X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ellyllions
    Veteran
    • Mar 2006

Teens and drugs

I was fortunate enough to spend the whole day out with my 17 year old son yesterday. It was a good day. He's got a job, a girlfriend, and going into his senior year in high school; so naturally my time with him is minimal. Conversations have never been a problem for us as I've always kept an open mind with him and tried not to judge him and let him make decisions with as much candor as I can muster.

We had a very interesting conversation in reference to drugs that surprised me enough to want to tell other parents about it.

I had no idea how prevalent cocaine was amongst teens. I went into the conversation thinking that he'd say pot, ecstatsy, maybe even meth. But that wasn't the information I got at all. Well, not entirely anyway.

According to him, pot is so commonplace that he (and most of the teens he knows) believes that the teachers know that most kids smoke it on the school grounds. He told me that he's seen teachers watching or even walking by kids with lit joints in their hands and chose not to do anything about it.

But the drug that is the most prevalent on his school campus is cocaine. That shocked me because cocaine is so expensive. But according to him, if a kid at his school is doing anything it's most likely cocaine.

Yeah, I'm writing the school aministration about it, but I'm waiting until he graduates. Why? Well, in this school system the kids who have parents who try to make a difference are the ones who are punished, made examples of, interrogated, and ostracised. No joke. I had an issue a while back and had a Principal say to me, "If I punish these kids for this, they get nothing more than some extra time on the street. However, if I punish your child, you'll actually teach him something."
    "If our country is worth dying for in time of war let us resolve that it is truly worth living for in time of peace." - Hamilton Fish
  • binnie
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • May 2006

Cocaine is expensive, how the hell do they afford it? I'm guessing that those who are doing it aren't doing it everyday because of the sheer expense (if that's any consolation.)

I expect most teens to come into contact with pot, it's as normal as driking alcohol - but AT SCHOOL?? No fucking way, we used to get into major trouble for smoking cigarrettes - hell, we used to get detention for un-tucking the shirts from our trousers (had to wear a unifrom at my school until you were 16).

It's great that you can talk to your son about things like this Elly - I had. have a similar kind of relationship with my Mum and wouldn't change it for the world.
    The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• Hardrock69
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Feb 2005

Back in 1973 kids in my junior high school were smoking pot at recess. I myself did not begin until I was 16. Only a month or so before I decided to become a rock musician.

I am personally not into chemicals like coke, pills, meth, etc. I tried a few things back in the day (coke being the most common), but I do not have any addictions, and realized soon that it is not worth what it costs in dollars, and of course if you get addicted to it and it fucks your life up, then it TRULY is not worth it.

I knew kids who were dealing pounds of pot through their bedroom window when they were 12.

Comment

• Ellyllions
        Veteran
        • Mar 2006

And what's puzzling me is that he doesn't go to a school that's full of wealthy kids. This is a public school in a poor to middle class area. Most of the kids there are at the same social level. So I have no idea how they're affording to be cocaine users.

I know how the girls are getting it. He was telling me about one friend of his had turned in 3 short years from being a very innocent, "good" girl to a coke head by giving blow jobs for coke.

And they do not believe that oral sex is sex at all.
        ....hmmm wonder where they got that idea....?
        "If our country is worth dying for in time of war let us resolve that it is truly worth living for in time of peace." - Hamilton Fish

Comment

• binnie
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • May 2006

Originally posted by Ellyllions

I know how the girls are getting it. He was telling me about one friend of his had turned in 3 short years from being a very innocent, "good" girl to a coke head by giving blow jobs for coke.

When I was in High School, I desparately wanted to meet girls like that.

Now, I think it's sad: and I don't mean sad as in "uncool", I mean it as in a little depressing. Not even 18 and doing that? Damn shame.

Comment

• BITEYOASS
            ROTH ARMY ELITE
            • Jan 2004

Hell, this shit has been going on for a long time over in Jackson, MI, I was in 3'rd grade and living about an hour away from the epicenter of the big crack epidemic (Detroit). We had the whole anti-drug thing going on a daily basis at school. Before that it was Heroin and weed smoking that was widespread all the way back to the late 60's. So I guess the rest of the country caught up.

I remember on Roth Radio that Dave mentioned most of the so-called cocaine being sold today is cut with crystal meth.

Comment

• BITEYOASS
              ROTH ARMY ELITE
              • Jan 2004

My parents smoked weed and I turned out just fine. Fuck, they didn't even bother hiding it. Sometimes they would be smoking this toothpick sized joint and pass it among friends. Basically to the point of mellowing out and not being full blown passed out stoned.

Comment

• Ellyllions
                Veteran
                • Mar 2006

Originally posted by BITEYOASS

I remember on Roth Radio that Dave mentioned most of the so-called cocaine being sold today is cut with crystal meth.
                Now that there is a thought...which is what these kids think is Coke.

In my high school days, no one could afford to snort coke. That's why I'm so surprised. He's talking about kids snorting cocaine throughout the day. And that it's the majority of what's being passed around.

Like I said, Cocaine was not what I expected to hear.

Comment

• Shaun Ponsonby
                  ROTH ARMY ELITE
                  • Oct 2004

I was gonna come into this thread with a teen's point of view...until I realised I'm not very well-versed in the subject. I don't like smoke, I hate needles, I hate putting things in my nose and I can't swallow tablets...HA! I don't even like being touched by other people (but then I spent a small but important part of my childhood in a homeless hostel surrounded by filthy junkies, think it left a lasting mark)

I will say I had a friend who was always trying to shock and out-do people. The key word there is "had"...I'm pretty sure you can guess the rest. Turned to cocaine and heroin...last time I saw him he was along the Leeds-Liverpool Cannal, and he was a fucking mess. And I just left him, I was just horriefied by what he had become. No idea where he is now or how he's doing. Shame. He was a real interesting character when he was clean.

Suppose it's a bit like Zammo in Grange Hill.
                  Last edited by Shaun Ponsonby; 08-16-2007, 10:21 AM.
                  Fast & Bulbous, Got Me?

Comment

• Jimmy Jingles
                    Veteran
                    • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Ellyllions

In my high school days, no one could afford to snort coke.

Same here...the only coke we had came in cans and we drank it at lunch.

Pot was so common place, we were doing it in my shop class.

Mr. Shaddix didn't give two shits!

Good times.
                    23. That's the number of people Mr. T has pitied in the time it has taken you to read this sentence.

Comment

• binnie
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • May 2006

Originally posted by Shaun Ponsonby

Suppose it's a bit like Zammo in Grange Hill.
                      I think that's the lesson we should all take from this

Comment

• bastardog
                        Commando
                        • Feb 2004

In my High school days the kids smoke joints at recess....but never inside the school. We even got drunk some times at recess.
                        coke was used just on parties.

There was a bunch of kids that use coke at school that we touth they were wealthy. After a time, at leat me, understand that they were just an image.......they live in really poor conditions (not all of them but most) and they were just "friends" bigger kids that wer drug dealers.
                        To be short, all of them ended as junkies one was killed, others are in jail with very long time to serve. Just one escape that life and join the ARMY and is (i think) in Germany.
                        Bastardog

Comment

• ThrillsNSpills
                          ROTH ARMY ELITE
                          • Jan 2004

are you sure it wasn't crack Elly?

that's cheaper, no?

Comment

• rocknrolldork
                            Foot Soldier
                            • Jun 2004

I don't do it but blow is everywhere again. It seems like the craze died down a bit in the 90's but when I went on the road the last few times it was everywhere. Everyone had it and was offering it all the time. I've seen what that shit can do to a person and everyone around them. Fuck that shit. Give me a doobie and send me on my way.

Also.... A lot of times people have already crushed meth and sell it to kids as coke. That's going to fuck a lot of kids up in the long run too.

My daughter is 15 and she tells me everything. Even the stuff I don't want to hear but as a parent need to hear. She's into some shit she shouldn't be into but not drugs thank God.

Comment

• ROTHisGOD
                              Head Fluffer
                              • Mar 2004

Coke needs to be illegal...and yes I like the effects on me,except for the draw on my bank account,that is why I don't do it anymore...

Comment

Working...