Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Official Los Angeles 11/20 Meetup/Review Thread

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-10-2015 @ 11:53 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Have a blast LA, in NYC VH brought their A game.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Sniper

Member No
    Last Online
    10-06-2015 @ 11:54 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Cya in t minus 9 hours
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Roadie
    Member No
    Last Online
    08-06-2009 @ 06:18 PM
    Status
    Thanks

well doors open in 40 minutes i live like 6 blocks from staples center so i'll get there at 7:00 pm

Sniper

Member No
    Last Online
    01-14-2012 @ 11:00 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Don't tease

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-15-2012 @ 10:16 PM
    Status
    Thanks

yeah im almost ready to go people!!!

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

fuck the show was amazing!!!!! pretty sure it was the same set list even though i have resisted from looking at it for the past month and some. fuck highlights were romeo delight for me everybody wants some jamie dance the night....fuck man good shit. only complaint is that ed should not have used those art series ones. didnt sound as good as the one he has been using. it was in tune just a little harder to hear. soundwise it was pretty fucking good. could have i just wish it could have been louder even though it was already hella loud!!! i love my shit loud!!! i got tickets for the 14th and im debating if i should go again...... what do you guys say!!!???

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-07-2016 @ 01:20 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,110 Times in 2,874 Posts

Two words: Holy Crap!!

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-08-2021 @ 12:33 AM
    Status
    Thanks

The show was fantastic as expected. Having been at Charlotte, the expectations were ON.

Dave looks more cut up than ever. Wolfie seems more relaxed on stage.

These guys give you an aerobic work out - NONSTOP!

Over and out from HOLLYROTHLAND!!!

Sniper

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

The show was killer. Best concert I have ever seen. Dave was absolutely unbelievable. Dave truly is Van Halen.

Eddie was better than I expected but still not nearly as good as he used to be.

Highlights for me were Romeo Delight, Little Guitars, and Mean Streets.

A couple negatives. Eddie was using a cable not wireless and stood in front of the drums in the middle of the stage for most of the show. I thought that was a bit strange. After subjecting his guitar to whammy bar torture during his guitar solo Ed did not think to change guitars prior to starting the next song (Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love) and his high E string was out of tune (duh!). Fortunately Ed realized this and stopped using that string for the rest of the song. Al had a pretty big screw up in Pretty Woman and a small one in Hot For Teacher but his drum solo was pretty good and I generally don't like drum solos. Wolfgang was very good and was moving around the stage more. He told Dave give him a break during Unchained. Wolfgang is a much better lip syncher than Ed. It didn't take Ed long to convince me for sure that the background vocals were piped in.

But that being said Dave was beyond perfect and the show was beyond extraordinary.

Groupie
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-26-2008 @ 06:43 AM
    Status
    Thanks

One aspect that I'm always curious to hear about is whether Ed and Dave interact with each other and how much? During the Boston show they truly seemed like they were having THE BEST time. A week later in Worcester they only interacted when they had to. I.e. during Dave's impression of a motorcycle, during the little cover tune interludes, etc.

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-08-2021 @ 12:33 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by dave_is_vh
    Wolfgang is a much better lip syncher than Ed. It didn't take Ed long to convince me for sure that the background vocals were piped in.

But that being said Dave was beyond perfect and the show was beyond extraordinary.

LOL! I don't remember which song, but as far as the lip-synching goes, Ed had a cigarette in his mouth and trying to sing background vocals simultaneously!?!....that made it ever so obvious the vocals were piped in.

Mr. Smarty Pants
    Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-01-2012 @ 09:00 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Unhappy Wolfgang has no business...

being on that stage. I don't care what his last name is that kid is BORING! Zero stage presence!!! Can he play bass... sure he can. Is he a better bass player than Michael Anthony... hey ya know what... he just might be. BUT... sometimes rock and roll is more than just being able to play your instrument. MA knew how to run around and get some energy on stage and in the crowd and for me his background vocals were sorely missed. Was Eddie great... yes but seriously... the same fucking solo for the past 10 years!!! Alex... rock solid as always... maybe he's the best part of the band. DLR... looks great!! Finally has a cool haircut and I finally loved his stage clothes. Did he sound great... no but he sounded really good although the sound at the Staples center is not good. Now overall the show for me was just okay. Much like the Sammy show in 2004 there were elements missing. 2004 had rock solid Alex and drunk Eddie but MA and Sammy tried to supply the energy by running around and engaging the crowd. Last night we had rock solid Alex and sober Eddie but we had a boring kid pretending to be a rockstar. When he said "Dave give me a break" it just sucked. The kid has zero charisma. Now for DLR... the greatest front man in the world did not engage the audience at all. Why have that s shaped ramp if you're not going to run around and get crazy. It was a very safe lackluster performance. I saw the Stones last year at Dodger Stadium and Mick ran from left field to right field all night long. high energy and great sound. I only say this because age is not a factor.

That's my honest review. I didn't hate the show but Wolfie did ruin a lot of it for me.

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I remember a point where Ed didn't even bother to open his mouth near the mic, yet there was his voice...:p

Overall a kickass show, though. I'd actually say their energy level was higher than when I saw them on the 1984 tour.
    They were having fun and you could tell...

And the ladies (and whiners) on the board would have been impressed with the amount of Dave back-bends... Not sure what Hina's talking about...Dave was great....

Mr. Smarty Pants
    Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by jhale667
    Not sure what Hina's talking about...Dave was great....
    I'm talking about Dave just "walking" around the stage and Eddie being strpped to the drum riser with his guitar cord. Did Dave run around? No did thay utilize those fucking ramps... yeah they took a "stroll" on them evry now and then. Dave carried a giant blow-up microphone over his head up the ramp... that's boring shit to me. Those guys look like they're in great shape so let's run around and have so fun.

Over & Out,
    General Hina

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-28-2024 @ 09:22 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,517 Times in 2,422 Posts

Originally posted by DLRdelight!
    could have i just wish it could have been louder even though it was already hella loud!!! i love my shit loud!!!
    Now there's something I'd NEVER thought I'd hear on this tour....

LOUDER ??

Sniper

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I remember a point where Ed didn't even bother to open his mouth near the mic, yet there was his voice...:p
    I found it amazing that Wolfgang could sing harmony vocals all by himself with no help from anyone else

Also Alex's screw ups were on Pretty Woman and I'll Wait. No screwups on Hot for Teacher.

Sniper

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by General Hina
    That's my honest review. I didn't hate the show but Wolfie did ruin a lot of it for me.
    LOL!!! Anthony really was the core of Van Halen. Hahahahahhahaa!!!!!!!

Mr. Smarty Pants
    Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by dave_is_vh
    LOL!!! Anthony really was the core of Van Halen. Hahahahahhahaa!!!!!!!

MA was far from being the core of VH but Wolfie definitely brought the show down quite a few notches. His stage performance... sucked.

Over & Out,
    General Hina

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:18 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,582 Times in 3,461 Posts

Originally posted by naturochem
    I really hope this faggot shows & someone kicks his fucking teeth in.... certainly wouldn't detract from my night...

Anyone have an xtra??
    LOL It wouldn't be the first time that's happened here actually...

But given that Kennedy is probably a chick, I doubt it will happen...

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:18 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,582 Times in 3,461 Posts

Re: Wolfgang has no business...

being on that stage. I don't care what his last name is that kid is BORING! Zero stage presence!!! Can he play bass... sure he can. Is he a better bass player than Michael Anthony... hey ya know what... he just might be. BUT... sometimes rock and roll is more than just being able to play your instrument. MA knew how to run around and get some energy on stage and in the crowd and for me his background vocals were sorely missed. Was Eddie great... yes but seriously... the same fucking solo for the past 10 years!!! Alex... rock solid as always... maybe he's the best part of the band. DLR... looks great!! Finally has a cool haircut and I finally loved his stage clothes. Did he sound great... no but he sounded really good although the sound at the Staples center is not good. Now overall the show for me was just okay. Much like the Sammy show in 2004 there were elements missing. 2004 had rock solid Alex and drunk Eddie but MA and Sammy tried to supply the energy by running around and engaging the crowd. Last night we had rock solid Alex and sober Eddie but we had a boring kid pretending to be a rockstar. When he said "Dave give me a break" it just sucked. The kid has zero charisma. Now for DLR... the greatest front man in the world did not engage the audience at all. Why have that s shaped ramp if you're not going to run around and get crazy. It was a very safe lackluster performance. I saw the Stones last year at Dodger Stadium and Mick ran from left field to right field all night long. high energy and great sound. I only say this because age is not a factor.

I seriously doubt that Wolfgang is a better bassist than MA. And the fact that they now need to pipe in so much (but certainly not all, as backing tracks are all too common in live music now) of the backing vocal is lame, I don't care what anyone says. It's one thing when bands like U2 make no secret that they do it to recreate complex songs, that's one thing. But when the "revision" tour is doing it to make up for what should be there in the first place, that just sucks...

And as far as 2004, I didn't follow the tour since seeing Van Hagar again didn't interest me in the least, but I had read at the Links that Mike was thought to have "carried" a bewildered Ed through a lot of shows. In fact, I think I read that it seemed that Mike would turn up his bass and play more complex arrangements as Edwad withered..
    Last edited by Nickdfresh; 11-21-2007 at 02:41 PM.

Roadie
    Member No
    Last Online
    08-06-2009 @ 06:18 PM
    Status
    Thanks

great show last night. they were awesome they sounded great! one of the best shows i've been too i'll post some pictures later

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I'm talking about Dave just "walking" around the stage and Eddie being strpped to the drum riser with his guitar cord.
    I do find Eddie's stage placement to be a little odd.
    And the cable thing...I can understand it from a guitar purist standpoint...
    he "doesn't like what it (wireless) does to his tone",
    but I see your point, it's a rock show fer cryin' out loud...get a wirelesss, get over it and run around the fucking stage...:p

Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
    Now there's something I'd NEVER thought I'd hear on this tour....

LOUDER ??
    I was surprised how loud they weren't: I brought two different kinds of hearing protection and ended up using neither...

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I was surprised how loud they weren't: I brought two different kinds of hearing protection and ended up using neither...
    Don't get me wrong, I think this is a GOOD thing....

Loudness = Distortion to me....

Could be that I'm an old fuck now, who knows...

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Loudness = Distortion to me....
    Funny, to me Loudness = 80s Japanese metal band ...

All kidding aside, I thought they sounded good. Mix was a little muffled, but that could have been where I was sitting...

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

i have to agree with hina. they have that ramp and hardly ever use it. wolf went on it once. and the can only remember dave going on it twice including the jump part. soundwise it was pretty damn good. like i said i just like my shit loud....maybe because im 19 but louder is better. i hvae tix for them on the 14th at staples again and im thinking if i should dell them to a friend or go again. not sure. great show over all especially since it was my first roth show ever!!!

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Good point re: the ramp....

One of things I've been a little disappointed with on this tour....

As little as they're using the "S", I'd just assume put a square platform in the center of the stage jutting out to the crowd, e.g. at the US Festival....

Sniper

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I don't think Ed walked the "S" a single time. He didn't go more than 20 feet from the drums. And what was up with him wrapping the guitar cord all over himself during his solo?

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Funny, to me Loudness = 80s Japanese metal band ...

One of favorite bands, not joking..... Saw them twice at the Budokan in '86....

Sniper

Member No
    Last Online
    01-12-2013 @ 10:02 PM
    Status
    Thanks

they probably put that s shape walkway there so they could put people in the circle and call it "all access", that way they can justify charging 500 bucks a ticket, even though its not really all access, in 2004 at least Mike and Sammy used that thing to interact with the crowd, and you could even attend the soundcheck in 04 from what ive heard

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

yeah ed cant really do anything since he is not wireless and since i have not been looking at all the other stuff on the tour to make that night better why did ed move in front of the drums??? i also dont like his use of the wah really. seems like he gets lazy and uses that to make up for it.

Sniper

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

lazy summarizes ed

" Littering and...."
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-16-2024 @ 07:42 PM
    Status
    Thanks

That is surprising..either they toned it down or you have some serious hearing problems
    My brain was rattling at times at the Greensboro show

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by Fairwrning
    That is surprising..either they toned it down or you have some serious hearing problems
    My brain was rattling at times at the Greensboro show
    It's already been suggested it's a little of both...
    Out of the three of people I was hanging with, two of us ended up not using anything...
    My other friend said he did it mostly out of habit, wasn't like he needed it...
    Wow, it was like '84 for a second there..."Protection? NAH!"

Sheep Pen Kiwi
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-26-2024 @ 02:58 PM
    Status
    Thanks

jhale667,Did You Take Any Pictures?

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Nah, was too far back...and the video from my phone didn't come out much better either...

<embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://i65.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid65.photobucket.com/albums/h217/jhale667/Video0006.flv"></embed>

Sheep Pen Kiwi
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-26-2024 @ 02:58 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Ok,So How Many People Do You Think Went To The Show?

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    12-31-2015 @ 07:12 PM
    Status
    Thanks

One of favorite bands, not joking..... Saw them twice at the Budokan in '86....
    Wow, they're a blast from the past. Saw them open for Motley Crue back in 85. Mick Mars had his ass handed to him that night, Akira smoked him. Both bands put on a great show though. Thunder In The East is a classic hard rock album with some eighties cheese thrown in for good measure.

Groupie
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-07-2008 @ 01:13 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Couldn't believe all the fags I saw there.

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-11-2008 @ 02:07 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by Kennedy
    So you obviously had a gay old time and did some business.

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by Kennedy
    You must've been in heaven...

Thread Information