Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Van Halen turns down Rolling Stone!!

Sniper

Member No
    Last Online
    01-12-2013 @ 10:02 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Van Halen turns down Rolling Stone!!

according to www.melodicrock.com looks like Zeppelin is on the next cover!! www.rollingstone.com
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Dingleberries and all
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    07-22-2015 @ 06:22 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Proves that Dave is contractually obligated to keep his mouth shut.

I mean, come on, who wouldn't want to talk to the press (and we're talking Dave here!) amidst a wildly successful reunion tour that the whole world - and the guy at the lip of the stage most of all - has been pining for for years?
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    03-18-2024 @ 11:26 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by EAT MY ASSHOLE
    Proves that Dave is contractually obligated to keep his mouth shut.

I mean, come on, who wouldn't want to talk to the press (and we're talking Dave here!) amidst a wildly successful reunion tour that the whole world - and the guy at the lip of the stage most of all - has been pining for for years?
    True, however, I can half understand why they are taking this stance and IMO it has nothing to do with keeping Dave's mouth shut.

See, the Van Halen brothers have said a lot of bullshit over the past 22 years, since the breakup of CVH. Whether it was saying how great Sam is to the band in 1986 to saying how great it is to have Gary in the band back in 1998.

All bullshit.

So much has been said in the press, good or bad, I just think that the whole band, DAVE INCLUDED, decided that they wouldn't be doing any press 'cause you know they will be asked stuff like:

- Mike
    - Sam
    - The breakup in '85
    - the MTV debacle in '96

etc, etc.

Everything they say regarding those things will be scrutinized in a way that Dave, Ed and Al just wouldn't win. People would be like, "oh they are bullshitting the fans again with all this stuff about how they are getting along better than they have been."

They said what they wanted to say at the Press Conference and that's it.

As far as this tour goes.

Now if they were to promote a new album, then yeah, they'd have to do more press.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    12-27-2016 @ 08:33 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,785 Times in 1,252 Posts

Didn't the Halen's refuse to do any press in 2004? Probably just the same policy again - ie, "we can't be bothered with the hassle...".

If they have an album though, they will probably need the press. It also seems stupid not to let Dave loose in his natural habit, but Ed wouldn't want him stealing the limelight would he?

Use my hand, I won't look
    ____Van Fuckin' Halen____
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    10-27-2020 @ 08:17 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,707 Times in 1,035 Posts

I agree that no press is the better way for them to go... The tour is hummin along just fine and Rolling Stone is a piece of shit rag anyway.

Sniper

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by VAiN
    I agree that no press is the better way for them to go... The tour is hummin along just fine and Rolling Stone is a piece of shit rag anyway.
    exactly

Dingleberries and all
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Yes...but here's the rub: Van Halen have only had the cover of Rolling Stone...with Hagar. I'm sure dave is old enough and his bank account full enough to be over it, but still, this is the brass ring that would ultuimately totally legitmimize the reunion. Dave is just as much about the adulation and the respect as the money, and that's prestige that ticket sales alone won't satisfy.

Dingleberries and all
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

And, for me, as a fan, yeah, I want to see and read about the band in the rock mag of record, no matter how lame it is these days (political reporting can be solid at times, otherwise, yeah, it reeeeally can be drek).

Would it affect ticket sales? No, sold out is sold out. Might it make the difference in terms of if I buy the hat to go with the t-shirt, or to whet my appetite even more for an upcoming album or DVD? You bet.

Sniper

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

they dont need em. they are getting lots of press in Dallas after announceing the second leg, Radio and the newspaper have gone bonkers talkin about this show

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by binnie

It also seems stupid not to let Dave loose in his natural habit, but Ed wouldn't want him stealing the limelight would he?
    I don't think that is the case based on the Press Conference where Dave was leading the charge as he did in the old days.

That was a very different scene compared to the 1996 MTV Awards appearance.

Also, when the tour plans were announced in February of this year (before it was postponed due to Ed's rehab stint), Dave did an interview with Rolling Stone, talking about the new tour and the RARHOF.

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Yes...but here's the rub: Van Halen have only had the cover of Rolling Stone...with Hagar. I'm sure dave is old enough and his bank account full enough to be over it, but still, this is the brass ring that would ultuimately totally legitmimize the reunion. Dave is just as much about the adulation and the respect as the money, and that's prestige that ticket sales alone won't satisfy.
    I see your point.

Maybe Dave doesn't care about being on the cover of RS as he may have once did (he made the cover by himself in '85).

The tour has been a huge success regardless.

And maybe that's what lies in the power of CVH. Whereas Van Hagar may have needed all the press they could get, CLASSIC Van Halen does not.

Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    06-24-2017 @ 11:13 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by Vinnie Velvet

Whereas Van Hagar may have needed all the press they could get, CLASSIC Van Halen does not.
    Well said, let the playing do their talking

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-08-2021 @ 12:33 AM
    Status
    Thanks

.....and besides, Dave answered all the "IMPORTANT" questions on everyone's minds at the Press Conference.

An Interview by the media can only bring up negative crap and not focus on the success of the tour.....the band wants to stay POSITIVE.

Whether or not Dave is staying low-key due to an agreement with the Sisters, who cares? These guys are making $1.5 million a pop per concert....I'd stay quiet too.

Sheep Pen Emperor
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 03:09 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,327 Times in 856 Posts

Well, I can see both sides of the argument, but The Beach Boys don't do any press when they go out and tour, either. I honestly think the reason Miley Cyrus is kicking their ass nightly boils down to the fact that they're not doing any press out of fear of being asked tough questions. I think those tough questions SHOULD be asked and I think the Van Halens oughta step up to the plate and answer them. Were they doing press, answering questions and getting themselves "out there", so to speak, I might be more positive that this thing is going to stretch out long term.

Personally, and I may be Mr. Negativity here, but I don't think it bodes well for the future at all. As it stands, I'm still calling it as I see it - a greatest hits tour cash grab that's not going to go the distance and will implode as soon as the tour's over. Ed & Al will slip back into obscurity, Dave will go do something on TV and Wolfgang (surprise) will have a foot up in the music industry.

A blurb on their website? A press conference in a hotel lobby? A no show at the RNRHOF by anybody that mattered? Now saying "No" to the RS cover? Saying "No" to interviews and/or promotion at all?

This is not how Van Halen does business.

(Ducks for cover from the oncoming bullets...)

=OWWWWWWWWW=
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    09-02-2013 @ 10:05 PM
    Status
    Thanks

... but still, this is the brass ring that would ultuimately totally legitmimize the reunion. Dave is just as much about the adulation and the respect as the money, and that's prestige that ticket sales alone won't satisfy.
    I agree with Vain about this waste of paper mag.
    Most Rolling Bone-Sucking Mag issues are rags meant for ass wiping.

In turn, I disagree with EMAhole about Rolling Bone Gobbler being the "Brass Ring" and a legitimizer for the "Reunion."
    What legitimizes Van Halen is Van Halen's actions, not reviews written by some over paid opinion publisher sitting at his or her desk with a deadline to meet and pages to fill.
    Dave and Ed go a long way on their prowess as Rock Gods without the assistance of any one entity such as Rolling Bone Swallower. I say avoid this publication at all costs, Van Halen. Release info through some other media and leave these fucks in the dust where they belong. They didn't give you the cover before 1984, so FUCK 'EM! They cram their issues full of crap, so FUCK 'Em! Burning is too good for them! Hang 'Em High and dry, show them your asses and demand a kiss on each cheek, then snub them like they snubbed you.

I saw Van Halen in D.C. earlier this month and had the time of my life with them, but I did not see Bass Player there. Make no mistake, this is not a reunion of CVH. I loved it, but as a purest I cannot accept this tour being called a reunion. Some say Dave is Van Halen, but I have to disagree. (walking softly here) Without David Lee Roth there is no Van Halen. In contrast, should there be an absence of Eddie Van Halen there is no Van Halen. Alex, well he's a given. Not to put Wolfie or his performance down, I enjoyed his contribution, but Bass Player was in the line up from the beginning and I miss his back up vocals. There, I said it and lit the fuse.
    Classic Van Halen is:
    Dave
    Alex
    Mike
    Eddie

What we have now is just like Dave said, "Three parts original." I'll continue to see Van Halen throughout this rebirth of greatness and I'll sing and rock my guts out at every show I make it to, but this cruel ass world is still denying me and all of you a CVH reunion.

I digress...

Rolling Bone Jugglers mag is a joke, much like many groups that make the cover and inside pages.

KUDOS to you VH for telling them no!
    Last edited by VanHalener; 11-29-2007 at 11:11 AM.

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    08-31-2013 @ 05:10 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Rolling Stone is a worthless waste of a tree. Fuck 'em.

Fretting Machine
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-19-2021 @ 04:00 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Rolling Stone never gave VH the time of day, so why shouldn't VH tell 'em to fuck off?

Dingleberries and all
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by Coyote
    Rolling Stone never gave VH the time of day, so why shouldn't VH tell 'em to fuck off?
    Because it's an industry "thang". Getting the cover of RS - like winning an Oscar, or whatever - provides much, MUCH more clout. And Bob articulated very well that the band SHOULD be answering the tough questions (and how tough is it REALLY to answer "Where's Mike?", when in a matter of hours 20,000 people are going to be screaming back every lyric you've written in your life and going apeshit for you putting a hat up over your dick during the guitar break in "Dance the Night Away"?)

Say what you will about Rolling Stone - and it's ALL totally legit - it's still a means for the band to reach and communicate with the general public.

Fretting Machine
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-19-2021 @ 04:00 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Say what you will about Rolling Stone - and it's ALL totally legit - it's still a means for the band to reach and communicate with the general public.
    True, but it's "A" means, not "the". And it certainly ain't "the only". Savvy?

And "award-winner" don't sound as cool as "nominated for", if you ask me... Mileage may vary, though.

©Ramblings by Rogue® Inc.
    Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    06-20-2009 @ 08:02 PM
    RogueHorseman® resides at the scenic Double Cross Ranch in sunny Riveria Paradise
    Status
    Thanks

Vinnie is on the mark here, and Dave stated outright at the start of this thing that they were going to let the music do the talking and I think it serves the situation well. Sometimes the less you talk (promote), the more talk you create.

Dave knows that, and to me the marketing of this has his fingerprints all over it.

See ya at the bank, Rolling Stone, and be sure to tell the world... spread it all around that we turned you down.

Builder of Sites
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    02-08-2016 @ 02:28 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,705 Times in 2,513 Posts

Bet Wolfie's pissed

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    12-27-2016 @ 08:33 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,785 Times in 1,252 Posts

Originally posted by LoungeMachine
    Bet Wolfie's pissed
    His fat ass would never have fitted on the cover anyway....

On Fire
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    06-22-2021 @ 02:14 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Now I think this is Dave's way to keep the spotlight! We won't talk to anybody, just you wait and see what we have for the near future. Now everybody is wondering why don't they wanna talk to us, what are they hiding! Dave style all the way

lazy lounge lizard
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    06-11-2022 @ 09:52 AM
    Status
    Thanks

there building momentum...roth style imo.
    Last edited by franksters; 11-29-2007 at 03:01 PM.

I'm kind of a big deal!
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    02-16-2012 @ 09:51 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by Vinnie Velvet
    True, however, I can half understand why they are taking this stance and IMO it has nothing to do with keeping Dave's mouth shut.

See, the Van Halen brothers have said a lot of bullshit over the past 22 years, since the breakup of CVH. Whether it was saying how great Sam is to the band in 1986 to saying how great it is to have Gary in the band back in 1998.

All bullshit.

So much has been said in the press, good or bad, I just think that the whole band, DAVE INCLUDED, decided that they wouldn't be doing any press 'cause you know they will be asked stuff like:

- Mike
    - Sam
    - The breakup in '85
    - the MTV debacle in '96

etc, etc.

Everything they say regarding those things will be scrutinized in a way that Dave, Ed and Al just wouldn't win. People would be like, "oh they are bullshitting the fans again with all this stuff about how they are getting along better than they have been."

They said what they wanted to say at the Press Conference and that's it.

As far as this tour goes.

Now if they were to promote a new album, then yeah, they'd have to do more press.
    BINGO... Dead on correct sir!!!

Builder of Sites
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

And, for me, as a fan, .
    fag.

But you're right....

and Vinnie's right....

and I'm right...........[which is all that matters]

But I also find it hilarious and ironic that spED hires his gash as the new PR Rep for the band........ and then issues a fucking GAG order as far as press is concerned.

All it would take is one fucking "this aint about your fucking hip" comment in the rags for all hell to break loose.

But back to Wolfie, every one of us at 16-17 wanted to be on the cover of RS. You just know he's thinking "fucking drama queens, first the Hall of Fame and now this"

But, better safe than sorry. Let the music speak.

They'll will be plenty of time for further sniping and backstabbing later.

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    05-18-2012 @ 09:30 PM
    Status
    Thanks

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-28-2024 @ 09:22 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,517 Times in 2,422 Posts

Originally posted by Coyote
    EXACTLY !!!!

Some of you guys surprise me....

After 30 years of Rolling Stone fucking them over, it's time for Van Halen to say FUCK YOU to them !!!

Builder of Sites
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
    EXACTLY !!!!

Some of you guys surprise me....

After 30 years of Rolling Stone fucking them over, it's time for Van Halen to say FUCK YOU to them !!!
    Umm, for 23 of those 30 years, spEDCO did a fine job of fucking themselves over.....

Didnt need much help there

And now they have their shit together [relatively speaking] and they choose to snub RS out of spite ??

I dont get it personally. But then I was pissed they were such Manginas over the RNRHOF too.

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by LoungeMachine
    And now they have their shit together [relatively speaking] and they choose to snub RS out of spite ??
    Why yes, that's exactly what I'm saying....

Like the others have said, you really don't expect them to say anything, do you ??

eat em and smile
    Groupie
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-11-2008 @ 07:57 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Someone said dave was on the cover of Rolling Stone in 1985/ It was Spin magazine, it was their first issue, dave with the straw hat.

DILLIGAF?
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    02-22-2008 @ 04:07 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I believe it's fairly obvious that there is some sort of agreement in place which includes the entire production team NOT doing any press whatsoever. Given the fragile history & ego's involved, AND the tour's success thus far -- hence, refuting the naysayer's IMPLOSION theories -- I believe the no press agreement was a most wise decision on band counsel's part...

Now when the issue of new material comes up, we will have an interesting dilemma indeed!!

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

VH1 will have to carve out 3 hours for that Behind The Music, that's for sure...

Builder of Sites
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Why yes, that's exactly what I'm saying....

Like the others have said, you really don't expect them to say anything, do you ??
    Me personally?

I don't "expect" anything anymore....

But would I tell them to do the cover? yep.

But they stopped asking for my opinions long ago.

Hell, I'm shocked spED didnt want to do it wearing a "Who's this Mike you keep asking about?" T-Shirt.

But whatever....

I like the "RS Cover Fuck You" better than the "We're not doing RS" Fuck you...

Builder of Sites
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

VH1 will have to carve out 3 hours for that Behind The Music, that's for sure...
    9 part mini-series that would put Roots to shame...

Hell, 1984 alone is 3 hours.

" Littering and...."
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-06-2024 @ 06:43 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by topjimmy1984
    Someone said dave was on the cover of Rolling Stone in 1985/ It was Spin magazine, it was their first issue, dave with the straw hat.
    Actually..it was Rolling Stone

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-22-2024 @ 03:37 PM
    Status
    Thanks

FUCK ROLLING STONE !!!

DILLIGAF?
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    02-22-2008 @ 04:07 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by 78/84 guy
    FUCK ROLLING STONE !!!
    In multiple orifices...

Or would the plural be orifi(?)

Dingleberries and all
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Rolling Stone gave VH plenty of space and time in the day. One of the funniest comments Dave ever made was in an '84 article. It was the height of Born in the USA mania, and it was mandatory for the world to discuss Springsteen's shows, for their endurance, length, and excitement. The exchnage was something like this:

RS: Have you seen Springsteen's concert?

DLR: Yeah, it was great. I was very happy.

RS: Did you find it to be transcendent?

DLR: What do you mean "transcendent"?

RS: Well, was it the most awesome thing you've ever seen?

DLR: Honey, I can go to White Castle, look in the bag, and say, "This is the most awesome thing I've ever seen".

Dingleberries and all
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by topjimmy1984
    Wrong. Madonna was on Spin's first cover. Dave appearred within the first year to promote EEAS, and while RS gave Van Hagar their endorsement, the ethos and approach of Spin at the time was custom made for Dave (hey, Bob Guccione's kid was the publisher...you can imagine them sitting around together talking trash and doing blow, right?)

Dave was indeed on RS's cover to promote CFTH, in an interview done, I believe, by Lisa Robinson, a veteran of rock journalism, who was one of the first to promote and bring attention to the ramones and the entire CBGB/NY punk scene.

Thread Information