Pre-Recorded Backing Vocals (Ed & Wolf's) Used?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nickdfresh
    SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Pre-Recorded Backing Vocals (Ed & Wolf's) Used?

MORE VAN HALEN YOU TUBE PREVIEWS:
    More Van Halen rehearsal footage. Gotta say...the guys look and sound fantastic. David Lee Roth looks like a 30 year old....good luck to the guys.
    There has been some debate and speculation about the backing vocals though - being as Michael Anthony is not involved. No his voice is not being piped in or used in any way. What I was told sometime back after the band ditched the idea of a backing vocalist hidden backstage, was that Eddie and Wolfgang Van Halen pre-recorded select backing vocals for use in a few vital spots, but otherwise vocals will all be handled on stage.
    Here are some more YouTube links to footage: www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AYGUtM3WMo / www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nc7FUj4TIQI / www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEzYmFa0Jfg / www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4HXia5QMHE / www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRokhdicywU.

Under Sept. 19, 2007 entries.
  • janarak
    Roadie
    • Aug 2004

Every one uses some sort of backing trickery now days.
    Dave sounds ace, better than he has for a long time.

Comment

• BrownSound1
      ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
      • Mar 2003

If they are, then I'd like to know if they purposely tracked some bad notes...cuz I've heard a few in some of the clips.

Comment

• janarak
        Roadie
        • Aug 2004

Fucked if I know much about pre recorded vocals. But cant they use triggers for certain points. Maybe they are singing but have drop in's to beef up the bigger choruses ???
        I thought the backing vocals were goods but not perfect , If it was all pre recorded you would expect it to be perfect.

Comment

• Ellyllions
          Veteran
          • Mar 2006

There is some definite Mike vocals being used.
          Listen how perfect the backing vocals are on "Somebody Get me a Doctor".

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Too perfect.

Honestly though, I don't care. It's so commonplace now-a-days especially in big venue shows. It's all about the sound and the show.
          "If our country is worth dying for in time of war let us resolve that it is truly worth living for in time of peace." - Hamilton Fish

Comment

• chi-town324
            Crazy Ass Mofo
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by BrownSound1
            If they are, then I'd like to know if they purposely tracked some bad notes...cuz I've heard a few in some of the clips.
            on beautiful girls i heard it

Comment

• Diamondjimi
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • May 2004

I don't believe it for a minute. Pure rubbish. I can't see Roth buying into the concept.
              Trolls take heed...LOG OUT & FUCK OFF!!!

Comment

• FORD
                ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

IF they were gonna used canned vocals at all, then they might as well sample some of Dave's screams from the old soundboards and mix those in.

But nothing sounded fake in those rehearsals to me. I think Andrew's trusting the wrong sources again.......

(yeah, big surprise, I know...)
                Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• rustoffa
                  ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                  • Jan 2004

Didn't Dave talk about this exact phenomenon on his radio show? I seem to remember a lengthy rant. Like how it's worse now than ever??? Yeah...he went into detail about technology making it way easier to use a "live" backing feed nowadays. Anybody else remember that??

Comment

• bantonelli
                    Crazy Ass Mofo
                    • Nov 2004

Originally posted by rustoffa
                    Didn't Dave talk about this exact phenomenon on his radio show? I seem to remember a lengthy rant. Like how it's worse now than ever??? Yeah...he went into detail about technology making it way easier to use a "live" backing feed nowadays. Anybody else remember that??
                    Yep! Dave had strong opinions on the pre-recorded
                    "Milli-Vanilli - style" used these days and how you would not hear it on his tour. He believed in the authenticity of the vocals on stage and the imperfections that go along with it. With that said, assuming he feels the same, it won't happen. BUT, if the background vocals in some songs are added, it's not the end of the world.
                    "Meet us in the Future.....NOT the Pasture".......DLR, August '07, VH Press Conference - Tour '07-'08

Comment

• singerman
                      Head Fluffer
                      • Jan 2004

The only thing i can think of is that it could be a Digitech vocal harmonisor,it follows the guitar chords so it 'knows' what key the song is in,when the vocalist sings it know which harmony to throw in! you can have it set to do four part hamonies!,its pretty amazing what can be done these days

Comment

• VAiN
                        Use my hand, I won't look
                        ROCKSTAR

• Nov 2006

Originally posted by singerman
                        The only thing i can think of is that it could be a Digitech vocal harmonisor,it follows the guitar chords so it 'knows' what key the song is in,when the vocalist sings it know which harmony to throw in! you can have it set to do four part hamonies!,its pretty amazing what can be done these days
                        It would not surprise if VH has used this in the past.... especially in the later tours. I've often thought it sounded too thick for 2 guys singing. I don't really care though.
                        Originally posted by wiseguy
                        That shit will welcome you in the morning and pour the milk in your count chocula for ya.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                          SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by BrownSound1
                          Maybe they just can't sing worth a fuck?

Comment

• janarak
                            Roadie
                            • Aug 2004

Were gonna find out soon enough, The 27th is close enough to touch !

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                              SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by rustoffa
                              Yeah. I think he mentioned something about going to a 1977 Pink Floyd concert and coming to the realization that he was hearing a tape, or something to that affect - which would be a drastic overstatement...

Comment

Working...