Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ALMOSTsaved
    Veteran
    • Feb 2004

Lack of a full bass sound a la Diver Down also hurt Skyscraper.
    I like to pay close attention to the things I'll forget later...

Comment

• NathanRay
      Head Fluffer
      • Feb 2004

I think Dave is finally coming to grips with it. His current hair cut is not deceptive and it's all Diamond. -Hey Dave ain't Bald Theres Just more face to enjoy than there used to be. But I fully enjoy Skyscraper not as good as eeas but very great never the less.
      "It's just not an option for me to go and watch some other band — who are only performing because they have some new record coming out — do our music," Roth said. "I have nothing against Velvet Revolver — I'm not familiar with their music — but that was my 3 minutes and 22 seconds up there."
      Roth Keeps it REEEEAL

Originally posted by Antman
      Fuck Alex Van Halen. That mongoloid Mr. Spock looking mother fucker.

Comment

• Mezro
        Full Member Status

• May 2004

Originally posted by Big Troubles
        Hair loss didn't ruin Skyscraper. Stand Up did. And the over usage of synthesizers.
        Synths sucked the life right out of it but Dave did have other things on his mind during the sessions..and it was not his music.

Mezro..synths will no destroy my posts
        Got me a date with a shaved Asian. I know, I know; I think it's fucked!

Comment

• NathanRay
          Head Fluffer
          • Feb 2004

Stand Up JLP and Skyscraper are the Shiz
          "It's just not an option for me to go and watch some other band — who are only performing because they have some new record coming out — do our music," Roth said. "I have nothing against Velvet Revolver — I'm not familiar with their music — but that was my 3 minutes and 22 seconds up there."
          Roth Keeps it REEEEAL

Originally posted by Antman
          Fuck Alex Van Halen. That mongoloid Mr. Spock looking mother fucker.

Comment

• Mezro
            Full Member Status

• May 2004

Originally posted by NathanRay
            I think Dave is finally coming to grips with it. His current hair cut is not deceptive and it's all Diamond. -Hey Dave ain't Bald Theres Just more face to enjoy than there used to be. But I fully enjoy Skyscraper not as good as eeas but very great never the less.
            Agreed: he now does accept it..but in the late 80's it must have been his mental version of hell.

Mezro..finally got a thread going!

Comment

• Hollywood Jesus
              Head Fluffer
              • Mar 2004

No need to clean up this Mezz...

I believe we may have some insight brewing here.

EEAS was cool except for the Steve Vai perfectionism. On Scraper, our man Dave seemed to hit the perfectionist button pretty hard himself.

That may have been to compensate for hair, may have been to combat VH...who knows. But it did happen. Too many synths, too much forced wit and songs that attempted to be more commercial than rock.

Sorry to say, but it was like Dave was trying to hang onto something more than trying to forge new ground.

Scraper was also the point where I sorely missed Michael Anthony's backing vocals. That point doesn't diminish Dave's vocals; I believe the sweet background vocals merely reinforced Dave's hell-raising, bluesy style.

I wonder: A shaved-bald DLR. Hey it worked for Andre Agassi!
              "Float like a butterfly. Sting like a B-52." - DLR=VH=
              "Rejoice in the wife of your youth. May her breasts satisfy you always." Proverbs 5:18-19.

Comment

• Big Troubles
                ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                • Feb 2004

Originally posted by Mezro
                Synths sucked the life right out of it but Dave did have other things on his mind during the sessions..and it was not his music.

Mezro..synths will no destroy my posts
                What is the point to this thread? That the album sucked because he was losing his hair??? WTF? Like hair was ever an inspiration to write good or bad music. Skyscraper sold 2 million albums. So by that, it was a success.
                The over usage of synths on the album, I think, is what hurt his credibility with me. Stand Up, Just Like Paradise and Skyscraper were all geared towards making a new "Jump" song. He might have been looking for a #1 hit with this album, and trying to hard usualy results in a failed attempt at fitting in. What was the copetition at the time? Bon Jovi, Poison, Paula Abdul and Milli Vanilli? What a fucking year that was.
                And BTW I think his hair is good now. When he comes to terms with his style and accepts what he looks like, that's when he's on top and at his best. His next album should be called "it's more than Image, it's Substance" because that's what Dave is. He's beyond trying to "look good", he's entered feeling good and fast approaching fuckin' eh! real soon. So you guys can complain about his hair if you want, but when I listen to his cd's, I hear great music.
                "FUCK YOU, YOU FUCKIN' BITCH! WHO THE FUCK DO YOU THINK YOU ARE ANYWAYS? TALK TO ME LIKE THAT? FUCK YOU. DRAG QUEEN LOOKIN' WHORE- YOU AINT SHIT. YOUR THE FRECKLE TO THE LEFT OF MY BROWN EYE. NOW GO MAKE YOURSELF USEFUL...OH, PUT DAD ON THE PHONE"

Comment

• Mezro
                  Full Member Status

• May 2004

What is the point to this thread? That the album sucked because he was losing his hair??? WTF? Like hair was ever an inspiration to write good or bad music. Skyscraper sold 2 million albums. So by that, it was a success.
                  The over usage of synths on the album, I think, is what hurt his credibility with me. Stand Up, Just Like Paradise and Skyscraper were all geared towards making a new "Jump" song. He might have been looking for a #1 hit with this album, and trying to hard usualy results in a failed attempt at fitting in. What was the copetition at the time? Bon Jovi, Poison, Paula Abdul and Milli Vanilli? What a fucking year that was.
                  And BTW I think his hair is good now. When he comes to terms with his style and accepts what he looks like, that's when he's on top and at his best. His next album should be called "it's more than Image, it's Substance" because that's what Dave is. He's beyond trying to "look good", he's entered feeling good and fast approaching fuckin' eh! real soon. So you guys can complain about his hair if you want, but when I listen to his cd's, I hear great music.
                  BT,

Yes, the point of my post was that his hair loss proved to be a major distraction and it directly impacted the quality/direction of Skyscraper. That's pretty much it. The rest is just good old fashioned entertainment.

Sure, he looks good right now; much better than with that crappy platinum dye job/wig. And I do agree with you that Dave is finally comfortable with his hair.

I don't care what DLR looks like; he could strap gorilla shit, two lactating chickens and Sammy Hagar to his head and I would still be a major fan.

Mezro..just wait until you see my next thread.

Comment

• Mezro
                    Full Member Status

• May 2004

Originally posted by Hollywood Jesus
                    No need to clean up this Mezz...

I believe we may have some insight brewing here.

EEAS was cool except for the Steve Vai perfectionism. On Scraper, our man Dave seemed to hit the perfectionist button pretty hard himself.

That may have been to compensate for hair, may have been to combat VH...who knows. But it did happen. Too many synths, too much forced wit and songs that attempted to be more commercial than rock.

Sorry to say, but it was like Dave was trying to hang onto something more than trying to forge new ground.

Scraper was also the point where I sorely missed Michael Anthony's backing vocals. That point doesn't diminish Dave's vocals; I believe the sweet background vocals merely reinforced Dave's hell-raising, bluesy style.

I wonder: A shaved-bald DLR. Hey it worked for Andre Agassi!
                    FINALLY....it takes Jesus to see the light!

Thank you HJ for understanding where the fuck I was coming from.

In the DLR universe it seems to be a major taboo to talk about Dave's hair. Fuck it..I'm going to do it anyway. I personally don't care what is on his head but a rock star in a wig sure is funny. Hear that Paul Stanley, Bret (I pout my lips at 40) Michaels, Don (I don't move my head much on stage) Dokken and Kevin (rug master) DuBrow!

Mezro..wondering how many forum members sport shitty plugs.

Comment

• Mezro
                      Full Member Status

• May 2004

Hey Sweet Irony, how are you enjoying my first thread? LOL!

Mezro..just scratching the creative surface

Comment

• Full Bug
                        Crazy Ass Mofo
                        • Jan 2004

This must be the 5000'th hair thread, where will it end?
                        Damm funny though.....
                        Diamond Mafia Forever - 4. To restore fullbug to the prominent place in this board, after various serious attacks by hitch1969 have now damaged his reputation and now is reguarded as a "Retarded, Stoned, Canadian, Dog finger bangin' fuckup"

Comment

• Sweet Irony
                          She's the Woman
                          Sniper
                          • Jan 2004

Reading the thread topic, I immediately thought I detected a fair amount of Mezros 'tongue' stuck firmly in Mezros cheek.....

Threads that inspire some discussion and passion are good---and I guess this one is doing that by leaps and bounds...
                          This forum can be challenging when it comes to new ideas and new discussion material----cant blame a guy for trying!

BTW, whatever happened to Daves hair in the past, well.....'hair today (might be) gone tomorrow!??'
                          I remember well that a year ago this month, he looked incredibly great---hair and all!
                          ...livin in the online VH world for 19 years....thanks to a 2 year old.....

Comment

• Mezro
                            Full Member Status

• May 2004

Originally posted by Full Bug
                            This must be the 5000'th hair thread, where will it end?
                            Damm funny though.....
                            FB,

That is about 1000 more hair threads
                            than strands of hair on Dave's head.

Mezro..look at all the Rogaine here tonight.

Comment

• Big Troubles
                              ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                              • Feb 2004

Yes, but is that all you care about, is his hair? I question what the point of the thread is. Do you think his music would suck if he were bald? Maybe a mow-hawk will encourage him to play more punk?
                              where are we all going with this hair thread? Hey, I wonder if we should start a "Dave has a mole on his back, and that's why Diamond Dave cd sucked" thread?
                              "FUCK YOU, YOU FUCKIN' BITCH! WHO THE FUCK DO YOU THINK YOU ARE ANYWAYS? TALK TO ME LIKE THAT? FUCK YOU. DRAG QUEEN LOOKIN' WHORE- YOU AINT SHIT. YOUR THE FRECKLE TO THE LEFT OF MY BROWN EYE. NOW GO MAKE YOURSELF USEFUL...OH, PUT DAD ON THE PHONE"

Comment

• Mezro
                                Full Member Status

• May 2004

Yes, but is that all you care about, is his hair? I question what the point of the thread is. Do you think his music would suck if he were bald? Maybe a mow-hawk will encourage him to play more punk?
                                where are we all going with this hair thread? Hey, I wonder if we should start a "Dave has a mole on his back, and that's why Diamond Dave cd sucked" thread?
                                Nope, that is not all I care about..but am having fun with it in this thread. I told you in my last reply what the point of the thread was.

The guy has had hair problems for half his life and the music (for the most part) has never sucked. I just think Skyscraper would have been better if his hair wasn't on his mind.

Honestly BT, does this thread really bother you? You actually seem upset.

It sucks Dave lost his hair and it would suck even more if we avoided the topic. I'm not one of his paid "yes" men and I can talk about it or anything else that crosses the mighty Mezro mind.

Mezro..it really is nothing personal BT

Comment

Working...