Clear All
  • Va Beach VH Fan
    ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    • Dec 2003

The Official Worcester 11/6 Meetup/Review Thread

New date announced....

VA
    Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth
  • Va Beach VH Fan
    ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    • Dec 2003

Bump for WAR, who is apparently unable to hit the "2" button on the lower right hand side of the screen to display this thread....

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• tjvhou812
      Full Member Status

• Mar 2004

3 shows all around me...life is sweet
      Originally posted by RIKK

Now, tj was indeed a major cunt. Indeed, he probably still is.

Comment

• Warham
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Mar 2004

I need your help, VA.

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
          ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
          • Dec 2003

Sticky, T minus one week....

Comment

• Dave's PA Rental
            Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Three-times the Van Halen in a little over a month for me...

Life is pretty sweet for me...but FUCK im tired...
            Maybe this is what a heroine addict feels like after getting a long awaited fix, shooting up in the corner of some abandoned building and just not giving a fuck about what the rest of the world thinks...TATTOO"

Comment

• DLR'sCock
              Crazy Ass Mofo
              • Jan 2004

Have a blast Dave's PA!

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                • Dec 2003

I sure as fuck hope they fix the damn sound issues for tonight's show...

Comment

• Carmine
                  ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                  • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
                  I sure as fuck hope they fix the damn sound issues for tonight's show...
                  Agreed.

...or at least, bolted down the monitors.

:p

Comment

• arastar
                    Groupie
                    • Feb 2004

So...

I know I don't post here often, mainly for posting pictures I've taken or reviewing Dave/Vh shows. So don't flame me for what I'm gonna say and if you're in doubt of which version of VH I like, check my pictures and review of the Boston show.

Just back from Worcester. This was (in my opinion) a totally differant vibe from Boston. Dave sounded good but a bit horse at times. Eddie changed his location and no longer is using the failed monitor from the night before. He's now up front of the stage.

There was barely any interaction between Dave and Ed. No hug's, no high fives. They seemed cordial towards each other at best.

Eddie's playing had a LOT to be desired. Dave even f'd up and not the typical "I forgot the fucking words" thing.

Anyway, still a great rock and roll show....but you could tell it was an off night. These things will happen and at their age they are still putting on the best show in the industry.

Ok, I'm done. Curious what some of the others thing.

Comment

• Deklon
                      Roadie
                      • Jul 2007

Just back from Worcester, my third show. That last review was being kind. I felt Boston was an A+, Worcester was a D at best. There is no question Ed was hammered. HIs movements showed it, his face showed it, and sadly, his playing was Jeckyl and Hyde. Just like 2004.
                      Yes it's still Van Hale at times....some songs were just phenominal, and others almost unlistenable.

There were many mistakes, mostly Ed, some Dave, none for Wolf and Alex that I heard. Ed needed to be carried all night, His drunkenness definitely brought the rest of the band down, and eventually the crowd. Honest to God, Cathedral must have been 4 hours long. A guy next to me actually yelled "Great Ed, you can move the volumn knob". At least three sections heard him. There were times when he was moving his fingers but nothing was coming out. Bad sound? No....he was missing the strings.

Ed also rarely faced the crowd and talked to someone side stage all night. He stood with Al a lot too. Al had to pull him away from the mike when Ed was about to speak.

Wolf smiled about three times all night. He sure seemed like he was annoyed/saddened by his father.

So This is Love was so bad, I figured Ed's guitar was WAYYY out of tune. Nope, used it right away on the next song and it sounded right again. Jamie would definitely be crying if she saw Ed play her song tonight. Absolutely not even playing the same song.

This could be the beginning of the end or just a slip and/or a bad night. But I think you'll start see future reviews focused on what's wrong with Ed.

You could still have been there tonight had had a great time and thought the band rocked. That I understand. But if you're someone who focused more on the playing than the song, you were pissed and left with a bad feeling.

Oh, and Ed wore a black rolled-up long sleeve black shirt (for the first time)and white cargo pants. Ed(when he remembered) and Wolf sang all live backups with no enhancements. And Wolf is truly a good bass player. Lots of close-ups of him, he was playing and playing well.

Comment

• ben halen
                        Head Fluffer
                        • Jan 2005

What a difference a week makes!!!

Boston show was spot-on!!!

The first half tonight was pretty good.

Ed fucked up Little Guitars, and pretty much every song thereafter. Instead of playing fast runs, he just bends notes and "fakes" it- kinda like I do when I try to play VH. Solo was a mess. Couldn't get his volume right for Women In Love or Cathedral, and couldn't get the harmonics to sound good on Women In Love. Shrugged his shoulders a lot, and when it was over, said something like, "I was just fuckin' off".

I thought Dave was excellent. He forgot some words, but he held a lot of impressive long notes, and did his scream a lot. They brought back the "Shoobeedoowah" part in I'm The One.

Alex is a monster!

Wolf was steady all night.

They're basically carrying Ed, as he's the weak link.
                        HEY NOW!

Comment

• Dave's PA Rental
                          Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

It was an off night.

I agree that Boston was an A+, and Worcester was a D.

What a difference a week makes.

I do not think that Ed was drunk. He was having an off night. Would you guys agree with me that the solo was really good? I think that it was. There were spots where it seemed like he forgot what song he was playing...

Dave did sound a bit hoarse tonight...

I saw interaction between Dave and Eddie...it was all good. Dave busted Eddies balls at one point...it was early in the set, I forget which song, but Eddie had just butchered part of it and Dave says something like "Come on man, even a dog finds a warm spot on a sidewalk"...

Dave knew that Eddie was having a rough night...it happens.

I managed to sneak my video camera in and got about 35 minutes of video...my buddy got the whole show on audio...preliminary listen on the way home...not the best audio, but not the worst either...

Video probably wont be worth posting, as some fucking 60 year old DCU security douche kept coming over and standing RIGHT FUCKING NEXT TO ME...so it's real choppy...lots of starts and stops...maybe, we'll see...

Boston was so good...so on top of their game...tonight, not so much.
                          Maybe this is what a heroine addict feels like after getting a long awaited fix, shooting up in the corner of some abandoned building and just not giving a fuck about what the rest of the world thinks...TATTOO"

Comment

• Dave's PA Rental
                            Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

ben halen stole my line...

Comment

• ben halen
                              Head Fluffer
                              • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Dave's PA Rental
                              ben halen stole my line...
                              Sorry, dude.

Hey, wait a second...
                              HEY NOW!

Comment

Working...