Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you have faith in Ed ability to "bring it" with new original music?

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Question Do you have faith in Ed ability to "bring it" with new original music?

I know many of you have differing opinions on the current vitalilty of Ed's playing. My opinion is that Ed's working off the rust and will get better.
    But, as I said to Elvis in another thread, I get the feeling that Ed no longer practices the guitar on a regular basis. I think this is key. If you remember that 1982 phone interview that was posted here a few months ago, Ed said it takes him 2 or 3 hours of practicing/playing to come up with anything good. I just hope we don't all wait for an original album and Ed's creativity is on the level of the VH3 nightmare. Do you have faith in him at this point?

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    He should be able to pull something.

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I have plenty of doubt...

But if he get's off his ass, stays clean and plays guitar, he still has more to wow us with...

Roth Army Recruit

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I think this tour will result in an album. In 2-3 months these guys will be so ready to capture the magic they have pulled out for these shows, and put it down on tape. I have no doubt Edward has many tricks left up his sleeve and this union is just the perfect thing to reinvigorate he and the others. Wolf is the glue, so if he is up for it, it will happen.

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by PSYCHOVHFAN
    Wolf is the glue,
    Did you hear that Elvis?

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Yeah...I heard it...

I've said before that without Wolf this whole "reunion" thing would not be happening...

But as far as live, Van Halen needs a little more "glue"...

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by ELVIS

But if he get's off his ass, stays clean and plays guitar, he still has more to wow us with...

I think that about sums it up. If Ed's prepared to put in the effort, I'm sure that he can still make decent music.
    The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

DILLIGAF?
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Re: Do you have faith in Ed ability to "bring it" with new original music?

Originally posted by Hummarstra
    I know many of you have differing opinions on the current vitalilty of Ed's playing. My opinion is that Ed's working off the rust and will get better.
    But, as I said to Elvis in another thread, I get the feeling that Ed no longer practices the guitar on a regular basis. I think this is key. If you remember that 1982 phone interview that was posted here a few months ago, Ed said it takes him 2 or 3 hours of practicing/playing to come up with anything good. I just hope we don't all wait for an original album and Ed's creativity is on the level of the VH3 nightmare. Do you have faith in him at this point?
    I for one, am fairly skeptical regarding the viability, or even probability of new tracks from this line up. Assuming the tour remains a continued success, I'm certain that they'll have no trouble getting on board with a new major label.... but will said tracks have long term vitality?? Hopefully they'll be able to duplicate what Mariah Carey & Universal (please pardon the fucked-up analogy..) were able to do after she was dumped by EMI.

In regards to Ed's practicing regularly, I don't think there have been many days EVER, when he hasn't jammed for several hours minimum*, daily... He's never been a social person, and is obviously introverted to a somewhat troublesome degree. Ed's said many times that he communicates much better with an instrument than he does with people... Drunk, sober, stoned or loaded... the guy play's the fuck out of the guitar...

*As fucked up as he was at Fender's NAMM show in January, he answered a friend of mine's (who happened to attended..) question about how often he played - Ed said there hasn't been a day in recent memory that he hasn't played for at least a few hours -- most more than that, and I certainly believe him. Even as drunk as he was a number of times, the fucker still clipped all the correct harmonics!! I know he fucked up sometimes as well, but just check out the NAMM video -- he's obviously fairly inebriated here......

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/sIr-WBZT1MI"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/sIr-WBZT1MI" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>
    CVH LIVE (OAK/SF) '78, '79(X2), '80(X2) +MOR, '81(X3), '82, USFest '83, '84 & 2007!

http://www.hellsangelsmcoakland.com/...Support-V2.jpg

"God rest the souls of that poor family... and pussy's half price for the next 15 minutes." Al Swearengen

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I just find it hard to believe that Ed practices much anymore. And Ed contradicted what your friend said in an interview during Sam years when he said he hadn't picked up the guitar in a long time until they started to write and record. I don't remember what year this was, but I read it myself. Maybe this tour will give him the inspiration he needs.

DILLIGAF?
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    And Ed contradicted what your friend said in an interview during Sam years when he said he hadn't picked up the guitar in a long time until they started to write and record.
    Could very well fuckin be (?)
    Note that he said there hadn't been a day in *recent memory* that he hasn't played...
    Given his condition at the time, & his recent chemically altered status, "recent memory" could certainly be a losely defined term....

Why do you find it so hard to believe that he practices much any more?

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    His picking technique is still lagging. You know you never really lose the tapping chops.

But, this thread is really about whether he can deliver the song writing goods. And, on that, we'll just have to wait and see.

Remember, the last songs Ed wrote were the ones on VH3. And they were FUCKING HORRIBLE. And I'm not just talking about Cherone's parts. Ed's playing was just as bad.

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    theres hundreds of songs they did way back when that never made it to recording, david lee roth has said many times, theres tons of songs
    that were put on the backburner.
    ill bet they could do 5 albums, its eddie vanhalens life, you dont think he can come up with a new album? come on.

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    hes tearing up arenas, and you still doubt him.
    give it a rest already.

DILLIGAF?
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Remember, the last songs Ed wrote were the ones on VH3. And they were FUCKING HORRIBLE. And I'm not just talking about Cherone's parts. Ed's playing was just as bad.
    Ya mean that last songs we "heard"... You're dead on about that one, bro... VH3 blew some serious dong!!

I truly hope some of the stuff from the closet -- that's not released yet -- will be worthy...

Full On Cocktard
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Ed says in the VH book that he has enough songs written for the next 100 years.

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I think he probably has a lot of music already on tape. I am sure Dave can write some cool lyrics and melodies.
    "Can't you hear Jamies cryin? Shes runnin with the Devil oh nooooo!!! oh no!

Army Bartender
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by groetman
    Ed says in the VH book that he has enough songs written for the next 100 years.
    oh..ed says...I see

if anything ed said was true, he'd be playing tuba right now...
    Roth Army Icon
    First official owner of ADKOT (Deluxe Version)

Sheep Pen Emperor
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I never did subscribe to the idea that Ed has "14 albums in the can ready to go"...didn't believe it then - don't believe it now.

On a personal level, I'd be shocked as shit if anything from the studio comes after this tour. 95% likely that David won't be a part of anything beyond this, and that's not just pessimism speaking, that's experience...
    Twistin' by the pool.

Drop and give me ten!
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Hopefully they will put out a kick-ass new CD in 08!
    http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/8...19yc8872wu.jpg

http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/5...0269il5.th.jpg

Originally posted by fuckhowardstern - dude - you sounded cool as a cucumber - totally relaxed and spoke with authority - must say I was a bit surprised but you sounded really at ease - super cool-like.

Originally posted by DavidLeeNatra - nate, you are the fucking attention whore of the day and you DESERVE it

Originally posted by Jérôme Frenchise - BTW, bravo NATE! Soon Dave will mention the Army by himself!

Originally posted by franksters Have you heard Nate properly, We now moved up to an ''Organisation'' Awesome man!!
    Roth army....more than an army....it's a gr8 Organization!!

Originally posted by Northern Girl
    Nate, so cool. I'm listening to the Dallas feed, so it'll be coming up in a while. Can't wait!

Army Bartender
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by bueno bob
    I never did subscribe to the idea that Ed has "14 albums in the can ready to go"...didn't believe it then - don't believe it now.

On a personal level, I'd be shocked as shit if anything from the studio comes after this tour. 95% likely that David won't be a part of anything beyond this, and that's not just pessimism speaking, that's experience...
    you say it...as CVH and roth fans we learned from the worst teacher going...experience...

at least I expect a killer-live DVD...and that's it, I guess...

they are on that project since last october and could not put together just ONE new song...but maybe there is a plan behind it...

why putting out a new record without a major company in the back...VH was not in the position to negotiate a good contract...but after the tour with that success and that hell of a party...who knows...

I hope the best is yet to caome...and hope springs eternal...

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by NATEDOG001976
    Hopefully they will put out a kick-ass new CD in 08!
    Well, here's to hope!

I'm kind of a big deal!
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Don't forget about those two little winners Ed wrote with Spammula on the last best of CD... Of course those songs were put together with Clown boy in mind... And not to mention that Dave's lyrics are light years ahead of Chia pets. I think my point is that VHIII might have not stunk so much if it were Dave at the helm. He keeps Ed in check and prevents shit like "How many Say I". I Have lot os hope for the future of VH.
    Three time witness to the comeback of the MIGHTY VAN HALEN. And then they faded back into obscurity.

Canuklehead
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Not really.

He peaked a long time ago...I doubt he could do something now that would put the music world on notice.

The best I think he can do is relive the past...perhaps write a few songs in the "Classic" sense...but I would not expect much.

All he has really proven since the mid eighties is that he can write and play decent pop songs...radio fodder.

Use my hand, I won't look
    ____Van Fuckin' Halen____
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I disagree with you here.. the bulk of the tracks, minus the vocals, on VHIII were pretty damn good and raw sounding. The solos were fantastic and everything had a darker sound to it. If DLR had been in the drivers seat for that album, it would have put it over the edge creatively and we would have had a real winner on our hands.

I'm sure others will, and should, disagree with you about Ed's playing in 98 - it was fucking great and he dusted off a bunch of songs from the CVH days to boot.

Back on topic - Yes, I think EVH & DLR have what it takes to 'bring it' one more time.
    Quote Originally Posted by wiseguy View Post
    That shit will welcome you in the morning and pour the milk in your count chocula for ya.

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by bueno bob

I agree about the 14 albums worth or even half that amount, but one would have to think that after all this time with no new album that there has to be some stuff ready to go.

How could Edward expect to call anything Van Halen from this point on without Dave? I can't believe that there would be anyone willing to accept a 4th lead singer. Especially after VH came back with such a successful tour with Dave.

Canuklehead
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by VAiN
    I disagree with you here.. the bulk of the tracks, minus the vocals, on VHIII were pretty damn good and raw sounding. The solos were fantastic and everything had a darker sound to it. If DLR had been in the drivers seat for that album, it would have put it over the edge creatively and we would have had a real winner on our hands.

I'm sure others will, and should, disagree with you about Ed's playing in 98 - it was fucking great and he dusted off a bunch of songs from the CVH days to boot.

Back on topic - Yes, I think EVH & DLR have what it takes to 'bring it' one more time.
    Thing is those were written 10 years ago...alot has changed in the music world.
    Eddie has also killed off alot more cells since then.

It has been so long since I have heard that disc I do not really remember much about it as far as positives go.

Roth Army Recruit

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    They could record/release the best of the old stuff tht never made it onto albums: Big Trouble, Vodoo Queen, Babe Don't Leave Me Alone, Down in Flames, Bullethead, etc. and round off with some newbies. I'd buy that over this "Best of" stuff that comes out with one or two new tracks.

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by VAiN

A thousand DLR's from 1981 couldn't have saved that turd.

We'll just have to have a gentleman's disagreement on this one.

Roth Army Recruit

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by ELVIS

Well, I still long for the days when he could shred like this:

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/CXbCt_1mrak"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/CXbCt_1mrak" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by schwing
    They could record/release the best of the old stuff tht never made it onto albums: Big Trouble, Vodoo Queen, Babe Don't Leave Me Alone, Down in Flames, Bullethead, etc. and round off with some newbies. I'd buy that over this "Best of" stuff that comes out with one or two new tracks.
    I'd buy it, too. But, that'll never happen.

OK, we're all taking this too seriously. How 'bouts a nice set of tits.

Last edited by Hummarstra; 10-10-2007 at 04:23 PM.

Roth Army Recruit

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I'd buy it, too. But, that'll never happen.

OK, we're all taking this too seriously. How 'bouts a nice set of tits.

I'd buy that too.

Head Fluffer

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    If he really put his mind to it, he probably could but, much improved as he is since 2004, there still seems to be a certain sterility to his playing on this tour, like he's just doing facsimiles of his classic stuff.

Regarding new material, I think a really important factor for Eddie is having a strong producer to get him on track and pull songs together. Obviously the stuff with Templeman goes without saying but once Ted was gone, aside from the fact Spudnuts ruined the chemistry of the band, Eddie increasingly started just putting out garbage guitar tracks on those Van Hagar records and the hole brown sound was flushed down the toilet.

While Balance is nothing great, to me it's by far the most listenable Van Hagar record and has some decent songs (if you judge them by pop rock standards) and great guitar playing from Eddie; the record also has an overall coherence in terms of the presentation. I can't help thinking Bruce Fairbairn was a huge factor in this and kicking Eddie out of his comfort zone- look at how he got Eddie out of the 5150 bunker and upto Canada for some of the sessions.

Then look at the two new Roth tracks. Just incredible, with MWM probably being the rock track of the 90s. Again, big producer in there who can pull rank and get Eddie in line, Glenn Ballard.

Eddie goes self produced right after that and puts VH3 out. If you check out VH3, there's some great riffs on there etc (Fire In The Hole springs to mind) but there was no one there pulling the threads together and keeping Eddie in check and on course.

So, to come back to the point, if they could get this band in the studio in that context with a big name producer who can be on a footing with the band, then original and good (great?) music is very feasible. I just don't see Eddie being willing to put himself in that position. My guess is he'll want to produce a record of Wolfgang's noodling on bass and he'd be presenting it as the greatest thing since Mozart started writing operas as a kid.

Canuklehead
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I know I am in the minority but I really do not care for MWM...

CGTSNM...now that one I dig.

Puts the ass in Class
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Where the wind comes sweeping down the plains
    Status
    I have doubts. Not heard much good come from Ed in a while. He has the VH III shit out of his system, perhaps. Only time will tell. And if he ditches that fucking wah
    This space for rent.

The worst that you seen
    Roadie

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I just find it hard to believe that Ed practices much anymore. And Ed contradicted what your friend said in an interview during Sam years when he said he hadn't picked up the guitar in a long time until they started to write and record. I don't remember what year this was, but I read it myself. Maybe this tour will give him the inspiration he needs.
    That's not what I got out of that interview... This was when he was noodling arounf on a cello a lot... I don't think that it took TOO much away from guitar playing, he was just having fun with cello as well.

Here's the quote:

Guitar World: How much guitar have you played over the last six years? (This was written before the 2004 Van Hagar tour)

Eddie Van Halen: A lot, but I played more cello and piano. I only sleep about three or four hours a day, because there are so many things to deal with. I've learned to manage my time a little better.

Somebody recently turned me on to the classical cellist Yo-Yo Ma. I don't even know how to tune the instrument properly, but I can play whatever he does because I just let it be. I'm not practicing, I'm just playing. I've never practiced a day in my life. Even if I have to relearn one of my old songs for a tour, I don't call it "practicing."

LIGHT EM UP!!
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    It will all depend on Wolf....if he begs dad to release some thing it will happen...if they all are one big happy family after the tour, they really have nowhere else to go besides call it quits again. I wont pay to see another best of tour. This is a one time shot for all of us with the current material.

juicecrell
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Agree w/"the king"! TAKIN WHISKEY, VH RIDES AGAIN! AM I GONNA SEE BODE A YA"S AT SHOLESS JOES TUESDAY?? Let me know - por fa vor! Juice

LIGHT EM UP!!
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    tuesday..oh yea!

juicecrell
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by chi-town324
    tuesday..oh yea!
    Bro Rob! One more time: OOOOHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!! YYYYYYYEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!

\m/
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Re: Do you have faith in Ed ability to "bring it" with new original music?

Do you have faith in Ed's ability to "bring it" with new original music?
    Definitely not by himself.

Rick Rubin behind the boards, maybe?

Thread Information