Thread: VH 2007 V VH 1984

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

VH 2007 V VH 1984

Is the VH of 2007 better than the VH 1984

Which version gives or gave you more bang for your buck.

What's your take?

Proud Ford Owner
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    For the buck?

Let's see...free ticket to the '84 tour.

No stop officially announced, but it's almost a foregone conclusion that there will be a 2nd leg to this tour and ticket prices are rather steep for the front row seats.

For the buck you say? I'll take the free ticket hands down. Now if you're meaning pure enjoyment factor...It would be the same as '84 or any other David Lee Roth concert that I've ever seen. I look forward to them and know that I'm going to see a great show.

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    The 1984 show was a huge spectacle. They were touring on a grounding breaking album and mass commercial success. They were the leaders of the hard rock, arena band movement. Motley Crue, Dokken, The Scorpions, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest and AC-DC all fell in line behind VH that year. They were in their physical, musical prime. I just remember that show kicking total ass. Everyone was talking about it the next day in school. I don't really think you can compare the recent tour with 84. 1984 was a massive production. 2007 is a scaled down production with a strong emphasis on the music. Their is nothing wrong with that, I just prefer these guys in their prime. I loved the Philly show and I am heading out to the Verizon Center tonight for a rematch, but if I could go back in time and relive their golden years, I would.

Roadie
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Simple..'84 was all about the show and '07 is about the music. '84 was about celebrating VH's rise to number one and '07 is about the retrospect of their career. Each tour is special in it's own way.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    It's all subjectice really isn't it?

Difficult to say which is better or worse: they are older now and consequently the band is different (although I would argue that the essence is still the same) - whether it is "good" different or "bad" different is entirely a matter of opinion.

Having said that, the fans are older too and the music probably means something different to them now than it did in 2007. The 23 year wait surely adds to the expectation and the excitement, which probably means you're getting more "bang for your buck", no?
    The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Full On Cocktard
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    It is all subjective, so here is my subjective opinion as I had the privilege to see both.

I will always remember 84 becuase it was my first big rock concert. Having said that, the 2007 show was the best concert I have ever attended. I got to bring my family, and it was like Christmas turned up to 11. I enjoyed it so much that I will attend another one in 08 if they can keep it together.

Bang for the buck? Again, that is rather subjective. In 84 I was 16 and had to depend on my parents financial contribution, so it was a fortune since I was broke. Life has been kind and $150 in 2007 is a bargain for the enjoyment received.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    The show I saw in 84 was memorable for the size of the production and it just being an event...of the many shows that came through that year, Van Halen was the one show everyone wanted to see.

Really haven't kept up with the setlists of the current tour, but there was a LOT of self-indulgence on the part of the band in 1984, and Roth in particular was hogging a lot of concert time by telling jokes, long road stories and the like. Between him and the drum, bass and a VERY long guitar solo, that was at least 30 minutes of concert time that could have been put to better use playing more tunes...

I mean, should I go and see the band this time around and they do drum and bass solos, it's not anything that's gonna knock me outta my seat. And about 5 minutes of Ed wanking alone onstage to Eruption is gonna suffice (the 1984 solo spot felt like it was at least a quarter hour long, and felt OVERLONG even at the time). And I'm really not gonna be bummed if Dave keeps the stage raps to a minimum.

I really like what I've seen so far from the youtubes, and would just like to go see the band play as many SONGS as they can fit into a 90 minute set, or however long they're playing this time around...just see 'em serve up as many of those great tunes as they can with some fire, heart and soul. It seems like they're making an effort and did put in a decent amount of rehearsal time pre-tour; the tunes sound good, almost far better than they have any right to after all the abuse various band members have inflicted upon each other and themselves.

Plus, 1984 wasn't even the best series of shows CVH did back in the day. Maybe the BIGGEST in terms of the media hype, but the rough edges had been sanded off a bit and the show came off as really streamlined and professional. Am actually looking forward to seeing how they handle the stuff now with twenty-odd years of age added to the mix.
    Scramby eggs and bacon.

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Katie, first is that you in the photo? Secondly, are there any that hot looking VH fans in the UK?

Last, I am married, not trying to hit on you :-)

Oh, yeah, 1984 vs 1984... Saw VH 1984 in Stockhom Sweden, sound was horrible, playing sloppy.. they played like 6pm, Dave said "look at all the people here today" (!)...

And I saw Charlotte and Greensboro now, musically and setlist wise it kicked Sthlm's ass by far.. But I have listened to some bootlegs from the 1984 tour in the US and I think that probably would have been even cooler than now if you think about the energy, looks and the way they ruled the world.....
    The Hammerguy

Thanks forthe dream.- DLR
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    1984 - $15.00
    2007 - $150.00

Hmmm...
    “Why do people say "grow some balls"? Balls are weak and sensitive. If you wanna be tough, grow a vagina. Those things can take a pounding” ― Betty White

DILLIGAF?
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by diamondsgirl
    1984 - $15.00
    2007 - $150.00

Hmmm...
    Well, adjusted for inflation, & the massive change in life circumstances (um..for MOST of us anyway..), it ain't all that much more dough!! Hey, in '84 15bucks could get you a pretty good fuckin buzz!!

In the bay area, the VH venue had moved from Oakland to the Cow Palace in SF by '84...and the SF shows -- I never missed ANY CVH gig's in OAK/SF -- just didn't have the unbelievable energy that filled Oakland during EVERY VH show there.

Dave's birthday in '80 was incredible, but the 3 dates played in Oakland during the 'Fair Warning' tour in '81 had to be the absolute pinacle of the band's shows!

I know this has been posted before, but (despite the extra 4bars of intro..) drop down to "D" & tell me you've seen more energy elsewhere...

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/LfYjgcOaIUU&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/LfYjgcOaIUU&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
    CVH LIVE (OAK/SF) '78, '79(X2), '80(X2) +MOR, '81(X3), '82, USFest '83, '84 & 2007!

http://www.hellsangelsmcoakland.com/...Support-V2.jpg

"God rest the souls of that poor family... and pussy's half price for the next 15 minutes." Al Swearengen

DILLIGAF?
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    OK....last one... (off topic)..
    Hear about it later, Oakland...same tour.
    <object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/NPxjobLI898&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/NPxjobLI898&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Beer-It does a body good.
    Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Let's see, 1984- $14 ticket, $12 shirt, $8 for a case of Lowenbrau nips, $5 for a three finger bag of weed, original band, biggest rock band and tour at the time. 2007-23 years later, 3/4 original band, ticket prices to rival my mortgage payment, no new material. I'd say hands down 1984. BTW, finally got tix for tomorrow's show in Jersey. Still waiting on MSG.
    When the shit hits the fan, close your mouth and duck.

Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    1984: 6 years old
    2007: 28 years old

07 hands down.

Seen roth by himself, I'd rather just see that and be uprfont for 50 bones.
    We're gonna leave you smokin like the slow guy in Chernobyl

Foot Soldier

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Here is a little story for the Roth Army. I'm at the VH show in Oakland 81....Shitty seats, great show. I'll never forget it, best ever.

84---SF...Cow palace great seats...Um...No seats....Standing in the first fucking row, sweating, drunk, smoked, and more.....singing along to the classics. Best ever.

Next night, go home and my room mate has a girlfriend---with, yep a friend. Seems they had showed up the night before and were from out of state. Anyway--Long story short--we get friendly and a couple of years later we have a son---Ryan.

Anyway---Ryan turns 21 tomorrow---11-3.07. Although his mom and I parted comapany 20 years ago, Ryan and I remain close. We speak each day by phone, while living 300 miles apart. Best gift God could have ever given me....I'm very grateful.

Bottom line is---Ryan and I will be attending the Seattle concert via 5 star seating in one month. The more things change----The more they stay the same. Look for us---We'll be the good looking sons of bitches wearing the Roth army T shirts! Thanks for listening....Motherfuckers!

Oh Yeah---Dec 07---Best Ever Motherfuckers! Roth On!

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    1984=Van Halen at their near commercial peak...

2007=Van Halen MachIV with Ed's teen son and a bunch of backing tracks...

You decide.

Foot Soldier

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by Nickdfresh
    1984=Van Halen at their near commercial peak...

2007=Van Halen MachIV with Ed's teen son and a bunch of backing tracks...

You decide.
    You don't like the current lineup Nick? Please stay at home and order hot sauce on QVC---let a real fan take your place then.

Sorry we won't see ya in Seattle! Go Wolf!!!!

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by J Curling

And I saw Charlotte and Greensboro now, musically and setlist wise it kicked Sthlm's ass by far.. But I have listened to some bootlegs from the 1984 tour in the US and I think that probably would have been even cooler than now if you think about the energy, looks and the way they ruled the world.....
    I think the date was 25/8/84 for the show you went to.
    I have a 2cd boot if you want it (PM me a contact address)

I loved the energy that they had from back in the day.
    No band ever came close, as they really did 'raise the bar' and took rock music to another level.

I hope they hit the UK in 08 as I think it will be the last chance for UK fans.

I really do think that they will do a new album, but after that i'm guessing that it will just be US arena shows after that,

All in all i'm pleased they are back as I would rather have this version than nothing at all.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by naturochem
    Well, adjusted for inflation, & the massive change in life circumstances (um..for MOST of us anyway..), it ain't all that much more dough!! Hey, in '84 15bucks could get you a pretty good fuckin buzz!!
    Ticket prices today are WAY out of fucking line, period.

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by Terry
    The show I saw in 84 was memorable for the size of the production and it just being an event...of the many shows that came through that year, Van Halen was the one show everyone wanted to see.

Really haven't kept up with the setlists of the current tour, but there was a LOT of self-indulgence on the part of the band in 1984, and Roth in particular was hogging a lot of concert time by telling jokes, long road stories and the like. Between him and the drum, bass and a VERY long guitar solo, that was at least 30 minutes of concert time that could have been put to better use playing more tunes...

I mean, should I go and see the band this time around and they do drum and bass solos, it's not anything that's gonna knock me outta my seat. And about 5 minutes of Ed wanking alone onstage to Eruption is gonna suffice (the 1984 solo spot felt like it was at least a quarter hour long, and felt OVERLONG even at the time). And I'm really not gonna be bummed if Dave keeps the stage raps to a minimum.

I really like what I've seen so far from the youtubes, and would just like to go see the band play as many SONGS as they can fit into a 90 minute set, or however long they're playing this time around...just see 'em serve up as many of those great tunes as they can with some fire, heart and soul. It seems like they're making an effort and did put in a decent amount of rehearsal time pre-tour; the tunes sound good, almost far better than they have any right to after all the abuse various band members have inflicted upon each other and themselves.

Plus, 1984 wasn't even the best series of shows CVH did back in the day. Maybe the BIGGEST in terms of the media hype, but the rough edges had been sanded off a bit and the show came off as really streamlined and professional. Am actually looking forward to seeing how they handle the stuff now with twenty-odd years of age added to the mix.
    I hear what your'e saying on the self-indulgence thing.

but I think bands like Zep went further, especially on their 77 tour.

I liked the set the VH list that from 84,
    I agree it was self indulgent but I think tey got away with it because you were entertained as well.
    Those roth one liners, the energy, Eddie! it really was a huge leap in rock music presentation.

Cool post terry

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

In the bay area, the VH venue had moved from Oakland to the Cow Palace in SF by '84...and the SF shows -- I never missed ANY CVH gig's in OAK/SF -- just didn't have the unbelievable energy that filled Oakland during EVERY VH show there.

Dave's birthday in '80 was incredible, but the 3 dates played in Oakland during the 'Fair Warning' tour in '81 had to be the absolute pinacle of the band's shows!

I know this has been posted before, but (despite the extra 4bars of intro..) drop down to "D" & tell me you've seen more energy elsewhere...

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/LfYjgcOaIUU&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/LfYjgcOaIUU&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Those Oakland shows are awesome!

I loved tha fact that Dave cast a shodow so long that Spam was always under it for the last 20 years.

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by Terry
    Ticket prices today are WAY out of fucking line, period.
    I agree, but bands are selling less CDs these days that tix & merch is the only way to make real money fast for a brand these days

DILLIGAF?
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by katie
    I agree, but bands are selling less CDs these days that tix & merch is the only way to make real money fast for a brand these days
    You hit the nail on the head there...

Not only is touring a way to make real money fast, it is the ONLY way to generate reasonable income for the MAJORITY of acts -- current OR retro acts, I should add.

Obviously, there are but a select few acts which would be able to approach the TOUR figures VH is currently generating, but how long they can continue without new material is anyone's guess... personally, I think after the tour extension (& some of the novelty wears thin..), another tour next year would have significant difficulty even coming close to the current numbers...

I'd like to see new material from the band as much as anyone, but I am somewhat skeptical regarding the degree of commercial success this genre has the potential to solicit in today's market -- hey, I'd love to see them pop out a multi-platinum disc!! But I just don't see that happening given the downloading/sharing capability of their main demographic target(s)...

It is amazing what a tiny percentage of acts is actually generating viable income from CD sales these days...

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Obviously, there are but a select few acts which would be able to approach the TOUR figures VH is currently generating, but how long they can continue without new material is anyone's guess...
    Black Sabbath with Ozzy i think had a run of 9 years and in that time produced was it 2/3 new sub par songs?

I would hate to see VH go down that road.

Foot Soldier

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Look whats happened to the stones. They`ve only released one studio album in 10 years, but tour every couple of years. The set list becomes tired. Van Halen need to release a killer album to promote a full scale tour, and restore their legacy as a major force in rock.

Who rules? I DO.
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    84 vs 07....
    well, Dave jumping off the drum riser 8million times during a show is pretty awesome....
    If you listen to fools
    The Mob Rules

Army Bartender
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by 113
    Look whats happened to the stones. They`ve only released one studio album in 10 years, but tour every couple of years. The set list becomes tired.
    you know shit about this...they always change the setlist and play tons of old stuff that you don't hear that often...sure they play the "hits", too...

they did more than 6 albums though...
    Roth Army Icon
    First official owner of ADKOT (Deluxe Version)

Head Fluffer

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    that oakland video is just the best...Youth is king for sure.. And tell me Basspalyer doesnt supply the low end 100 times better than Wolf ( who does a good job but doesnt seem to really play "bass" ..to me wolf sounds like a guitarist who is playing bass to be in the band...)

and before I get flamed...You can hate van hagar but still think MA is better than Wolf...
    Last edited by lafours; 11-08-2007 at 10:34 AM.

Don Halen
    Groupie

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    1984 I was 16. Impressionable in all the right ways. My ticket was $12.50. That concert changed my LIFE. Dave even taught me how to swear that night. 1984 BLOWS AWAY 2007. I'm still grateful though.

DILLIGAF?
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by donanger1
    1984 I was 16. Impressionable in all the right ways. My ticket was $12.50. That concert changed my LIFE. Dave even taught me how to swear that night.
    You learned to swear at 16?
    Were you raised by fuckin monk's?? :confused:

DILLIGAF?
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by 113
    Look whats happened to the stones. They`ve only released one studio album in 10 years, but tour every couple of years.
    Affirming the fact that there ain't ANY dough to be made in the vast majority of current music media sales...

With a band on this level (production, extensive marketing, promo etc..), I wonder what sales figure would need to be attained in order to even break even??

It cracks me up when some of the geniuses out there say: "fuck man, release some new material & they'll sell 10 million easy!!" Sure they will, Sparky... sure they will...
    Last edited by naturochem; 11-09-2007 at 05:01 AM.

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I am pretty impressed with the 2007 tour so far, with the exception of the meltdowns and sound issues that I've read about. I'm just glad to see Dave back where he should have been a long time ago. Sammy Hagar just about ruined VH along with Eddie. To see them making music again (with Dave) is worth the ticket price for me. Wolfgang is doing a fine job on bass especially for his first shot at it and his age. Who knows how good he'll be in five years? But I do miss the bass players backing vocals and actually his bass playing was a lot better than a lot of people gave him credit for. I'm just accepting it as it is in order to see Dave back at the helm.

But that being said,1984 VH was just better for me. Eddie's guitar playing/tone was worlds better. Plus he still was the smiling, happy Eddie. Dave still had his screams and his jumps, and overall swagger that just surpasses any other frontman ever to front a band. He's still great, and is singing great, but the 1984 Dave was better. But let's face it, the 1984 version of anyone else that's in their age bracket is going to be better. That's just the way it is.

Wolf is doing a very fine job and I'm impressed. I miss Mike and would love to see him along for the ride. I guess I'm too wishy washy on the subject, but for me it depends on what really has happened. If Mike is just siding with Spammy, then he can stay where he is because Spammy plus VH= songs about love that make me sick.

Save the WACF...
    Roadie
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    4/2/84 Meadowlands New Jersey Amazing show! The original four, Autograph practically booed off stage. Just a great awesome show!

11/13/07 MSG, New York Amazing show! 3 out of 4 originals. From the first notes to the last just kicked ya in the nuts!

My opinion, each were awesome in their own way...just something about Dave and Eddie's chemistry on stage.

No such thing as a bad Van Halen show, with David Lee Roth of course.

Sniper

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Thread Information