Thread: Fuck Eddie and his antics....

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Caught between the Moon and New York City
    Status

Fuck Eddie and his antics....

The shit he has pulled since Dave left Van Halen is nasty.....

Fuck, He got that piece of shite Spammy in the band, made a bunch of Horrible albums.....

Drank and drugged himself to deaths door practically......

Then all of a sudden about 10 years ago we all thought DAVE IS BACK.....well that all went "Pear Shaped".....

Now you add on the fact that Eddie put his name on the most horrible sounding Amps Ever(The Peavey 5150 & 5150II) and those ugly nasty sounding Peavey Fatboy(Wolfgang) guitars.....

Then Eddie thought he'dd be "SMART" and endorse those Charvel "Striped up" guitars....

Has anyone here played one of those Charvel Guitars???

They are NOTHING like what he used to play.....

Different Body, Different Neck, Different Frets etc, etc.....

The fucking Sheep love all of this shit though......

"OH MY GOD, MAN!!!!! THIS WOLFGANG GUITAR IS THE MOST BADDASS GUITAR I HAVE EVER OWNED!". -Typical Eddie Shit kinda saying.

(While they try and copy EVH note for note which they will on "Eddie's Gear").

Head Fluffer

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I guess you could always buy a Frankenstein.

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by kamaboko
    I guess you could always buy a Frankenstein.
    HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

Serial Killer
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Re: Fuck Eddie and his antics....

Originally posted by Eddie's Booze
    The shit he has pulled since Dave left Van Halen is nasty.....

Fuck, He got that piece of shite Spammy in the band, made a bunch of Horrible albums.....

Drank and drugged himself to deaths door practically......

Then all of a sudden about 10 years ago we all thought DAVE IS BACK.....well that all went "Pear Shaped".....

Now you add on the fact that Eddie put his name on the most horrible sounding Amps Ever(The Peavey 5150 & 5150II) and those ugly nasty sounding Peavey Fatboy(Wolfgang) guitars.....

Then Eddie thought he'dd be "SMART" and endorse those Charvel "Striped up" guitars....

Has anyone here played one of those Charvel Guitars???

They are NOTHING like what he used to play.....

Different Body, Different Neck, Different Frets etc, etc.....

The fucking Sheep love all of this shit though......

"OH MY GOD, MAN!!!!! THIS WOLFGANG GUITAR IS THE MOST BADDASS GUITAR I HAVE EVER OWNED!". -Typical Eddie Shit kinda saying.

(While they try and copy EVH note for note which they will on "Eddie's Gear").

This is posibly the best post I have ever read on a VH forum.

Tell it like it is Eddie's Booze!
    "One mouthful of you will rot every tooth in my mouth you little sugar"

Groupie

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by Plexi Head
    This is posibly the best post I have ever read on a VH forum.

Tell it like it is Eddie's Booze!
    HAHAHA! Wow! Someone NAILED it!

When I first heard the 5150, I thought "You're kidding, right? That amp licks donkey balls!". Then I saw so many people flipping out over it I was laughing my ass off. Deafness is a lot more prevalent than I thought! LOL

The Wolfie is a very cool guitar for what it is (but replace those godawful pickups right away!), but it sure doesn't nail the tone of Frankie.

My next axe will be a Warmoth made of Northern Ash. That right there is a huge part of the tonal recipe. The EBMM and Wolfie had basswood bodies with maple tops, (and Wolfies were also available with solid Basswood bodies as well) and there's no way that will sound the same as Northern Ash.
    Last edited by JohnnyGuitar69; 06-23-2007 at 02:09 PM.

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by JohnnyGuitar69
    HAHAHA! Wow! Someone NAILED it!

When I first heard the 5150, I thought "You're kidding, right? That amp licks donkey balls!". Then I saw so many people flipping out over it I was laughing my ass off. Deafness is a lot more prevalent than I thought! LOL

The Wolfie is a very cool guitar for what it is (but replace those godawful pickups right away!), but it sure doesn't nail the tone of Frankie.

My next axe will be a Warmoth made of Northern Ash. That right there is a huge part of the tonal recipe. The EBMM and Wolfie had basswood bodies with maple tops, (and Wolfies were also available with solid Basswood bodies as well) and there's no way that will sound the same as Northern Ash.
    Honestly, If someone offered to sell me a 5150 head for $10 I'd say they'dd asking too much for it. People like to say shit like "Well, If you change the tubes in the 5150 and re-bias it they sound Awesome".

WTF is that all about??? Some people out there really are cunts, you know???

A fucking Amp should be great sounding when it is STOCK.....Anybody who buys a fucking Amp and then fucking Spends $300 or $400 to get it re-tubed etc is a CUNT.

I did buy a Peavey 5150 and got rid of the fucking thing faster than it took me to buy it in the first place.....

Eddie's lied about it having an extra gain stage when it first came out.....It mustn't have had a GAIN stage to begin with.

All lovers of GREAT guitar tone only buy either Vintage Marshall's, Vintage Fender's, old school Boogie Amps or Soldano's.

The Peavey 5150 is even nastier than "Sloppy Seconds"(Anyone over the age of 18 at some point has had to deal with "Sloppy Seconds" NASTY!!!!)

SELF DESTRUCT MODE
    Head Fluffer

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Soldano's are great heads, man.
    Marshalls are the shit, but inconsistent.
    The good ones are very good, but the bad ones sound like a cheap Crate amp.
    I really hate the damn Mesa Rectifier nu metal tone, though.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    You failed to rip the new 5150 III amp which is just a 5150 II with individual controls for the crunch channel and no ressonance control.
    No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by Nitro Express
    You failed to rip the new 5150 III amp which is just a 5150 II with individual controls for the crunch channel and no ressonance control.
    It wouldn't even be good for firewood those cunts are made out of chipboard!!!

BOOM!!! BOOM!

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I picked up a 5150 combo on the cheap and just added a wide sweep bias pot to it and some decent tubes. Peavey always put a narrow sweep bias in those amp so Jethro could retube his own amp and they still sold with shitty sound.

It's basically a rip-off of the Soldano circuit but the amps hold up to lots of abuse and are cheap and if you tinker yourself you can get a pretty good sound going.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    All I can say is have about $10,000 handy to buy a good vintage plexi or build a Metropaulos 1967 plexi kit and pray to Allah it has the brown sound after you have spent months tediousely wiring the thing together.

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I picked up a 5150 combo on the cheap and just added a wide sweep bias pot to it and some decent tubes. Peavey always put a narrow sweep bias in those amp so Jethro could retube his own amp and they still sold with shitty sound.

It's basically a rip-off of the Soldano circuit but the amps hold up to lots of abuse and are cheap and if you tinker yourself you can get a pretty good sound going.

Medal???

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    All I can say is have about $10,000 handy to buy a good vintage plexi or build a Metropaulos 1967 plexi kit and pray to Allah it has the brown sound after you have spent months tediousely wiring the thing together.
    BLAH, BLAH, BLAH......

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I can give the guy a pass in some ways for what transpired from 1985 to 1996, because
    1) Roth bailed on the band. Even though they probably should have changed the name, it's childish to have expected Ed and the rest to have simply retired. Did they have to go with Hagar as the frontman and make the music they did? No, and it certainly wasn't to my tastes, but then one always has the option of simply not buying and listening to the stuff.
    2) Far as the press backbiting went, Roth was out there slinging mud right along with them. Inevitably Dave was doing it with more style and humor, but there you go.

The whole 1996 biz ending up with Cherone when all the dust settled, THAT to me was basically the Van Halens saying to everyone else "We're going with who WE want, not who we KNOW you want. If you don't like it, don't bother with it." Fine. Hey, in an odd way it took a bit of balls (and a lot of stubborness) to fly in the face of what everyone else wanted from them. Tough shit for the Van Halens that more people decided to leave it than take it.

The 2004 deal was just more pathetic. Instead of just giving the majority the reunion they wanted, they chose the path of lesser resistance and went with Hagar. It's like they couldn't even be bothered to finally give in and give the people 100% of what they wanted.

Far as his cancer and his divorce, I don't wish that shit on anybody. Far as his continued boozehound behavior and career-suicide turns, Ed's got nobody but himself to blame, and I got no sympathy for him. The brass ring is right there for him to grab one more time, and his drunken misguided pride prevents him from doing so. Deep down he knows he never was the be-all end-all of Van Halen when Dave was in the band, otherwise he would have secure enough to have just went ahead and sealed to deal with Dave in 1996. Just a bunch of decades-old festering ego issues on all sides that are more tiresome than entertaining these days.

Even the running soap opera has become boring.
    Scramby eggs and bacon.

ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I don't feel that way everyday, but a very solid post.

2) Far as the press backbiting went, Roth was out there slinging mud right along with them. Inevitably Dave was doing it with more style and humor, but there you go.

I may sightly argue one point. I heard, and from all that i've seen in the media. Dave was spit on first "In the -Media-" -by the VH crew."

These are the things that must be forgiven, these are the old ego bruises.

Great Post.
    Last edited by thome; 06-23-2007 at 10:16 PM.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by Eddie's Booze

Medal???

Dude. I least I didn't buy a Crate Red Voodoo and a Washburn Sammy Hagar model guitar and wear a Cabo Wabo T shirt while playing it.

Groupie

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

5150's CAN be made to sound better, I agree with you, but even after that's done, they still seem really weird to me...as if several components of the tone are just MANGLED. I've really TRIED to like the 5150 series, but no luck. Ya know what really gets me? How the Hell they made a Soldano-styled circuit sound BAD...that takes WORK, but they did it! LOL (Hey bro, if you're diggin' the way your amp sounds, then God bless ya. I'm only speaking for myself. Glad you like it!) :-)
    Last edited by JohnnyGuitar69; 06-24-2007 at 02:54 AM.

Groupie

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Get a used Plexi or even a used JCM 800 and have Dave Friedman of Rack Systems in North Hollywood mod it. He does Ed's work. (Yes, I'm serious, and no, I'm not Dave Friedman! LOL) His email is racksystems at yahoo dot com

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    5150's CAN be made to sound better, I agree with you, but even after that's done, they still seem really weird to me...as if several components of the tone are just MANGLED. I've really TRIED to like the 5150 series, but no luck. Ya know what really gets me? How the Hell they made a Soldano-styled circuit sound BAD...that takes WORK, but they did it! LOL (Hey bro, if you're diggin' the way your amp sounds, then God bless ya. I'm only speaking for myself. Glad you like it!) :-)
    You have to have the right pickups. The 5150 does best with low gain ones. Ted Nugent gets an awsome sound with his with both a 58 Les Paul and his vintage Byrdlands. He dials his volume on the guitar back a tad.

The 5150 is a different monster and you can't treat it like other amps or you're fucked. The knobs actually do something. One old Fenders and Marshalls you can put all the knobs at 12:00 and get a good base sound happening then you tweak it. On a 5150, you're fucked!

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I really like the Metropaulos amps. I had a 67 Plexi copy made from one of their kits and am quite happy with it.

Groupie

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    You have to have the right pickups. The 5150 does best with low gain ones. Ted Nugent gets an awsome sound with his with both a 58 Les Paul and his vintage Byrdlands. He dials his volume on the guitar back a tad.

The 5150 is a different monster and you can't treat it like other amps or you're fucked. The knobs actually do something. One old Fenders and Marshalls you can put all the knobs at 12:00 and get a good base sound happening then you tweak it. On a 5150, you're fucked!
    I agree with you on the low output pickups with the 5150. I've been doing amp development for years, and I think it's an amp design that wasn't fully realized.

Again, I'm not knocking your observations, please know that. I just don't dig it. PS, I love Ted! :-D

Groupie

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I really like the Metropaulos amps. I had a 67 Plexi copy made from one of their kits and am quite happy with it.
    I haven't had the chance to play one of those yet, but I keep hearing great things about 'em! :-)

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I also made me a tweed Fender Bassman copy from a kid. I build my own amps. I actually use that one mostly as a bass amp which it origianlly was designed for.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I haven't had the chance to play one of those yet, but I keep hearing great things about 'em! :-)
    The quality is A+++ and they know their stuff. If you want a modern remake of a classic Marshall, it's as close as you are going to get. My dad is a ham radio opperator and a great wiring technician. He restores antique radios as a hobby and I had him build the amp for me. What's funny is he hates electric guitar but thought the component quality was great. LOL!

Groupie

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    The quality is A+++ and they know their stuff. If you want a modern remake of a classic Marshall, it's as close as you are going to get. My dad is a ham radio opperator and a great wiring technician. He restores antique radios as a hobby and I had him build the amp for me. What's funny is he hates electric guitar but thought the component quality was great. LOL!
    Suuuuuu-WEET, bro!

Groupie

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I've seen pictures of those amps with the variac built into the top of them but never heard one. One major key to that old VH sound is the 25 watt Greenback speakers in a Marshall cab. He's got the tone happening and I think a lot of people miss that not because of equipment but because they don't have the right feel and touch of the instrument.

Groupie

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I've seen pictures of those amps with the variac built into the top of them but never heard one. One major key to that old VH sound is the 25 watt Greenback speakers in a Marshall cab. He's got the tone happening and I think a lot of people miss that not because of equipment but because they don't have the right feel and touch of the instrument.
    The gearpage link, 1st post, has clips. (See link I posted earlier in this thread) Also, the Blankenship amp with the variac was co-designed by Dave Friedman, who does Ed's work. It's pretty amazing! Greenbacks...YES!!!

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by thome
    I don't feel that way everyday, but a very solid post.

I may sightly argue one point. I heard, and from all that i've seen in the media. Dave was spit on first "In the -Media-" -by the VH crew."

These are the things that must be forgiven, these are the old ego bruises.

Great Post.
    First I can remember of any of it being in print was the Rolling Stone blurb where Ed said something to the effect of being glad he didn't have to continue putting up with Roth after 10 or 12 years of his bullshit, or something to that effect. That's not to say that there wasn't another quote that had been put out in another outlet by Roth prior to that...

...Think Ed's just plain confused and thinks it's still 1996, when the entity known as Van Halen was still a commercially viable name, and that he still holds all the cards and anything he does with Dave is him doing Roth a favor, where the reality is now NEITHER of them have other options left BUT to team up with each other (be it on a CVH dvd release, a new record or a tour) if the goal is to produce something that's gonna generate big-time interest and money.

We know it. dave knows it. I think deep down in places they don't care to visit often, the Eddie Grunts and the Van Halens know it, too.

Head Fluffer

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I can only imagine the shit that went on b/t Dave and Ed.

Ed:"I write the fucking music!"
    Dave:"I write the fucking lyrics that people hum all day long".
    Ed:"People come to our shows b/c they know I'm a guitar god"
    Dave:"People come to our shows b/c they know I'm fucking sex machine; everyone woman wants me, and every guy wants to be me"
    Ed:'The band is named after me".
    Dave:"When people think of Van Halen, who do they think of first? Me!"

In short, egos from hell and beyond.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Eddie didn't use the greenbacks live because he blew too many of them. He used Vintage 30's and Electrovoice speakers live.

His live tone over the years was hit and miss, he always had a good studio tone. I would love to know what he was using during the Oakland show on the Fair Warning tour. The best live sound out of them all!

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Interesting info about Eddie's Plexi from Mike Soldano....

Hey Amp Man!
    Mike, I am pleased to say that I am a proud owner of a Soldano HR50+. As a guitarist, your amp has inspired me with the phenomenal tone that I had been searching a long time for. As an electrical engineering student, your amp designs have inspired me to design my own high-quality tube amplifiers (hope you don't mind the competition, ha ha.). I have recently been reading articles on Eddie Van Halen's amps/tone and I have two questions that I would appreciate your opinion on:
    #1 - What is your opinion on using a Variac transformer to achieve power tube saturation at lower volumes? Can this damage the amp?
    #2 - I recently bought a dummy load (8 Ohm 100W non-inductive) for bench testing equipment and was curious to try what EVH was rumored to doing with his amps. That is, plugging the dummy load in, cranking the amp, and then sending the slave output to another amp. I have been advised by competent people to not try this, as the dummy load is not a real speaker load, and as such may overload the transformer. I disagree and say that even though the dummy load is non-frequency dependant as a real speaker load is, it will still provide the amp with the proper impedance. I really don't want to damage my baby, so I'll wait and see what you have to say on the issue. Oh, and I'll leave room for a Soldano plug: What is the new Soldano Avenger amp all about?

Hi I'm glad the Hot Rod 50 Plus has brought inspiration to your playing! But could you please wait until I retire to bring out your own amps? I've got more than enough competition as it is right now (ha,ha,ha!).

Anyway, we once had Eddie's main Plexi amp in our shop in Hollywood and it sounded just like most other Plexi's we had played, nothing exceptional at all. It had no mods, either. But we did try using a Variac with it, and turning the voltage down. This makes the amp saturate at a lower volume, and softens the sound. At about 88 volts, we were getting the Eddie sound. As a side note, Eddie also played through one of my Orange 120's while he was there (no Variac) and we could still hear the Eddie sound from the Orange, which I would not have thought possible - so there is WAY more to it than just the amp. But of course, you already knew that.

http://www.musicianshotline.com/arch...dano/04_03.htm

Last edited by Seshmeister; 06-23-2014 at 05:23 PM.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Ted Nugent also played Ed's plexi and it sounded like Ted. I watched Ed play through a Fender Bandmaster (I believe)and he was getting a great crunchy tone that we would recognize as him.

SELF DESTRUCT MODE
    Head Fluffer

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Eddie didn't use the greenbacks live because he blew too many of them. He used Vintage 30's and Electrovoice speakers live.

His live tone over the years was hit and miss, he always had a good studio tone. I would love to know what he was using during the Oakland show on the Fair Warning tour. The best live sound out of them all!

Awesome post!
    I heard rumors that Ed was using Laneys during the Oakland set.
    His tone blew away the ones heard during the US FEst & the "Hide your sheep" era, in general.

Thread Information