Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

The Official Denver 2/1 Meetup/Review Thread

New date announced....

VA
    Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Sticky, T minus one week.....

ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    2/4 I couldn't find a thread but if the weather is rite I may be on time for the rock show.

Dig it!

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by thome
    2/4 I couldn't find a thread but if the weather is rite I may be on time for the rock show.

Dig it!
    Are you talking about the Omaha show ??

http://www.rotharmy.com/forums/showt...threadid=51261

I'll sticky it tomorrow, one week out...

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Looks like it was another good show....

A 'Jump' back to Van Halen's roots, reunion worth the wait

By Mark Brown, Rocky Mountain News (Contact)
    Saturday, February 2, 2008

The Van Halen reunion has been messed up so many times in so many different ways that it's amazing that the band is rolling across the country in 2008 as a tight unit, ripping through some of the biggest songs in classic rock.

Fans wearing "David Lee Roth IS Van Halen" T-shirts in the crowd saw that it's partially true, partially not.

Having Roth, one of rock's finest frontmen when he wants to be, back with the band and songs he made world-famous is a great, great thing. But equally great is having Eddie Van Halen back on top of his game, looking night-and-day healthier than his last stop through town.

Then again, maybe it's musical comfort food. By definition, the band couldn't play anything past 1984, as Roth left the band a year later, so the show was a throwback to simpler times. Simply seeing EVH and DLR sharing a stage - happily so - is a sight many fans thought they'd never see again.

Halfway through the opening You Really Got Me, the band simply paused and the exhilarated arena let out a lusty cheer, thrilled to see the band in close to its original incarnation.

What was lacking was any sense of a false reunion. Sure they're pulling in the cash on this sold-out tour, but cash has never been enough to make them put aside their egos. At the very least they're willing to put up with each other to make this happen.

Despite the fact that they're endlessly on the radio, one forgets just how many huge hits the original band put out in its six years of fire before implosion.

Favorites like Hot For Teacher and Beautiful Girls were obvious picks to bring down the house, but album tracks like Mean Streets and Everybody Wants Some kept the crowd just as rabid. With the biggest big screen ever and lasers aplenty, Van Halen put on an old-school rock show, fearlessly blasting through hits and rock star poses (though I don't think anyone would have objected to more shirts, less skin).

Teenaged Wolfgang Van Halen was the revelation, handling bass and vocals deftly with a style obviously derived from his father but not cloned. Hard-core fans say it's not Van Halen without Michael Anthony on bass, but no one was complaining Friday night.

At press time, big hits like Jump and Ain't Talkin' About Love were still to come, but with the VH reunion, apparently the fifth time's the charm.

Van Halen

* When: Friday night

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Van Halen still puts on a rockin' show
    By Ricardo Baca
    Denver Post Music Critic
    Article Last Updated: 02/02/2008 10:37:26 PM MST

Singer David Lee Roth waves a flag above drummer Alex Van Halen and guitarist Eddie Van Halen at the Pepsi Center on Friday night. They sounded as tight and reckless as ever. (John Leyba, The Denver Post )The flashy brand of rock 'n' roll that put Van Halen into the public's heart — and the history books — was all about putting on a show: Diamond David Lee Roth's outrageous antics and guitarist Eddie Van Halen's otherworldly ability on the fretboard.

Given that kind of a history, the band's reunion show Friday night at the Pepsi Center was an outright success.

Knowing well that "Everybody Wants Some," three-quarters of the original band gave it to them. New addition Wolfgang Van Halen, Eddie's 16-year-old son, replaced original bassist Michael Anthony last year and was in proper form to boot.

This was the reunion most true Van Halen fans had been waiting for. The mostly original lineup didn't disappoint, carrying through with each of the band's signature moves and famous songs — and looking oddly happy while doing it.

"You Really Got Me" was a decent opener, but what really got the crowd pumped was the happiness with which it was carried out. Formerly public enemies, Eddie Van Halen and Diamond Dave looked like buddies who had known each other for 20-plus years. (Which they kind of are.)

It could have been honest, or it could have been a facade, but all the hugging and smiles was exactly what the crowd wanted to see.

The band started out playing pretty tight, but the years that had passed since 1984 (and "1984") seemed obvious. But by the third song, "Runnin' With the Devil," the group had erased any doubt in the haters' minds. This was Van Halen, and they were back sounding as tight and reckless as ever.

Roth, wearing a sequined mariachi- matador hybrid with numerous top hats, acknowledged the not-quite- complete reunion early on, and his honestly was appreciated.

Eddie Van Halen walked on the stage at 9 p.m. in white cargo pants, Chuck Taylors and no shirt — looking toned and fit. He and his band didn't leave until after 11:15 p.m., proving they still had the two-plus hour set in them.

A couple lame covers padded the lengthy set, of course, including The Who's "Magic Bus" and Roy Orbison's "Pretty Woman" (snatched from the 1982 Van Halen record "Diver Down"). But most of the hits rang as true as they did two decades ago.

Most impressive was "Panama," which ignited the encore. It is an amazing '80s-rock song, yes, but this track proved a timelessness that was otherwise absent the rest of the band's catalog.

"Beautiful Girls" was a fun and silly crowd-pleaser, but "Somebody Get Me a Doctor" said more about the band and who they are in 2008. Roth started the song on his own with a harmonica and a megaphone, and the band seemed to translate the track to this very different time and age. As expected, "Jump" closed out the night, and it was a fine jolt — although it was disappointing the band chose to play to tracked synths instead of a live keyboard.

A massively wide screen stretched the width of the stage and provided the crowd with tasty close-ups of Eddie Van Halen's ridiculous fret work and drummer Alex Van Halen's mastery of an very large drum kit. The gigantic screen gave the show a welcomed sense of intimacy — especially because the Pepsi Center, while the perfect place to see Van Halen, is a cavernous concert venue.
    BABY PANA 2 IS Coming !! All across the land, let the love and beer flow !
    Love ya Mary Frances!

Use my hand, I won't look
    ____Van Fuckin' Halen____
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by Panamark

Most impressive was "Panama," which ignited the encore. It is an amazing '80s-rock song, yes, but this track proved a timelessness that was otherwise absent the rest of the band's catalog.
    WTF??? They're all timeless... he lost me at that point.
    Quote Originally Posted by wiseguy View Post
    That shit will welcome you in the morning and pour the milk in your count chocula for ya.

Full On Cocktard
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    2nd leg of the tour seems to be moving in fine form. Now if they will just record some new tunes this summer and release them for us over the holidays...thats what I'm talking about...

Thread Information