Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Ultimate Review Thread - Take Notes

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    It was a pleasure throwing down some beers with Plexi-Brown
    Thanks Pojo! It was a good time! Yesterday was a reminder of what Van Halen with Dave is all about. It was a pleasure drinking a few with you too.
    Last edited by PlexiBrown; 09-30-2007 at 06:13 PM.
    And God heard the voice of the lad. Then the angel of God called to Hagar out of heaven, and said to her, “What ails you, Hagar? Genesis 21:17

Proud Ford Owner
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Pojo, I'm glad you changed your mind and went to the show. It sounds like the Roth Army was well represented.

AWESOME!

Cheers to all that went, and thanks for the reviews.

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Part 6: THE SHIRT

Here's a surreal moment, and if you are checking out the show...check it out for yourself. It looks like being a VH fan in the 70's and 80's paid off. In the parking lot, the cars sure as fuck have changed from banked up GTO's and Camaros...

I saw Beamers, BMW's, Mercedes, a Jag, a bunch of Lexus' and two Vettes. That was just on the way from where we were parked...there was half a lot that we didn't even see.

I was also a bit taken with the variety of fans. You had a slew of people varying in age from their 50's and 60's...to their teens. There were a bunch of Dad's bringing their kids to show their sons that Rock and Roll THEN was much better than NOW...except for Then COULD BE Now...

Oh Yeah...the shirt...

Va Beach decided to squeeze his ass into his 1984 tour shirt.

I want to say it was this shirt...but I truly didn't pay all that much attention to it...although I was probably the only one on the planet.

So...we start walking around, looking for a pisser. We find one, and it's like the WOMEN'S Rest room at every major sporting event in the country...lined out the door from the overconsumption of booze.

Then...it began...

Up Comes Redneck Bob...

"Yo'dere! Is dat dere shirt the real deal, whowee, I had one of dem dere shirts myself. I cn't fit in me shirt do...whowee, good to see dat shert!"

He went on...and on...and on...

Chripes...he just needed to add a dowa' or a jaeat to make it complete.

As we walked around the building...you would have thought that VaBeach was a fucking Victoria's Secret model. I saw more dude's head's snap to look at his shirt, as I would have had if I had a naked Elle MacPherson walking next to me. No offense Va...but I'd pick Elle every fucking time...

Yeah, the girls were interested as well. I stopped to look at NEW shirts, and I look over to Va...who's waiting in a corner next to one end of the arena...and the next thing I know...she flashing her tits at him. No, we didn't get to nipple...but we got fucking close. When I asked him what the fuck was going on...when I got over there...he told me she was going to show her ample rack for the shirt...

Va still has the shirt...she got pissed the hell off...DAMN YOU VA!

In all seriousness, there was such a freakin' cross section of hot women...of all ages...It was dumbfounding...

Then there was fucking Fabio...with the feathered mullet straight out of the 70's. He had on a new tour shirt...with the sleaves cut off. Who knew that Fabio was A VAN HALEN FAN. GO FABIO YOU FAGGOT! Talk about ridiculous.

This is also where Vain became known as the fly on the wall...that motherfucker WAS EVERYFUCKINGWHERE!

Yeah, there was even a Shambone Hagarolio lookalike...with a grean beachcomer shirt...long, nappy, curly hair...

yeah...nice look Red Rocker Revoloser...

It was 8:30...and time to head into the arena...
    "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

®oth A®my f®an©hise ?laya
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    For those that met up - glad you all had fun.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Part 7: Pre-Game Show

I have got to tell you...there was some serious buzz in the arena. It was in the concourse, and boy...I can't even tell you the sound in the arena. It was jammed packed, and the anticipation was unbelievable.

Of course, there was the VH blimp flying all over the place. Once we were in our seats, I called Fairwrning...and got his locale. He still didn't want to change seats...but to let you know the noise...I couldn't hear him from that 'buzz.'

It was electric...everyone was pumped. There were some couples all around Va and myself...which was a bit odd for a Roth show...but like I said...this crowd was a cross section OF EVERYONE.

At about 8:40, they started running sound checks from Wolfie's side...and the damn crowd started going crazy...

and there was Va...next to me...yawning in anticipation. You yawning bastard. I don't know if he saw someone yawning...or what the fuck...but the next thing I know...half the rows around me are yawning...surreal...because I was lit with anticipation, as they unveiled the setup. Remember...I knew NOTHING about it. There was a Mammoth screen in the background...with an S-Shape portion of stage that started behind Al's drum kid, about 20-feet high...and snaked down to the floor, and out into the crowd, so that VH could roll out into the crowd.

The crowd was getting louder, and of course...the every three minute sound-check was creating a sort of frenzy.

I had a nice view of the girl in front of me...who just had the biggest boobers I had ever seen...which made me revisit how HOT most of the women were there, but that's beside the point...VH...

At 8:50, we noticed that there was smoke or steam blowing out of some of the sound and light boards...I'm sure they were supposed to do that...but hell...it made me think it was all part of what was to come. Nobody was paying attention to the smoke...

Then the lights went down...

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by POJO_Risin
    Part 7: Pre-Game Showand there was Va...next to me...yawning in anticipation. You yawning bastard. I don't know if he saw someone yawning...or what the fuck...but the next thing I know...half the rows around me are yawning...surreal...because I was lit with anticipation, as they unveiled the setup.
    ROFLMFAO !!!!

I knew it !!! I knew you were writing that shit down....
    Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

LIGHT EM UP!!
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    your on a roll Pojo...stop so i can go make some popcorn

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Don't worry...I'll finish this...lmfao...

but Va...I'm on like page three of my notes...I have like forty more pages to get through...

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    This is a cool thread! I so wish I'd been there.

®oth A®my f®an©hise ?laya
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Talking

but Va...I'm on like page three of my notes...I have like forty more pages to get through...
    Notes are useful... especially when one may have had a little too much to drink...:p

G'night and happy writing!

Use my hand, I won't look
    ____Van Fuckin' Halen____
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Hey guys,

Great to meet you all... I'm listening to the show now... great times!
    Quote Originally Posted by wiseguy View Post
    That shit will welcome you in the morning and pour the milk in your count chocula for ya.

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Part 8: THE SHOW

The lights are down...there's a fucking half-assed curtain that's covering about 25% of the stage...VH is about to come on...

and someone holds up their fucking cell phone, and I see, two rows in front of me, these two douchebags with 5150 shirts. You have got to be kidding me. Of course, according to those 'in the know,' those fans are the REAL VH Fans! Yeah...I just threw up a bit in my mouth too...

Then...and this is within about two seconds...I start thinking...hmmmm...no Eddie Chant...that's a first...

Then...like two seconds later...there's the Eddie chant...

and two seconds after that...

The guitar screech...and there's Eddie...looking fucking awesome...

The crowd went absolutely fucking balistic (sidebar...the place was packed more full than I had ever seen it, and I saw Kiss/Aerosmith there) As the Curtain goes up, and the lights come up...there's Roth...standing at the top of the S with the Red Flag...waving it back and forth...

as Eddie shreds into "You Really Got Me," there's an immediate energy...it's immediate.

Va actually turned around and said he couldn't hear Dave because of the crowd...

the place was fucking frenzied...and Dave came down, and immediately went over and started playing off of Ed...back and forth...

I made a point to look over at Wolfie...and he was doing his thing. I immediately thought...he doesn't fit...but did notice that he could play...

I also noted that Wolfie was playing a base painted like Frank...

So...Ed Solos in You Really Got Me...and this douchebag with the 5150 shirt immediately does the Samass 5150 halen sign with his hands. I tried to spit on him...not sure if I made it though in the dark...

Ed and Dave spent the whole song, for the most part, throwing the smiles back and forth...and truth be told...I couldn't tell how true it was...yet...

I did notice that Eddie was back. You could tell...there was some fire there...

He then went right INTO 'I'm the One," just after patting Dave on the back...

So...at the part in I'm the One where Dave rolls with, "Honey, I'm the One...the one you love...c'mon baby show your love...HAAAAAIIIIIII..."

He flat fucking nails that scream...flat out fucking drops it down like it's 1975. And that's when I realized that I'd never heard Dave THAT good...the register wasn't lower by any stretch. He was hitting notes he hasn't hit in 15 years....

So just as I'm getting goosebumps...

the music stops...flat fucking stops...

David Walked over to Eddie...gets side-by-side...and they both bow together...I glance at Wolfie...who bowed late...it was kinda funny. Anyways...Dave and Eddie bowed...then hugged...which was planned...and the place went fucking nuts...and got louder...and louder...and louder...

Dave had Cheese smile on his face...and Eddie was smiling...then it happened...and it was legit...Dave's face cracked...just for a second...but it cracked. I can't explain it...you have to know the cheese face to get it...and he was tearing up...Eddie had to put his hands up to his face...

What a fucking moment...

Then they shredded into the rest of the song...

and as it ended...Wolfie hauled up the S to the top, and stood up top and started hammering out 'Running With the Devil...'

Dave rolled out the Red Mat Hatter hat as Wolfie rolled down to his mic, where his Dad met him, and they were singing on the same mic...

Ed rolled back over to his side, and started singing with Dave right up to the solo...when Dave growled..."Sing it Eddie..." Then Dave put the red hat on Eddie...and it went completely over his eyes...hilarious...and Ed kept it on...and looked utterly ridiculous...

The song ended...and for the first time..., they stopped...I was out of breath...so was the crowd...

more in my next post...

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    So...Ed Solos in You Really Got Me...and this douchebag with the 5150 shirt immediately does the Samass 5150 halen sign with his hands. I tried to spit on him...not sure if I made it though in the dark...
    Man....you just made me spit iced tea all over my monitor!

Sheep Pen Kiwi
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Damn,This Thread Is Great.
    First Roth Army Kiwi To See Van Halen Live 6/16/2012 Phoenix Arizona.

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by PlexiBrown
    Look...Plexi...

I would have leapt over the big-tittied girl in front of me...onto the 5150 fucks...I even had the springboard off the 34DDDD planned...then realized I'd rather rub them then jump on them...then realized I'd miss the show if I did either...

such is life...

Not done talking about the titties...

or the 5150 dudes...

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    When I was walking toward the arena there were these two guys outside of their car listening to Van Hagar. I will bet that these are the same guys that you are talking about.

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Guys...the rest of the review will have to get put up tomorrow...

there's a lot to it...

and I'm fucking beat...

Veteran

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    You know - about the hug being "planned" - I'm not sure I agree with
    that. It seemed spontanious and genuine to me. And if my memory
    serves correctly, they did not hug in Charlotte.

You're doing a great job describing the audience "frenzy", Pojo. Its
    hard to put it to words but I have never seen anything like it at any
    concert I have attended (and I've seen a few). I'm sure I am not the
    only one talking like Peter Brady when his voice changed today! I
    yelled my fucking head off the entire night. But when they went in for
    that hug - the audience just went bonkers. It must have been louder
    than anything coming from the stage that night.

Last edited by Hyman Roth; 10-01-2007 at 01:00 AM.
    Trollidillo-T

Vamos dar um jeito!
    Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by Hyman Roth
    You're doing a great job describing the audience "frenzy", Pojo. Its
    hard to put it to words but I have never seen anything like it at any
    concert I have attended (and I've seen a few).
    It was beyond amazing! I can't stop thinking about it. And this is only the beginning! This tour is only 2 dates old!

Vamos dar um jeito!
    Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

...then it happened...and it was legit...Dave's face cracked...just for a second...but it cracked. I can't explain it...you have to know the cheese face to get it...and he was tearing up...Eddie had to put his hands up to his face...
    Everyone saw it on the video screen. It was emotion on the grandest of scales. Very powerful!

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    From laughing, that is.

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by Hyman Roth
    You're doing a great job describing the audience "frenzy", Pojo. Its hard to put it to words but I have never seen anything like it at any
    concert I have attended (and I've seen a few).
    The only other concert that I've been too that was that nuts, ironically enough, was VH in San Diego, '84.... Obviously I attributed that to the VH-backyard Southern California crowd...

But that crowd during that first four songs was un-fucking-believable....

=OWWWWWWWWW=
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Not to interrupt, but I have to say to the Special Red Olympian 5150 fucks and the Bette Midler Protest Society members...
    Last edited by VanHalener; 10-01-2007 at 09:27 AM.
    ~Only you can prevent low volume~

ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Just awesome!
    Roth Army Canada

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    A great read Pojo, I can't wait to experience it all in a few hours!

hitchworld1969
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I'm at a loss for words.

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by WARF
    I'm at a loss for words.
    Shit, he's just getting started...

hitchworld1969
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I fucking hate having to sit here drooling all over my keyboard, waiting for pojo to complete his review.

Rice Cooker
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Look...Plexi...

I would have leapt over the big-tittied girl in front of me...onto the 5150 fucks...I even had the springboard off the 34DDDD planned...then realized I'd rather rub them then jump on them...then realized I'd miss the show if I did either...

such is life...

Not done talking about the titties...

or the 5150 dudes...
    i don't care how fucking drunk or excited you are, POJ, you do NOT rub 5150 dudes...

Mind-Roaster
    Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    yeah, that moment was real... anyone who was there knows it

Hyman, my voice is toast, too

oh, and during RWTD, I think that's when Dave shoved the hat down over Eddie's eyes and told him to do it "Stevie Wonder style"
    David Lee Roth's the greatest motherfucker who ever lived!
    — Brian Moore (@brianpmoore666) June 26, 2012

Mind-Roaster
    Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Part 3: Big Dogs

damngoodtimes--DGT is a DDLR member...but ventures over here on occasion. He's from my hometown...and we spent the afternoon throwing down about Ohio Sports...like we do in the forums. Yeah, we talked some VH...DGT had gone to the Charlotte show...so I had to shut him the fuck up about it so he wouldn't fuck with my clear head. Good guy...hoping to see him venture to the Army a bit more.
    pojo, thanks for the kind words. it's kind of funny, cause I thought you were an asshole!!!

good to meet you man, look forward to seeing the rest of your write-up! in all seriousness, I wasn't sure about heading over to Greensboro after the trip from Atlanta to Charlotte on Thursday. in a way, it seemed unnecessary and almost certain to be a letdown. but getting to hang out with all of you guys became a real highlight of a phenomenal weekend.

Oh, and pojo, send me those sports links when you get a chance (go Tribe).

Mind-Roaster
    Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    and the show was definitely NOT a letdown, btw

Veteran

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by damngoodtimes
    pojo, thanks for the kind words. ...I thought you were an asshole!!!...

hmmm...I'm sorry I missed you on Saturday. I guess you didn't introduce yourself by your username. I was looking for you.

Mind-Roaster
    Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    yeah, man... we talked. I thought I gave my name to everyone.

I was sitting next to pojo out on the patio. "it ain't VH..." t-shirt

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I remember you!
    "If our country is worth dying for in time of war let us resolve that it is truly worth living for in time of peace." - Hamilton Fish

Mind-Roaster
    Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    actually, I guess I was next to VaBeach.

shit there was beer involved, it's fuzzy.

I was staring into the sun talking to pojo most of the afternoon, until my dumb ass decided to slide into the shade; that much I do remember

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Part 8a: THE FUCKING SHOW

Alright...so they stop...

finally...and the crowd fucking erupted again...

I mean...You Really Got Me...I'm the One...Running With the Devil...

Now, Va and I had been singing the entire time...I had a headache already from yelling...I'm already drained...AND IT'S BEEN THREE FUCKING SONGS...

Then Dave swaggers over to the middle of the stage, looks out to the crowd...the lights come up, and he screams...

"LOOK AT ALL THE PEOPLE HERE TONIGHT...YEAH..."

And man...you thought the fucking show was buzzing before...bam...the saying that most people think as an afterthought at this point...the place erupted...

then Dave pauses...and he voice cracking...he says..."YOU HAVE NO IDEA, WHAT AN HONOR, OR A PRIVELEDGE IT IS TO BE HERE TONIGHT"

I was speachless. For five years, I've been pissed off...utterly pissed off that these fuckers didn't give a flying fuck about the fans...and in one statement...you fucking realize that they DO give a shit about the fans...

The crowd went off...and before you could catch your fucking breath from that, bam...Romeo Delight, and Dave starts rolling into the Karate that he continued the rest of the night.

Eddie and Wolfie were rolling together...and BOTH were finger tapping...it's also the first time I noticed Ed's low-top Chuck Taylor's.

Dave walked over to Wolfie's side during Romeo Delight while they were singing...and keeps looking over at Wolfie...and says..."This is called building tension..."

To show off Wolfie a bit...and he hit every note with Dave...

As the song finished off...Dave grabbed the harmonica...and a megaphone...and started playing the harmonica into the megaphone. As Ed rips into Somebody Get Me a Doctor...Dave...and I don't know how many folks heard it...but he started playing the siren off the megaphone...I was laughing my ass off...because you could see Dave was just fucking around...laughing HIS ass off...

In the middle of the tune...again...Dave and Ed meet in the middle of the stage...and Dave starts singing...with Ed matching his singing...they had done it earlier...in You Really Got me...

Here we were...at the fifth song...and I was already thinking this was, if not the BEST show I'd been too...the most FUN I'd had at a show...I couldn't cheer...because I was laughing so damn hard watching Ed and fucking Dave play off each other...it was magic...me wise magic I suppose you could say...

I want to predicate the next portion...by telling you that I'm not a fan of Dance the Night Away...which they played next...but now I see why the fucking played it.

Like Running With the Devil...the fans jumped right into it...and were singing it word for word...

Dave went right to Eddie's side...again...and had a yellow and black Mad Hatter hat. Dave walked up to the front of the stage...and sticks the black hat on his dick...and there was some kinda rigging or something...because Dave let go of the hat...and it stayed right there...on his dick...

Glad my girl wasn't there...

anyways...Dave is fucking posing with the hat on his dick...making muscle poses...funny shit. Wolfie had run behind him, and they finished the song, after some lyric play with the crowd.

At the start of the Atomic Punk, they had the Eddie Cam rolling, and Eddie was shredding. Here's the thing folks. When you've seen Eddie as much as I have...you know when he's playing, or just dialing it in. Folks, he was playing. The energy was unfuckingbelievable from Ed. He was fucking feeling it...you know...mouth moving with every note...but his body was just vibrating with the music...as he played...it's hard to explain...but if any of you have seen Ed dial it in (anything in the past 6 years), you could tell...it was back.

I don't know if it's been sobriety...or Dave...or both...but Ed's back folks...

Ed's fucking back.

You all know that I haven't called Ed...Ed in years...I'm done with all that...

Welcome back Eddie...Welcome back...

Professional Smartass
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Much appreciated POJ... (and everyone else)..

Keep em coming!!
    ROTH ARMY MILITIA

Originally posted by EAT MY ASSHOLE
    Sharky sometimes needs things spelled out for him in explicit, specific detail. I used to think it was a lawyer thing, but over time it became more and more evident that he's merely someone's idiot twin.

hitchworld1969
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    It must have been a surreal experience... like watching a ghost from the past.

hitchworld1969
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    It must have been a surreal experience... like watching a ghost from the past.

And watching Wolfie onstage... I mean could imagine being 16 and playing onstage with DAVID LEE FUCKING ROTH?!?!

Here's a dude who went from being spotted at a Britney Spears concert... and the little baby of Valerie Bertinelli... to the fucking bass player for Van Halen!

Could you imagine the fucking pressure. Does he even realize how much this music means to the REAL fans.

We're Talking about a kid who wasn't even alive when "A Little Ain't Enough" came out.

Thread Information