X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • David Lee Rocks
    Sniper
    • Jan 2004

Van Halen turns down Rolling Stone!!

according to www.melodicrock.com looks like Zeppelin is on the next cover!! www.rollingstone.com
  • EAT MY ASSHOLE
    Veteran
    • Feb 2006

Proves that Dave is contractually obligated to keep his mouth shut.

I mean, come on, who wouldn't want to talk to the press (and we're talking Dave here!) amidst a wildly successful reunion tour that the whole world - and the guy at the lip of the stage most of all - has been pining for for years?
    RIM ME!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• Vinnie Velvet
      Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

Originally posted by EAT MY ASSHOLE
      Proves that Dave is contractually obligated to keep his mouth shut.

I mean, come on, who wouldn't want to talk to the press (and we're talking Dave here!) amidst a wildly successful reunion tour that the whole world - and the guy at the lip of the stage most of all - has been pining for for years?
      True, however, I can half understand why they are taking this stance and IMO it has nothing to do with keeping Dave's mouth shut.

See, the Van Halen brothers have said a lot of bullshit over the past 22 years, since the breakup of CVH. Whether it was saying how great Sam is to the band in 1986 to saying how great it is to have Gary in the band back in 1998.

All bullshit.

So much has been said in the press, good or bad, I just think that the whole band, DAVE INCLUDED, decided that they wouldn't be doing any press 'cause you know they will be asked stuff like:

- Mike
      - Sam
      - The breakup in '85
      - the MTV debacle in '96

etc, etc.

Everything they say regarding those things will be scrutinized in a way that Dave, Ed and Al just wouldn't win. People would be like, "oh they are bullshitting the fans again with all this stuff about how they are getting along better than they have been."

They said what they wanted to say at the Press Conference and that's it.

As far as this tour goes.

Now if they were to promote a new album, then yeah, they'd have to do more press.
      =V V=
      ole No.1 The finest
      EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

• binnie
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • May 2006

Didn't the Halen's refuse to do any press in 2004? Probably just the same policy again - ie, "we can't be bothered with the hassle...".

If they have an album though, they will probably need the press. It also seems stupid not to let Dave loose in his natural habit, but Ed wouldn't want him stealing the limelight would he?
        The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• VAiN
          Use my hand, I won't look
          ROCKSTAR

• Nov 2006

I agree that no press is the better way for them to go... The tour is hummin along just fine and Rolling Stone is a piece of shit rag anyway.
          Originally posted by wiseguy
          That shit will welcome you in the morning and pour the milk in your count chocula for ya.

Comment

• David Lee Rocks
            Sniper
            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by VAiN
            I agree that no press is the better way for them to go... The tour is hummin along just fine and Rolling Stone is a piece of shit rag anyway.
            exactly

Comment

• EAT MY ASSHOLE
              Veteran
              • Feb 2006

Yes...but here's the rub: Van Halen have only had the cover of Rolling Stone...with Hagar. I'm sure dave is old enough and his bank account full enough to be over it, but still, this is the brass ring that would ultuimately totally legitmimize the reunion. Dave is just as much about the adulation and the respect as the money, and that's prestige that ticket sales alone won't satisfy.
              RIM ME!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• EAT MY ASSHOLE
                Veteran
                • Feb 2006

And, for me, as a fan, yeah, I want to see and read about the band in the rock mag of record, no matter how lame it is these days (political reporting can be solid at times, otherwise, yeah, it reeeeally can be drek).

Would it affect ticket sales? No, sold out is sold out. Might it make the difference in terms of if I buy the hat to go with the t-shirt, or to whet my appetite even more for an upcoming album or DVD? You bet.
                RIM ME!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• David Lee Rocks
                  Sniper
                  • Jan 2004

they dont need em. they are getting lots of press in Dallas after announceing the second leg, Radio and the newspaper have gone bonkers talkin about this show

Comment

• Vinnie Velvet
                    Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

Originally posted by binnie

It also seems stupid not to let Dave loose in his natural habit, but Ed wouldn't want him stealing the limelight would he?
                    I don't think that is the case based on the Press Conference where Dave was leading the charge as he did in the old days.

That was a very different scene compared to the 1996 MTV Awards appearance.

Also, when the tour plans were announced in February of this year (before it was postponed due to Ed's rehab stint), Dave did an interview with Rolling Stone, talking about the new tour and the RARHOF.
                    =V V=
                    ole No.1 The finest
                    EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

• Vinnie Velvet
                      Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

Yes...but here's the rub: Van Halen have only had the cover of Rolling Stone...with Hagar. I'm sure dave is old enough and his bank account full enough to be over it, but still, this is the brass ring that would ultuimately totally legitmimize the reunion. Dave is just as much about the adulation and the respect as the money, and that's prestige that ticket sales alone won't satisfy.
                      I see your point.

Maybe Dave doesn't care about being on the cover of RS as he may have once did (he made the cover by himself in '85).

The tour has been a huge success regardless.

And maybe that's what lies in the power of CVH. Whereas Van Hagar may have needed all the press they could get, CLASSIC Van Halen does not.
                      =V V=
                      ole No.1 The finest
                      EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

• Polk High
                        Sniper
                        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Vinnie Velvet

Whereas Van Hagar may have needed all the press they could get, CLASSIC Van Halen does not.
                        Well said, let the playing do their talking
                        We're gonna leave you smokin like the slow guy in Chernobyl

Comment

• bantonelli
                          Crazy Ass Mofo
                          • Nov 2004

.....and besides, Dave answered all the "IMPORTANT" questions on everyone's minds at the Press Conference.

An Interview by the media can only bring up negative crap and not focus on the success of the tour.....the band wants to stay POSITIVE.

Whether or not Dave is staying low-key due to an agreement with the Sisters, who cares? These guys are making $1.5 million a pop per concert....I'd stay quiet too.
                          "Meet us in the Future.....NOT the Pasture".......DLR, August '07, VH Press Conference - Tour '07-'08

Comment

• bueno bob
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Jul 2004

Well, I can see both sides of the argument, but The Beach Boys don't do any press when they go out and tour, either. I honestly think the reason Miley Cyrus is kicking their ass nightly boils down to the fact that they're not doing any press out of fear of being asked tough questions. I think those tough questions SHOULD be asked and I think the Van Halens oughta step up to the plate and answer them. Were they doing press, answering questions and getting themselves "out there", so to speak, I might be more positive that this thing is going to stretch out long term.

Personally, and I may be Mr. Negativity here, but I don't think it bodes well for the future at all. As it stands, I'm still calling it as I see it - a greatest hits tour cash grab that's not going to go the distance and will implode as soon as the tour's over. Ed & Al will slip back into obscurity, Dave will go do something on TV and Wolfgang (surprise) will have a foot up in the music industry.

A blurb on their website? A press conference in a hotel lobby? A no show at the RNRHOF by anybody that mattered? Now saying "No" to the RS cover? Saying "No" to interviews and/or promotion at all?

This is not how Van Halen does business.

(Ducks for cover from the oncoming bullets...)
                            Twistin' by the pool.

Comment

• VanHalener
                              ROCKSTAR

• Nov 2006

... but still, this is the brass ring that would ultuimately totally legitmimize the reunion. Dave is just as much about the adulation and the respect as the money, and that's prestige that ticket sales alone won't satisfy.
                              I agree with Vain about this waste of paper mag.
                              Most Rolling Bone-Sucking Mag issues are rags meant for ass wiping.

In turn, I disagree with EMAhole about Rolling Bone Gobbler being the "Brass Ring" and a legitimizer for the "Reunion."
                              What legitimizes Van Halen is Van Halen's actions, not reviews written by some over paid opinion publisher sitting at his or her desk with a deadline to meet and pages to fill.
                              Dave and Ed go a long way on their prowess as Rock Gods without the assistance of any one entity such as Rolling Bone Swallower. I say avoid this publication at all costs, Van Halen. Release info through some other media and leave these fucks in the dust where they belong. They didn't give you the cover before 1984, so FUCK 'EM! They cram their issues full of crap, so FUCK 'Em! Burning is too good for them! Hang 'Em High and dry, show them your asses and demand a kiss on each cheek, then snub them like they snubbed you.

I saw Van Halen in D.C. earlier this month and had the time of my life with them, but I did not see Bass Player there. Make no mistake, this is not a reunion of CVH. I loved it, but as a purest I cannot accept this tour being called a reunion. Some say Dave is Van Halen, but I have to disagree. (walking softly here) Without David Lee Roth there is no Van Halen. In contrast, should there be an absence of Eddie Van Halen there is no Van Halen. Alex, well he's a given. Not to put Wolfie or his performance down, I enjoyed his contribution, but Bass Player was in the line up from the beginning and I miss his back up vocals. There, I said it and lit the fuse.
                              Classic Van Halen is:
                              Dave
                              Alex
                              Mike
                              Eddie

What we have now is just like Dave said, "Three parts original." I'll continue to see Van Halen throughout this rebirth of greatness and I'll sing and rock my guts out at every show I make it to, but this cruel ass world is still denying me and all of you a CVH reunion.

I digress...

Rolling Bone Jugglers mag is a joke, much like many groups that make the cover and inside pages.

KUDOS to you VH for telling them no!
                              Last edited by VanHalener; 11-29-2007, 12:11 PM.
                              ~Only you can prevent low volume~

Comment

Working...