Last Online
    @
    Status

Thumbs up Happy B-day Bo Diddley!

Born: 30 December 1928
    Birthplace: McComb, Mississippi
    He was born Ellas Otha Bates.

Best Known As: Early rock 'n' roll inventor, nicknamed "The Originator"
    Bo Diddley was born in Mississippi and raised in Chicago, where he was exposed to music and the blues. After studying violin and trombone, he took up the electric guitar. Diddley's flamboyance, square guitars and distinctive backbeat (sometimes described as "shave-and-a-hair-cut") earned him a record contract with Chess Records, and in 1955 he had his first hit with the two-sided "Bo Diddley/I'm A Man." Although he had numerous hits in the late 1950s and early 1960s, and appeared on TV with Dick Clark and Ed Sullivan, Diddley's aggressive beat, suggestive lyrics and raw performances ended up making him more influential than rich and famous.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qs8FJergjas&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qs8FJergjas&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

The Reverend
    Roadie

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    A very cool personal experience of mine, included Bo Diddley. Back in early 2002, the band I was drumming with played a couple of shows during Daytona Beach's Bike Week celebration. We headlined the main stage on Friday night, and Bo closed out the whole week on Saturday night. Being that we and Bo played on the same stage, that was cool enough for us to say that we (sorta) opened for Bo!
    Anyways, the promoter Tom Sulley, (an awesome guy), took us back stage to meet Bo after his show. He stopped Bo before he got into the truck to take him away by saying, "Hey Bo, I want ya to meet my friends from Canada." Bo stopped and said, "What part of Canada ya from?" Then Bo proceeded to say, "I spent so much damn time in Montreal they started to charge me taxes! They even gave me my own Social Security number!" Then he pulled out his wallet, and handed me his Social Insurance Card!
    So I'm standing there holding Bo Diddley's SIN Card, looking at his name on it, and he sez to me, "What the hell is dat!? Now you gimme a call.... cuz I got somethin' to tell ya. If ya don't gimme that call, I ain't gunna tell ya!" He then took his card back, hopped into the truck, said good-bye and left. It was the f**king coolest thing!

26-21
    ROTH ARMY ELITE

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Awesome!

Sheep Pen Kiwi
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by slimdon
    A very cool personal experience of mine, included Bo Diddley. Back in early 2002, the band I was drumming with played a couple of shows during Daytona Beach's Bike Week celebration. We headlined the main stage on Friday night, and Bo closed out the whole week on Saturday night. Being that we and Bo played on the same stage, that was cool enough for us to say that we (sorta) opened for Bo!
    Anyways, the promoter Tom Sulley, (an awesome guy), took us back stage to meet Bo after his show. He stopped Bo before he got into the truck to take him away by saying, "Hey Bo, I want ya to meet my friends from Canada." Bo stopped and said, "What part of Canada ya from?" Then Bo proceeded to say, "I spent so much damn time in Montreal they started to charge me taxes! They even gave me my own Social Security number!" Then he pulled out his wallet, and handed me his Social Insurance Card!
    So I'm standing there holding Bo Diddley's SIN Card, looking at his name on it, and he sez to me, "What the hell is dat!? Now you gimme a call.... cuz I got somethin' to tell ya. If ya don't gimme that call, I ain't gunna tell ya!" He then took his card back, hopped into the truck, said good-bye and left. It was the f**king coolest thing!
    Sweet As.
    First Roth Army Kiwi To See Van Halen Live 6/16/2012 Phoenix Arizona.

Thread Information