Thread: The Downfall of Michael Anthony - TIMELINE

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

The Downfall of Michael Anthony - TIMELINE

*please feel free to add to this if I missed anything significant.

1981 On the Fair Warning tour, Eddie approaches Billy Sheenan to join VH as the new bassist. Sheenan declines out of respect to Michael Anthony.

1993 While still in VH, Anthony and singer Sammy Hagar form a 'side band' called Los Tres Gusanos along with Hagar alum David Lauser on drums. The trio play Hagar's birthday bashes at Cabo Wabo in addition to other events.

1996 Anthony is suspicously removed from the writing credits to both "Jump" and "Panama" in the liner notes to VH's Best of Volume I, which also featured two new songs with original singer David Lee Roth.

1996 (Dec.) Upon the hiring of new singer Gary Cherone, rumours start of Anthony's exit/departure from VH. Eddie soon dispells the rumours as false.

1997 In his autobiography 'Crazy From the Heat', Roth states that Eddie was shopping around for bass players in order to remove Anthony from the band. This was during Roth's brief return to record two songs for Best of Vol. 1 in the summer of 1996.

1998 VH releases 'Van Halen III' with Cherone. The album becomes a commercial failure. Anthony is reportedly absent from much of the tracks, supposedly only playing on 3 of them. Anthony's trademark harmonies and backing vocals are also not heard.

2002 Anthony rejoins Hagar on stage for some dates on the co-headlining Sammy Hagar-David Lee Roth tour, to the dismay of both Eddie and Alex Van Halen.

2004 Hagar rejoins VH for a tour and records three new songs for another greatest hits compilation (BOBW). Anthony was not involved with either the writing or recording for all three songs. In a 2005 interview, Anthony claims that Eddie also did not want him for the tour. Hagar insisted he be involved and got his wish, however, as a consequence Anthony was paid considerably less than his fellow bandmates and had to relinquish several rights to the 'Van Halen' name and image. It is not clear whether song-writing credits were effected.

2005-2006 Hagar and Anthony tour as 'The Other Half'; self-proclaiming themselves to be 'the other half of Van Halen.'

2005 Anthony supposedly does not call Eddie and Alex to offer condolences on the passing of their mother. This upsets both Eddie and Alex greatly.

2006 Eddie confirms on Howard Stern that his son, Wolfgang, is the new bass player for Van Halen. Eddie also mentions being upset over Hagar and Anthony touring as 'The Other Half'; also referring to Anthony as 'sauce boy'.

2006 A press release confirms Anthony's replacement as Eddie's son, Wolfgang Van Halen.

2006 Roth is invited to rejoin and play with the new lineup. The band make preparations for a tour in 2007.

2007 Van Halen is inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. The only people to accept the award in person are both former members Hagar and Anthony.

2007 (Aug) Van Halen announce their tour with Roth and new bassist Wolfgang Van Halen. VH.com is also updated, unfortunately with Anthony removed from the front covers of both Van Halen I (which also featured a 'photo-shopped' image of Wolfgang in his place) and WACF. Supposedly responding to the uproar from VH fans on the Internet, the albums are restored to their original form with Anthony.
    Last edited by Vinnie Velvet; 09-07-2007 at 03:46 PM.
    =V V=
    ole No.1 The finest
    EAT US AND SMILE

Builder of Sites
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    You forgot the part where MA was held responsible for 9/11, the SARS outbreak, and the downfall of Britney Spears.

But thank God we're not running out of MA threads, I was getting worried....

Quote Originally Posted by Kristy View Post
    Dude, what in the fuck is wrong with you? I'm full of hate and I do drugs.
    Quote Originally Posted by cadaverdog View Post
    I posted under aliases and I jerk off with a sock. Anything else to add?

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by LoungeMachine
    You forgot the part where MA was held responsible for 9/11, the SARS outbreak, and the downfall of Britney Spears.

Damnit! I knew there was something else.

On Fire
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Nice one Vinnie!

Your Own Personal Satan
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    How about shit-canning the "State your Take" forum and replacing it with a Michael Anthony forum?

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    But it is all the truth and alot of times none of this is brought up in pro MA threads....mmmm...interesting. I have respect for him and he seems like an ok guy but there are 2 sides to every bitch fight.

Spammy's fucked now
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by Vinnie Velvet
    *please feel free to add to this if I missed anything significant.

1981 On the Fair Warning tour, Eddie approaches Billy Sheenan to join VH as the new bassist. Sheenan declines out of respect to Michael Anthony.

1993 While still in VH, Anthony and singer Sammy Hagar form a 'side band' called Los Tres Gusanos along with Hagar alum David Lauser on drums. The trio play Hagar's birthday bashes at Cabo Wabo in addition to other events.

1996 Anthony is suspicously removed from the writing credits to both "Jump" and "Panama" in the liner notes to VH's Best of Volume I, which also featured two new songs with original singer David Lee Roth.

1996 (Dec.) Upon the hiring of new singer Gary Cherone, rumours start of Anthony's exit/departure from VH. Eddie soon dispells the rumours as false.

1997 In his autobiography 'Crazy From the Heat', Roth states that Eddie was shopping around for bass players in order to remove Anthony from the band. This was during Roth's brief return to record two songs for Best of Vol. 1 in the summer of 1996.

1998 VH releases 'Van Halen III' with Cherone. The album becomes a commercial failure. Anthony is reportedly absent from much of the tracks, supposedly only playing on 3 of them. Anthony's trademark harmonies and backing vocals are also not heard.

2002 Anthony rejoins Hagar on stage for some dates on the co-headlining Sammy Hagar-David Lee Roth tour, to the dismay of both Eddie and Alex Van Halen.

2004 Hagar rejoins VH for a tour and records three new songs for another greatest hits compilation (BOBW). Anthony was not involved with either the writing or recording for all three songs. In a 2005 interview, Anthony claims that Eddie also did not want him for the tour. Hagar insisted he be involved and got his wish, however, as a consequence Anthony was paid considerably less than his fellow bandmates and had to relinquish several rights to the 'Van Halen' name and image. It is not clear whether song-writing credits were effected.

2005-2006 Hagar and Anthony tour as 'The Other Half'; self-proclaiming themselves to be 'the other half of Van Halen.'

2005 Anthony supposedly does not call Eddie and Alex to offer condolences on the passing of their mother. This upsets both Eddie and Alex greatly.

2006 Eddie confirms on Howard Stern that his son, Wolfgang, is the new bass player for Van Halen. Eddie also mentions being upset over Hagar and Anthony touring as 'The Other Half'; also referring to Anthony as 'sauce boy'.

2006 A press release confirms Anthony's replacement as Eddie's son, Wolfgang Van Halen.

2006 Roth is invited to rejoin and play with the new lineup. The band make preparations for a tour in 2007.

2007 Van Halen is inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. The only people to accept the award in person are both former members Hagar and Anthony.

2007 (Aug) Van Halen announce their tour with Roth and new bassist Wolfgang Van Halen. VH.com is also updated, unfortunately with Anthony removed from the front covers of both Van Halen I (which also featured a 'photo-shopped' image of Wolfgang in his place) and WACF. Supposedly responding to the uproar from VH fans on the Internet, the albums are restored to their original form with Anthony.
    Michael Anthony may have the last word, you never know in this funny old world

Sniper

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    VH should hire you as its official band historian.
    "Bumper sticker on my rocket's ass: go home, the earth is full." DLR

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by dave_is_vh
    VH should hire you as its official band historian.
    lol seriously

Builder of Sites
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by Figs
    How about shit-canning the "State your Take" forum and replacing it with a Michael Anthony forum?
    Whatya think this is, the Links?

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Whatya think this is, the Links?

I believe Figs was being sarcastic.

Though stranger things have been suggested.

Seriously, I just thought I'd put the whole MA-VH saga into one post, as in a timeline. Most of us know all of this anyway.

It just gives some perspective and thought to the END result --- as in Mike not being in the band anymore.

God knows we need more Anthony threads.

ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I have scanned the MA treads and flipped a couple of comments out to the masses,.

I now know more about MA than I did before, strange..?

He used to be Bassplayer now he is Bassplayer that did some other things.

He is evidently a guy who does things.... other?

Did Van Halen ever have a Bassplayer?

Just kidding I know they did .....I mean ......they did.... didn't they?

Some Bass in the background would have been nice .

The only reason I am writing this is due to the fact that MA is a well know bassplayer.

CVH with MA was really great.

1..2....3...ummmmmm

I heard he is playing wil Sammy Roy and the Woogies?

GREAT!....bllllllllllBBBlllll..pffftttt grszzzzzzzz Blap Blap bBBBllll.......

Head Fluffer

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Slice it anyway you want to, MA came out a winner: several world tours, a shit load of cash, and I'm sure a hell of a lot of great memories.

Groupie
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Some additions and corrections:

Ed met Billy Sheehan during the 1980 WACF tour, kept in touch with him from then on and suggested Billy taking Mike's spot *prior* to the Fair Warning tour which he declined. This also ties in with some rumors that Eddie played bass on a few tracks on FW on late nighst when he and Don Landee worked alone in the studio without the rest of the band that may or may not have made the final versions of those respective songs. It may be that Eddie came up with bass parts and Mike simply copied them for whatever tracks may be in question.

In 1993 when Ray Danniels was brought in as the new manager, Mike's percentage in band profits was renegotiated and cut down below that of Danniels which could be considered the beginning of the true marginalization of Mike's role in Van Halen.

In 1996, Mike did *not* play bass on the two Roth tracks although he did sing back up vox.

In 2004 prior to the '04 reunion tour and in early 2006, Billy Sheehan was again approached to be the bass player in Van Halen which he again declined.

T.B.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Mike got canned from Van Halen because he started doing a shitty job of cleaning Ed's swimming pool and the bathrooms at 5150 were half assed clean thank's to Mike's shitty work ethic.
    No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

the juggernaut bitch
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Here is the real timeline

-Birth.
    R.I.P Van Halen 1978-1984

hopefully God will ressurect you

"i wont be messing with you in future.the fearsome redballjets88 for fear of you owning me some more" Axl S

" I liked Sammy Hagar " FORD

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by kamaboko
    Slice it anyway you want to, MA came out a winner: several world tours, a shit load of cash, and I'm sure a hell of a lot of great memories.

Don't forget the BBQ Sauce and offical duty of wripping Sammy's ass!

Builder of Sites
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by Redballjets88
    Here is the real timeline

-Birth.
    And your's could best be described as after birth

Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Don't forget:
    2009: Wolfgang starts dating his daughter.

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by Apocalypso
    Some additions and corrections:

Ed met Billy Sheehan during the 1980 WACF tour, kept in touch with him from then on and suggested Billy taking Mike's spot *prior* to the Fair Warning tour which he declined. This also ties in with some rumors that Eddie played bass on a few tracks on FW on late nighst when he and Don Landee worked alone in the studio without the rest of the band that may or may not have made the final versions of those respective songs. It may be that Eddie came up with bass parts and Mike simply copied them for whatever tracks may be in question.

In 1993 when Ray Danniels was brought in as the new manager, Mike's percentage in band profits was renegotiated and cut down below that of Danniels which could be considered the beginning of the true marginalization of Mike's role in Van Halen.

In 1996, Mike did *not* play bass on the two Roth tracks although he did sing back up vox.

In 2004 prior to the '04 reunion tour and in early 2006, Billy Sheehan was again approached to be the bass player in Van Halen which he again declined.

T.B.
    Interesting about the 1993 Daniels thing.

Also, wasn't Mike given writing credit for MWM and CGTSNM?? I thought he was. I'd have to check the CD.

I knew about Ed approaching Billy AGAIN in '06, though wasn't aware he did the same in '04.

Rice Cooker
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    3/16/1990: wolfgang is born...

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by knuckleboner
    3/16/1990: wolfgang is born...
    Correction: 3/16/1991.

Full On Cocktard

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Eddie also approached Jeff Berlin to play bass in Van Halen. Think it was around the Fair Warning period or slightly after.

Rice Cooker
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by Vinnie Velvet
    Correction: 3/16/1991.
    ok, how about:

6/16/1990, wolfgang van halen is conceived?...

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Shit, I'm a fairly avid strict CVH constructionist, and even I'M getting tired of them
    Scramby eggs and bacon.

Thread Information