Ize votes fo'...D.O.A.

Comment

• Redballjets88
      Full Member Status

• Mar 2005

Light up the skies.
      R.I.P Van Halen 1978-1984

hopefully God will ressurect you

"i wont be messing with you in future.the fearsome redballjets88 for fear of you owning me some more" Axl S

" I liked Sammy Hagar " FORD

Comment

• binnie
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • May 2006

Originally posted by Jim Shetterlini
        I would have to say "Girl Gone Bad" . The song just speaks dark and bad... Mixed up arrangement too...
        Yeah, I've always found the contrast between the dark lyrics and the frantic arrangments really effective. Dave's vocal is quite subduded, whereas the band is giving out of all this crazy energy. Fantastic.
        The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• MCMLXXXIV
          Full On Cocktard
          • Feb 2007

Sunday afternoon in the park.

Definetly!

Comment

• Bonzo1026
            Roadie
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by MCMLXXXIV
            Sunday afternoon in the park.

Definetly!
            My first choice initially but wasn't sure if the question meant songs with lyrics........

Comment

• ddirvine
              Roadie
              • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Grant
              Mean Street - musically and lyrically.

I agree.....

I would love to hear the story behind writing this song.

Comment

• blonddgirl777
                ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2005

Jamie's Crying is pretty sad ?

But not dark...
                http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e9...oman-movie.jpg
                Originally posted by Nitro Express
                ... What erases the linger of horniness more than Al Quaida? Then blondegirl can post some new hot dudes and stir a new wave of horniness...
                Originally posted by Jérôme Frenchise
                [B]... Cooking, I mean Cooking, is men's field...
                http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e9...i_triangle.jpg
                Originally posted by VanHalener
                ... Fight the Good Fight and Win!...
                Originally posted by FORD
                ... And let's face it, if mothers (except Chelsea Clinton's) ruled this world, there would be no goddamned war in the first place...

Comment

• Steve Savicki
                  • Jan 2004

Musically, the second track off of "Fair Warning."
                  sigpic

Comment

• diamondsgirl
                    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                    • Apr 2004

Mean Street is pretty friggin dark

has anyone mentioned Atomic Punk?

Not THE darkest, but kind of medium dark...with all that netherworld and underground shizzat
                    “Why do people say "grow some balls"? Balls are weak and sensitive. If you wanna be tough, grow a vagina. Those things can take a pounding” ― Betty White

Comment

• Seshmeister
                      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Put out the lights!

Comment

• DlocRoth
                        ROCKSTAR

• Jan 2004

Nice sig, Sesh.............
                        Fuck Scott Weiland. Fucking asshole. I get trashed all the time and still go to work. And my job sucks ass. -ODShowtime

Comment

• Seshmeister
                          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

We finally accepted that we were a bunch of drunken bums and have professionals doing our stuff now.

Comment

• sadaist
                            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                            • Jul 2004

Van Halen didn't really write dark songs. That is one of the aspects of them that made them great. Always fun, full throttle, kick your ass, bang your girlfriend, steal your beer and crash your car type of music. Leave the dark music to the grunge rockers. But as for the darkest song recorded under the name Van Halen, I would say Crossing Over. I know, it's a Hagar song. But it's dark. Dave isn't the right guy for dark. He's always too happy. And why wouldn't he be...he's Diamond David Lee Roth.
                            “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• Rat Salade
                              Groupie
                              • Aug 2007

Originally posted by sadaist
                              Van Halen didn't really write dark songs. That is one of the aspects of them that made them great. Always fun, full throttle, kick your ass, bang your girlfriend, steal your beer and crash your car type of music. Leave the dark music to the grunge rockers. But as for the darkest song recorded under the name Van Halen, I would say Crossing Over. I know, it's a Hagar song. But it's dark. Dave isn't the right guy for dark. He's always too happy. And why wouldn't he be...he's Diamond David Lee Roth.
                              blasphemy!

a dark song isn't just the musical arrangements, it's also the lyrical content and how it melds together with the music that can give the feeling of destruction.

i see where you're coming from though - and would most certainly agree to a point. while van halen has no cookie-cutter dark songs - but dave's lyricks do speak of some pretty "dark" things and eddie....well, he's just eddie. his feelings and how he expresses his feelings is through his fingers, and he is the master of manipulating the guitar to give an audience a desired feeling.

when i hear eddie play, i'm sure some would agree, myself included, that we know exactly what he was feeling when he wrote a particular song. eddie is the best translator on the planet . He doesn't hide anything when he plays - it's 110% throttle all the damn time. i have yet to find another guitar player who can transpose his thoughts through his guitar and out to the audience like he does. I don't get stirred listening to any other guitar player - there's plenty of great guitar players out there - but in this day and age, playing with the fiercness and attack that eddie has - is just gone from today's rock music. that's what rock is missing today. maybe it's just a guitar player's thing lol.

nonetheless, i agree for the most part, 98% of their songs were of the candor you entaled.
                              "It seems like 40 days and 40 nights since someone used my first name, including you."

Comment

• Redballjets88
                                Full Member Status

• Mar 2005

Originally posted by Rat Salade
                                blasphemy!

a dark song isn't just the musical arrangements, it's also the lyrical content and how it melds together with the music that can give the feeling of destruction.

i see where you're coming from though - and would most certainly agree to a point. while van halen has no cookie-cutter dark songs - but dave's lyricks do speak of some pretty "dark" things and eddie....well, he's just eddie. his feelings and how he expresses his feelings is through his fingers, and he is the master of manipulating the guitar to give an audience a desired feeling.

when i hear eddie play, i'm sure some would agree, myself included, that we know exactly what he was feeling when he wrote a particular song. eddie is the best translator on the planet . He doesn't hide anything when he plays - it's 110% throttle all the damn time. i have yet to find another guitar player who can transpose his thoughts through his guitar and out to the audience like he does. I don't get stirred listening to any other guitar player - there's plenty of great guitar players out there - but in this day and age, playing with the fiercness and attack that eddie has - is just gone from today's rock music. that's what rock is missing today. maybe it's just a guitar player's thing lol.

nonetheless, i agree for the most part, 98% of their songs were of the candor you entaled.
                                good point but i dont think ed is the master of conveying feeling through a guitar, Stevie Ray pretty much lived through his guitar. Eric clapton said that seeing srv play was as if he and his guitar are one and the same .
                                R.I.P Van Halen 1978-1984

hopefully God will ressurect you

"i wont be messing with you in future.the fearsome redballjets88 for fear of you owning me some more" Axl S

" I liked Sammy Hagar " FORD

Comment

Working...