Thread: The BCE is after PEARL JAM now!!

Professional Smartass
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-05-2021 @ 07:55 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,578 Times in 878 Posts

Wink The BCE is after PEARL JAM now!!

http://news.com.com/ATT+censors+Pear...3-6201759.html

AT&T censors Pearl Jam's anti-Bush lyrics
    Bleeping during Lollapalooza cybercast prompts outcry; company says it was "a mistake by a Webcast vendor."
    By Reuters

Published: August 9, 2007, 11:18 AM PDT

Pearl Jam fans and Internet watchdogs were up in arms Thursday after it was revealed that AT&T censored portions of the rock band's live concert cybercast on Sunday.

While performing "Daughter" during the annual Lollapalooza festival in Chicago, Pearl Jam segued into a portion of Pink Floyd's "Another Brick in the Wall," during which frontman Eddie Vedder sang, "George Bush, leave this world alone" and "George Bush, find yourself another home." Those lyrics were missing from the broadcast.

Vedder also railed against oil giant BP during the set, and later, brought a disabled Iraq War veteran onstage to call for an end to the conflict. Neither of these segments was edited.

In a statement, AT&T attributed the bleeping to "a mistake by a Webcast vendor" that was "contrary to our policy. We have policies in place with respect to editing excessive profanity, but AT&T does not censor performances. We very much regret that this happened in the first place."

The company also said it was "working with the band to post the song in its entirety," a sentiment echoed by Pearl Jam on its official Web site. "In the future, we will work even harder to ensure that our live broadcasts or Webcasts are free from arbitrary edits," read a statement on PearlJam.com.

The incident has generated hundreds of posts on the band's Web forum as well as a response from the Future of Music Coalition, a strong advocate for laws that ensure free speech online.

"This event shows that companies like AT&T will risk the appearance of censorship by turning off the sound on a Webcast that's being viewed by thousands of people, just because it works counter to their financial interests," said FOMC executive director Jenny Toomey. "What do you think they will do to protect their financial interests on the Web when no one is looking?"

Story Copyright © 2007 Reuters Limited. All rights reserved.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:40 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,561 Times in 3,449 Posts

Pearl Jam rules...

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/XLJ7C6-bYKg"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/XLJ7C6-bYKg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

BTW, AT&T is one of the biggest bend-overers for the Bush Admin. illegal domestic spying program...

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/04/17/op...syahoo&emc=rss

ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    09-21-2010 @ 09:03 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Well, I read the first line and I am going to state this without reading the rest...

I cancelled my home phone cause AT&T can EAT ME. I have had Cigular for 4 years or so .No land line.

So what was it... about two months ago AT&T now ownes Cingular Cell.

I have more dropped calls and sometimes the phone just shuts down.

My messages come five hours later than the time posted.

I will go back and finish the post, but Fukk AT&T.
    -------------
    but AT&T does not censor performances. We very much regret that this happened in the first place."
    ---------------

Well after finishing... it seems they do like cencoring free speech and then after the deed is done, apologizing about the fact that they don't censor free speech a, easy out legally. (we made a boo bo sorry).

Last edited by thome; 08-09-2007 at 07:03 PM.

Atomic Jerk
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    09-12-2020 @ 06:51 AM
    Status
    Thanks

I'd love to hear the story behind this executive decision. I'd like to know the guy's name who thinks we live in a fascist dictatorship already. Fucking scumbag. It's just the principle of the thing.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by thome
    Well, I read the first line and I am going to state this without reading the rest...

I cancelled my home phone cause AT&T can EAT ME. I have had Cigular for 4 years or so .No land line.

So what was it... about two months ago AT&T now owns Cingular Cell.

I have more dropped calls and sometimes the phone just shuts down.

My messages come five hours later than the time posted.

I will go back and finish the post, but Fukk AT&T.
    -------------
    but AT&T does not censor performances. We very much regret that this happened in the first place."
    ---------------

Well after finishing... it seems they do like cencoring free speech and then after the deed is done, apologizing about the fact that they don't censor free speech a, easy out legally. (we made a boo bo sorry).
    Unfortunately, I just signed a cuntract with Cingular before they went over to the dark side...

And you might try a new phone. I was have a lot of dropped calls and was at the point I couldn't even make certain calls. The older phones have a narrower frequency width which can prevent you from finding an open wave///
    Last edited by Nickdfresh; 08-09-2007 at 07:28 PM.

ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    09-21-2010 @ 09:03 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
    Unfortunately, I just signed a cuntract with Cingular before they went over to the dark side...

And you might try a new phone. I was have a lot of dropped calls and was at the point I couldn't even make certain calls. The older phones have a narrower frequency width which can prevent you from finding an open wave///
    I did update two years ago top of the line Motorola, just like about a couple months before the Razor phone came out .I took it back once to see about updating again and Dude said, these are one of the best.

It's a flip phone. I keep in the leather covers.It is my first flip. I always figured the joint was a weakness in the connection of the flip phones.I think if I move my head it tweeks the connection and the phone thinks I have hung up..?(dropped call)..?

Even though Dude said keep the phone it's better than some of the new ones you are more than likely correct about it is still out of date.

On trac with Pearl Jam they were one of the few 90's bands out of the Seattle sound I dug.

I was happy to hear last year they were back in the studio .

Plus I have never had a problem with the way some bands are of a
    -Political Way- with thier music .

I did have a prob with the way the Dixie Chicks went about it.

Sometimes, deep inside, I feel some of these cats(bands) are just using people and situations like Jeraldo uses buzzwords.

To make a buck.

Anyone who even knows Pearl Jam knows they swing with a political message in some of thier music .

Also that the message is straight forward not always worked in lyrical metaphors.

One reason I dug rage Against The Machine.

AT&T must have known these things..?

®oth A®my f®an©hise ?laya
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    05-18-2011 @ 11:33 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Originally posted by Nickdfresh Pearl Jam rules..
    Except for their drummer, are they still the original lineup?

Seattle band & censorship- wonder what Ford's response is to this.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:31 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,281 Times in 4,711 Posts

Yeah, Pearl Jam is still the same four guys: Vedder, Gossard, McCready, and Ament, plus Matt Cameron on drums. It's been their most stable lineup so far, and will probably remain so unless Soundgarden gets back together, in which case they'll probably have to go drummer shopping again.

As far as this fascist ass censorship goes, does anybody really believe that the "seven second delay" now common in any kind of broadcasting was really designed just to stop four letter words??

Try looking for Melissa Etheridge's performance from Live Earth recently??

The corporatists hate it when the truth is spoken, especially in a loud voice. A lot of her fans are politically active, as are a lot of Pearl Jam fans. And those newer fans who aren't yet into the activism could be prompted to join in, if they hear Eddie or Melissa or whomever speaking their mind.

God bless em both!

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/bDfnCVDBTUA"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/bDfnCVDBTUA" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-07-2018 @ 10:31 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I agree, they shouldn't have muted those words. There still is free speach in this country.

It would have been good if they let it go thru anyway so Pearl Jam could be the next Dixie Chicks.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by TongueNGroove
    I agree, they shouldn't have muted those words. There still is free speach in this country.

It would have been good if they let it go thru anyway so Pearl Jam could be the next Dixie Chicks.
    Not likely.....

What happened to the Dixie Chicks was fucking criminal, but it was possible because country music is tightly controlled on two levels: 1) The Nashville "establishment" 2) Clear Channel domination of Country radio.

Both are insanely right wing and close minded.

Pearl Jam has always taken stands against corporatist greed (i.e. Ticketbastard) and didn't show a lot of love for the record industry, even when they were signed to Sony. Now that they're an indie band, and release their own albums, they aren't about to be censored except by those who probably wouldn't play - or buy - their music in the first place.

Head Fluffer

Member No
    Last Online
    04-10-2008 @ 11:09 PM
    Status
    Thanks

You have to respect Pearl Jam. These are the guys who truly care about the fans when they decided to fight ticketmaster and their monopoly. They also released all their lives shows from one tour and at a cheap price, so fans don't have to pay high prices for bottleggers and crappy sound. The 4 original band members are still part of the band and the current lineup has been together for a while and they still release great albums. How many albums have Pearl Jam released in the last 10 years compared to VH?

Then there is VH. They have not released a studio album in 9 years. They still have not released a live album with David Lee Roth. They have released 2 greatest hits package which we need to buy because they have extra songs(Yes, I know the 2nd package only had new Hagar songs, but those fans were getting ripped off as well). Now we finally get DLR and now they replace MA with his 16 year old son. If he had replaced MA with any other bass player but his son he could have some credibility. I just hope these guys sound great on the tour and they finally realease the long awaited album with DLR.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by FORD
    Not likely.....

What happened to the Dixie Chicks was fucking criminal, but it was possible because country music is tightly controlled on two levels: 1) The Nashville "establishment" 2) Clear Channel domination of Country radio.

Both are insanely right wing and close minded.

Pearl Jam has always taken stands against corporatist greed (i.e. Ticketbastard) and didn't show a lot of love for the record industry, even when they were signed to Sony. Now that they're an indie band, and release their own albums, they aren't about to be censored except by those who probably wouldn't play - or buy - their music in the first place.
    Dude, Pearl Jam was "Dixie Chick'd" when they went up against Ticket-slave-master...

They did irreparable damage to their careers commercially by either not touring, or playing at strange venues in farm fields. They've suffered commercially even more so than the Dixie Chicks did...

I respect them for "fighting the good fight," & I'm not sure they cared that much about being a super group anyways. But I think they could have been on the level of say the Stones if they had settled with TM...
    Last edited by Nickdfresh; 08-10-2007 at 02:49 PM.

Thread Information