Last Online
    01-28-2024 @ 09:22 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,517 Times in 2,422 Posts

The Official Tampa 2/18 Meetup/Review Thread

New date announced....

VA
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Spark on the Horizon!
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-25-2024 @ 10:55 PM
    Status
    Thanks

We will be in Orlando that week, so we may just have to skip on down to Tampa. It's such an awesome city that we already planned on going back anyway. Hell of a good excuse to go, too.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Roth Army Recruit
    Member No
    Last Online
    12-29-2019 @ 10:06 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Outstanding! We were planning Ft Lauderdale but this will put us an hour from the mothership! Last time was the first time 1984 at the Lakeland Center and that experience was unreal. Looking forward to Talegate before the show!

J

Use my hand, I won't look
    ____Van Fuckin' Halen____
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    10-27-2020 @ 08:17 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,707 Times in 1,035 Posts

Hell yeah! I'll be there for sure! I plan on hitting all 3 FLA shows!

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-22-2024 @ 09:15 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,286 Times in 1,504 Posts

Blog Entries
    Long as I can get tix, will be there.

ROTHITE BARBARICUS ELITE
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    07-19-2016 @ 09:19 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Tossing this around or going to Raleigh..

dunno yet

ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Does anyone plan on getting extra tickets? If so, please PM me!

Proud Ford Owner
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    06-07-2017 @ 09:19 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Tickets go on sale today @ 10:00

Roth Army Recruit
    Member No
    Last Online
    12-29-2019 @ 10:06 AM
    Status
    Thanks

YEAH! Tickets in hand

smoker of fat joints
    Full On Cocktard
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-10-2009 @ 02:53 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I am sooo fucking happy , just got 7 tickets on the club level left side and we are gonna be partying it up . Captain Chronic and co are on the way !

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Got my tix!

See y'all on the 18th!

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-28-2024 @ 09:22 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,517 Times in 2,422 Posts

Sticky, T minus one week....

"How's it feel, old man?"
    Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-08-2018 @ 11:21 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I wish I could make some of these Florida dates. I'm taking a holiday across the Caribbean for much of March going into early April, arriving in Miami on 7th March. Too bad the boys decided to take a break during that period. Hope y'alls going have an awesome time!

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    So close

Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    01-05-2016 @ 12:58 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Have a good one Terry, Madvibe and all!!

ROTH ON!!

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    02-29-2008 @ 02:52 PM
    Status
    Thanks

yeah...what he said.

Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    01-05-2016 @ 12:58 PM
    Status
    Thanks

" ... a reason to take the rest of the week off!!"

Sheep Pen Kiwi
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-26-2024 @ 02:58 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Yeah,What The Other Roth Army Bros Said.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Well, the show has come and gone.

The St.Pete Times Forum, for me, has odd acoustics; some groups sound good, others not so hot.

Van Halen kinda fell in the middle for me.

The show looked pretty close to a sellout, from glancing around the arena several times, maybe a hundred or so emtpy seats total, if that.

For the first few tunes, the band played great. Alex was playing very well. Wolfie sounded good. Dave was sounding better than I've heard him sound in years. There were some problems with the mix that resulted in a bit of a muddy sound for the first several numbers, which got rectified somewhat as the show went on, but were never really resolved 100%. The drums and bass sounded good, as did the backing vocals, but the lead vocals and guitar kinda bled over into each other at times.

Have to preface what I'm about to say with a bit of personal history. Ed was the initial reason I got turned onto the band all those years ago. Haven't seen Ed play live in an arena since 1984 (although I've seen and heard plenty off boots/clips since then)...

Ed really wasn't making it up there last night.

The guitar is obviously a huge part of the Van Halen sound, but there were more than a few times during the show where I was wishing the soundboard would turn the guitar down and everything else up a bit. Out of all the tunes, on the whole the only two I'd say Ed came close to nailing were Unchained and Pretty Woman, although he did a passable job on Hot For Teacher as well.

I'm not saying he was abysmal, but there were many points where it was clear he was having problems with his picking and fretting coordination. In addition, he came off like he either hadn't rehearsed enough of his own material (we're not talking just getting solos note-for-note here, either, but rhythm parts as well) or just wasn't interested in playing it the way it should have been. In more than several instances his sense of timing in terms of where he needed to be within a song was off, he was doing a lot of noodling around, throwing odd riffs/licks/fills into the tunes (more than once I'm thinking "what the FUCK is he playing there?"). As for his tone, it really didn't have any definition; no high-end, no low-end.

Since the guitar is such a huge part of the Van Halen sound, it needs to be up front in the mix for things to sound the way they should, but with the slipshod, erratic nature of what Ed was doing, it'd have been better if it wasn't (particularly during the keyboard-driven tunes), because Ed's noodling around was, frankly, distracting from the rest of the band. Because of the nature of the acoustics of the hall and Ed's tone (he really should ditch the wah-wah pedal), everyone needed to be at the top of their game, performance-wise, to make it sound great. And Ed just wasn't up to par with what the rest of the band were doing. In the later parts of the show, my old lady leaned over to me and said "Why's he stumbling around like that? Is he drunk?" One would be forgiven for saying he certainly appeared to be as the show went on.

One of those cases where when Ed actually DID connect 100% with what he was supposed to be playing, it was pretty fucking sweet how amazing it all sounded. Unchained comes to mind, where he pulled off the solo well in terms of timing, tone and notes played, and the band was just cooking!

Can't really say if it's just age, alcoholism, a deterioration of technical skills and/or physical skills (arthritis?) or a lack of will, but EVH wasn't having a great night up there...at times not even a good one...possibly vacillating between actually trying to play well at times but no longer having the ability to do so and just not giving a toss...

I'm glad I went, and had a good night out, but in terms of what a reunion tour is supposed to do, only Dave, Al and Wolfie were really making it happen up there. Ed, at best, was able to conjure up some memories of greatness in days which seem behind him now.

The most telling moment was at the end of Little Guitars, when Ed is playing the outro, flubbing it up a bit. Dave walks over to him. Ed (with what for all the world looked like a drunken grin) sheepishly rests his head on Dave's chest and Dave gives him a pat on the head. For a moment there, it looked like Roth's trademark Cheshire Cat grin slipped a couple of notches, and the body language read as if Dave was saying "Don't worry, Ed, it's gonna be alright."

ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I'm listening to the show as i'm typing this... Your review is very accurate - Eddie isn't very steady on this one... not bad, but kind of out there. It does seem like he just forgets parts. The Jacksonville show the night before was definitely a better showing for Ed... I haven't heard Tampa yet, but I was at the 1st Lauderdale show and had mixed feelings about it. Here's to Ed getting it together tomorrow night for the 2nd Lauderdale show.

Atomic Jerk
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    09-12-2020 @ 06:51 AM
    Status
    Thanks

I wasn't impressed with Ed at all on Monday night. Of course the mix sucked too and my seats were BEAT.

Ed's solo was poor in my opinion. This is Eddie Van Halen, not a fucking Van Halen tribute band. He's supposed to blow our minds. Intead he looked like he was noodling. Sad. Sad for me wasting my time and money on it.

Ok, sorry for the negativity. Dave was great and Alex was good too. Hell, even wolfie was ok walking around the stage and throwing picks at people.

Maybe I was just hung over from the weekend, but I wasn't impressed. I'm kind of depressed now.

Proud Ford Owner
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

The sound guys needed to be shot!

Dave kept putting his hand to his ear and raising his hand to tell them to give him a boost to no avail. I can't remember the song, but in one of the choruses he sang "I want to hear my voice louder".

It was apparent that he's on a leash. The old Dave or solo Dave would've stopped the guys playing and ripped the soundguy a new asshole. He's done it before.

The mids were making everything sound like mud. 3/4's of the way through the show someone flicked a switch, because when they hit the night's best performance "Ain't Talking 'Bout Love" they sounded GREAT! Those sound monkey jackoffs really ruined what could've been an awesome night.

Eddie is done. I don't want to see him again live. I don't care if they do another 6 albums and let Dave be Diamond Dave. I just don't want to see him again. I was embarrassed for him on his solo.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/m4ti8miRRvk&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/m4ti8miRRvk&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

I never missed Brian and Toshi more. Brian at least knows how to get a clean sound out of his guitar and doesn't have to perform like some spastic retarded primate with a guitar.

Alex played his ass off. His solo was really awesome. Wolfie covered the background lyrics and did a really good job for being a kid with no bar circuit to hone his chops in. He still performs stiff and almost looks scared up there. There were several times that Eddie had to play a rhythm guitar instead of his normal licks to cover Wolfgang's ass. Either that or he can't play the lead licks anymore. Dave doing his "Ice Cream Man" story NEVER gets old and it was nice to see him pull a harmonica out of his pocket.

I'm glad I went and heard what I heard. I'm glad I saw them and from a visual standpoint, it was amazing. I wouldn't have believed anyone else if they were writing this about THE Van Halen. I trust Terry's ears as much as my own as we've been in the same shows and heard the same thing and described it; however, I don't want to ever see Eddie again. He really played like a former shell of himself and it was disgusting to see a Rock God that was on the same par as Jimi Hendrix and Jimmy Page fall so far that bar band guitarists have played better. If he has anything left in the tank let him get it out in the studio.

Fuck off Eddie. He's no longer in the Top 5 for me and has slid out of the Top 10. There's better with more longevity and depth to their work than him!

Dave...get your band back together in the studio after this bullshit. Write a book about this trainwreck too. See ya at the next show where I can HEAR you!

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    And there's really no joy or an anti-Eddie bias in calling it like we heard and saw it, either.

Yes, I do think the Van Halens have acted like a couple of dickheads over the last 12 years, but at what amounted to about $300 for me and the old lady to go see the show (tix, t-shirts, couple of beers and parking), I WANTED these guys to knock it right out of the park.

There WERE several points during the show where it DID all lock together and the result was (as I said) pretty fucking sweet!

Overall, however, it was a case of the rhythm section doing what was needed to get the job done (think Wolfie did just fine), Dave really putting in a great performance all-around and Ed just bringing the whole thing down a notch with a sub-par performance.

I mean, I'd have to agree with MaddVibe totally that Brian and Toshi simply did Eddie's parts better than Ed can now, based on what I heard Monday night. The odd part about it was I've seen some full-length boots from earlier in the tour, scrutinized what Ed was doing, and it sounded so much better than what happened in Tampa; odd in that wouldn't one think, if anything, Ed would only get better as the tour progressed?

Out of kindness, I'd say that the acoustics of the hall weren't helping, but I again agree with MaddVibe that the mix wasn't too hot, and that simply turning down Ed a bit and turning up the lead vocals a bit was something that WASN'T a factor that couldn't have been corrected.

A decent show, but overall a letdown. I went into the show telling myself I wasn't going to prejudice the performance by putting what Ed was doing under a microscope, but with Ed so far out front of what was a bad mix and him playing underpar to boot, I had no choice BUT to notice the mistakes he was making, and would be lying if I said that didn't impact the pleasure of seeing them.

Proud Ford Owner
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

If I ever see Eddie with that fucking Poundcake drill again, remind me to kick it up his ass! With all the finger fucking going on with Eddie and Wolfie over that Spammy hang-on one would've thought it was Jenna Jameson's dildo!

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Yeah, that Pudcake drill was definitely an eye-rolling moment. Kinda like, "Hey, Wolfie, wrong fucking era of the band, there!"

Still sounded better than when Eddie was doing his unaccompanied solo and trying to reach around the back of his guitar and tweak his springs while depressing his tremolo bar, then trying to pluck the strings behind the tremolo nut (like he did during the solo segment on the LWAN vid before he played Cathedral, for anyone who needs reference to what I'm talking about); he's doing this stuff and nothing is happening, and the crowd is just silent..you could hear a collective "Huh?" whooshing through the audience.

Seeing him fumbling around with Cathedral was pretty cringeworthy. He'd start to play the parts like they were on record, and the crowd would cheer a bit out of recognition. Then he'd veer away from it and start improvising, badly, and the crowd would go silent.

He also botched the Meanstreet intro pretty badly as well. You could see the hands were on the guitar where they needed to be, making the motions they needed to make, but his coordination wasn't there. Same for the tapped harmonics during the break on Dance The Night Away. There were more times than I like to recall where his playing had all the charm of watching an amateur in a music store trying to show off skills they really don't have down pat at a volume which is way too loud.

Atomic Jerk
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

well, I guess my hang over and shitty seats didn't affect my opinion too much since I'm in total agreement with Terry and Dr MV about the show.

I thought the Forum only sounded like shit when I had high seats. I saw Velvet Revolver on the floor and they sounded great. So did you guys get floor seats or high ups?

How about during Ed's solo where he kinda yelled at the crowd for whistling? That was shady.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    My seats were facing the stage, dead center, and I was in the first section up from the floor (towards the top of the section).

When I saw Buffett there about 5 years ago, the old lady and I were practically in the rafters, and the sound was so atrocious that we left 40 minutes into the show. In fact, most of our section had cleared out before we did, and everyone was complaining how terrible it sounded.

However, when I saw the Heaven and Hell show there last fall, the sound was excellent.

The acoustics played a part with VH, but the mix was shit.

See, what I thought Eddie said about the whistling was something along the lines of "Whoever's whistling, thank you." Couldn't really make out what he was saying, because he wasn't speaking very audibly or clearly. But he said it at a point where the audience had been silent for a few minutes...I dunno. He kinda redeemed himself at the end of the solo by doing a bit of Eruption and did pretty well with the two-handed tapping at the end of it, but after 30 years of doing that solo is the fact that he did pretty well something to applaud?

I dunno. Don't wanna keep bitching about it. The upside was it was pretty cool to see Dave so enthusiastic and in top form. I'd have serious reservations about paying serious money to see him playing with Van Halen again, though.

Proud Ford Owner
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I was on the floor.

The only salvation was once in awhile getting to hear the monitors blaring instead of the house speakers.

I'm ready for Dave solo. This isn't going to go well long term. Dave is on a leash. You see glimmers of hope of the old Eddie through the fog but not enough to remind you that his skills rotted on the vine with the ravages of alcoholism and Father Time and Spammy McGaygar. The rest of the band IS NOT the problem.

Like I said before, I'm done ever seeing these guys live again. Dave, I'm there. With Eddie? I'm taking a pass. If he has anything else left to prove let him do it in the studio of Howdy Doody Mountain.

Atomic Jerk
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Well, Dave kicked ass, which was nice.

Maybe the tape will be more kind:

VAN HALEN
    ST. Pete Times Forum
    Tampa, Florida

Taper: Bluntforcetrauma
    Lineage: DPA 4022>sonosax sx-m2(Oade mod 6DB)Edirol r-09
    Conversion: PB>Peak>24bit/48.0khz dithered>16bit/44.1khz>SBE>xact
    Thanks doug

This is version 2. During post production on the first version I passed the the WAV files through 2 maximizers to attempt to get the most dynamic volume. In doing so, some might experience some music loss creating distortion due to compression. Meaning that I tried to put all levels to their max.

This second version is an attempt to reach optimal clarity while maximizing sound dynamics.

I could not give it a rest if I did not try this second version just to see what would happen. Since I felt that I had to attempt this second version, I am compelled to share the sound.

I pulled back on this second version to just using the L3 ultramaximzer. This version will enable you to adjust your volume on your stereo with more flexibility. Some might find this a more enjoyable listening experience.

Tampa show seat location: Section F1 row 12 seat 12 Ed's side. 12 rows from stage, Ed's side

24 bit recordings available

Capturing an event from beginning to end is a huge undertaking. Many things to consider when attempting a pull. Even though you might get passed security, then its on to set up ( mics, cables, pre's, recorder) then to your seats, then you hope others around you are not too loud, and you scan the crowd during the show for possible security spotters, then you hit record and you still dont know if you got anything until you get home to check the recorder. Then if that goes, onto post production.

01 You Really Got Me
    02 I'm The One
    03 Running With The Devil
    04 Romeo's Delight
    05 Somebody Get Me A Doctor
    06 Beautiful Girl
    07 Dance The Night Away
    08 Atomic Punk
    09 Everybody Wants Some
    10 So This Is Love
    11 Mean Streets
    12 Pretty Woman
    13 Alex Van Halen Drum Solo

Disc 2
    01 Unchained
    02 I'll Wait
    03 And The Cradle Will Rock
    04 Hot For Teacher
    05 Little Dreamer
    06 Little Guitars
    07 Jamie's Crying
    08 Ice Cream Man
    09 Panama
    10 Eddie Van Halen Guitar Solo
    11 Ain't Talking 'Bout Love
    12 Audience
    13 1984
    14 Jump

enjoy
    http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-d....php?id=184745
    Last edited by ODShowtime; 02-21-2008 at 07:46 AM.

Proud Ford Owner
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I'll pass.

I know what I heard. I don't want any remnants of it where I can hear it again.

I wasn't far from where this was recorded.

ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by DrMaddVibe
    I'll pass.

I know what I heard. I don't want any remnants of it where I can hear it again.

I wasn't far from where this was recorded.
    Get this recording... it's the same guy who did Jacksonville - the quality is stunning! Probably the best 2 of the tour... as good or better then the remastered Steeco Charlotte recording.

Groupie
    Member No
    Last Online
    02-16-2019 @ 09:59 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I spent over $700 to take my entire family and I think it was the first time in my life that I wished I wasn't a musician. They had a blast and I got depressed.

Dave was the man and most of the show I was able to overlook all of the overbends and just overall sloppiness from Ed. I was seeing Van Halen with my boys, man!

Then after the Little Dreamer solo I just got bummed and I think it was because I grew up hanging on every note that motherfucker played. To see my childhood hero barely hold it together was just sad even though I think the show came off alright and most people had a blast.

Thread Information