Thread: The Official Toronto 10/7 Meetup/Review Thread

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

The Official Toronto 10/7 Meetup/Review Thread

Please use this thread to discuss any preshow meetups, show reviews, setlists, debauchery with farm animals, and anything else related to the first Toronto show.

Thanks,
    VA

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Bump....
    Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I'll try ths again...

I'll be downtown and ready for food and beer around 4pm on Sunday.

I'm willing to meet up anywhere within a 10 minute cab ride to the ACC. Or 10-15 minute walk.

If any of you locals are meeting up I'd be thrilled to join you. Tippin' a few back with Army members would be quite fitting on this momentous occasion.

M

Roth Army Recruit

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by m_dixon1984
    I'll try ths again...

I'll be downtown and ready for food and beer around 4pm on Sunday.

I'm willing to meet up anywhere within a 10 minute cab ride to the ACC. Or 10-15 minute walk.

If any of you locals are meeting up I'd be thrilled to join you. Tippin' a few back with Army members would be quite fitting on this momentous occasion.

M
    The last time I was in Toronto was for the 2004 VH tour and we went to a bar just across the street from the Fairmont Hotel. The place was packed full of Van Halen fans. I remember there was a radio station on site and it was a mix of Sammy and Dave fans. I had my "David Lee Roth IS Van Halen" Tshrit on and had a lot of Dave fans come up to me and said how liked the shirt.

Unless there's a closer bar than this then you can count on me and a few of my buddies being there.

Not sure the name of the bar but if you're leaving the Fairmont looking towards Union Station then it's off to your right.

Cheers!
    Derrick

"EVERYBODY UP!!!"™
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Do they serve Molson Ex and Crown Royal ?
    Trolls take heed...LOG OUT & FUCK OFF!!!

Sniper

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    A bunch of us are going to The Irish Embassy, Corner of Welington and Yonge

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Stickied, T minus one week....

Roth Army Recruit

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by maxpower
    The last time I was in Toronto was for the 2004 VH tour and we went to a bar just across the street from the Fairmont Hotel. The place was packed full of Van Halen fans. I remember there was a radio station on site and it was a mix of Sammy and Dave fans. I had my "David Lee Roth IS Van Halen" Tshrit on and had a lot of Dave fans come up to me and said how liked the shirt.

Unless there's a closer bar than this then you can count on me and a few of my buddies being there.

Not sure the name of the bar but if you're leaving the Fairmont looking towards Union Station then it's off to your right.

Cheers!
    Derrick
    Originally posted by diamondjimi
    Do they serve Molson Ex and Crown Royal ?
    Not sure.... I was only there that one time and that was 3 years ago. I'll probably head there again this year since it's only a 5 minute walk to the ACC.

Knows what that'll ge'her
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I'll be at some bar, but not likely one close to the ACC. Going with a friend who's not part of this site. If we pass anyplace close and stop in for a beer, I'll search out any RothArmy shirts!!! One more day muthafuckas!!!!!!
    Stay Frosty, muthas!

Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Since the Irish Embassy was mentioned and it's around 5 minutes from the ACC I think I'll be heading there. I Should be there between 4 and 5.

Yell for Matt and look for the big guy at the bar looking for who called his name.

You want more specific meet up info., PM me.

M

Sniper

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Irish Embassy at 4:00

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Ok you mother fuckers, have a kick ass time!

"EVERYBODY UP!!!"™
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Tee minus 4 hrs !

YEEEEEEAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH !!!!!!!!!!

To All you "Wannabes'" FU
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Van fuckin TASTIC!

Get tickets and go to the show!!!

I'll post video and pics later!

Cunning Linguist
    Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    This just in from Toronto....... good reviews......

Van Halen takes first Canadian city of new tour by storm

Gregory Bonnell, THE CANADIAN PRESS
    TORONTO - The Van Halen jukebox of hits descended on the first Canadian city of its semi-reunion tour Sunday night, a relentless machine designed solely to whip fans into a frenzy through the high-octane delivery of David Lee Roth-era classics.

The two-hour show left nothing to be desired for Toronto fans who've been waiting more than two decades for Eddie Van Halen and David Lee Roth to share a stage and reprise the back catalogue.

The band delivered obscure treasures like "Little Guitars" alongside monster hits like "Panama."
    Diamond Dave's voice was powerful, Eddie's guitar wizardry front and centre.

It was perfect, almost too perfect.

For all Roth's talk about this being a new band and a new beginning, they did not stray from the Van Halen canon of classics committed to vinyl between 1978 and 1984.

This was a nostalgic, hit-delivery machine and no one was complaining.

"Finally, they're together," Michael Campbell, 44, said of Roth rejoining the Van Halen brothers. "They should have done this 20 years ago."

For purists, the reunion has been somewhat marred. Original bassist Michael Anthony, who has logged far more hours in Van Halen than Roth, has been replaced by Eddie's son Wolfgang.

Still, the teenage Van Halen proved his worth Sunday night, taking on Anthony's high harmony parts and even eliciting fist pumps from the crowd as he hit the catwalk.

Alex Van Halen's drum solo allowed the other brother his moment, but the fans saved their fiercest howls of approval for Dave and Eddie.

"I heard you missed us, we're back," Roth, putting extra emphasis on the lyrics to "Hot For Teacher," barked to rapturous applause.

If the old antagonisms between the singer and his virtuoso guitarist still exist there were no visible signs Sunday. The two men embraced several times during the show.

Roth strutted like the proverbial cat that swallowed the canary. His permanent grin seemed to say every chance to sing the old songs was a guilty little pleasure he was willing to share with the world.

The onslaught of classic Van Halen material began with the show's opener, their 1978 cover of The Kinks "You Really Got Me."

"I'm The One" was followed by "Runnin' With The Devil," followed in turn by "Romeo Delight" and "Somebody Get Me A Doctor" - all staples of Van Halen's live show before Roth's acrimonious departure in 1985.

Roth-era Van Halen songs never sounded quite right from the mouths of subsequent singers Sammy Hagar and Gary Cherone. Although strong singers both, Roth's delivery is all about personality and his performance Sunday made it clear there's only one Diamond Dave.

"I'm sitting on top of the world, yes I am," Roth sang with a wink and a nudge in "Beautiful Girls" that suggested he had found his way back to his true calling.

For fans, the feeling was mutual.

"Sammy Hagar was 'a' singer for Van Halen, but David Lee Roth is 'the' singer for Van Halen," said Rob Brayford, 41.

His friend Rob Vaillancourt concurred.

"Dave is the man, that's why everyone is here," said the 42-year old. "If they had a different singer, nobody would see it."

If there were any questions of whether three men in their 50s and a 16-year-old boy could gel and make decades old material spring to life, they were put to rest.

Roth has long lost the whistle-register squeals and yelps of days past, but his voice was strong nonetheless. The band delivered the material like fans remembered it and flaws were hard, if not impossible, to pick out.

Van Halen's signature Frankenstein guitar, the iconic red homemade job featuring random white and black stripes, was used sparingly - taking a back seat to his mainstay these days, a light-brown model of his own design.

It wouldn't have been a Van Halen show if the resident guitar hero didn't take the solo spotlight. Bits and pieces of "Eruption" and "Cathedral" were weaved into a blistering wall of guitar screeches and wails that bounced off the walls of the Air Canada Centre and pierced skulls.

Their shaggy manes may be gone, but Van Halen with Roth delivered every fan's dream - all hits and no filler. A monster machine aimed to please.

Their 1984 hit "Jump" provided the encore material - surely enough to hold the fans until they return Friday for a second sold out Toronto show.

The band returns to Canada before year's end for shows in Montreal, Vancouver, Calgary and Edmonton.
    "Hear that O.F.? If old school Army gals with solid track records of contribution choose to bless us with their tits, ass, vagina, or just sexy eye shots, leave them be (at least until I've had a chance to rub one out)..."
    That is all.
    Icon.

"we've always known that van hagar fans are the stupidest people on the planet but my god! "

Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    A Small Dive in a trashy neighborhood somewhere on Fornax 9
    Status
    Originally posted by Jurak
    The band returns to Canada before year's end for shows in Montreal, Vancouver, Calgary and Edmonton.
    Idiot.

He seems to forget they will be in Toronto AGAIN in just a few days.

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    He did say that bro....

Originally posted by Jurak
    surely enough to hold the fans until they return Friday for a second sold out Toronto show.

To All you "Wannabes'" FU
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Exactly what he said.
    The show was great I mean fuckin great.
    Met a bunch of people from here and DDLR.
    Like I said I'll post vid and pics later..........

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Fantastic Review!

Yes, let's see some pics our ROTHARMY Canadian Friends....!
    "Meet us in the Future.....NOT the Pasture".......DLR, August '07, VH Press Conference - Tour '07-'08

Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
    He did say that bro....
    Ha! My bad.

The Todd Show
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by Hardrock69
    Idiot.
    Don't be so hard on yourself.

Mezro...you just forgot to read the entire article...
    Got me a date with a shaved Asian. I know, I know; I think it's fucked!

Roadie
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    any video clips of the show?

Knows what that'll ge'her
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    FAN FUCKING TASTIC SHOW!!!!! The band sounded great, and DLR was strong on the vocals. Eddie seemed to be having a ball especially with Wolfgang. Only part of the show that was a disappointment for me was that Alex's double bass during hot for teacher really drowned out all the vocals and guitars at points.

Kick ass version of Beautiful Girls!!!!!

HEARD YA MISSED US, WE'RE BACK!!!!!!!!!

Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by Mezro
    Don't be so hard on yourself.

Mezro...you just forgot to read the entire article...
    Huh? Whut article?

Hardrock69 By the way, where the fakk yoo bin?
    :confused:

It takeses full blown re-onion to get you ta show yo' face roun' heah agin?

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Burlington, Ontario (Canada motherfucker!!)
    Status
    My review fro DDLR.com:

Alex's drum solo was awesome. It sounded like the liberation of Baghdad. The guy is amazing. Plus he had some showmanship.

Dave sounded great on most songs, but he sounded off in others. HFT was really poor vocals, but I never thought that song was good live anyway. He was awesome on the songs with the lower registers. And he was outstanding on Little Dreamer, DTNA, SMGMAD, EWS and Panama. Panama especially he was wailing. Dave and Wolfie did a great job on PW, as much as I hate that song.

EVH was on fire.

Wolfgang can play, and he can sing. The whole speculation of piped in backing vox is total bullshit. Several times he sang into Dave's Mike, and he and Eddie shared a mic. Eddie sang into Dave's mic at least once. And you can hear Wolfie's voice in the vocals. It's 100 percent clean. The kid can sing.

Great show.

Prior to the show, I was at The Loose Moose and they were playing Live Without a Net on the TVs. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. Half the songs the DJ played were Van Hagar. Beyond belief.

A young trio came in and sat down, and were laughing at it. I was wondering if they thought it was VH they were witnessing. I was half-inclined to go inform them that what they were seeing was certainly not VH.......I even asked the manager of the bar what the fuck was going on with that shit on the screens. He just didn't get it.....................

Cunning Linguist
    Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Some people sadly, don't get it............................ever!

"EVERYBODY UP!!!"™
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Great show !

All killer ,no filler !

Here's some shots I took...

Here !

Sheep Pen Kiwi
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by Baby's On Fire
    My review fro DDLR.com:

Alex's drum solo was awesome. It sounded like the liberation of Baghdad. The guy is amazing. Plus he had some showmanship.

Dave sounded great on most songs, but he sounded off in others. HFT was really poor vocals, but I never thought that song was good live anyway. He was awesome on the songs with the lower registers. And he was outstanding on Little Dreamer, DTNA, SMGMAD, EWS and Panama. Panama especially he was wailing. Dave and Wolfie did a great job on PW, as much as I hate that song.

EVH was on fire.

Wolfgang can play, and he can sing. The whole speculation of piped in backing vox is total bullshit. Several times he sang into Dave's Mike, and he and Eddie shared a mic. Eddie sang into Dave's mic at least once. And you can hear Wolfie's voice in the vocals. It's 100 percent clean. The kid can sing.

Great show.

Prior to the show, I was at The Loose Moose and they were playing Live Without a Net on the TVs. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. Half the songs the DJ played were Van Hagar. Beyond belief.

A young trio came in and sat down, and were laughing at it. I was wondering if they thought it was VH they were witnessing. I was half-inclined to go inform them that what they were seeing was certainly not VH.......I even asked the manager of the bar what the fuck was going on with that shit on the screens. He just didn't get it.....................
    And Out Of 1-10,How Would You Rate The New Van Halen?
    First Roth Army Kiwi To See Van Halen Live 6/16/2012 Phoenix Arizona.

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Sheep Pen Kiwi
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by bantonelli
    Damn.

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Dan - get yo' bad self over here to the U.S. and see this concert. You won't regret it....invite is open for Los Angeles gig!!! I might have an extra tix for the 12/14/07 show!

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by Dan
    And Out Of 1-10,How Would You Rate The New Van Halen?
    If comparing to the original, I would give it a 7. DLR's classic scream is gone BUT he has a cool new scream. More like a roar. Cool in it's own right. Plus, the moves are gone.

If I didn't know about CVH, I would give this a 9. Charisma was there, musicianship is there, and the songs of course.

But, if there really are piped in backing vox, I'll give it a 0. VH was the World's greatest live band. Piped in vocals is not acceptable. Leave that to Britney.

Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Loved every moment!!

This is Dave's triumphant return into Rock and Roll's spotlight. He's taking this shit seriously people. He was working his ass off up there despite being drowned out by the crowd on many, many occasions (from my perspective on the floor, 3 rows from the front of the extended stage) - dead centre). A dozen times, at least, I saw him blocking out one ear so he wouldn't miss his cues and he could stay on key. Vocally, Little Dreamer and Little Guitars were probably the high points for me. The crowd wasn't nearly as loud during these songs and Diamond Dave could be heard loud and clear.

Alex played great all show long and I enjoyed the new drum solo. It's no longer a build up to the rapid fire drum roll (an old drummer friend once told me he hit 128th notes in the old solo, but I'm no expert). He seemed to tease us a bit but he never got fully up to speed. Then his drum along to the recorded track started. It's entertaining and probably not long enough to get to the bathroom and back before the next song starts (especially if you're close to the stage like I was) so hang around and enjoy.

Wolfie...acceptable but also quite unremarkable. I missed the high scream during Romeo Delight that Mike would likely have done if Dave missed it. That's the only time I even thought about MA.

Ed played great but I really think he's got to go wireless so the crowd can see him on the ramps and on the left-side of the stage more. Solo seemed shorter than I've seen before and I wasn't nearly as impressed as I usually I am. Again, I'm no expert, but Ed wasn't making it look as effortless as he used to and that took away some of the magic for me. This is not the drunken, couldn't care less Ed, I saw on the 2004 tour. His happiness seems genuine when interacting with Dave, he's obviously thrilled to be playing with his son, and he doesn't seem to be letting the hiccups of a live performance affect his playing (I swear in 2004 he spent 20 minutes noodling and tuning while songs with pre-recorded keyboard tracks played for the crowd). He did seem to be having trouble playing along to the track on Jump but I may be mistaken. I hope he stays sober for everyone until the end of December because this is the best I've seen him play since 1993 (support of the Live CD).

4-star ticket - $380 - worth every penny. If I strecthed I could have slapped hands with Dave and Wolfie. During I'll Wait Dave serenaded the girl next me, held her gaze for a good 5 seconds. She almost fainted as he walked away and I had to grab her before she fell. Can't comment on the big screen or the laser effects as I didn't really look at either - too close to the real action to bother - although during the solos the big screen was nice (I like to see Ed and Al playing, although both are a little grizzled for the high-def image). SPOILER ALERT...4-STAR SWAG...1 fridge magnet, 1 bottle opener, 1 pin, 1 10% off coupon from the new online store (codeword VANHALEN so we can all save 10%). The 3 cheap items seem to be exclusive items, for now. They aren't available at the merchandise stands but I suspect we'll see them at the online store once it opens.

First time I've met up with other Army members and I certainly enjoyed their company before the show. It's nice putting faces to annonymous screen names. Cheers to jgdrag, twonabomber, guwapo_rocker, tommyv, and moose. Enjoy the rest of your shows and maybe we'll see each other again in Montreal.

Peace.

M

Sniper

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    No speeding tickets on the way home ?

Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    They had a speed trap up around Belleville and 4 or 5 cars got pulled over in front of me. Good thing I learned my lesson on the way down and I was in no rush to get home. I took it easy all the way home while replaying the entire show in my head. Speaking of which (my head that is) that annoying buzz in my ears is almost gone but I still have no voice to speak of. The clients I help on the phone have been commenting. It's a good laugh and I get to talk about my favorite subject...VAN HALEN.

M

Sniper

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Right on!! Don't think we'll do Montreal though.

Sniper

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by Baby's On Fire
    If comparing to the original, I would give it a 7. DLR's classic scream is gone BUT he has a cool new scream. More like a roar. Cool in it's own right. Plus, the moves are gone.

If I didn't know about CVH, I would give this a 9. Charisma was there, musicianship is there, and the songs of course.

But, if there really are piped in backing vox, I'll give it a 0. VH was the World's greatest live band. Piped in vocals is not acceptable. Leave that to Britney.
    Watch this youtube vid closely,

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wGIoE6QvyYE"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wGIoE6QvyYE" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Wolfgang is doing the backing vocals. Ed clearly is making it look as though he is for effect.

There is no question in seeing the show Wolfgang's vocals are legit. None at all.

Big surprise Ed can't do it...................I wonder if his guitar is piped in too. VH just went down the shitter for me. What a disgrace.
    Yeah Dave, better than ever huh?

Sniper

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Sorry bro, kind of hurt me too

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I've lost all respect for VH and DLR. I wonder how many alleged VH fans are gonna find excuses for this..........

I can't imagine a true fan accepting this.

Thread Information