Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

The Official San Antonio 1/24 Meetup/Review Thread

New date announced....

VA
    Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Full On Cocktard
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Hell Yeah!!! I knew they wouldn't snub Texas. San Antonio here I come. Time to fucking party.

5 TIME CHAMPS!
    Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I got one thing to say..... DEATH TO TICKET MASTER AND SCALPERS!! I was logged on and ready to buy tickets at 10:00am Saturday morning. I selected best available option and I had to wait 7 minutes until the search came back.... section 222 row 30? WTF! http://ticketsanyevent.com/venues/at..._tickets.shtml
    I was devastated and I didn’t accept them. I thought, oh well....
    Just to be curious, I went to besttix.com to see what they had and low and behold, they had all the good tickets already. I really don’t get that. Does Ticket Bastards give the scalpers first picks? Anyway..... I really wanted to witness history and I definitely will not pay 4 times the price to scalpers. So I went back to Ticket Scammers and I chose best available again and I got better tickets this time. Section 225 row 11. How is that? I bought them. I haven’t seen Ed and Alex live since 1984 and Dave since 1988. For all you panzie asses who think the crowd on those you-tube video’s are going nuts, you haven’t seen shit. San Antonio knows how to bring it. Hell, we will give you your monies worth if any of you want to see a real show.. Not only will you witness a rocking crowd, you will also see fights, muggings and some poor kids getting their shirts taken from them. And best yet, if you bring an extra pack of Cool Filter Kings, you might get your wee-wee licked from a woman with no teeth. Now that’s a bargain! Our mayor decided to build the new Spurs arena in the hood and it’s about 7 minutes from my house. I can’t wait! Since my Cowboys are kicking ass, time will fly by pretty fast.

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Sticky, T minus one week.....

Roth Army Recruit

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Comoing down from Georgeotwn, would love to meet up before the show.

Anyone???

Full On Cocktard
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I'm coming up from Corpus Christi. I don't know of anywhere to meet by the venue, since it's located in the hood. I'm going to go somewhere on the riverwalk. Where I don't know yet.

"I don't feel tardy"©
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I can't wait, 2nd time for me,Dec 30 Las Vegas the first show...

Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    T minus 1....

5 TIME CHAMPS!
    Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I’ve been to thousands of concerts since 1978 and this was the worst sounding concert I’ve ever been to! WTF? We in SA waited 23 years to hear this crap? It sounded like listing to music under water and it’s not the venue, because the AT&T Center is known to have great sounding concerts in there. The crowd got very quiet after the second song and that just killed the atmosphere and San Antonio crowds are known to bring it. I’m soooo disappointed at this concert and many others too. I talked to hundreds of people walking out and they said the same thing, so it wasn’t where we were sitting and it wasn’t loud at all, because I could hear my buddy talking to me from three chairs away. But what pisses me off even more is that they “looked” like they were on fire. Eddie was nailing the songs big time! I’ve seen some crappy youtube solo’s, but not tonight! Actually, the whole band impressed me and I’m a very picky guy when it comes to live performances. Van Halen brought their A game, because they only messed up on one song which was Panama. Man, if the sound was way better, this concert would probably be in my top 10 favorite concerts of all time. The drum solo sounded great and the guitar solo sounded great, but when the band played together it sounded like mush with no dynamics or impact. Since I play bass, I want to comment on Wolf. Talent wise, he has what it takes, good playing and cool harmonies. But...... his tone SUCKS! His tone is not CVH, it’s waaay to thin. He has his tone set like he is playing with another guitarist helping him out with the rhythm section, but that could be the sound man’s fault. Did they even have a sound check? For the money we paid for the tickets, we deserved much more. I’ve seen CVH in 79, 80, 81, 82 and 84, but this concert just didn’t have that feel of a CVH concert. The light show and stage looked very lame now that I’ve witnessed it in person. But I do have hope for the future of Van Halen, because all my complaints can be fixed. They still have what it takes to play those awesome CVH songs and that’s why I have hope.

Band performance. A+
    Stage and lights. C
    Sound. Is there any thing lower than an F?
    Crowd. It kills me to admit this, but a C-
    I think the crowd would’ve been a typical SA crowd if the sound guys had shown up.:confused:

25-ppm
    Full On Cocktard

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Don't worry, you're not alone. I was going to say the same thing about okc. Everyone has been so excited I didn't really have the heart. The other part is that no one here knows me, I don't know them. It's hard to tell if it's all upbeat here. I found this forum thru a discussion about ed's rig. Everything you said was dead on and very perceptive. I wish I could write what I wanted to write. But in short .... the FRONT OF THE HOUSE sound guy needs to be fired immediately. Today. Now.

There are some very amazing things going on in the show. Wolf is amazing. He doesnt seem to be any LA affected anything. He even seemed a little bewildered by Uncle Dave's antics. Dad's too.

But when he got loose ... he rockked. Ed was prodding. He even had a little tapping sequence of his own. There was not a false moment in him. But the sound was cancelling him out.

There were also times when the bass was crucial to the song , and it just wasn't there, the bottom. Now that being said .....

I don't know what happened after the second song , when Dave rapped for a second. It looked at first as if they were just going thru the motions. But when they came back out they just destroyed for a SOLID HOUR. Of course the sound guy didn't dial in the snare until Pretty Woman, well over an hour , which was (surprise!) right before the drum solo ! Shocking . Obviously he had alot on his hands, but apparently they had been there since Saturday. Get rid of the "Rock Guy". He didn't look terribly happy after the show.

As Go-Spurs-Go said, it looked mind-blowing at times, the jam. It was stunned silence during Cathedral, including Security. And we could hear it finally. Something got fixed , so something was wrong.

There's something very special happening here.

5 TIME CHAMPS!
    Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by Bobby Van Halen
    It's hard to tell if it's all upbeat here.

Most people in the Van Halen related forums are really cool and they will accept your opinion. Just stay away from the “Front Line” because that forum has some real assholes over there, because they won’t tolerate any ones opinions accept theirs. I used to post here quite often, but they drove me to not like this place that much.

the FRONT OF THE HOUSE sound guy needs to be fired immediately. Today. Now.

I couldn’t agree more! I think they cut corners when it came to the lights, stage and especially the horrible sound crew.

There were also times when the bass was crucial to the song , and it just wasn't there, the bottom. the sound was cancelling him out.

And this is dead on! The sound didn’t have any impact at all. The kick drum didn’t have any kick to it at all, and no pop in the stare and Wolf’s bass didn’t make my heart skip not one beat. When I go see a concert, I want the “low-end” frequencies screwing with my heart rate, I want to feel the bass thru my body, and that didn’t happen. Nikki Sixx in not a very good bass player, but when I saw the “Dr. Feelgood” tour, his bass sound kicked my ass! In my opinion, Van Halen is the best band in the history of music, and they keep allowing this to happen over and over on this tour. I don’t freaking get it!

Full On Cocktard
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I have to agree with the last 2 replys. The sound just "SUCKED". You couldn't hear Dave's voice during the songs. It was muddled through out the song. The band was on fire,but that fucking sound was horrible. It was a good concert and the house was packed, but that fucking sound just "SUCKED". I was looking forward to having my ears ringing for 3 days.

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    So much for talk of a new sound crew for the 2nd leg, eh ??

Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I was in the nosebleed section on the right side of the stage. For some reason the acoustics weren't that bad there. Although when that opening reggae band opened I was worried. The bass had way too much bottom for a while.

That is the only thing I hate about concerts...worried about the sound. Same thing happened with Alice In Chainz. You never know the monkey you're going to get manning the knobs.

Thread Information