Last Online
    01-28-2024 @ 09:22 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,517 Times in 2,422 Posts

The Official Jacksonville 2/16 Meetup/Review Thread

New date announced....

VA
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

won hung low
    Roth Army Recruit
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-12-2013 @ 04:30 PM
    Status
    Thanks

FUCKIN A

I am there!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KANE, WHERE ARE YOU MY LITTLE BIOTCH? BRING YO ASS UP FROM HASTINGS
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Roth Army Recruit
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-24-2020 @ 04:40 AM
    Status
    Thanks

we are going! know any close hotels?

won hung low
    Roth Army Recruit
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by mjm1984
    I'll let you know, there is a nice hotel within walking distance to the arena--used to be adams mark --but has changed the name recently-

********tix go on sale dec 8th at 10am**************

=OWWWWWWWWW=
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    09-02-2013 @ 10:05 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by unregistered
    I'll let you know, there is a nice hotel within walking distance to the arena--used to be adams mark --but has changed the name recently-

********tix go on sale dec 8th at 10am**************
    Why don't you register?

Just talked to Dad and a couple of childhood friends who are in Florida and it looks very likely that I'm gonna hit this show too. Dad has no idea how much fun he's gonna have watching me rock my guts out right next to him.

NC, Fla, NJ...I gots to have sum mo Van Halen. The future is so bright I'm outta here to go get some new shades.

VAN HALEN BITCHES!!!!!!!!!!

Spark on the Horizon!
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-25-2024 @ 10:55 PM
    Status
    Thanks

We'll be driving through Jax that day for our annual visit with Mickey. Sure would love to stay for this show. Come to think of it, the Daytona 500 is the next day. Those of you needing to book accomodations better do it early. I'm betting hotels will be booked at least as far as Jacksonville.

Use my hand, I won't look
    ____Van Fuckin' Halen____
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    10-27-2020 @ 08:17 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,707 Times in 1,035 Posts

Does anyone plan on getting extra tickets? If so, please PM me!

won hung low
    Roth Army Recruit
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by mjm1984

There is the hyatt regency, that is the closest hotel to the venue.

http://www.jacksonville.hyatt.com/hy...tels/index.jsp It is across the street from the Jacksonville Landing, Also there is a crowne plaza across the river
    www.cpjacksonville.com

Hope this helps

I secured section 113, row P --- this is club seating --with a full bar right behind you. and restrooms very close
    Last edited by unregistered; 12-08-2007 at 05:56 PM.

Roadie
    Member No
    Last Online
    07-28-2011 @ 12:59 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Tickets in hand!!

I just hope to goodness the momotum of the tour is still alive in eight weeks...

Regardless, looking forward to it!!

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Sticky, T minus one week....

Roadie
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Cool T-minus 24 hours....

OK...who else is heading down?

Leaving South Georgia around noon!!

Roadie
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Great show...horrible PA

The boys were excellent, really, really enjoyed it...but FIRE THE STINKING SOUND COMPANY AND GET SOMEONE WHO CAN ACTUALLY MIX LIVE MUSIC!!

David Lee's vocals were simply buried for about 1/2 the show. Background vocals dominated lead vocals constantly. At times Eddie's guitar was so loud it was literally painful. Overall, the mix was AWFUL for far too much of the show.

But - BUT - besides that, it was a great night. Eddie was on and DLR was really working to get the vocals right. Wolfie smiled through most of it, and Alex - well, Alex was the anchor as always. There is a magic that exists between DLR and EVH, and you can feel it in the room when they are onstage together. I found myself with tears in my eyes more than once, and for gnarled and calloused 44-year old that was no small feat.

I will post a column I've written for our local newspaper later this afternoon about the entire experience.
    Last edited by Firebrand; 02-17-2008 at 11:03 AM.

Roadie
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Here y'all go....

Old Rockers Reunite - with Kids

I’ve been a rock music fan since the day I arrived on this earth some 44 years ago. For around 30 of those, I’ve actually made a stab at being a rock guitar player – and some folks have told me through those years I’m pretty good at it.

As a teacher, I get the opportunity to spend time around today’s teenagers, and the more time I spend around them the more I learn they have about as much use for much of today’s rock music as I do – which ain’t much.

Some of my ‘coolest’ students today have Boston music on their cell phones as ring tones. I bought my first Boston LP in 1976. I saw Boston live in 1977.

And kids are using their music for their ring tones today.

In fact, I will go as far to say that most kids who listen to rock today are listening to almost the exact same music I listened to when I was a kid. Furthermore, in some cases, the parents and their kids are today listening to the same music.

This point was illustrated perfectly this week.

On Saturday, my favorite band from my younger years, Van Halen, played in Jacksonville with their original lead singer, David Lee Roth, for the first time in 23 years ago. So Gene Carlton – with whom I have played in a band with for the last 25 or so years – and I loaded up to go to a real rock concert together for the first time since the last time we saw Van Halen in 1984.

On the way down, we reminisced about all of our rocker glory days. Neither of us played because we were wild men – actually, quite the opposite. We played because we loved the music.

I wondered out loud if this tour, with 50-something rockers starring, might be sponsored by Metamucil.

When we pulled into the parking lot, I got out of the truck to hear “Mr. Young!, Mr. Young!”, and lo and behold up pulls one of my students and his family – mom, dad, and brother – parking right beside us.

His dad asked how the young man was doing in my class, whereupon I told him he had missed a major project, what he could do to improve the grade, etc., and the dad responded he would get with me to talk about it.

In other words, I had a teacher/student/parent conference in the parking lot of a Van Halen concert. Wow.

Once inside, we settled next to a 50-something Gator fan sitting next to us who had the worst breath in the western hemisphere, and of course who proceeded to talk my head off at close range for an hour.

I scanned the room constantly, not just to avoid his halitosis, but mainly to take in all the moms, dads, sons and daughters who were in attendance together. In fact, out of the 11,000 or so there, probably near half were families.

The concert itself continued that theme. The band’s original bass player has been replaced with the 16-year old son of genius guitarist Eddie Van Halen, Wolfgang. There was something inspiring, if not cool, to see this god of rock and roll onstage with his own son - and Eddie’s pride in being up there with him beamed through his countenance.

See, Eddie Van Halen has had his share of rock star troubles, and then some. He had hip replacement surgery over a decade ago, the socket worn out from all the wear and tear of years on the stage. His bouts with severe alcoholism led to a well-publicized divorce from actress Valerie Bertinelli. Then his smoking led to oral cancer, which led to part of his tongue having to be removed, reconstructive surgery, depression, another bout of alcolohism, etc.

Wolfgang Van Halen, his son, told his father that it was a mistake for him to continue his near quarter-century feud with Roth because, as he has been quoted as saying to the press, “together the two of them made some of the best rock in history.” Eddie asked his son to mediate, and eventually be in, the reunion of the band.

Now, I don’t know this for a fact, but it seems common sense. I believe Eddie discovered several things along the way to this years’ tour. He discovered that, yes, he and Roth still made magic together. But he also discovered that it is far more difficult for a father to self-destruct under the watchful guise of his own child.

In the past when Van Halen played, Eddie endlessly chain-smoked and drank. In fact, on their last tour, things got so bad that at times the man generally regarded as arguably the single best rock guitarist in history was booed by his own adoring fans, nauseated at the sight of what he had become.

On Saturday, Eddie never lit up. He drank bottled water. He was fit, tan, clear-eyed, and beaming from ear to ear, playing and moving around the stage like he did 25 years ago, glowing like a man reclaiming years of time lost.

And when he prowled to the side of the stage where his son played, he looked – well, he looked like a proud daddy.

Roth and Eddie hugged, winked, sang, hugged, and played together throughout the set. Whatever venom that existed between them seems almost an afterthought. Could be that the demons that had possessed Eddie through his self-destructive spiral have finally been exorcised – all by the hands and heart of his own son.

I watched the show unfold, and at times I found myself with tears in my eyes. Why, you ask? Maybe it was because for one moment in time, I was 19 again, taken back to those glory years through that music I loved. Maybe it was because someone I have admired so much – Eddie -had triumphantly, finally returned with his elixir - David Lee - and his tonic – Wolfgang – on either side.

But in the end, looking around the room and seeing mothers, fathers, sons and daughters dancing, clapping, and singing together, I was reminded of my own son and daughter. In the end, they are what it is all about, the greatest blessing in our lives.

All the mom and pop rockers with their kids in the stands knew it – and thankfully, now so does a living legend who was blessed to be given the opportunity to be onstage with his.
    Last edited by Firebrand; 02-17-2008 at 01:43 PM.

Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    01-05-2016 @ 12:58 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Nice! Cheers Firebrand!

Full On Cocktard

Member No
    Last Online
    04-13-2010 @ 12:29 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Firebrand, this was a fuckin cool piece, thanks.

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    02-29-2008 @ 02:52 PM
    Status
    Thanks

That is truly what is all about...Wow what a great read! I got teary eyed reading it thinking about my boys and I going to the show and how much we listen to the same music. Sounds like this guy knows alot about guitar playing and he must have been pretty impressed last night. Thanks Firebrand for posting this! 5 stars my friend!

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Now that's a review....

Well said my friend....

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

More complaints on the sound...

Good to know that I'm not going crazy....

http://www.jacksonville.com/tu-onlin...48001733.shtml

Van Halen rocks the arena

By ROGER BULL, The Times-Union

The best thing about Saturday night's Van Halen concert at Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena was seeing almost all of the original band back together. The reunion that started last year brought lead singer David Lee Roth back on stage with the band for the first time in more than 20 years.

The worst was that you just couldn't hear Roth well enough. It went past the usual not being able to understand all the lyrics. We could barely hear him at all over the guitar, bass and drums of the three Van Halens. (It's even more a family affair these days now that 16-year-old Wolfgang Van Halen has taken up the bass and joined his father Eddie Van Halen and uncle Alex Van Halen.)

Maybe Roth still has the voice, maybe not. He seemed to be working hard at the vocals. He not as active as he once was, who is? All three original members are in their 50s, but still look more than fit.

Roth still pulled off a few of his signature leg-kicking jumps. And he mugged and preened for the crowd and the cameras, one part rock star, one part circus ringmaster. (Though I confess that the image of a game show host on a cruise ship came to mind from time to time.)

The music, however, was classic Van Halen. Eddie Van Halen is still one of the guitar gods and the show featured lots of Eddie, from the minute he showed up on stage, shirtless and solo. And he knows lots of ways to get notes out of an electric guitar. Tapping the strings, twisting the knobs, working the pedals and filling the arena with walls of feedback.

With the vocal so lost, it was Van Halen's trademark riffs that signaled the songs.

"You're going to get a free history lesson from Van Halen tonight," Roth announced. And the crowd - mostly 30s-50s, with a few scattered teens here and there - did. If they didn't sell it out the place, it was close. Even those sections along the side almost behind the stage were full.

The band took them back in time, moving quickly through about two hours worth of their songs, pretty much all from 1978 to 1984: You Really Got Me, I'm the One, Romeo Delight, Somebody Get Me a Doctor, Beautiful Girls, Dance the Night Away, Everybody Wants Some, So This Is Love, Pretty Woman, Unchained, And the Cradle Will Rock, Hot For Teacher, Little Guitars, Jamie's Cryin', Panama ...

Just for fun, bits of other songs like Magic Bus and Spoonful showed up here and there.

Alex Van Halen had his drum solo, Eddie Van Halen his guitar solo. Roth probably went out a little too long talking about teenage years in Pasadena before kicking of a fine acoustic-turned-electric version of Ice Cream Man.

It didn't take the band long to come back out for an encore. The synthesized sounds of 1984 came from somewhere while Roth waved a big red flag. Then they kicked into Jump and the big disco ball spun and confetti blew down from the ceiling.

Ky-Mani Marley, one of Bob's many singing sons, opened the show with a solid 30-minute set of reggae. It was a bit odd to have an opener play such completely different music, but it was fun and the crowd particularly responded to two of his father's best-known songs: No Woman No Cry and I Shot the Sheriff.

roger.bull@jacksonville.com, (904) 359-4296

Roadie
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Actually, I am glad to read that too...

...sometimes you wonder if you're the only one who notices something is wrong.

But overall, the sound was secondary to what was happening on the stage. Priceless.

Mind-Roaster
    Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    05-31-2018 @ 06:51 PM
    Status
    Thanks

guys, I actually thought the sound was better than some of the other shows I've seen. I could actually hear Ed and Dave. Maybe where you're sitting has a lot to do with it.

firebrand, great piece. I'm about to post my own review, which I wrote while my wife's driving back up to Atlanta today.

Mind-Roaster
    Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    05-31-2018 @ 06:51 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Van Halen Hits Its Stride, Blows Away Jacksonville

by DGT 2-18-08

Saturday, I drove down with the family from Atlanta to my sister-in-law's in Jacksonville. I was there that night for my 5th show this tour (Charlotte, Greensboro, New Orleans, Atlanta) and third in eight nights. The primary purpose, though, was to take my 17 year old nephew to see the heroes of MY youth, the Mighty Van Halen.

Let's paint the picture for a minute. About five years ago, my nephew was still listening to Britney Spears and had just picked up a guitar. Although his dad had one or two VH records, I felt it was my duty to introduce the young man all six of the Classic Van Halen records. Early on in the experiment, my efforts had not taken full effect, as he went to the Van Shamgar tour in 2004 with his folks. That was no way to view EVH live for the first time. In the years to follow, his playing improves and he is familiar with the entire VH catalog (the part that counts). When this tour finally went down, and a date was announced down here in Jacksonville, I knew what I had to do. We scored a pair of tickets three rows up from the floor on Eddie's side, a little closer than center court.

Flash forward to showtime, we settle down and endure the Ki-Mani Marley set. My eldest brother-in-law (the one with no kids) and his wife got the five star seats. We see them come in and settle in on the second row, dead fuckin’ center. Like I told him, I was going for quantity over quality.

Back to my nephew, I know the kid's doing OK when he cheers the end of kid Marley with, "Thank God that's over." The lights drop and VH takes the stage 10 minutes early at 8:50pm. We all know the set list by now, but I want to give you all a sense of the feeling on this show. First of all, the sound. I don't buy anyone who tries to tell me the sound was a problem. Every show I'd been to so far shared a common problem with the drums and bass drowning out Ed and Dave in the mix. For the first time last night, I was truly happy with the mix. I was able to hear Ed and Dave clearly all night.

Interaction: the guys were upbeat and happy all night. Dave seemed to talk a bit more, ribbing the other guys in the band throughout the evening. Dave told a story about how the band has a lot of friends in the Jacksonville area. He gets on Alex, saying that his lady friend is from here. The woman who he dreams about and who drives him wild. Oh yeah, and his wife's from here, too. He introduces Eddie as "the Burger King" leading into his solo. I don't get it, but Ed seemed to find it funny. He gives a hearty intro to Wolf on So This is Love, to which the crowd responds VERY enthusiastically.

Speaking of the crowd, this was a much better crowd than NO or ATL in recent nights, and was as good an atmosphere as I've seen since opening night.

Wolf, although not a demonstrative showman, seems very comfortable in his role. He accepts the spotlight for his few moments (RWTD intro, solo bit during Romeo, JC intro with his uncle). His playing seems to add a depth to the sound that Mike never really tried to do.

Dave was on all night. Entertaining the crowd, singing his ass off. He absolutely nailed Little Dreamer, holding the final note longer than I can ever remember Dave doing. A couple of strained notes here and there, but the dude’s still going for those notes in his 50’s. No complaints here.

Eddie sounded crisper and more energetic than he does most nights. My nephew was impressed, and the kid’s been trying to learn all these songs for a few years now. I got a kick out of watching him working the air fingers all night long. All the while singing along to every word (even the album cuts!).

What can I say about Alex? He’s been flawless every night. I never thought I would ever say this in 2008, but his drum solo is a nightly highlight. Not that many folks took advantage of the standard piss break. More than not, they were up on their feet.

Although the whole setlist is a stellar collection (evidence of this was plentiful last Sunday in Atlanta when my 7-yr-old, who was yawning before the show even started, spent almost the whole night on his feet), I really want to call out the first five numbers. Rarely can I recall a live experience thundering to such a phenomenal start.

After kicking the crowd’s ass with YRGM, I’m the One went over even better. When they stopped cold at the break section, the ovation was the loudest and longest since early in the tour. Then RWTD kicks all of our asses and more enthusiastic sing-a-longs ensue. It’s then that my favorite part kicks in.

Dave introduces Romeo on Saturday night with a quick rap of “the roof is on fire.” On this night, RD was complete with a longer snippet of Magic Bus than I’d seen. And Dave gets the words right this time, with “I want it” instead of “I like it”. Then he adds some flourish at the end.

“I want it, I want it, I want it….Tonight, Jacksonville, you CAN have it!”

Then the kick-ass harp solo, where he again manages to work in rhymes for Jacksonville and Florida, and off we go with SGMAD. The band surprises Dave with Mississippi Queen (Dave vox are stellar on this), which Dave follows up with a lead into “Spoonful”

The crowd is still going wild by the time EWS rolls around. Dave gets the car revved up with Eddie, although he admits his car sounds more like a Harley.

Mean Street thrills, Al’s solo stuns, and then Unchained throws a little more gas on the fire.

I’m always surprised with how much the crowd always loves “I’ll Wait.” But they really go nuts when HFT comes around on the guitar. I already gushed over Little Dreamer, but I’ll do it again. Dave sounded great!

Lights go down after Jamie’s Cryin’ and everyone’s pretty well fired up. When I saw my 5-star bro-in-law on Sunday, he told me he though the show was over at this point. He told his wife at the time, “ ‘not the best show I’ve seen, but pretty damn good.’ Little did I know, there was another third of the show left!”

Dave comes out for ICM and it’s story time again, after I missed it in Atlanta. The usual variation on Kenny and Stan and Arlene. But Dave enjoys telling it and the crowd enjoys hearing him tell it.

When they kick into Panama, the roof is officially off the place. Shit, it was a warm weekend in J’ville anyhow; we enjoyed the fresh air. The crowd loves singing along to Panama, but it was a real trip leaning in to belt it out with my nephew. This kid’s friends probably only know the song from “Superbad,” but on this night, the generations are truly bridged.

The kid is really juiced up for Eddie’s solo, and it didn’t disappoint. He dug the part where Eddie uses the drumsticks, if only for the showmanship. Showmanship, see, the kid gets it. Reminds me, I was wearing “It Ain’t VH..” shirt, and some smartass comes up to me and says something about Hagar. It was cool; dude knew who was better. Just in case he didn’t I quoted him the 07 vs 04 Pollstar numbers. Anyhow, later on the dude was going on about fuckin’ Malmsteen to my nephew, talking about seeing him yawning while playing Eruption. I told him that ungrateful fuck wouldn’t have a chance to mock anyone up on stage in front of a big crowd if it wasn’t for EVH.

There’s more to the story about that fuck, but he’s already boring me again. Back to the show. Eddie wraps up his solo to chants of “Eddie, Eddie!” Shit, it’s 1983 again. Tear it up through ATBL. “Hey! Hey! Hey!”

Take your bows, gentlemen! 1984. Jump. Twirling baton. Eddie scissor kicks. Big fuckin’ blow-up microphone. Confetti. More bows! Good night, Jacksonville!

Kid loved it. 5-star bro-in-law loved it. 5-star sister-in-law loved it. I FUCKIN’ LOVED IT!

Ladies and Gentlemen, we may never pass this way again. We never thought we’d be back here again in this time and place, anyway. Cancer. Divorce. Sammy Hagar. MTV awards. Gary Cherone. Howdy Doody Mountain. Running Roth jokes from no-talent snarky critics. Roth Radio (hey, I loved it). Roth solo shows in clubs. Van Hagar shows in half-empty arenas. Pot busts in Central Park. Sammy’s shitty tequila. Getting snubbed by the HOF. Finally getting in and only the two fired guys show up. Rehab. Roth better be wearing a cup. Eddie Van Heineken.

After all that shit, who thought it could be this good? Ok, maybe Dave did. Van Halen 2008 has hit its stride and it is a most glorious thing. Don’t know how long it will keep going. But it could end tomorrow and it would be OK. I won’t complain anymore, promise! It’s all gravy from here on out.

Like the dude’s shirt said in Charlotte….

WE CAN ALL DIE NOW!

ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Wow! Now that's a review and a half!! You got me pumped for the show on the 20! Mississippi Queen must have been a helluva surprise! I'm downloading the Jax show as I'm typing this.. I can't wait to hear it!

won hung low
    Roth Army Recruit
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Dont forget wolf played around with the drill too. Dave even said that was a suprise.

I concur ---a stallar show!!

won hung low
    Roth Army Recruit
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by VAiN
    Wow! Now that's a review and a half!! You got me pumped for the show on the 20! Mississippi Queen must have been a helluva surprise! I'm downloading the Jax show as I'm typing this.. I can't wait to hear it!
    Hey,
    where can I find this?? I would love to have this show.

ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by unregistered
    Hey,
    where can I find this?? I would love to have this show.
    It's on dimeadozen.org, and holy shit it's a great fucking show! I have to say that so far it's the best recordings of the tour - they are on fire...
    Last edited by VAiN; 02-18-2008 at 10:06 PM.

Thread Information