Thread: Meat Loaf Quits Music Halfway Through Gig?

Underwhelmist
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    11-22-2011 @ 11:45 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Meat Loaf Quits Music Halfway Through Gig?

Fans were left disappointed last night after US singer Meat Loaf cut short a concert in Newcastle after an hour. His tour promoter has played down reports that the 60-year-old told the audience it would be his final gig.

Phil Cammish, 23, a marketing executive, of Heaton, Newcastle, said: "It was after he played 'Not A Dry Eye In The House' and he started saying; "This is my last ever gig, this is my last ever song. Thanks for 30 years, I can't do this anymore."

"Everyone looked at each other and wondered what was going on, from where we were sitting we could see him walk off stage and then a St John's Ambulance crew ushered him away.

"We waited for an announcement, and then they said over the P.A that 'due to an illness' the gig had been cancelled.

"When we went outside I saw a man dressed up as Meat Loaf weeping on the steps, he was that devastated.

"We weren't sure what to make of it, everyone during the gig was commenting that they thought he was plastered.

"He kept having emotional talks during the gig and was telling stories about his children and slurring his words, he was saying things that had nothing to do with the gig.

"He sounded awful all night. His backing singers had to carry him through most of the songs. He couldn't finish some of his hits."

Meat Loaf was on his 'Three Bats' tour and managed to rattle his way through Life Is A Lemon and was about to start singing Paradise By The Dashboard Light but only made it through three words.

Mr Cammish added: "I'm a lifelong Meat Loaf fan and I was pretty gutted about it all, but I hope it's not really his last ever gig."

Arena bosses said that fans who attended the show are unlikely to get their money back as it had been running for at least an hour before Meat Loaf had to quit the stage.

Meat Loaf is due to play in Birmingham on Friday, followed by Manchester, Nottingham, London and Cardiff, though there was no word from the singer's camp tonight over whether the shows will take place.

Meat Loaf's promoter Andrew Miller said: ""He is just exhausted. I've just spoken to his doctor, and its clear its just exhaustion and stress. He'll be fine, and hopefully on stage in Birmingham on Friday. We hope that 24 hour rest will get him better. Those claims that it was his last ever gig last night are totally unfounded. I was backstage with him last night and he apologised to say 'I'm just exhausted'. Its not his last ever gig, that's for sure."

But when the intro to Paradise By The Dashboard Light began, Meat Loaf began to look uncomfortable and the intro stretched over two minutes.

His daughter, Pearl Aday, who was his support act, had been standing in the wings and also looking uncomfortable.

He sung the first line and stopped. "I can no longer continue," he stated to the stunned crowd, many of whom thought it a Halloween prank.

But he continued: "I take off my coat and thank you for 30 years," before leaving the stage, possibly never to return.

Fans were stunned. Kim Wilson, of Newcastle, said: "The hall was in shock as he left the stage, as he declared, for the very last time. His voice may have faltered but his charisma and presence remained as huge as ever.

"He did croak for about an hour though."

The performer has been hinting at quitting touring for some time.

A doctor had been called to the Arena earlier in the day and paramedics were on-hand with oxygen if needed during the gig.

I hope he's OK for the Manchester gig...

...And...yes...I'm expecting the "Good...hope he never returns" comments...

...To those people I say...BITE ME.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

FUTUE TE IPSUM
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    10-31-2013 @ 07:41 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I thought he had hung it up after his "Farewell tour"?

Hmm...

Maybe he should form a band with Michael Schenker?
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    12-27-2016 @ 08:33 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,785 Times in 1,252 Posts

Originally posted by Mr Badguy

"EVERYBODY UP!!!"™
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-20-2021 @ 05:28 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,978 Times in 1,378 Posts

Re: Meat Loaf Quits Music Halfway Through Gig?

Originally posted by Shaun Ponsonby
    "When we went outside I saw a man dressed up as Meat Loaf weeping on the steps, he was that devastated.

"We weren't sure what to make of it, everyone during the gig was commenting that they thought he was plastered.

"He kept having emotional talks during the gig and was telling stories about his children and slurring his words, he was saying things that had nothing to do with the gig.

"He sounded awful all night. His backing singers had to carry him through most of the songs. He couldn't finish some of his hits."

Meat Loaf was on his 'Three Bats' tour and managed to rattle his way through Life Is A Lemon and was about to start singing Paradise By The Dashboard Light but only made it through three words.

+

Hope he keeps going . He's a lucky man .

I mean 1 album , and a 30 year tour . Whooda thunk !

Sheep Pen Kiwi
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-26-2024 @ 02:58 PM
    Status
    Thanks

That's A Real Shame.

Sheep Pen Emperor
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-11-2024 @ 09:21 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,333 Times in 859 Posts

It is. I've followed Meat Loaf through thick and thin, and I have to admit, the later years have been pretty thin - it's not so much Meat Loaf himself that I'm a fan of, however, I'm more into Jim Steinman's writing...but Meat Loaf was (and is) the best man to sing it...Air Supply, Bonnie Tyler, Celine Dion and whoever the hell else be damned, NOBODY belts out a Steinman tune like Meat Loaf does...and the fact that there's very little of interest on "Bat III" that's NOT penned by Steinman basically proves that...

On the one side, I hope he's healthy, but having seen some of the tour footage from the Three Bats tour, even the earlier-on stuff, it was pretty clear to me that he's just about had it as a stage performer - of course, it takes nothing away from his studio albums (as he sounds WONDERFUL on "Bat III"), but live, the guy can't hack it anymore...

No shame in admitting it - hopefully Meat and Jim will have a few albums left in them yet.

Underwhelmist
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I thought he had hung it up after his "Farewell tour"?

Hmm...

He was going to...until Steinman contacted him about Making a Third Bat...but then Steinman got sick (although there are two versions of the story)...so he went ahead and made the album so he could get it all over with.

And to be fair...he was carried away by an ambulance when he left the stage. Schenker's just a self-centered cunt.

Originally posted by diamondjimi

Hey...it's hard to make a second album that sells 35 million...
    Last edited by Shaun Ponsonby; 11-02-2007 at 08:33 AM.

Underwhelmist
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by bueno bob
    It is. I've followed Meat Loaf through thick and thin, and I have to admit, the later years have been pretty thin - it's not so much Meat Loaf himself that I'm a fan of, however, I'm more into Jim Steinman's writing...but Meat Loaf was (and is) the best man to sing it...Air Supply, Bonnie Tyler, Celine Dion and whoever the hell else be damned, NOBODY belts out a Steinman tune like Meat Loaf does...and the fact that there's very little of interest on "Bat III" that's NOT penned by Steinman basically proves that...

On the one side, I hope he's healthy, but having seen some of the tour footage from the Three Bats tour, even the earlier-on stuff, it was pretty clear to me that he's just about had it as a stage performer - of course, it takes nothing away from his studio albums (as he sounds WONDERFUL on "Bat III"), but live, the guy can't hack it anymore...

No shame in admitting it - hopefully Meat and Jim will have a few albums left in them yet.

I MOSTLY agree...particularly on Jim...although I thought Bat III was a helluva lot better than I thought it would be.

There is a documentary film on the new 3 Bats DVD...you wouldn't believe the amount of medication he has to take before a show...and he stresses over every little detail...so much so that he made himself ill...as long as he gives it is all (as he clearly does) he can be forgiven...I see his act as more than hitting the right notes etc...(He must have been bad if he stopped the show...this is a guy who was touring 2 months after open heart surgery).

And I'm really looking forward to the Bat Out Of Hell musical that Steinman is putting together.

Underwhelmist
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Official Meat Loaf Statement

Meat Loaf's "Three Bats Tour" continues on, offering fans in upcoming arenas a rare chance to see their favorite singer live for the third time this year!

Despite feeling ill, Meat Loaf took the stage and performed at Newcastle's Metro Arena last night. His comments as he left the stage served to thank fans for their support over the last year and to announce that these would be his last songs in Newcastle in 2007.

Meat Loaf is on his way to Birmingham, where the "Three Bats Tour" will continue as scheduled. Though he is due to be evaluated by doctors - and some reports have even suggested that he may have died! - none of the shows on the tour have been cancelled.

Meat Loaf's manager, Tenth Street Entertainment CEO Allen Kovac, said "After working with Meat Loaf for 15 years, I've never seen an Artist as dedicated to performing for his fans as he did in Newcastle. The internet is a double-edged sword: news travels fast but unsubstantiated rumors travel faster."

Builder of Sites
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    02-08-2016 @ 02:28 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,705 Times in 2,513 Posts

Whew,

Welp we dodged that bullet....

Everyone back away from the sharp objects, Meat's going on.

FUTUE TE IPSUM
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Though he is due to be evaluated by doctors - and some reports have even suggested that he may have died! - none of the shows on the tour have been cancelled.
    Wow.

What a trooper!

FUTUE TE IPSUM
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Hey...it's hard to make a second album that sells 35 million...
    You took the words right out of my mouth.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:51 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,580 Times in 3,459 Posts

Re: Re: Meat Loaf Quits Music Halfway Through Gig?

Originally posted by diamondjimi

+

Hope he keeps going . He's a lucky man .

Well, two albums to be fair, if you're talking about Jim Steinman collaborations. But he has a couple of other hits not penned by Jim Steinman...

I thought they were supposed to finish the Hell...Bat concept with a trilogy?

*edit* I guess they did, I hadn't noticed...

http://www.amazon.com/Bat-Out-Hell-I...outThisProduct
    Last edited by Nickdfresh; 11-02-2007 at 10:33 AM.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:51 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,580 Times in 3,459 Posts

Wow.

What a trooper!

I still like Mr.Loaf...

But God he's a fookin' drama queen...

Underwhelmist
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Here's the moment...it's just before this that he says he'll never play another show

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0qr5Rs5VWng&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0qr5Rs5VWng&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Underwhelmist
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

He could have been plastered, considering he has a bottle of Newcastle Brown in his hand...

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/StN_4G8CMjU&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/StN_4G8CMjU&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:52 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,298 Times in 4,722 Posts

The guy sounds like he could be going through a nervous breakdown, and that's too bad.

But it shouldn't be too surprising, considering his own fans won't touch his albums unless he calls them "Bat Out of Hell part xxx" I'd get sick of that shit too.

Only Chicago was able to successfully have albums with numbers, not names.

®oth A®my f®an©hise ?laya
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    05-18-2011 @ 11:33 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries

Cool

Originally posted by bueno bob
    Air Supply, Bonnie Tyler, Celine Dion and whoever the hell else be damned, NOBODY belts out a Steinman tune like Meat Loaf does..
    I like Bonnie and Meat equally when singing Steinman.
    "Total Eclipse of the Heart" & "Secret Dreams and Forbidden Fire" is an excellent album.
    Wonder what would happen if the two sang eachother's tracks.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-01-2014 @ 09:03 AM
    Status
    Thanks

I've always looked at Meatloaf as the voice of Steinman,
    when Jim not's involved, I have no interest.
    When I heard the new album only had a smattering
    of Steinman, I havent even bothered to listen.

Saw Meat a few years back now, and thought he was
    struggling even then... He should retire, he has nothing
    left to prove. If he is not loving the performing, then
    fuckit, Im sure he has a good retirement fund happening..

Builder of Sites
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by Steve Savicki

"Total Eclipse of the Heart"

Is Steve short for Stephanie?

Like Stevie Nicks?

I guess it never dawned on me you were a chick.

Don't let JUICE find out, he'll be hitting on you via PM

"EVERYBODY UP!!!"™
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-20-2021 @ 05:28 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,978 Times in 1,378 Posts

Meatloaf did some fine work with da Nuge back in the mid 70's

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-03-2020 @ 02:47 AM
    Status
    Thanks

You took the words right out of my mouth.

Whatever happened to Saturday night??

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/LElpnCAXfJs&color1=0xd6d6d6&color2=0xf0f0f0&border =0"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/LElpnCAXfJs&color1=0xd6d6d6&color2=0xf0f0f0&border =0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Underwhelmist
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by Panamark
    Saw Meat a few years back now, and thought he was
    struggling even then... He should retire, he has nothing
    left to prove. If he is not loving the performing, then
    fuckit, Im sure he has a good retirement fund happening..
    To be honest...he has improved a bit since he started getting vocal coaching again.

So long as he still has the charisma, he can pull it off.

Let's be honest, Dave was struggling a few years ago, but we all stuck with him.

Member No
    Last Online
    04-05-2014 @ 08:34 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Meatloaf=gay...sorry guys.

Underwhelmist
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Depends how you view it...

Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    09-23-2023 @ 01:16 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Meatloaf has cancelled the rest of his European tour after apparently being diagnosed with a cyst on his vocal cords.

Link

Underwhelmist
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Thats a fucking disappointment.

Knew I should have seen him in May.

®oth A®my f®an©hise ?laya
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    05-18-2011 @ 11:33 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries

Wink

Originally posted by BrownSound1
    Meatloaf=gay...sorry guys.
    I can understand your viewpoint. Still listen to
    <center></center>
    every once in awhile though.

"Modern Girl", "Nowhere Fast", and "Jumpin' the Gun" are all uptempo rockers.

Builder of Sites
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

We're coming for your 4th Star, Steve-o

Can you hear the footsteps?

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No