Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Michael Anthony is never mentioned in the bass player community.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Michael Anthony is never mentioned in the bass player community.

We started a new band and as usual, we are a bunch of guitar players. One is a good singer, one plays drums well, but no bass player. I toyed around with bass in the past and know how to finger pick from years of classical guitar lessons. So I ended up the bass player. LOL!

I always maintained someone in my ancestory banged a slave in the woodshed because in many ways I think and groove like a black dude. LOL! So bass is pretty natural so I've been doing lots of research and talking with people and of course all the greats from: Bootsy Collins, Jack Casady, Geddy Lee, John Entwistle, and even John Taylor of Duran Duran come up constantly in conversations and internet posts.

Who never comes up at all is Michael Anthony of Van Halen. Nobody ever says they were influenced by him and even in a thread of the nicest bass players people have met Mike wasn't mentioned. Kind of sad. LOL!

So I stood up for Bass Player and said he indeed was the nicest bass player I ever met which is the truth. LOL!

Rotharmy Gladiator

DG's Slave
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Sorry to say it and join said bandwagon but you know (as a fellow musician) his bass lines were always less than climactic. Regardless, it will never diminish nor take away the FACT that his role in VH was a perfect fit.

Again and I'll reiterate what you've posted as the title of the thread... Just look at the RNRHOF (even though we all know what a fucking joke it is) closing thingy... They didn't even give the dude a bass to play during the finale. They just stuck him in the back row, let him play a tambourine and let him be happy with it.

It's like this...

RNRHOF: Here, go slap on this tambourine.

MA: I play bass.

RNRHOF: Eh, shutup and pick up all the friggin' batons when the show's over...

What I'm sayin' 'tis his fills were fine for VH but as a bassplayer, there was never anything spectacular. Nice guy or not.

Sorry but it's the truth. The only noteworthy thing about his bassplaying history is the Jack Daniels bass and that's about it. Fuck, his live solos were terrible and a total filler. Seriously, stomping on the bass, playing the theme to Bonanza and shootin' Jack does not a live solo make.
    EAT US AND SMILE!!!!

Bring on the Girls!
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    All of the bass players I know laugh when the name Michael Anthony comes up. I think he had a great backing vocal, but not a great musician, and probably not the perfect fit.
    I think the Van Halen fans base would have been bigger if they had better bass in the music. For the most part, VH fans are guitar players. They had a few songs that the average person on the street could name, but its all guitar rock. If there was more music there, VH would have had more success.
    Last edited by Fuct Jup; 07-13-2007 at 08:41 AM.
    Anything left in that bottle?

Rotharmy Gladiator

DG's Slave
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by Fuct Jup
    All of the bass players I know laugh when the name Michael Anthony comes up. I think he had a great backing vocal, but not a great musician, and probably not the perfect fit.
    I think the Van Halen fans base would have been a lit bigger if they had better bass. For the most part, VH fans are guitar players. They had a few songs that the average person on the street could name, but its guitar rock. If there was more music there VH would have had more success.
    Sorry but I disagree cos MA's a great musician IMO, just not any virtuoso, which was also fine in VH. Having a Billy Sheehan or a Jeff Berlin would've been overkill. MA was great in his role. Regardless, he's definitely the most replacable member of the core four. I know certain fuckbrained sheep will disagree regarding the certain commercial SUCKcess they had replacing Roth when he bailed... However, that's a different story cos the entire vibe and sound of the band changed. It was no longer Van Halen.

That's why I KNOW they'll sound BEYOND stellar with Wolfgang or (insert any other bassplayer) henceforth. Sure, the backing vox are still a mystery but at the end of the day, only the folks queer for Haganthony will shive a shit when DLR, EVH and EVH tear through Unchained and the likes.

I think about seein' The Punks, how their bassplayer (Joe) lacks the MA bitchsqueal backing vox as well and yet nobody seems to gives a rat's ass. Yet, the same cumstains say how the Punks sound more like CVH than this tour will? Go fucking figure?

Plus, it doesn't help MA's case that his prick has been permanantly stuck up Hagar's fatass since 1986. One can only imagine how painful that was for MA to do that tour with Cherone and no Spamella? Seriously, that 2004 Velveetapalooza flop... MA did it for the "fans" my ass. He did it so he could be side by side with his "other half" and YES pun fucking intended!!! The jaws of life obviously can't pry those two reddi whip loving, cheddar balladeers apart.

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Fuck, that pic is GAY.
    =V V=
    ole No.1 The finest
    EAT US AND SMILE

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I'm still a fan of Mike's playing. He played with a lot of feeling and soul.

Drummers don't talk about Alex either and he's great.
    Last edited by Hummarstra; 07-13-2007 at 10:27 AM.

Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    It's kinda hard to see the talent in VH, when you had Ed on stage everynight right next to you. It was very easy For Dave, becaue he was the singer, doing his thing and being the great frontman that he is. When it came to Al and MA, i would say, Al is a truly gifted drummer, that is a notch behind some of the really greats. MA on the other hand is just a straight forward steady player. His contributions to anything CVH, is his backing vocals, that avctually had him singing the highs and alot of the time, Ed singing in the low parts.

Everyone seems to over look that the backing vocals were Ed and MA, so with him gone, we still have 50% of those backing vocals, throw in wofgang and if the kid has a high range, i don't think there will be much of a differance.

MA is just a steady player, nothing more, who ended up in one of the greatest bands on the planet.

Bring on the Girls!
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    :confused:
    Last edited by Fuct Jup; 07-13-2007 at 11:53 AM.

Bring on the Girls!
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by MAX
    Sorry but I disagree cos MA's a great musician IMO, just not any virtuoso, which was also fine in VH. Having a Billy Sheehan or a Jeff Berlin would've been overkill. MA was great in his role. Regardless, he's definitely the most replacable member of the core four. I know certain fuckbrained sheep will disagree regarding the certain commercial SUCKcess they had replacing Roth when he bailed... However, that's a different story cos the entire vibe and sound of the band changed. It was no longer Van Halen.
    I think MA is average talent wise, his greatest contribution was the backing vocals. I think the reason DLR had such great success with EEAS was because of Sheehan, because Vai was as good as, if not better in someways, than Ed. It wasn't just a guitarist's band, it was a whole band of great musicians. And from what I have read, it seems that MA wasn't a great contributor in the writing department.
    Last edited by Fuct Jup; 07-13-2007 at 11:55 AM.

Dog Killer
    Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Poor MA.........nobody respect him

I would not care been called an less than average bass player while I'm having fun in a group........that also happens to be a real great group, pays me well ang bring me a lot of girls.
    Maybe I would be also on my "confort zone" while playing because the rest of the group is so grate that I don't need to prove I can play to get the things mentioned before........and also those other guys are my friends.
    Bastardog

Dog Killer
    Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    that could be the case

Rotharmy Gladiator

DG's Slave
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by Hummarstra
    I'm still a fan of Mike's playing. He played with a lot of feeling and soul.
    Agreed 1000%!!! MA's a decent enough player, just nothing to write home about. However, he filled his role within the band perfectly. It's just these fucking maroooooons overglorifying both his importance and overall role within VH that gives me a collective tummyache. Seriously, my dick can play RWTD, ATBL, etc. or fucking ANY of the classics on bass whilst I'm asleep. Yet these windbags say the kid "can't" do it? Seriously, I don't even play bass as my primary but it only takes a cupla runthroughs on any given VH tune on bass. No joke.

Drummers don't talk about Alex either and he's great.
    Not true. I've played with several drummers over the years, none of them have cited AVH as an influence per say. However, they've all complimented his drumming. I'm not saying that's the norm but AVH is a stellar drummer.
    Last edited by MAX; 07-13-2007 at 11:59 AM.

Rotharmy Gladiator

DG's Slave
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by Vinnie Velvet
    Fuck, that pic is GAY.
    You think? lol :p

Roadie
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Mike's always overshadowed by Eddie's guitar playing. He was still perfect for CVH.

Gene Simmons is never mentioned as a great bass player, but where would Kiss be without him?

Pasadena Pest Control
    Roadie
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    because he sucks

Rotharmy Gladiator

DG's Slave
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by lonnieg5
    Mike's always overshadowed by Eddie's guitar playing. He was still perfect for CVH.

Gene Simmons is never mentioned as a great bass player, but where would Kiss be without him?
    That's completely different cos KI$$'s MAIN gig was about image. I'll admit, some of KI$$'s work 'tis vastly underrated (musically) but dude? I'll give credit where credit's due and MA can play circles around $immon$. Gene has some cool bass licks but give me a break, he's no fucking epic bassist. Every song he plays is with a pick and that (to me) does NOT define an even mediocre bassist.

Pasadena Pest Control
    Roadie
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    not sure if he was plugged in

Roadie
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Hi MAX. I agree about the image part, but CVH had the same "magic" that Kiss had. Very few bands have that and musicianship has nothing really to do with it. That's why adding a virtuoso bass player to VH won't make them better, it'll kill the magic. It's just a chemistry between the payers that happens when all the planets line up. Van Halen took it one step further with Eddie's stellar playing.

Head Fluffer

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Speaking of the God of Thunder did anyone see the Gene Simmons show on A and E when he visited the soldiers in the hospital. Very cool.

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I am a BASS player, and yeah, I never really thought much of VH for the Bass lines. To me it was Harris, Lee, Sheehan, Jaco, Hamm, Bootsy, Flea, Pinnick, Les, John Paul Jones, Jamerson, Ben Shepherd, Lemmy, Butler, Burton, Prestia, Clarke, etc etc.....and then all music and musicians in general....

Mike, was ok and was in the band, and I have defended him before, but especially when I listen now, it was what it was....Mike was solid, and that's the most important part of being in a band, the lines on fari warning are kool(but the rumor is Ed is on that one), I think Ed might have been a pain to work with for mike, DO AS I SAY!!!

the flashy players will always be the ones who influence people....

Mike never had the basic real groove digging into the Bass to at least give him a personality, and I think that's what it is for me with him, no personality on Bass like all of those lame 80's bass players...

Use your fingers, dig in, and sing with it, I say....

but hey, Mike was in VH, and you can't take that away......so obivously he was influence on me, if you listen to something long enough, it influences you one way or another....
    Last edited by DLR'sCock; 07-13-2007 at 01:10 PM.

Rotharmy Gladiator

DG's Slave
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by DLR'sCock
    I am a BASS player, and yeah, I never really thought much of VH for the Bass lines. To me it was Harris, Lee, Sheehan, Jaco, Hamm, Bootsy, Flea, Pinnick, Les, John Paul Jones, Jamerson, Ben Shepherd, Lemmy, Butler, Burton, Prestia, Clarke, etc etc.....and then all music and musicians in general....

Mike, was ok and was in the band, and I have defended him before, but especially when I listen now, it was what it was....Mike was solid, and that's the most important part of being in a band, the lines on fari warning are kool(but the rumor is Ed is on that one), I think Ed might have been a pain to work with for mike, DO AS I SAY!!!

the flashy players will always be the ones who influence people....

Mike never had the basic real groove digging into the Bass to at least give him a personality, and I think that's what it is for me with him, no personality on Bass like all of those lame 80's bass players...

Use your fingers, dig in, and sing with it, I say....

but hey, Mike was in VH, and you can't take that away......so obivously he was influence on me, if you listen to something long enough, it influences you one way or another....
    Epic post and sums up everything perfectly!!!

How the hell are ya?!?!?!?!?!

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Good Max, all is well,, playing a gig here in Joisey tonight, how are you bro? Freaking Rush was amazing last week as always and I am going to see Tool on Wed!

Waylon F'N Jennings
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Y'know, if Mike didn't play simple lines with CVH, maybe some of Ed's parts would have been somewhat obscured.

Ed essentially said the same thing himself many years ago.

Mike was the perfect bassist for Van Halen. Edward Van Halen is an idiot for excluding him from the (apparently) upcoming tour.
    Waylon Jennings: 1937-2002. RIP, Hoss!

Banned
    THE GRATEST™
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by MAX

That's why I KNOW they'll sound BEYOND stellar with Wolfgang or (insert any other bassplayer) henceforth. Sure, the backing vox are still a mystery but at the end of the day, only the folks queer for Haganthony will shive a shit when DLR, EVH and EVH tear through Unchained and the likes.

I think about seein' The Punks, how their bassplayer (Joe) lacks the MA bitchsqueal backing vox as well and yet nobody seems to gives a rat's ass. Yet, the same cumstains say how the Punks sound more like CVH than this tour will? Go fucking figure?

Plus, it doesn't help MA's case that his prick has been permanantly stuck up Hagar's fatass since 1986. One can only imagine how painful that was for MA to do that tour with Cherone and no Spamella? Seriously, that 2004 Velveetapalooza flop... MA did it for the "fans" my ass. He did it so he could be side by side with his "other half" and YES pun fucking intended!!! The jaws of life obviously can't pry those two reddi whip loving, cheddar balladeers apart.

hahah

is that a popgear ?

or a POPQUEER ??

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    The guy that comes up constantly as an underated guitar player is John Taylor of Duran Duran fame. Everyone digs his bass lines in the early Duran songs like Rio.

It was a boy band that the girls wanted to run off with their cocks and guys typically hated in the day but hey, those guys could play. They were musicians. Unlike the Backdoor whatever they are peddling these days.
    No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Underated bass player. Whoops! But hey Andy Taylor had some chops.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by MAX

The cruise ship sank and Bassplayer and Sam swam to a nearby deserted island and existed madly in love with each other. I just thank God gay couples can't have offspring.

Full On Cocktard

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I think the best representation of bassplayers playing is on the covers the band did before they were signed. He was able to copy many different styles and I don't really here him screw up.

He also was able to copy Eddie's bass parts from VH3 since he never played on that album. On some of the songs, Eddie was moving around pretty good.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by Nitro Express
    The cruise ship sank and Bassplayer and Sam swam to a nearby deserted island and existed madly in love with each other. I just thank God gay couples can't have offspring.
    Well, what if they use a turkey-baster?

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Bassplayer community? Sorry, but LOL...

Pasadena Pest Control
    Roadie
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    If it wasn't for David Lee Roth fats anthony wouldn't have even made it to men without hats level

Proud Ford Owner
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    lol!!!!^

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    International Playboy
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Cool

Originally posted by MUSICMANN
    Everyone seems to over look that the backing vocals were Ed and MA, so with him gone, we still have 50% of those backing vocals...
    I'm thinking with cancer, cigs, and Heineken, we're closer to 25% of the backing vocals.... uh huh uh uhuhhuh

That is all.

Icon.
    An Icon©®™Incorporated/GODDAM BUCK-KNIFE JACKBOOT MOTHERFUCK©®™ Production.
    hitchWORLD1969.com© and Old Boy Club© Co-Founder, Investor, and Spiritual Leader 1996-2024©™®

E.U.A.S. - "The Feng Shui in the House That Roth Built!"

R.I.P. - Douglas Hitchens, Jr. aka Hitch1969 aka Supermodel Doug et al... 1-23-2017

"It is possible to OverGap©®™" - Sesh©®™, 5-8-2013

"A reacharound doesn't need to be gay." - Sesh©®™, 1-18-2012

"If we are going to have ex mods posting cocks can they at least be a manageable size." - Sesh©®™, 8-24-2011

"For the love of jive, have a waborita and chill out." - Hitchman©®™, 5-18-2004

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Can somebody from the Bass community please
    give me the TAB's for the intro to "Runnin with the Devil"

I just cant get it happening..

BABY PANA 2 IS Coming !! All across the land, let the love and beer flow !
    Love ya Mary Frances!

Rotharmy Gladiator

DG's Slave
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by Panamark

LMAO!!!

Stop it Marky, that's a tough song on bass. Regardless how high up it is on the difficulty level, you gotta spot talent where talent 'tis. MA could actually play the opening with his friggin' teeth. Can you believe that shit? A nearly impossible bassline and that motherfucker can play it with his TEETH!!! I don't care who you are cos that's both talent and a bass virtuoso right there.

With all of that being said, I'm starting to really have my doubts about whether Wolfgang can pull that one off? Pluckin' that E string's next to impossible for any bassplayer and at any level. Yet again, MA could play it with his teeth!!!

I'm in awe of his bassplaying and always have been. Especially those solos where he threw his bass on the ground and then proceded to jump on it. Eat your heart out Pastorious, Sheehan, Lee, etc...

WOW!!!
    Last edited by MAX; 07-14-2007 at 04:39 AM.

Rotharmy Gladiator

DG's Slave
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    A tribute...

Somebody Get Me a Mullet!!!

I guess this is where he farts out the intro to RWTD, no?

WTF?!?!?!?!?

As for the rest, I really don't wanna know...

K, that's enough...

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by Panamark

You should sign up for the Carnival Bass Community cruise. I'm sure someone on the boat will have the tab. LOL!

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by MAX
    A tribute...

Somebody Get Me a Mullet!!!

I guess this is where he farts out the intro to RWTD, no?

WTF?!?!?!?!?

As for the rest, I really don't wanna know...

K, that's enough...
    God. I think you just discovered why both of them are barred from 5150. Alex walked in the bathroom and Sam and Mike were heavy into a tub of Vaseline.

Rotharmy Gladiator

DG's Slave
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by Nitro Express
    God. I think you just discovered why both of them are barred from 5150. Alex walked in the bathroom and Sam and Mike were heavy into a tub of Vaseline.
    It's both amazing and totally makes my point when I Googled "Michael Anthony" and these were the pics that came up. Seriously, there were hardly ANY of Van Halen.

Now, certain people are going to "boycott" this tour cos of this guy's absence? Please...

Rotharmy Gladiator

DG's Slave
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    As long as I'm being completely tasteless and terrible...

Fuck, I've gone this far so I'd better not bail out now...

I just stumbled upon this during the MA Google search.

Fine, I'm going to hell but I just can't resist.

Fuck, I'm terrible.

Thread Information