the fighters who beat him (Felix Trinidad, Shane Mosley)."

Wright is good friends with Roy Jones Jr. and Felix Trinidad, who collide on Jan. 19 at New York's Madison Square Garden. Wright would not predict a winner, but thinks it's going to be a good fight.

"It's a good fight with two big names. On one hand, Jones has so much velocity and on the other, Trinidad may have resolved all the problems from the loss to me. I think he underestimated me in that fight and the same thing won't happen here. I think it says a lot about him as a fighter for choosing to face someone like Roy Jones for his return because he could have returned against anyone. I like both fighters. I won't make a prediction. I hope the best man wins," Wright said.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Fight of the Year?

As far as I'm concerned there are three candidates:

Pavlick-Miranda

Pavlick-Taylor

Vasquez- Marquez II (this one edges it for me.)

Fighter of the Year?

Most people will say Mayweather, and his performance against Hatton was certainly awe-inspiring but I don't think his performance against old-man De La Hoya was that impressive - he should have been more dominant against Oscar.

Calzaghe's boxing lesson to Kessler was remarkalby impressive,

But Miguel Cotto has to take the crown. Whooping Judah and then beating Mosely is quite an achiement.

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I think he did much better against Oscar than the judging gave him credit for.

But he is talking about getting involved in MMA, which would be the most ridiculous decision he could ever make.

I thought it was to promote with Mark Cuban some MMA events, but the more I read, the more it sounds like he may want to compete.

An idiot. And there is no bigger Floyd fan than me.

king of cool
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    04-06-2018 @ 02:53 PM
    Status
    Thanks

An idiot. And there is no bigger Floyd fan than me.

'Cept me.

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

lol ... forgot.

Seen his dad once at a mall in Grand Rapids waaaayyyyyy back in the day when I still lived down there. We kind of hollered at him and waved but didn't go up and talk to him or anything.

He was a decent fighter and was owned by Leonard when they fought but was big news then. Then he got shot in the leg and that was the end of his career basically.

The brother that trains Floyd , Roger (The Black Mamba) was a helluva a fighter, big puncher and always made for an exciting fight. Jeff was fairly solid and won a title but wasn't the hardcore lifer the others were, he retired real early.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Roger Mayweather was a good fighter - not in Floyd's league though...

I believe he thought up that unique shoulder role...

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Roger Mayweather was a good fighter - not in Floyd's league though...

I believe he thought up that unique shoulder role...
    I hung out with Roger one night in NJ while I was working for Quiet Riot. VERY cool guy, funny as shit.
    He seemed pleased I knew who he was when he introduced himself.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I am very jealous - working for a rock band AND meeting a world champ. Damn....

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I am very jealous - working for a rock band AND meeting a world champ. Damn....
    Yeah, sometimes it doesn't suck to be me...

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Maligianni won this weekend. Talk of a possible fight with Hatton in the near future. Style-wise, I think It'd be interesting....

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I watched a re-run of the Malinagi (I can't fuckin' spell it) fight last night, and I must say that he was a lucky mother fucker. I had him down by three rounds.

They should re-name him Casamayora!

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I think it would be a fair fight but I would take Hatton in that one.

Never liked Malinaggi (can't spell it either) and has zero power.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Yeah, having watched the fight from Saturday it was pretty evident that Hatton would win. Given that Paulie (I'm avoiding using the un-spellable surname) took a 12 round beating from Cotto I'm guessing that Hatton wouldn't knock him out, but it'd be a one-sided decision methinks...

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Can someone give me a reason to care about Tito-Jones?

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Anyone see Edison Miranda KO David Banks. The KO is sweet, trust me. Not very exciting up to that point, but well worth the wait!

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/DPwl5wsiSuw&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/DPwl5wsiSuw&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I saw that fight and hated Banks from the Contender.

I was happy to see Miranda about rip his head off.

Miranda is a big ticket for a lot of opponents because he is in every fight with his punching power.

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Jones has eyes for Calzaghe

January 15, 2008

NEW YORK (Ticker) - Eight-time world champion Roy Jones Jr. has stepped up his bid to fight Joe Calzaghe in Wales following this Saturday's showdown with Felix "Tito" Trinidad at Madison Square Garden.

A champion in four different weight divisions from middleweight to heavyweight, Jones, 38, said Tuesday that he will knock out Puerto Rican ring legend Trinidad, 35, in four rounds of their schedule 12-round, 170-pound bout at Madison Square Garden.

Trinidad (42-2, 35 KOs) on Monday also said that Calzaghe was in his sights, as did former middleweight champion Jermain Taylor last month.

Jones (51-4, 38 KOs) told reporters before the final pre-fight press conference that his last remaining ambition in the ring is to regain the world super-middleweight title (168 pounds) from the undefeated Welshman.

Calzaghe, 35, is close to sealing an April 12 mega-fight in Las Vegas with Bernard Hopkins. Jones said he would even travel to Wales to challenge the current undisputed super-middleweight champion, despite the fact that he has previously refused to fight outside America in his 19-year professional career.

"For all his titles, I'd go," Jones said. "I want Calzaghe. If I got the titles, he has to come and get it, but he's got the titles so I have to go and get it.

"The way I see it is that Ricky Hatton came over and fought Floyd Mayweather so it's somebody's turn to go back over there for us, to show that we're impartial, we're fair."

The American said making history was a motivating factor for wanting the fight. Having equaled Bob Fitzsimmons' 1897 achievement of a former middleweight winning a heavyweight title, Jones would return to the lighter divisions to regain titles.

"The only thing left to accomplish that I've thought about is if I go down and regain the super-middleweight title," Jones said. "Bob Fitzsimmons didn't do that so I'd have one up on him. He can't come back and re-do it, and the next person to try and do it will have a hard time to do it all."

Jones said he was confident Calzaghe would beat Hopkins.

"Calzaghe's busy and that's why I know Hopkins won't beat him because Hopkins doesn't have knockout power," Jones said. "To beat Joe you're going to have to knock him out. He's far too busy to go 12 rounds and expect to get a decision (against him), especially in Wales.

"That's why I say it doesn't matter where you go to fight him, because you've got to knock him out wherever you go. I've got to knock him out, but Hopkins doesn't have the power to knock him out. That's why he doesn't want to go over there and fight, and I don't blame him. But I'll take the gamble."

If Hopkins should defy his 43 years and defeat Calzaghe, however, Jones said the chances of fighting his fellow American were very slim. The pair fought for the IBF middleweight title in 1993, with Jones outpointing Hopkins to win a decision.

"Hopkins won't fight me if it's his last day in the ring, and after he's seen me this time (against Trinidad) he really won't want to fight me," Jones said.

Jones warned Hopkins that if he fails to finalize his fight with Calzaghe this week, then he would readily step into his shoes and fight the Welshman himself at 168 pounds.

Asked if a failure to seal a deal for Hopkins-Calzaghe was due to both parties waiting for the outcome of Saturday's Jones-Trinidad contest, Jones said: "No, but I tell you what, if (Calzaghe) wants Roy Jones and (Hopkins-Calzaghe) ain't done by Sunday, I'm going.

"If I do what I feel like I'm going to do Saturday night, then come Sunday morning I'm going straight to Wales."

http://sports.yahoo.com/box/news?slu...v=st&type=lgns

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Trinidad eyes potential fight with Calzaghe

January 15, 2008

NEW YORK (TICKER) -- Puerto Rican superstar Felix Trinidad has joined the list of big-name fighters wanting to fight Joe Calzaghe.

The undefeated world super-middleweight champion from Wales is set for an April 12 showdown with Bernard Hopkins in Las Vegas while Trinidad, who turned 35 last week, will move up from middleweight to fight 38-year-old Roy Jones Jr. in New York at a catchweight of 170 pounds this Saturday night.

Trinidad, a three-division, five-time former world champion at welter, light-middle and middleweight, is confident he will not only acclimate to fighting at the heaviest weight of his 44-fight (42-2, 35 KOs) career but will knockout Jones to line up another big-money showdown later this year.

And just as former middleweight champion Jermain Taylor publicly put Calzaghe, 35, in his sights before Christmas, Trinidad did the same when talking to reporters in New York on Monday night.

Speaking through an interpreter before an open workout session, Trinidad was asked whom he wanted to fight next if he was victorious against Jones at Madison Square Garden this weekend.

"After I win, and I intend to win, there (are) a lot of guys out there but Joe Calzaghe is in my vision and in my future," Trinidad said. "So I will go after him too. There are a lot of fighters out there but Joe Calzaghe is one of them."

Asked whether he intended to remain at 170 pounds for future fights, Trinidad stated the extra weights has some benefits.

"I feel stronger at 168, 170 pounds than at 160 and so Joe Calzaghe is one of my top priorities."

Earlier, Felix Trinidad Sr., the Puerto Rican's father and trainer, said his son would have no problem maintaining his effectiveness at 170 pounds.

"He is going to carry his punch from 160 to 170 and people are going to be very surprised about that," Trinidad Sr. said.

http://sports.yahoo.com/box/news?slu...v=st&type=lgns

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Pacquiao, Marquez to meet March 15 for WBC super featherweight title

January 15, 2008

BEVERLY HILLS, Calif. (AP) -- Manny Pacquiao has already beaten two Mexican stars. Juan Manuel Marquez promised he won't be the third.

Pacquiao and Marquez stepped nose to nose Tuesday in officially announcing their rematch for March 15 at the Mandalay Bay Resort & Casino in Las Vegas -- nearly four years after their first fight ended in a 12-round draw.

Since then, Marquez won the WBC super featherweight crown, which will be on the line in March, and Pacquiao earned the nickname "The Mexican Killer" after knocking out Erik Morales twice and beating Marco Antonio Barrera.

Pacquiao fielded perhaps the most intriguing question of Tuesday's press conference, when a reporter asked: "If you beat Marquez, would you ever dare vacation in Mexico?"

Pacquiao grinned, then said: "Maybe, but with more bodyguards."

Marquez wasn't amused, saying Pacquiao is not "The Mexican Killer."

"He didn't beat me the first time," Marquez said.

Pacquiao knocked Marquez down three times in the first round when they fought in May 2004. Marquez survived and the bout wound up as one of the best of that year.

"Here we go again," Pacquiao said. "It is not about the belt, it's about the honor of my country."

Pacquiao has veritable rock-star status in his native Philippines, where he ran, and lost, in a bid for Congress and where he also makes movies. He has left his homeland to train for the Marquez fight at Hollywood's Wild Card Gym, owned by his famed trainer, Freddie Roach.

"This rivalry between a Mexican and Filipino is good for boxing," Roach said. "This is going to be a huge fight."

Marquez said he feels the same nationalistic pressure from his countrymen, who have dubbed him "The Last Mexican Standing."

"There is so much pride," Marquez said. "There is so much feeling in me. I want so badly to beat Manny."

Since their last fight, Marquez has fought seven times with one loss -- a 12-round decision to Indonesia's Chris John. He won the super featherweight title from Barrera a year ago.

Pacquiao has had eight bouts since facing Marquez and also has one loss -- a 12-round decision to Morales. Pacquiao knocked Morales out in two subsequent rematches.

If Pacquiao beats Marquez, he would capture his third world championship in three weight classes, previously holding the flyweight and junior featherweight titles.

If he Marquez wins, he would capture something even bigger -- a legacy.

"Maybe before I was put in the shadows," he said. "But I will demonstrate that I fight with heart and soul."

http://sports.yahoo.com/box/news?slu...v=ap&type=lgns

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I saw that fight and hated Banks from the Contender.

I was happy to see Miranda about rip his head off.

Miranda is a big ticket for a lot of opponents because he is in every fight with his punching power.
    Yeah, Miranda is exciting. I hope they don't rush the big fights though. He needs a lot of defensive work (moving his head would be a good start!) and they need to get him working the jab more to set up the KOs. Right now, he's like Lacy was 2.5 years ago: powerful but vulnerable. A little more learning and he could be something special.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Jones-Calzaghe would be a dream fight at 168 if both guys were at their peak (it'd be closer than you think.) However, Jones is so shot it would be meaningless these days.

It's even funnier that Tito has called Calzaghe out too, LOL.

For my money, Calzaghe should fight Taylor is he beats Pavlick (unlikely I know), but there's no way Pavlik will go up to 168 as there are still beg fights for him at 160.

Pacquiano-Marquez will be an amazing one, just like their first was. I loved that fight. Whilst I'm a huge, huge Manny fan, I think Marquez will beat him. Marquez has been the most underated fighter on the planet for years and has the skills and awkwardness to frustrate Manny, as well as the power to make him take notice.

Thread Information