Meat Loaf Quits Music Halfway Through Gig?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Shaun Ponsonby
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    • Oct 2004

Meat Loaf Quits Music Halfway Through Gig?

Fans were left disappointed last night after US singer Meat Loaf cut short a concert in Newcastle after an hour. His tour promoter has played down reports that the 60-year-old told the audience it would be his final gig.

Phil Cammish, 23, a marketing executive, of Heaton, Newcastle, said: "It was after he played 'Not A Dry Eye In The House' and he started saying; "This is my last ever gig, this is my last ever song. Thanks for 30 years, I can't do this anymore."

"Everyone looked at each other and wondered what was going on, from where we were sitting we could see him walk off stage and then a St John's Ambulance crew ushered him away.

"We waited for an announcement, and then they said over the P.A that 'due to an illness' the gig had been cancelled.

"When we went outside I saw a man dressed up as Meat Loaf weeping on the steps, he was that devastated.

"We weren't sure what to make of it, everyone during the gig was commenting that they thought he was plastered.

"He kept having emotional talks during the gig and was telling stories about his children and slurring his words, he was saying things that had nothing to do with the gig.

"He sounded awful all night. His backing singers had to carry him through most of the songs. He couldn't finish some of his hits."

Meat Loaf was on his 'Three Bats' tour and managed to rattle his way through Life Is A Lemon and was about to start singing Paradise By The Dashboard Light but only made it through three words.

Mr Cammish added: "I'm a lifelong Meat Loaf fan and I was pretty gutted about it all, but I hope it's not really his last ever gig."

Arena bosses said that fans who attended the show are unlikely to get their money back as it had been running for at least an hour before Meat Loaf had to quit the stage.

Meat Loaf is due to play in Birmingham on Friday, followed by Manchester, Nottingham, London and Cardiff, though there was no word from the singer's camp tonight over whether the shows will take place.

Meat Loaf's promoter Andrew Miller said: ""He is just exhausted. I've just spoken to his doctor, and its clear its just exhaustion and stress. He'll be fine, and hopefully on stage in Birmingham on Friday. We hope that 24 hour rest will get him better. Those claims that it was his last ever gig last night are totally unfounded. I was backstage with him last night and he apologised to say 'I'm just exhausted'. Its not his last ever gig, that's for sure."

But when the intro to Paradise By The Dashboard Light began, Meat Loaf began to look uncomfortable and the intro stretched over two minutes.

His daughter, Pearl Aday, who was his support act, had been standing in the wings and also looking uncomfortable.

He sung the first line and stopped. "I can no longer continue," he stated to the stunned crowd, many of whom thought it a Halloween prank.

But he continued: "I take off my coat and thank you for 30 years," before leaving the stage, possibly never to return.

Fans were stunned. Kim Wilson, of Newcastle, said: "The hall was in shock as he left the stage, as he declared, for the very last time. His voice may have faltered but his charisma and presence remained as huge as ever.

"He did croak for about an hour though."

The performer has been hinting at quitting touring for some time.

A doctor had been called to the Arena earlier in the day and paramedics were on-hand with oxygen if needed during the gig.

I hope he's OK for the Manchester gig...

...And...yes...I'm expecting the "Good...hope he never returns" comments...

...To those people I say...BITE ME.
    Fast & Bulbous, Got Me?
  • Mr Badguy
    Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

I thought he had hung it up after his "Farewell tour"?

Hmm...

Maybe he should form a band with Michael Schenker?
    sigpic

Sitting on a park bench!

Comment

• binnie
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • May 2006

Originally posted by Mr Badguy

The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• Diamondjimi
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • May 2004

Re: Meat Loaf Quits Music Halfway Through Gig?

Originally posted by Shaun Ponsonby
        "When we went outside I saw a man dressed up as Meat Loaf weeping on the steps, he was that devastated.

"We weren't sure what to make of it, everyone during the gig was commenting that they thought he was plastered.

"He kept having emotional talks during the gig and was telling stories about his children and slurring his words, he was saying things that had nothing to do with the gig.

"He sounded awful all night. His backing singers had to carry him through most of the songs. He couldn't finish some of his hits."

Meat Loaf was on his 'Three Bats' tour and managed to rattle his way through Life Is A Lemon and was about to start singing Paradise By The Dashboard Light but only made it through three words.

+

Hope he keeps going . He's a lucky man .

I mean 1 album , and a 30 year tour . Whooda thunk !
        Trolls take heed...LOG OUT & FUCK OFF!!!

Comment

• Dan
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Jan 2004

That's A Real Shame.
          First Roth Army Kiwi To See Van Halen Live 6/16/2012 Phoenix Arizona.

Comment

• bueno bob
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Jul 2004

It is. I've followed Meat Loaf through thick and thin, and I have to admit, the later years have been pretty thin - it's not so much Meat Loaf himself that I'm a fan of, however, I'm more into Jim Steinman's writing...but Meat Loaf was (and is) the best man to sing it...Air Supply, Bonnie Tyler, Celine Dion and whoever the hell else be damned, NOBODY belts out a Steinman tune like Meat Loaf does...and the fact that there's very little of interest on "Bat III" that's NOT penned by Steinman basically proves that...

On the one side, I hope he's healthy, but having seen some of the tour footage from the Three Bats tour, even the earlier-on stuff, it was pretty clear to me that he's just about had it as a stage performer - of course, it takes nothing away from his studio albums (as he sounds WONDERFUL on "Bat III"), but live, the guy can't hack it anymore...

No shame in admitting it - hopefully Meat and Jim will have a few albums left in them yet.
            Twistin' by the pool.

Comment

• Shaun Ponsonby
              ROTH ARMY ELITE
              • Oct 2004

I thought he had hung it up after his "Farewell tour"?

Hmm...

He was going to...until Steinman contacted him about Making a Third Bat...but then Steinman got sick (although there are two versions of the story)...so he went ahead and made the album so he could get it all over with.

And to be fair...he was carried away by an ambulance when he left the stage. Schenker's just a self-centered cunt.

Originally posted by diamondjimi

Hey...it's hard to make a second album that sells 35 million...
              Last edited by Shaun Ponsonby; 11-02-2007, 08:33 AM.
              Fast & Bulbous, Got Me?

Comment

• Shaun Ponsonby
                ROTH ARMY ELITE
                • Oct 2004

Originally posted by bueno bob
                It is. I've followed Meat Loaf through thick and thin, and I have to admit, the later years have been pretty thin - it's not so much Meat Loaf himself that I'm a fan of, however, I'm more into Jim Steinman's writing...but Meat Loaf was (and is) the best man to sing it...Air Supply, Bonnie Tyler, Celine Dion and whoever the hell else be damned, NOBODY belts out a Steinman tune like Meat Loaf does...and the fact that there's very little of interest on "Bat III" that's NOT penned by Steinman basically proves that...

On the one side, I hope he's healthy, but having seen some of the tour footage from the Three Bats tour, even the earlier-on stuff, it was pretty clear to me that he's just about had it as a stage performer - of course, it takes nothing away from his studio albums (as he sounds WONDERFUL on "Bat III"), but live, the guy can't hack it anymore...

No shame in admitting it - hopefully Meat and Jim will have a few albums left in them yet.

I MOSTLY agree...particularly on Jim...although I thought Bat III was a helluva lot better than I thought it would be.

There is a documentary film on the new 3 Bats DVD...you wouldn't believe the amount of medication he has to take before a show...and he stresses over every little detail...so much so that he made himself ill...as long as he gives it is all (as he clearly does) he can be forgiven...I see his act as more than hitting the right notes etc...(He must have been bad if he stopped the show...this is a guy who was touring 2 months after open heart surgery).

And I'm really looking forward to the Bat Out Of Hell musical that Steinman is putting together.
                Fast & Bulbous, Got Me?

Comment

• Shaun Ponsonby
                  ROTH ARMY ELITE
                  • Oct 2004

Official Meat Loaf Statement

Meat Loaf's "Three Bats Tour" continues on, offering fans in upcoming arenas a rare chance to see their favorite singer live for the third time this year!

Despite feeling ill, Meat Loaf took the stage and performed at Newcastle's Metro Arena last night. His comments as he left the stage served to thank fans for their support over the last year and to announce that these would be his last songs in Newcastle in 2007.

Meat Loaf is on his way to Birmingham, where the "Three Bats Tour" will continue as scheduled. Though he is due to be evaluated by doctors - and some reports have even suggested that he may have died! - none of the shows on the tour have been cancelled.

Meat Loaf's manager, Tenth Street Entertainment CEO Allen Kovac, said "After working with Meat Loaf for 15 years, I've never seen an Artist as dedicated to performing for his fans as he did in Newcastle. The internet is a double-edged sword: news travels fast but unsubstantiated rumors travel faster."
                  Fast & Bulbous, Got Me?

Comment

• LoungeMachine
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Jul 2004

Whew,

Welp we dodged that bullet....

Everyone back away from the sharp objects, Meat's going on.
                    Originally posted by Kristy
                    Dude, what in the fuck is wrong with you? I'm full of hate and I do drugs.
                    Originally posted by cadaverdog
                    I posted under aliases and I jerk off with a sock. Anything else to add?

Comment

• Mr Badguy
                      Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Though he is due to be evaluated by doctors - and some reports have even suggested that he may have died! - none of the shows on the tour have been cancelled.
                      Wow.

What a trooper!
                      sigpic

Sitting on a park bench!

Comment

• Mr Badguy
                        Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Hey...it's hard to make a second album that sells 35 million...
                        You took the words right out of my mouth.
                        sigpic

Sitting on a park bench!

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                          SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Re: Re: Meat Loaf Quits Music Halfway Through Gig?

Originally posted by diamondjimi

+

Hope he keeps going . He's a lucky man .

Well, two albums to be fair, if you're talking about Jim Steinman collaborations. But he has a couple of other hits not penned by Jim Steinman...

I thought they were supposed to finish the Hell...Bat concept with a trilogy?

*edit* I guess they did, I hadn't noticed...

Last edited by Nickdfresh; 11-02-2007, 10:33 AM.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                            SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Wow.

What a trooper!

I still like Mr.Loaf...

But God he's a fookin' drama queen...

Comment

• Shaun Ponsonby
                              ROTH ARMY ELITE
                              • Oct 2004

Here's the moment...it's just before this that he says he'll never play another show

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0qr5Rs5VWng&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0qr5Rs5VWng&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
                              Fast & Bulbous, Got Me?

Comment

Working...