X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • POJO_Risin
    Roth Army Caesar
    • Mar 2003

Roth Rocks Charlotte and GreensborO

Hyman Roth meets with the Godfather of the Army, POJO_RisinFor Immediate Fucking Release
    ROTHTOBER 1, 2007
    (UPI)From the Roth Army World Headquarters in Hell, Michigan

DAVID LEE ROTH AND VAN HALEN ROCKS CHARLOTTE AND GREENSBORO, NORTH CAROLINA

A FIRST PERSON ACCOUNT FROM ROTH ARMY CORRESPONDANT, HYMAN ROTH

I had the pure enjoyment of witnessing history in Greensboro and Charlotte, North Carolina, at the opening shows of the 2007 Van Halen tour. I lucked out making generous friends on this very message board and in my life outside of it that knew how much these remarkable concerts meant to me and made sure that I was there – even when it looked like and I believed that the hottest shows in the world were already sold out and I had missed the boat. (Thank you Carmine, Dave and Mary Ellen).

I can’t adequately describe in words how astonishing the performances were at these two concerts so I will not even try. I will say that I saw two very different shows and each was equally stunning. For the opening night in Charlotte the band was tight as could be and obviously well-rehearsed. Although clearly moved by the audience reaction and playing with emotion, I detected the slightest nervous tension on the stage only because the musicians, as musicians, primarily wanted to make sure the music was perfect the first time the band played out with its rightful singer in 23 years. The emphasis was on getting the performance right and making sure the songs were performed as flawlessly as possible. They accomplished this in a major way as most have now heard on the unofficial releases that are starting circulate.

In contrast, the band just let go and soared in Greensboro. They took a lot of risks and most of them paid off in spades. There was absolutely no nervousness and everybody was much more relaxed. Even Wolfie (who sounded great, by the way) took a lap around the golden circle very early in the show slapping high fives with the audience when the bass line would come to rest.

Ed absolutely loved sharing the stage with his son and this must have inspired him to throw caution to the wind with his playing. There were some moments of very real brilliance coming from Ed’s guitar last night. He took extensive liberties with the arrangements and recorded guitar parts - there were extra solos at the ends of songs, measures were spontaneously added to the music to give him room to flex and if Ed felt like going in a different direction, he didn’t give it a second thought; he just played from his heart. To be sure, a few of these chances Ed took ended up in flubs and sour notes – but as musicians, most of us know this is necessary to the process of virtuosity and that it is even more a privilege to witness spontaneous musical genius.

Yet there can be no mistake about it – Dave was the star of the show. He succeeded in reaching each and every person in the auditorium from the lucky bastards in the front to the people that got stuck in the worst seats in the house. And he didn’t just reach people – he moved them significantly. He moved this humble listener to tears within 30 seconds of taking the stage and there is no longer any room for doubt among some that “it ain’t Van Halen without David Lee Roth”.

His performance was absolutely genuine: Dave was genuinely happy to be performing; he was genuinely happy to be singing for Van Halen again, finally; and, he was genuinely elated with the sheer adulation from the audience that was rightfully earned each night. The man sang with passion and precision. He sang his heart out. He sang so damn good and with such strength and conviction that I am a little concerned if his larynx can keep up with his enthusiasm for the entire tour! He was really pushing himself and singers have to take such special care with their instrument.

But perhaps the best part of the experience was sharing it with great people I would never have had the chance to meet if I didn’t post at the Roth Army. Let’s face it a message board is a poor substitute for a face to face conversation. People make this world go around, not fiber optics and computer chips. But the message board provides a point of contact for people all over the world that have the same passions and is an excellent tool for initiating good face to face relationships and conversations if we only take the initiative. I will take the initiative to maintain the relationships we fostered meeting for these shows and to meet even more of you great people – face to face. Roth the fuck ON!!
    "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."
  • Hyman Roth
    Veteran
    • Nov 2006

LMAO - well...I am many things but a concert reviewer I am not! Thanks for the mamaries, y'all.
    Trollidillo-T

Comment

• Panamark
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Jan 2004

Awesome !!

I got shivers just reading that..
      Man, if you were given a choice of which
      show to go to, it would be a hard choice.

The historical first, or one where they relax
      more and just let it rip.. ??

Lucky for you, you got both !

From all of us Halenites on the other side of the
      pond, thanks Pojo and everyone that posts these
      reviews. Its fucking great to hear it from a real fans
      perspective.. The excitement of Dave and Ed again
      is infectious, and you can tell from every review,
      video and recording that we are receiving..

Dave is back home, and Ed has forgiven..

Sounds like Wolf is fittin right into the picture too..
      (Great to hear !)

I cant wait !

Cool review dude !
      BABY PANA 2 IS Coming !! All across the land, let the love and beer flow !
      Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• jharp84
        Veteran
        • Mar 2004

I'll tell ya what! The "comedown" is gonna suck until "new" music! But then again after 22 years I am goin' off the rails here!

Comment

• damngoodtimes
          Sniper
          • Jan 2004

great review, Hyman.

and nice meeting you (even if you didn't realize it)

not to detract at all from Greensboro (which was made so much the better via the Fat Dog's experience), but opening fuckin' night was just so special for the historical impact.

and the extra nerves from the band that you talk about...they were so real and so palpable that it really added to the experience for me.

it was the first damn show and EVERYBODY knew it.
          David Lee Roth's the greatest motherfucker who ever lived!
          — Brian Moore (@brianpmoore666) June 26, 2012

Comment

• TVGUY
            Head Fluffer
            • Feb 2007

Great review Hyman... It's been several days since the show and my voice still has not recovered from singing at the top of my lungs on every single song!! I hope they come back this way again soon.
            Three time witness to the comeback of the MIGHTY VAN HALEN. And then they faded back into obscurity.

Comment

• Carmine
              ROTH ARMY SUPREME
              • Apr 2004

Re: David Lee Roth and Van Halen Rocks Greensboro

[i]DAVID LEE ROTH AND VAN HALEN ROCKS CHARLOTTE AND GREENSBORO, NORTH CAROLINA

A FIRST PERSON ACCOUNT FROM ROTH ARMY CORRESPONDANT, HYMAN ROTH

I had the pure enjoyment of witnessing history in Greensboro and Charlotte, North Carolina, at the opening shows of the 2007 Van Halen tour. I lucked out making generous friends on this very message board and in my life outside of it that knew how much these remarkable concerts meant to me and made sure that I was there – even when it looked like and I believed that the hottest shows in the world were already sold out and I had missed the boat. (Thank you Carmine, Dave and Mary Ellen).[/B]

Roth on brother, Hyman....ROTH THE FUCK ON!

Comment

• jero
                Crazy Ass Mofo
                • Jan 2004

Hyman,

You Roth!

Comment

• michelle
                  Roth Army Recruit
                  • Dec 2006

reply to DLR

please advise if u will appear in Seatlle. Portland, or Syringa, ID.

Comment

Working...