04-11-2008 @ 02:07 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quinn is In

Quinn ends holdout, signs 5-year deal with Browns

By JOE MILICIA, Associated Press Writer

August 7, 2007

BEREA, Ohio (AP)
    -- Brady Quinn has some catching up to do.

The quarterback signed a five-year contract Tuesday night with the Cleveland Browns, ending an 11-day holdout that essentially eliminated his chances to begin the season as the team's starter.

After agreeing to terms, Quinn flew in from Arizona, where he had been working out, and signed his first pro contract shortly after arriving at the Browns' training facility. He's scheduled to appear at a morning news conference on Wednesday before practicing for the first time this summer with his teammates.

He missed 16 practices during his holdout.

Browns coach Romeo Crennel noted that Quinn looked lost when he practiced with the team in May and has a long way to go.

"He'll get here early and he'll stay late. I know if you put those kind of hours in and study, you'll have a chance. Plus, I believe he's a smart kid also -- on reports by some people I know," a grinning Crennel said, referring to Notre Dame coach Charlie Weis. The two worked together as assistants with the New England Patriots.

The deal, worth $20.2 million, with $7.75 million guaranteed, could reach $30 million over five years with incentives.

The deal was first reported by Foxsports.com.

Quinn's absence has all but ensured he will not win the Browns' starting job, which has become a two-man contest between Charlie Frye and Derek Anderson.

"It's unfortunate that it took this long to get done," Savage said. "I feel like it's a deal that we potentially could have done at the start of camp."

Quinn, a four-year starter at Notre Dame, was projected as a top 10 pick in April's draft. When he slipped deeper into the first round, the Browns traded a 2008 first-round pick to Dallas and selected the Ohio native and childhood Browns fan at No. 22.

During Quinn's holdout, Crennel coldly referred to him as "the quarterback" and not by name. He continued to refer to him that way Tuesday.

"We're going to put him at the bottom of the chart and see where he is," Crennel said. "We'll let him compete, but I'm not putting him on the first team tomorrow."

The Browns have only two practices before their first preseason game Saturday at home against the Kansas City Chiefs.

"Maybe in the fourth quarter we might want to give him a snap," Crennel said.

Rookie offensive tackle Joe Thomas said he's looking forward to Quinn competing and pushing the other quarterbacks. He doubted Quinn's holdout would be an issue with his teammates.

"I don't think it's something that guys will hold against him as long as he comes in here and works hard," Thomas said.

The major sticking points in negotiations between the Browns and agent Tom Condon were escalator clauses based on playing time for Quinn.

Condon proposed allowing Quinn to get a $5 million increase in the final two years of a potential five-year deal if he takes 55 percent of the snaps in any two of the first three years or 70 percent in any one of the first three. The Browns wanted to make the triggers tougher to reach.

Quinn was seeking $8 million in guaranteed money, roughly the same amount that the No. 20 pick, cornerback Aaron Ross, got from the New York Giants.

Savage expressed frustration with negotiations and talks intensified over the weekend. The two sides were only $500,000 apart in guaranteed money as of Monday. They basically split the difference in arriving at $7.75 million guaranteed.

Savage said Quinn's intelligence and work ethic are two traits that the Browns liked about the quarterback. He said those traits will serve him well over the coming days.

"I don't think he'll be getting a lot of sleep over the next few weeks trying to catch up," Savage said.

Oakland quarterback JaMarcus Russell (No. 1 overall) and New York Jets cornerback Darrelle Revis (No. 14) are the only first-round picks without contracts. ^Notes: Guard Eric Steinbach, the team's top free-agent acquisition, left practice after he fell on his right knee. He walked off the field with a trainer and did not return. "I would say he bruised it," Crennel said. "That's what I would say because we didn't have pads on inside and we were on the turf and he came down on the knee." The Browns signed Steinbach to a seven-year, $49.5 million contract in March.

AP Sports Writer Tom Withers in Cleveland contributed to this report.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

king of cool
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    04-06-2018 @ 02:53 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Greedy prick.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Fear the Elf
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    08-29-2021 @ 06:13 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I'm sorta happy he was greedy auctually....I don't want to see him starting the first game..I WANT to see him with a Clipboard for the first 8 AT LEAST..We all know what happened to the "other" QB drafted in the first round a few years ago and got thrown into the fire a little too soon

the juggernaut bitch
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    10-04-2021 @ 11:47 PM
    Status
    Thanks

he will be a bust. Clevland is a QB killer, along with detroit.

Fear the Elf
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by Redballjets88
    he will be a bust. Clevland is a QB killer, along with detroit.
    Yeah they Really Ruined Bernie Kosar and Brian Sipe's career..

oh and at least spell our NAME fucking right...

Thank you.

the juggernaut bitch
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

dude don't fool yourself your dad wasn't even alive last time the browns were a legitimate contender.

I'm just glad the cowboys traded their 1st round pick to them. We will have a top 5 pick next year because the Browns suck balls.

Fear the Elf
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

dude don't fool yourself your dad wasn't even alive last time the browns were a legitimate contender.

I'm just glad the cowboys traded their 1st round pick to them. We will have a top 5 pick next year because the Browns suck balls.

The Browns Were a Contender in 1980, 1985, 1986, 1987, 1989..They one AFC Central title during that time...My dads been alive since 1959..soo, He's defintly been around when the browns were Contenders.

Oh..and use that other Draft pick for a QB..lord knows you need it, After having Tony Romo in at QB..

Speaking of which...when were the last time The Cowboys were Contender? 1999?

I Rest my case.

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-28-2024 @ 09:22 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,517 Times in 2,422 Posts

Here kitty kitty....

Sept. 9th baby.....

Fear the Elf
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
    Here kitty kitty....

Sept. 9th baby.....
    I'm excited Va. ...I hope we have a better showing this year..We did put a little fight last year...Had you guys on the run until the last few minutes..Should be entertaining to watch.

the juggernaut bitch
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by Unchainme
    The Browns Were a Contender in 1980, 1985, 1986, 1987, 1989..They one AFC Central title during that time...My dads been alive since 1959..soo, He's defintly been around when the browns were Contenders.

Oh..and use that other Draft pick for a QB..lord knows you need it, After having Tony Romo in at QB..

Speaking of which...when were the last time The Cowboys were Contender? 1999?

I Rest my case.
    i guess you have the meaning of the word legitimate wrong. Winning your conference 1 time in the past half century means you suck. If they weren't so shitty the NFL would have gotten rid of them then brought them back. Tony Romo is better than any QB the browns have had in the past 15 years.

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    02-19-2019 @ 10:38 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Charlie Frye might turn out to be a good QB. It takes time to mature and he has shown some flashes. Who knows?

Fear the Elf
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

i guess you have the meaning of the word legitimate wrong. Winning your conference 1 time in the past half century means you suck. If they weren't so shitty the NFL would have gotten rid of them then brought them back. Tony Romo is better than any QB the browns have had in the past 15 years.
    ..and is any of that our Fault?

We didn't have a team for FOUR YEARS...And the NFL screwed us so many time it's not even funny..Our Coaches ignored our O-Line for the 8 years we've been, We just now got a legit one..

I sugguest you read this...Before Assuming every little thing..

http://www.amazon.com/False-Start-Br.../dp/1886228884

And yes the Cowboys won't be winning the NFL Title this Year...T.O. is a cancer and Tony Romo isn't a Prime Time QB.

the juggernaut bitch
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

we will do better. Since the AFL NFL merger the browns have only been to the playoffs 14 times. The cowboys have only missed 13

the juggernaut bitch
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by Unchainme
    ..and is any of that our Fault?

We didn't have a team for FOUR YEARS...And the NFL screwed us so many time it's not even funny..Our Coaches ignored our O-Line for the 8 years we've been, We just now got a legit one..

I sugguest you read this...Before Assuming every little thing..

http://www.amazon.com/False-Start-Br.../dp/1886228884

And yes the Cowboys won't be winning the NFL Title this Year...T.O. is a cancer and Tony Romo isn't a Prime Time QB.
    you can say that because statistically there is a better chance for the cowboys to not go to the superbowl than not. Some sports writers are putting the cowboys there though. No one on earth would pick the browns.

Fear the Elf
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

you can say that because statistically there is a better chance for the cowboys to not go to the superbowl than not. Some sports writers are putting the cowboys there though. No one on earth would pick the browns.
    Because we're in rebuilding mode? In Two Years though...We will be.

And anyone who is picking the Cowboys in the super bowl is a fool...pure and simple...They've done Very little to prove to me they're contenders.

the juggernaut bitch
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

or the fact that they have one of the best defences and wr corps in the NFL going through a weak NFC. but whatever. The cowboys will win 2 more superbowls before the Brown even get to an AFC championship game.

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Browns playing in a lot tougher division than Dallas.

WAAAAAAYYYYY tougher.

the juggernaut bitch
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

now but not historically. plus they would get their shit rocked in any division.

Atomic Jerk
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    09-12-2020 @ 06:51 AM
    Status
    Thanks

god I can't wait to see the black and gold footprints all over brady's face.

roy who?
    Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-08-2011 @ 03:37 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Watching Brady meltdown at the draft still has to be one of the funniest fucking things I have ever watched.....Hope he handles NFL blitzes with a little more composure

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I'd like to see DEs and DTs with those dark visors on their helmets wipe him off like a bug on a windshield after them mow him under the turf on after an all-out old Monsters of the Midway, Doomsday Defense, Steel Curtain, Orange Crush, Purple People Eater, No-Name Defense type jailbreak blitz.

Thread Information