Thread: Eddie played drunk at Nassau ?

Roth Army Recruit

Member No
    Last Online
    08-12-2011 @ 01:14 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Eddie played drunk at Nassau ?

I got a text message from a friend during the show last night and he said Ed was trashed, then after tho concert, my brother in law calls me and said "it was good show, but Eddie was drunk.."

Did anyone else think this? Im going to the MSG show next week
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

"EVERYBODY UP!!!"™
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-20-2021 @ 05:28 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,978 Times in 1,378 Posts

Here we go .......

Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-15-2012 @ 10:16 PM
    Status
    Thanks

fuck lets see if any youtubes pop up

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    06-27-2015 @ 10:42 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Thank God Dave is outstanding on this tour.

We are no dummies here at the ROTH ARMY.

DAVID LEE ROTH IS VAN HALEN!

Edward is a sad shell of his former self.

"EVERYBODY UP!!!"™
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-20-2021 @ 05:28 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,978 Times in 1,378 Posts

Originally posted by CVH Rulz

Full On Cocktard

Member No
    Last Online
    04-06-2008 @ 09:24 AM
    Status
    Thanks

I was at the show at Nassau Coliseum last night and EDDIE WAS NOT DRUNK.He seemed tired and made some mistakes,but he was sober.Is he not allowed to screw up occasionally?The show still kicked ass,and Eddie still gave 110%.Alex is without a doubt the best drummer in rock,still amazing and getting better with age.Wolfgang played and sang great,the bass has never sounded better onstage(sadly).Dave was his old self,athough his voice actually sounded HIGHER, espicially when he spoke to the crowd before singing "Ice Cream Man".When he talks he does'nt have the deep baritone anymore.But Eddie was great,nailing "I'm The One","Unchained",hell,EVERYTHING!He screwed up the first verse of "Mean Streets",and jokingly smacked himself in the back of the head before the chorus while the band all laughed with him.The band were getting along great and you would be a shithead to miss this show.They are back and just warming up folks.The real fun will begin with a new album.

Roadie
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-06-2008 @ 08:25 AM
    Status
    Thanks

To say Ed is a "sad shell of his former self" is nothing short of ridiculous. Ed has never been perfect. Check all the old youtubes and videos. Listen to old bootlegs. Ed has always been about having a blast. He never once stood in one place and concentrated on techniqhe. He is constantly movong, jumping, interacting with Wolf, Dave, Al, and the crowd. Of course he's gonna screw up sometimes. It is obviously worse when he's shithouses, as I perceived in Worcester. He was flawless in Boston and Mohegan Sun, and he looked sober as a judge to me those nights.

Ed's solos are difficult. He wrote them all 25 years+ in the past and hasn't played most of these songs for decades. He's 52, a cancer survivor, a (on and off) recovering alchoholic. Yet he still brings a 95 mile per hour fastball and a devestating curve ball. He's not the complete game 3 hit pitcher he once was. But he can still give you seven or eight strong innings every other night for 6 months.

I was as pissed as anyone when he was cocked in Worcester and made multiple mistakes. But he's still Ed and ripping through two hours
    just awesome material. He may throw the ocassional wild pitch, but he's still strking out double digits every night.

Thanks forthe dream.- DLR
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    08-19-2021 @ 12:39 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Maybe people are confusing the way he is so friggin happy with being drunk. I don't know.

Full On Cocktard

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

The man is also missing 3/4 of his tongue due to cancer,so he may sound a little slurred when he addresses the audience.As far as his playong,he needs more time to get used to playing the songs again and just playing LIVE to an audience again.When pepole look back to old Van Halen,they were touring every year and playing over 100 shows.That's why he played so fluid then and could do the songs in his sleep.Like I posted earlier,he and the band are just warming up.

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-15-2012 @ 10:16 PM
    Status
    Thanks

well anyways i cant wait for the 20th!!

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-07-2016 @ 01:20 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,110 Times in 2,874 Posts

Same here!

Drop and give me ten!
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-16-2023 @ 03:37 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by CVH Rulz

Stop this.

He still kicks ass.

Drop and give me ten!
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-16-2023 @ 03:37 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Let's give the guy a break!

We had a blast In Minneapolis!

great show!!!

once again..tired of the haters!

king of cool
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    04-06-2018 @ 02:53 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by NATEDOG001976

great show!!!

Sup Nate...

How was the Halloween party?

Eat 'Em And Smile Bitch!!
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-02-2012 @ 07:29 PM
    Status
    Thanks

We're in an era where every show pops up on the internet within a week. This band has probably made the same amount of mistakes on this tour that they made back in the 70s.

There really is no need to overthink this tour. They're back with Dave....they sound awesome.....that's it. Enjoy it.

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    06-27-2015 @ 10:42 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Originally posted by NATEDOG001976

great show!!!

I'm not a hater whatsoever. I love Ed. I'm also very realistic about what I'm seeing and hearing. We got lucky in MPLS, but he was and is by no means close to what he used to be. You all can make as many excuses as you want, but that's the facts. I personally don't care, because I had a great time regardless. What I find sad is that most of his "problems" are self-induced.

If he's NOT drinking and still can't remember any of the songs, well then I don't know what to say. I'm glad I saw them when I did. And I'm glad Dave was fantastic.

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    12-31-2015 @ 07:12 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I guess anything is possible when it comes to Mr. VH, but I think for now most of the shows glitches can be blamed on a piss poor sound crew and Ed's just not 22 years old anymore. Lets be realistic folks, Ed's mistakes aside, it is still the best Rock Show going right now and you would be nuts to let it fly by your town without a look. I have seen the show twice and without sounding to biased, Dave is stealing the show and believe it or not Al is really taking this tour seriously also. I was on cloud 9 at the Philly show. We were quite fortunate, because Ed was really on at this particular show. Unlike the DC show Ed's solo was tight and he played well. I can understand the alcohol accusations, because Ed was acting a little out of sorts at the DC Show too, but I will give him the benefit of the doubt and chalk it up to equipment problems. Keep it together Ed, you and the boys have delivered a much needed shot of adrenaline into Rock and Roll and it would be nice if you and Dave could keep the fire burning for a little while.

Air Guitar Assassin
    Full On Cocktard
    Member No
    Last Online
    11-11-2007 @ 12:22 AM
    Status
    Thanks

I was there Mike and I do not think Ed was drunk. Enjoy the show Tuesday (Joey told me you were going).

Sheep Pen Emperor
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 03:09 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,327 Times in 856 Posts

Depends...who knows...who cares...if he's dry, he's dry, if he's not, it's not any big surprise to anybody...or shouldn't be, at any rate. I've got a friend in the industry who's familiar with him and tells me he's drinking again, but fuck, who knows? As long as he's been drinking now, he's going to have problems for the rest of his life regardless of whether he's totally dry or not, there's no stopping that. As a result, he's going to have good nights and bad nights and when they're bad, they'll be REALLY bad.

Enjoy it while it lasts, I guess...

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:02 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,267 Times in 1,488 Posts

Blog Entries
    Is it really gonna be a shocker that Ed turns up drunk at a few gigs here and there?

For a fan, that 'risk' just comes with the territory with this band.

Roadie

Member No
    Last Online
    01-21-2009 @ 05:10 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Like others, I too went to the Nassau show and it was kick ass. The sound suffered due to the fact that the ceiling of Nassau is all beams and the sound gets muffled and lost. Eddie made a few mistakes but over all he sounded great. I believe he might have a little wet brain and when he speaks it sounds a little slurred. I would have to say that Dave was assume and Wolfie can play the shit out of the bass. Alex was strong but he was always the most consistant in the band anyway. I'm heading to the Garden this week to hopefully scalp a ticket. One thing about this concert, during the show you just knew that you were witnessing something special, something more important than any of the individual players. I go to a lot of concerts and this rates as one of the best by far!

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    12-31-2015 @ 07:12 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Well, unlike the two YES men Mike and Sam, I think Dave would beat the f**K out of Ed if he began ruining this tour with drinking and piss poor playing.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    It may well have been that the tour was delayed for several months because Roth wouldn't do it unless Ed made an attempt to clean up his act...fuck, as bad as Dave wanted it, man still has some pride.

Ed's probably gonna drink until the day he dies. I don't know it for a fact anymore than I know Ed, but seems like Ed really just plain LIKES to drink and smoke.

Long as the fucker isn't falling-down shitfaced if/when I go to see them, really don't care. Ed was slightly bombed onstage through many of CVH's gigs back in the day. No reason that's gonna change now.

Long as I get my kicks one more time seeing Roth and EVH together live one more time, could really give a fuck what happens to Ed regarding his drinking once it's all over. Only use I got for EVH now is what he's doing with Dave, and the length and amount of output this current Roth/EVH alliance produces...it's all on a day-to-day basis for me. Not gonna be shocked if the tour ends tomorrow and I never get to see them again. Been let down too many times before to even ALLOW myself to think this is gonna last beyond the immediate series of dates, never mind them actually FINISHING the dates on the schedule.

If they end up making a new album together, or put out a dvd CVH box set, or whatever, great, I'll buy it. Long as Roth is on vocals, Ed can get my money. If not, take a walk, Van Heineken.

If Ed pulls the plug on all of it tomorrow, runs back to his 5150 hidey-hole and spends the next year drinking himself to death, that's great, too. Fuck him. The net effect their current endeavours have on me is on my terms, not theirs.
    Last edited by Terry; 11-11-2007 at 09:50 AM.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Originally posted by ULTRAMAN VH
    Well, unlike the two YES men Mike and Sam, I think Dave would beat the f**K out of Ed if he began ruining this tour with drinking and piss poor playing.
    Mike and Sam stuck around long enough to finish the gigs in 2004 and make the money, THEN ran to the press AFTER it was all over and complained about Ed's drinking.

Spineless alcohol salesman whining about Ed's drinking after the point where it could have done any good, far as the shows went.

One hopes Roth would take the high road should the same situation present itself this year, and pull out of the tour. If he actually WOULD is a different matter, but the band sounds fine from what I've heard.

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-08-2021 @ 12:33 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by Terry
    Mike and Sam stuck around long enough to finish the gigs in 2004 and make the money, THEN ran to the press AFTER it was all over and complained about Ed's drinking.

Spineless alcohol salesman whining about Ed's drinking after the point where it could have done any good, far as the shows went.

One hopes Roth would take the high road should the same situation present itself this year, and pull out of the tour. If he actually WOULD is a different matter, but the band sounds fine from what I've heard.

The band sounds great! and Terry's statements about the two Magoos and the '04 Tour are Spot ON.

Full On Cocktard

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I cannot understand why people and so negative and skeptical about the band being back together.They are giving it all they can every night after a few months rehearsels.They have'nt played together in22 years,so give it a fuckin rest.The old chemistry is coming back slowly,and we should look at their future with hope,not everything negative that is in the past.The band feeds off us , so lets give them positive energy.

Full On Cocktard

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I cannot understand why people are so negative and skeptical about the band being back together.They are giving it all they can every night after a few months rehearsels.They have'nt played together in22 years,so give it a fuckin rest.The old chemistry is coming back slowly,and we should look at their future with hope,not everything negative that is in the past.The band feeds off us , so lets give them positive energy.

∞ SHEEP PEN GYPSY
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-25-2024 @ 06:27 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,031 Times in 685 Posts

They're putting on a DAMN GOOD show.....

That's all anybody can expect........

EVH is OLD...as much by his doing as by the hand of time.....he's still capable......

Go to the show...you won't be let down

DILLIGAF?
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    02-22-2008 @ 04:07 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by kastco
    I believe he might have a little wet brain and when he speaks it sounds a little slurred.
    Ever tried to talk with part of your fucking tongue cut off, Einstein??

Roadie

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by scorpion73
    I cannot understand why people are so negative and skeptical about the band being back together.They are giving it all they can every night after a few months rehearsels.They have'nt played together in22 years,so give it a fuckin rest.The old chemistry is coming back slowly,and we should look at their future with hope,not everything negative that is in the past.The band feeds off us , so lets give them positive energy.
    Anyone who says the show sucks hasn't seen the show. Roth sounded assume, Eddie was playing pretty damn well, Alex was good and steady as usual and Wolfie can play that bass. Just as good as MA in my opinion. The chemistry was definately there and certainly looked sincere. If Eddie patted Dave on the back once he must have done it a dozen times. They were both smiling like they just won the lotto. Dave and Wolfie seemed to get along great and Dave paid him a very nice compliment. Overall in my opinion the show was fantastic, one of the best I've seen. I saw the boys back in the early eighties and I enjoyed this show much better. The only negative was the sound and that was due to the building not the band.

Roadie

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by naturochem
    Ever tried to talk with part of your fucking tongue cut off, Einstein??
    No I never had any of my tongue cut off but I have heard plently of former heavy drinkers talk and many of them slur their speech. If you read my entire post you would relize it wasn't a slight on Eddie, Einstein. You gotta love these computer tough guys. Same guys who wouldn't open their mouths if they met you in person.

DILLIGAF?
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by kastco
    No I never had any of my tongue cut off but I have heard plently of former heavy drinkers talk and many of them slur their speech. If you read my entire post you would relize it wasn't a slight on Eddie, Einstein. You gotta love these computer tough guys. Same guys who wouldn't open their mouths if they met you in person.
    Yeah, I feel the same way, toughguy.... too bad we live across the fuckin country from one another as I'd be happy to use your smart assed fuckface for sparing practice - in a ring, cage, or on a fuckin street corner for that matter... In person, you wouldn't even look my way crosseyed, skippy...

Shoot me a PM should you ever decide to visit the bay area & get the stones to give it a go, fuckstick...

juicecrell
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-03-2012 @ 03:06 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by diamondjimi
    Here we go .......

FUCKIN A' RIGHT!

THE ACEHOLE SUPREME
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    07-27-2020 @ 07:49 PM
    Status
    Thanks

DING,DING

∞ SHEEP PEN GYPSY
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-25-2024 @ 06:27 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,031 Times in 685 Posts

Gentlemen...try the decaf

DILLIGAF?
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by jharp84
    FUCKIN A' RIGHT!
    Originally posted by ace diamond
    DING,DING
    You two crazy bastards still at it??

Just got back from the fuckin Raider game.... Don't know which blow's worse, the fuckin Raiders or kastco's mama... :eek:

Fuckin tough to be a Raider fan these days.... I have to say there were a number of balsy Bears fans out there today!! Some crazy fuckin Bears fan knocked this guy down the stairs right next to me (dude was blockin his view..) & the guy gets up & clocks Mr. ChiTown.... I snatched the Bears fan up by his Hester jersey & told him if he valued his life he better get the fuck out of there quick!!

He took my words to heart & tried to make it outta there, but too late....three other fucks were on him. I knocked two of them off of him (nobody should get killed over fuckin football..) & then the fuckin cops finally showed....

Another day in Oaktown....

THE ACEHOLE SUPREME
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    07-27-2020 @ 07:49 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by naturochem
    You two crazy bastards still at it??

juicecrell
    Veteran