Thread: The Army Boxing Thread

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-11-2008 @ 02:07 PM
    Status
    Thanks

For your money bro ... that is why any of these washed up fighters are calling out each other.

Remember, the 168 weight class never existed. You went from middleweight at 160 to light-heavy at 175.

There is no way in hell that I would shell out for the Jones-Tito fight. Watch it week later, sure. I already pay enough in satellite dish.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by binnie
    Yeah, Miranda is exciting. I hope they don't rush the big fights though. He needs a lot of defensive work (moving his head would be a good start!) and they need to get him working the jab more to set up the KOs. Right now, he's like Lacy was 2.5 years ago: powerful but vulnerable. A little more learning and he could be something special.
    I agree, although I would put him farther along than Lacey was. Miranda needs some defensive work, no doubt.

You're right, some of these guys are too hard headed to realize that taking a punch only goes so far. Toughness is a must obviously, but stupidity will bury you too.

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

De La Hoya will fight tuneup match in May

By Dave Meltzer, Yahoo! Sports

January 18, 2008

Oscar De La Hoya will fight a tune-up match on May 3 before his expected rematch with Floyd Mayweather Jr. The match, against an opponent to be named later, will take place at either Mexico City's Estadio Azteca or the Home Depot Center in Carson, Calif.

The fight, which will be part of a career countdown, will likely air on HBO instead of pay-per-view, to help drum up interest in the proposed Sept. 13 rematch with Mayweather.

"I want to set a trend where the big-name fighters will fight on free television," De La Hoya said. "Why not go back to the roots? Go back to fighting on free television. I think the fans deserve it. I hope other fighters can do this."

According to Richard Schaefer, the CEO of Golden Boy Promotions, De La Hoya has discussed developing a show about going back to his roots, and on Friday morning he told Schaefer he wanted his next fight to feature such a theme.

De La Hoya made his name on HBO after winning a gold medal in the 1992 Olympics in Barcelona, Spain. De La Hoya said he wanted to give access to people who normally can't see boxing's top stars either live or on television.

"It's basically a thank-you fight for the fans," De La Hoya said.

De La Hoya also said he wants to make the final year of his career his biggest, building toward a September bout with Mayweather, who most experts agree holds the mythical title that De La Hoya covets – best pound-for-pound boxer in the world.

Schaefer has already talked with the Home Depot Center, which can hold 45,000 fans for boxing. Schaefer will fly to Mexico City for a Tuesday meeting with the owners of Estadio Azteca, which holds 130,000. If filled, it is believed it would set an all-time attendance record for pro boxing.

Schaefer said if the match is held in Mexico City, tickets would cost as little as a few dollars, with bottom ticket prices of $10 to $20 if it is held in Southern California.

The field has been narrowed to three opponents, whom Schaefer declined to name. De La Hoya is expected to make a decision over the weekend and they hope to finalize the deal within a week.

If all goes as planned after the September fight against Mayweather, De La Hoya's career would end with a huge boxing weekend promotion, tentatively scheduled for December. Possibilities include bringing back his famous opponents from the past, as well as showcasing young talent, possibly including pro debuts of the Summer Olympics' top stars.

Adding intrigue to the Mayweather fight, which may be held at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, is that Floyd Mayweather Sr. has agreed to train De La Hoya for all three fights this year.

The two were together for six years, but Mayweather Sr. backed out of training De La Hoya for last year's record-breaking fight because it was against his son. Mayweather Jr., 39-0 and the top-ranked fighter in the Yahoo! Sports pound-for-pound Top 10, beat De La Hoya via split decision on May 5. The event destroyed all pay-per-view records with 2.4 million buys.

Mayweather Jr. followed by beating Ricky Hatton via 10th round knockout on December 8. The success of the two fights led to it being the biggest year ever for boxing on pay-per-view.

"Floyd Sr. said he would train me for Floyd Mayweather Jr.," De La Hoya said. "That's excellent news for me. I'm very confident with Floyd Sr. in my corner. He knows Floyd Jr. better than anyone. He's the one who created him. With Floyd Sr. in my corner, my chances of winning are great."

Their first fight captured public interest unlike any in years, particularly from an HBO countdown documentary which turned Mayweather Jr. into a household name. The first fight lacked fireworks, and the bigger De La Hoya ultimately couldn't match the speed, reflexes or stamina of the man widely considered the most talented in boxing today. De La Hoya would need a new approach both to have a shot at beating Mayweather, but also to convince the public that the second fighter would be different from the first.

"Mayweather is the big fish in the sea," De La Hoya said. "He's the best pound-for-pound fighter in the world. I'm all about fighting the best fighter in the world and that's the fight I have to win.

He feels the added time plus a tune-up fight, plus Mayweather Sr. in his corner will be a difference-maker.

"If I stay active and in the gym and stay sharp, nobody can beat me," he said. "Fighting once a year wasn't the best thing for me."

De La Hoya said the third fight would "absolutely" be the final one of his career. "I can't turn back the clock," he said.

http://sports.yahoo.com/box/news;_yl...yhoo&type=lgns

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Roy Jones wins one-sided decision over Felix Trinidad
    By GREG BEACHAM, AP Sports Writer

January 20, 2008

NEW YORK (AP) -- Roy Jones Jr. defiantly wore a gilded crown into a ring surrounded by hostile fans of a Puerto Rican hero. He then taunted Felix Trinidad, waggling his chin and shaking his rump, before rudely flooring Tito twice.

Some old guys just never learn how to behave -- yet the 39-year-old Jones showed he can still get down to business, pounding another iconic boxer whose prime is well past.

Jones pranced and punched his way to a unanimous victory over Trinidad on Saturday night, dominating their 170-pound bout. From the opening minutes to the increasingly lopsided final rounds, Jones simply was too fast, even in a fight that was several years too late.

Jones and the 35-year-old Trinidad might have put on the year's best fight -- if the year was still 2001, back when both were kings of the sport.

"I can't believe you stayed in there 12 rounds with me," Jones said to Trinidad after the fight. "People thought we were old."

Actually, they still do. The 1990s' most dominant boxer has reflexes that are fading, but not totally faded -- and more than enough to beat another declining dynamo.

Jones (52-4, 38 KOs), the erstwhile pound-for-pound king who had lost three of his past five fights, was content mostly to clown away the early rounds of his first significant victory in four years. When he finally went to work, he knocked down Trinidad in the seventh and 10th, landing a power punch in nearly every exchange.

"He was slipping some really good punches," Jones said. "I was missing knocking him out by about an inch on some of those shots."

Trinidad (42-3) hadn't fought in 32 months since his second retirement. Tito still is his native island's most beloved athlete, judging by the frenetic support from the Madison Square Garden crowd, but the 35-year-old revealed the rust many expected in just his fifth fight in 6 1/2 years, his first since a decisive loss to Winky Wright.

Fighting 10 pounds over his heaviest previous weight, Trinidad couldn't match even Jones' diminished skills.

"I take nothing away from Roy, but if I could have avoided the knockdowns, I think I could have won the fight," said Trinidad, who hasn't decided whether he'll fight again. "Roy was very fast and strong. He threw great punches. I have no excuses. He demonstrated speed and took my body."

Judge Julie Lederman scored the bout 117-109 for Jones, while Nelson Vasquez and Tom Kaczmarek saw it 116-110. The Associated Press also called it for Jones, 118-108.

Jones connected on 172 of his 482 punches (36 percent), while Trinidad was 160-for-552 (29 percent). Jones had a big lead in power punches, landing 147 to Trinidad's 101 -- including a commanding 97-52 edge for Jones in power connections over the final seven rounds.

Though Jones hardly earned a title shot with this win, he would love to fight Joe Calzaghe, the unbeaten 168-pound Welsh champion, assuming Calzaghe beats Hopkins in their expected meeting in April. Jones even said he would travel to Europe for the fight, something he's been reluctant to do throughout his career.

"I'd go to Wales tomorrow," Jones said

After Jones mostly played defense in the first 2 1/2 rounds, he repeatedly teased Trinidad late in the third, pounding his own stomach and sticking out his chin while doing a jig. Tito was more businesslike, but mostly ineffective against Jones' defense.

With chants of "Tito!" filling the Garden, Jones finally landed a few damaging punches in the sixth round. Jones then dropped Trinidad to his knees early in the seventh with an overhand right.

Jones soon had control of the fight, sitting back on defense and pounding Trinidad's head. He floored Trinidad again late in the 10th with a jab and a straight right hand, removing nearly all doubt in the outcome.

Fans were left to wonder what might have happened if these champions had been matched sooner. Though both won armloads of title belts and millions of fans during their primes, Jones and Trinidad were kept apart by obstacles ranging from mandatory title defenses to the jab of Bernard Hopkins, whose upset win over five-time champ Trinidad sank a potential matchup with Jones six years ago.

Both then plummeted from the sport's elite ranks in 2005 with embarrassing defeats and eroding skills. Trinidad retired for the second time, while Jones was reduced to fighting in Boise and Biloxi -- but last year, Trinidad asked promoter Don King for a comeback fight against Jones, the eight-time champion who turned 39 on Wednesday.

Few would argue Jones hasn't been the same since he fell from his perch as boxing's pound-for-pound best with three consecutive losses from 2004-05, including knockouts by Glen Johnson and Antonio Tarver.

Saturday's 170-pound catch weight presented potential problems for both fighters: The normally skinny Trinidad had never fought above 160, but Jones hadn't been as light as 171 since 1998. After winning a heavyweight title in 2003, Jones shed 18 pounds of muscle to make weight in his first fight against Tarver, and the ordeal contributed to his fall from pre-eminence.

Trinidad seemed joyous as he basked in the pre-fight cheers of his fans, but he also wasn't the same Tito who has enthralled Puerto Ricans and millions of New Yorkers since winning his first welterweight title in 1993. Thousands of those fans turned out at the Garden, yet exorbitant ticket prices kept many more away in a crowd of 12,162, well short of capacity.

http://sports.yahoo.com/box/news;_yl...v=ap&type=lgns

Veteran

Member No
    Last Online
    07-28-2013 @ 08:48 PM
    Status
    Thanks

How's Brian Minto doing these days?
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    12-27-2016 @ 08:33 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,785 Times in 1,252 Posts

I didn't watch Jones-Trinidad (wasn't on until 3am here, and I only stasy up that late if the fight is important...). I'll catch a re-run.

I did however, watch Chagaev successfully defend his title against former British champ Matt Skleton (not shown in the US). Really decent fight/brawl. Not pretty but interesting. Chagaev impressed me, his stamina kept up over 12 intensive rounds - not too many heavys do that these days. Skelton had a big heart, but from round three it was clear who was going to win....

I'm glad De La Hoya will fight three times this year. I'd like to see him go out with a couple of wins. Wonder who the tune-up will be? Zab Judah?

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Binnie- Hard to say about Oscar now, would seem like the Mayweather fight makes most sense because of the money.

Hyman - Minto is a bum, will always be a bum. He has fought no one, will fight no one, and will be more likely to commit a felony than to ever challenge for a title (WBA, WBC, IBF) as he has gotten his ass kicked by old men, has-beens, and nobodys. He isn't listed anywhere in any significant boxing rankings and at 33 years old, he will be looking for a factory job soon.

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Povetkin bests Chambers by decision

January 27, 2008

BERLIN (TICKER) -- Alexander Povetkin clinched a unanimous decision over previously unbeaten Eddie Chambers to become the next mandatory challenger to IBF heavyweight champion Wladimir Klitschko.

The Russian star threw - and landed - more punches than his American opponent, and his dominance was mirrored by the scorecards. The three judges ruled the bout 119-109, 117-111 and 116-112 in the favor of the former world amateur champion and Olympic gold medal winner.

The 28-year-old Povetkin (15-0, 11 knockouts) can now look forward to a possible clash against Klitschko.

"I haven't had any time to think about it," Povetkin said of his future opponent. "It would be a huge honor to fight him.

"The only thing I know is that I will be prepared even better. I have been bothered by a few colds during the preparation, but (I) will never step in the ring again when I am not 100 percent fit."

Povetkin certainly looked fit against the 25-year-old Chambers (30-1, 16 knockouts).

The bout came to pass when the IBF ordered a four-way box-off to determine the top contender. Youth prevailed, with Povetkin stopping ex-champion Chris Byrd in the 11th round and Chambers beating Calvin Brock on points.

http://sports.yahoo.com/box/news?slu...v=st&type=lgns

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Chambers blew the fight against Povetkin.

He was blistering him with the jab and bruised and about closed his eye by the third round. Then Chambers simply stopped punching.

His dad is his trainer and they had brought on Buddy McGirt to assist for this fight and they were both pleading with him to start punching.

He kept saying "okay" but never did. He threw a total of 31 punches in the final two rounds when he clearly needed a knockout.
    Last edited by ALinChainz; 01-27-2008 at 12:08 PM.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by ALinChainz
    Binnie- Hard to say about Oscar now, would seem like the Mayweather fight makes most sense because of the money.
    Yeah, he's fighting Steve Forbes as a tune up, and then I think the plan is Mayweather.

The Forbes fight will be free to watch. Doubt it'll alst long though.

Thanks for the review of the Chambers fight, it wasn't shown over here. Much appreciated.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Some BIG light-heavy fights in April.

Obviously, Calzaghe-Hopkins on April 19th (Hopkins will make it a snooze-fest, the build-up will be more exciting than the fight.)

More interestingly, on 12th April Antonio Tarver challenges for Clinton Woods' IBF belt (Woods will kill him, trust me....) and Chad Dawson defends against Glen Johnson. Both fights on the same bill!

I think Dawson-Johnson will be close. Given the adaptability Dawson showed in his last fight, I see him edging a points victory but I don't suppose we can ever count a guy as rugged and determined as Johnson out of the running.

If the winners of those two fights take each other on, we will have something of a unification (there's still Erdoi's belt mind....)

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-07-2016 @ 01:20 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,110 Times in 2,874 Posts

I missed the rebroadcast of the Jones-Trinidad fight the other night (dammit), but one thing I heard them talking during the post commentary about was the possibility of a Jones-De La Hoya fight now?? :confused:

I mean, in Roy's prime, as good as Oscar is/was, I think Roy would've taken him...
    but the pundits were saying Roy is not quite as past his prime as originally thought. They also mentioned the possibiliy him fighting the winner of the Pavlik-Taylor rematch....?
    Though one guy said "You can bet Roy will not have as much fun as he did here against either of the two of those fighters..."
    Last edited by jhale667; 02-02-2008 at 02:47 PM.

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

They also mentioned Roy taking on Mayweather for "All-time pound-for-pound", but said that at this point it would be "too much like Roy trying to take himself on in his prime"
    I.E. Same basic skill set, but Floyd is (eight years?) younger and (currently) faster, and thus would have the advantage out of the gate.....
    Could have been cool as shit a few years ago maybe...just like a Jones-De La Hoya fight would have been....then.....

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Well, I'm not really into these "pound for pound" fights if there is too much of a weight disparity.

Jones Weights 175, Floyd 147 - that doesn't make for a good fight, as Floyd will run away all night. Same thing with De La Hoya vs Roy, too much of a size disparity. In his prime, of course Roy would have beaten those guys because he is naturally bigger and far, far more powerful (and probably faster actually...).

Roy did look good against Tito, better than he has for years. But it was against Tito, who really didn't have much to give. Pavlick or Taylor would have too much for him these days I think, although niether one of them would have lasted 8 rounds in Roy's prime (much as I like both of 'em, they ain't in that league.)

Roy should be thinking about fighting the winner of Chad Dawson-Glen Jonson or Clinton Woods-Antontio Tarver. If he can build on his Tito victory, and continue the style changes he's made, he might be a real contender at 175. Might is the key word though....

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quintina beat Paul Williams. It wasn't shown over here, but reading the reports he seems to have won it clearly.

Bit of an upset that one, and a testimony to the depth of talent at 147 when a tp fighter gets beaten.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Anyone see Pavlik/Taylor II?

I heard it was close.

Wanted to see it, but I just didn't have the energy to stay up until 4am to do so (fell asleep, doh!)

I'll catch a re-run....

king of cool
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    04-06-2018 @ 02:53 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Nah, man....I didn't buy it.

But from what I've heard, Pavlik won decisively.

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by DlocRoth
    Nah, man....I didn't buy it.

But from what I've heard, Pavlik won decisively.
    I didn't buy it either, but heard pretty much the same thing...

Funny how Taylor supposedly thoroughly trounced Pavlik in their 1st bout as amateurs,
    and Pavlik has now avenged that loss twice since they went professional...
    Last edited by jhale667; 02-22-2008 at 11:28 PM.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

It wasn't a one-sided fight by any means - Pavlik was busier and more aggressive, but Taylor was doing the better boxing.

I caught a re-run of it and scored it 114-114. Pretty damn close, IMO. A lot of the reports are saying that the decision could have gone either way, but it was Pavlik's work rate and aggressiveness that edged it for him.

I'd say Pavlik probably landed more punches, but Taylor landed the cleaner blows. Very entertaining fight.

Taylor won rounds 3-6 pretty decisively, his jab and movement stopped Kelly getting into a rhythm. Throughout the fight he was working to the body very impressively. He looked really good actually, and won my respect.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Klitscho-Sultan was fucking appauling.

Jab, jab, jab, jab, jab.

12 rounds of watching paint dry.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Vasquez-Marquez III this weekend - who ya picking?

For my money, as long as Vasquez doesn't have to pull-out because of cuts, he wins this one in the later rounds by a TKO.

Cuts could change everything though....

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Klitscho-Sultan was fucking appauling.

Jab, jab, jab, jab, jab.

12 rounds of watching paint dry.
    More like twelve rounds of watching Klitscho slap at Sultan's jab...fucking annoying.
    I was sitting there like "SOMEBODY HIT SOMEBODY ALEADY!!!"

Yeah, that was a snorefest.

king of cool
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    04-06-2018 @ 02:53 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Fucking Russians.

Where's the great white hype?

We need another Gerry Cooney for Christ sakes.

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

1. Quintana handled Paul Williams VERY easily, Williams was a disappointment.

2. Pavlik did out punch and outwork Taylor, but the fight was much, much closer than the ringside judges had it. Had Taylor kept up the work rate, he may have pulled an upset. Pavlik's jab won out but volume.

3. Klitschko landed the right when he threw it and Emmanuel Steward kept telling him how bad it looked and how Sultan should have never lasted with him. Too cautious.

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I didn't watch the whole Klitschko fight, but at one point it seemed like Emmanuel Steward was like "Why are we still HERE?"

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Vasquez-Marquez III this weekend - who ya picking?

For my money, as long as Vasquez doesn't have to pull-out because of cuts, he wins this one in the later rounds by a TKO.

Cuts could change everything though....
    Another binnie prediction comes true!

What an absolutely outstanding fight, hell, what an absolutely outstanding trilogy!

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Fellas, there is a fight this Saturday that you HAVE to watch. It is been aired on US time.

David haye vs Enzo Maccrinelli for the WBA, WBC and WBO Cruiserweight belts.

These two are undoubteldy the best cruisers out there and they both punch like nothing on planet earth, probably harder than ANY of the heavies out there (reports from sparring suggest that these guys spark heavies no problem.)

David Haye is 21-1 with 20 knock outs, and is regarding as the best Cruiser out there after demolishing Jean Marc Mckmeck (watch Jean's face when the body shots connect.) Maccrinelli is 28-1 with 20-something knocouts. He is trained by Joe Calzaghe's father and has improved with every fight he's had under that tutelage.

Both guys have been stopped, both have questionable chins (not glass-jaws by any means, but not Oliver McCalls either!) so this means big guns blazing and a knock out for sure. This will be huge in the UK, and you guys should check it out too!

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I'm on it Bin ... any unification on TV I'm usually on it.

The more fights like this, the better for the sport.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Exactly. Whilst Klitscho-Sultan was a dull fight, at least it's a step towards unification.

If we could have a unified heavyweight champ in two years, it'd be great for the sport.

It's a credit to Pavlik that he wants to win another belt at 160 before moving up. If the fight between he and Arthur Abraham can happen, it will be a classic, trust me. Both are brawlers and punchers, and Abraham has been in more wars than Atilla than Hun. Pav will edge it, but I think it'll be a great war.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Lots of great fights in the next couple of weeks.

This weekend,

Juan Diaz vs Nate Campbell.

Diaz will win this I think, but it'll be tougher than people expect. I reckon UD. Maybe a knockdown but no stoppage as Diaz isn't an explosive puncher.

Sam Peter vs Ruslan Chagaev.

Well, maybe not a 'great' fight lol. I suppose the smart money is on Peter as Chagaev is almost as old a Holyfield, but Sam looked terrible against McCline and is a very vulnerable fighter. I really don't feel confident in making a prediction, but I feel Chagaev may cause an upset. Let's hope Peter has a good night.

David Haye vs Enzo Maccrinelli.

Bound to be a good fight. All the smakrt money is on Haye: naturally bigger, fought better opposition, hits even harder and more unorthodox. That being said, I fancy Maccrinelli for an upset either by later round stoppage or points victory. Haye looked incredibly easy to hit in his fight with Morcmeck, and Maccrineeli has a great jab - together, that spells trouble. If Enzo keeps his head and doesn't get into a brawl in the early rounds, I predict he'll win. (knowing my luck, Haye will spark him in one round and I'll look like an idiot, lol...)

15th March.

Manny Pacquiano vs Juan Manuel Marquez.

This should be exceptional. Hard to imagine Pacquiano losing, but I've got a feeling that Marquez will take this as he seemed to have Manny figured out after the first round of the last fight. I'm a huge Manny fan, but I'm not convinced he can pull this one off....

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Haye believes he will move to heavyweight and become a star of the division.

I agree about Peter, he should be a bulldozing powerhouse, but he leaves a lot of it in the gym or something because he has a tendency for lackluster performances.

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

And I think Manny will win this fight ... he seems to rise to the big fight occasion.

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    07-21-2023 @ 08:21 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Is it just me or does anyone else feel like sports in general have
    lost a lot of popularity.
    Take boxing for example Just a few years ago anybody could name
    a handfull of boxers.
    Sugar Ray Leonard , Hearns , Hagler , Duran , Chavez , Tyson ,
    Foreman , Ali , Frazier , Norton and lots of others.
    But know if your not a big boxing fan , their are only a couple of big names Del La Hoya , Roy Jones jr.
    Why aren't athletes big celebs like they used to be?
    Come to think about it Roth fans are a dying breed.
    How many new artists have such loyal fans?
    Or athletes?
    Nascar in the south is still full of fans whose very lives revolve around
    Their particular hero.
    But other sports?
    Not so much.
    Maybe I'm just getting too old .

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Boxing has definitely lost popularity because of poor fight making: for 15+ years the top guys in each division haven't fought each other as often as they did in the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s, there are a lot of belt holders and not a lot of champions.

Also the heavy weight division is in a talent-void: that's the weight which is the ambassador for the sport and pulls in the casual fans.

As for the more general point, about there being a decline in fanbases in general, I think that might be overstated. There are plenty of global superstar actors, and plenty of bands with huge followings.

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by ALinChainz

I agree about Peter, he should be a bulldozing powerhouse, but he leaves a lot of it in the gym or something because he has a tendency for lackluster performances.
    Seems like that guy can definitely dish it out, but can't necessarily take it...jaw seems a little questionable...

He did knock Kiltscho down what, 3 times in one fight? Didn't see it...

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    07-21-2023 @ 08:21 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Boxing has definitely lost popularity because of poor fight making: for 15+ years the top guys in each division haven't fought each other as often as they did in the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s, there are a lot of belt holders and not a lot of champions.

Also the heavy weight division is in a talent-void: that's the weight which is the ambassador for the sport and pulls in the casual fans.

As for the more general point, about there being a decline in fanbases in general, I think that might be overstated. There are plenty of global superstar actors, and plenty of bands with huge followings.
    I disagree with your last point but as this is a boxing thread
    I will not elaborate here.
    Last edited by cadaverdog; 03-06-2008 at 05:20 PM.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by jhale667
    Seems like that guy can definitely dish it out, but can't necessarily take it...jaw seems a little questionable...

He did knock Kiltscho down what, 3 times in one fight? Didn't see it...
    True, but Klitscho doesn't have the best jaw in the world, in any other era he wouldn't have been champ for long.

Peter has a big punch. But that's it. He has no defence, no real speed and he is off-balance a lot of the time.

It makes me laugh when people compare him to Mike Tyson: firstly, he doesn't have THAT kind of power, and secondly, Mike's punches were pin-point accurate and very quick. Peter's aren't.

The way he struggled with a former middleweight, James Toney, tells us everything we need to know about Peter. He's an average fighter in a heavyweight division populated solely by journeymen.

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

True, but Klitscho doesn't have the best jaw in the world, in any other era he wouldn't have been champ for long.

Peter has a big punch. But that's it. He has no defence, no real speed and he is off-balance a lot of the time.

It makes me laugh when people compare him to Mike Tyson: firstly, he doesn't have THAT kind of power, and secondly, Mike's punches were pin-point accurate and very quick. Peter's aren't.

The way he struggled with a former middleweight, James Toney, tells us everything we need to know about Peter. He's an average fighter in a heavyweight division populated solely by journeymen.
    Tyson in his prime was able to throw three (pinpoint, HARD, accurate) punches a SECOND...yeah, by the time you could say "One one thousand" - he could have nailed you THREE TIMES...no way Peter is anywhere near in that ballpark.

And I totally agree with you about the "populated by journeymen" comment...I was watching the Joe Louis documentary, and it (the current heavyweight scene) reminds me of the "bum of the month club", as they called it....only there's no Brown Bomber, just the bums....

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

It's only going to take one half-decent heavy to come along and clean up, if politics lets him...

Thread Information