Roadie
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Van Halen Logo Guitar on Ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-1982-VAN...QQcmdZViewItem

ITEM:

For your consideration is the rarest and most important Charvel guitar in existence. This 1982 Van Halen logo Charvel is 1 of 2 in existence made especially for Edward Van Halen, and is actually considered the prototype for the other. The guitar is in 100% original condition and remained in the possession of a Charvel employee for the last 25 years! The guitar was outfitted with an original unstamped plate void of a serial number as per Grover Jackson's demands. Please read the story below...

STORY:
    In 1982 I had just been hired by Eddie Money to play lead guitar, and Grover Jackson had been building guitars for me. I went to Charvel, when they were in Glendora, to meet with Grover and pick up my instruments only to find him distraught as a result of a dispute he was having with Edward Van Halen regarding Charvel endorsement. At that time, Grover produced a Van Halen logo guitar that he claimed was one of two built for Edward as a peace offering. He offered the one not given to Edward to me for the price of $300. I asked him, “What would I do with a Van Halen logo guitar? Thanks but no thanks.” In retrospect, not buying that guitar was one of the biggest regrets of my life. It had haunted me ever since, and I love telling the story. Several months ago I was on the floor of my store, Vintage Gear Hollywood, buying 2 Fender Jazz basses when for some reason I happened to mention the story to the seller. He responded with, “I saw that same guitar this morning. It belongs to a friend of mine.” As it turns out, Grover had given the guitar to one of his employees who has had it ever since. I procured the phone number from the seller and called the owner. Several weeks later, he sold it to me. At this point, it might be good to mention that the other Van Halen logo guitar was a neck through guitar with a Jackson headstock. There was also another prototype/mockup that is pictured below in our auction, it can also be seen in the Charvel book, which was eventually destroyed. This was confirmed by numerous Charvel employees at the time. Although Edward was given the other guitar as a peace offering, I was made aware of and saw a picture of him immediately trading it for a mint 1957 Strat at a guitar show. So there is a photograph of Edward handing that instrument to a vintage guitar dealer. We would appreciate any further information regarding the whereabouts of this photo. The Charvel employee who has owned the instrument since 1982 was instructed by Grover to mount a non-serial numbered Charvel neck plate as it was a prototype and not considered a production guitar. When I was offered this guitar, it was brand new in perfect condition. By the time I purchased it, it was in well-used worn condition. It had also fallen off the assembly storage rack at Charvel in the early 1980s (1982 or 1983) and had broken in 2 places. Fortunately, it was left in original condition and was re-glued by the Charvel employee who I purchased the guitar from. It is in it’s original condition as when I saw it in the early 80s and is also what I believe to be the most significant and rare Charvel in existence. The combination of it’s rarity, as well as, it connection between Charvel and Edward Van Halen makes it a priceless and historically significant piece of rock and roll culture." -John Nelson, Vintage Gear Hollywood

CONDITION:

This guitar is in all original condition. The writing in the neck pocket reads, "VH PROTO," and on the neck itself is written "3595 O-D STD." The guitar was originally gold and black, but has since turned green as does a Les Paul goldtop. It exhibits playing wear because it was actually used by the Charvel employees in the factory. It is broken in 2 places which resulted from an earthquake that damaged almost a dozen guitars at the Charvel factory in 1982 or 1983. The top piece of the wing, as well as, the bottom right leg of the "H" broke off. Both pieces were glued immediately after by the Charvel employee from who I purchased the guitar. The guitar works 100% and has no other originality or structural issues.

Buy it now: $100,000.00

ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Looks more like a Highschool wood shop project from a VH fan and then twenty years later outfitted with falsly aged Charvel tattoos.

The photoshop picks at the end are just sad.

If it wasn't broken he may be able to have the trashman haul it off but even they know questionable junk when they see it.

Four gallons of flux coating every solder ok whatever...

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    To broken up to be worth the $100,000.
    1 of 2. thats the part that gets me.
    And who are these employees?

If they want to list a rare Charvel, then list the 81 models that wayne thought was a good idea to stripe. There are only about 7 of them known to exist. But they are all in collectors hands.

I'll offer this person $100.00

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Last photo has a competely differnt guitar, note the neck. They didnt even find an aged pic of this one.

ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    A one off prototype played to death and handled by the employees.?

Some dumbassed rich arab shieks kid will buy this.

Or perhaps that dumbassed douch that called Lindsey a Fire Crotch.

I just thought of who is the stupidest rich boy fuckstick douch who would be so fukking ignorant to pay money that wasn't his, for something that is worthless.

Broken /Unbroken is the definition of worth in collectables.

My favorite part is some guy sais that he was there when it was created for EVH but he didn't want it for 300.$

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Thome,

I have to agree $300 for a guitar in 1982, was no big thing, especially if it was to be Ed's. I think that whole $300 thing is the smoking gun.

And look at the screws on the input jack, why not replace them. The soldering looks like a blind guy did it.

There is something very wrong here.

John

ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    But then again the deffinition of worth is what some fool is willing to pay.lol

If this story was the reason for the sale it could be criminal as fraud.

Unless it's all true .

but it is still worthless.

I doubt any Guitar builder that works there would be that sloppy.

There must be a secret disclaimer on the story.

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Did you read the question and answers in the listing? Someone asked for measurements, they werent able to give any. Classic.

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Heres a pic from Ed Romans site.
    It really makes the whole story in the listing invalid.

John

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    The bridge looks period-correct, but my question is: Was Charvel even doing the squared 22nd-fret extension yet in '82? :confused:
    That pickup did not exist in '82, either, but that's not an immediate red flag..

Puts the ass in Class
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Where the wind comes sweeping down the plains
    Status
    I've seen a blue one just like that on ebay several times, since ebay first started. Looks like a knock off
    This space for rent.

Puts the ass in Class
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Builder of Sites
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Re: Van Halen Logo Guitar on Ebay

Originally posted by DLR2007

distraught as a result of a dispute he was having with Edward Van Halen

Most realistic part of the whole scam, right there.

spED himself could hand-deliver this to me, wrapped in a bow, and offer to clean my pool while his PR Snatch services me, and I still wouldn't pay more than $400.00 Provided she swallowed.

This is wall-art for a rec room somewhere near Cleveland. at best.

Quote Originally Posted by Kristy View Post
    Dude, what in the fuck is wrong with you? I'm full of hate and I do drugs.
    Quote Originally Posted by cadaverdog View Post
    I posted under aliases and I jerk off with a sock. Anything else to add?

Builder of Sites
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by indeedido
    who's sig is that?

Puts the ass in Class
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    dunno, it was on ebay a couple years ago. I had saved the jpg as I found it interesting. If memory serves, I think it was M. Anthony.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by indeedido
    I was talking to someone who knew the Van Halen family because Jan and Alex played at a Dutch club their dad frequented. Apparently there was a little Dutch community thing going at the time.

Anyways, they were over visiting with Mrs. Van Halen when they lived on Los Lunas and she asked to use the bathroom. The VH house was small and you had to go through Ed and Al's room to get to the bathroom.

This person told me on Ed's bed was a cool looking VH logo guitar. So Ed had one when they were still living in the small house in Pasadena.
    No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Banned
    Ook Can This Be Glove?
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by letsrock
    To broken up to be worth the $100,000.
    1 of 2. thats the part that gets me.
    And who are these employees?

If they want to list a rare Charvel, then list the 81 models that wayne thought was a good idea to stripe. There are only about 7 of them known to exist. But they are all in collectors hands.

I'll offer this person $100.00
    YOU DONT KNOW A FUCKING THING ABOUT IT SO SHUT YUR PIEHOLE THE NECKS WORTH AT LEAST 600

BC!!
    YOU ARE A DUMBSHIT

Banned
    Ook Can This Be Glove?
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by letsrock
    Thome,

I have to agree $300 for a guitar in 1982, was no big thing, especially if it was to be Ed's. I think that whole $300 thing is the smoking gun.

And look at the screws on the input jack, why not replace them. The soldering looks like a blind guy did it.

There is something very wrong here.

John
    GODDAMMIT JOHN YOU GOT THE STARCH OF INGNORANSE IN YOUR LAPELS

FIRST OF ALL, SHAWNA GREGORY WAS THE ONE WHO DID THE ARTWORK FOR THIS, AS YOU CAN SEE ALL COLORS ARE IN LACQUER WITHOUT A TOPCOAT OF CLEAR

SECONDLY THE HEADSTOCK IS CORRECT
    THIRDLY THE WATERSLIDE TRANSFER DECAL LOGO IS EXACTLY CORRECT PLACED MOST DEFINATELY IN THE CORRECT PLACE

THIRDLY THE BRASS APM STRING RETAINER AND BRIDGE ARE CORRECT YOU WILL NOTICE THE EXACT BRIDGE THE EXACT ARM ON THE FIRST RRHODES WHITE VEE FROM THE OLD OZZY PIX

FORTHLY THE LOGSHEET NUMBER ON THAT 1985 NECK MAY POSTDATE THE 81 BODY BUT THATS OKAY BECAUSE THERE IS NO DIFFERENCE BETWEEN AN 81 OR AN 85 NECK SO THIS IS CONSIDERED CORRECT AS THIS BODY WAS A PROTOTYPE AND AS SUCH UNSALEABLE AND UNDESIREABLE BUT NOT SO FOR THE NECK AND THAT WENT ONTO SOMETHING ELSE TO COMPLETE ANOTHER ORDER

FIFTHLY THE PENCILED CODE O-D STANDS FOR OIL AND DECAL, WATCO DANISH OIL FINISH TINTED WITH JUST A FEW DROPS OF YELLOW PAINT TO TINT IT WAS HAND RUBBED THEN BUFFED LATER WHEN SURFACE DRY, AND D FOR DECAL MEANS TO ADD A DECAL BECAUSE HALF THE NECKS WENT TO MUSIC STORES OR WHOLESALERS LIKE WD OR DIMARZIO AS STOCK FENDER REPLACEMENT NECKS AND THOSE WENT BLANK NO DECALS ON THOSE

SIXTHLY THE GUY DOESNT REALLY WANNA SELL IT BUT SEE IT FLOAT TO AN OFFER BECAUSE SINCE IT NEVER WAS OWNED BY EVH BUT SAT AS A BODY BLANK HALF ITS LIFE NEAR THE GRAPHICS SHELVING UNTIL THE FACTORY MOVED TO ONTARIO IN 1989, IT ISN'T WORTH $100K BUT MAY REACH $5K BECAUSE ITS A COMPLETELY ORIGINAL PROTOTYPE

STEVENTHLY GMW GUITARWORKS HAS THE NUMBER 2 NECKTHRU FOR SALE AT $3500 CHECK THEIR SITE

Banned
    Ook Can This Be Glove?
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    ALSO YOU DUMB SUMBITCHES THE LETTERS "JJ" IN THE CORNER BACK OF THE NECKS NECKHOLES STANDS FOR LONGTIME SAN DIMAS EMPLOYEE JEFF JOHNSON WHO DIED THIS SUMMER FROM AN ASTHMA ATTACK AND MOST-FUCKING-OBVIOUSLY SANDED THIS NECK TO SHAPE AND RAG THE OIL ON IT BEFORE IT WENT TO THE BUFFOUT ROOM

TO ME THIS GUITAR IS INDEED THE RAREST VH CHARVEL IN EXISTENCE THIS IS IT ONLY ONE OF A KIND AND EVEN RARER WITH A BLANK SERIAL

SERIALED PO BOX PLATES CAME AFTER 1984 SO THIS IS NOT THE ORIGINAL FLAT BRASS PLATE BUT BFD - THIS BLANK PLATE IS VERY COOL

JACKSON DIDNT WIND PICKUPS TILL 1985 THE STOCK PICKUPS TILL 83 WERE CREAM DIMARZIO SUPER D'S SO THIS SHIT JACKSON 50 IS WAY INCORRECT BUT THAT IS AN EASY REPLACEMENT

ALSO THE GUITAR GROVER IS SHOWN WITH IN THE 1980 PIC IS THE SECOND BOLTON VH2 THIS ONE FOR SALE IS THE FIRST SO THIS ONE IS FROM 1980 OR OLDER

JEFF JOHNSON WORKED FROM 82 THRU 88 SO MOST CERTAINLY THIS NECK CAME LATER HOWEVER ITS ALL ORIGINAL EXCEPT FOR THE PICKUP THATS GOTTA GO

Banned
    Ook Can This Be Glove?
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    ACTUALL NOW ALL PICS LOADED ID HAVE TO SAY THERES QUITE A THICK CLEARCOAT BECAUSE THE BASE COLOR IS METALLIC SILVER BUT THE CLEAR LACQUER FADING TO A HONEY YELLOW MAKES IT LOOK GOLD

PHENOLIC NUT IS CORRECT PATINA FOR 1980S SOUTH BAY PLASTICS TORRANCE CA SHEETSTOCK THEY USED FOR NUTS

GOTOH TUNERS IN BLACK CHROME DIDNT HAPPEN TILL 1982 OTHERWISE THEYD BE GOLD PLATED SCHALLER MINI6

Banned
    Ook Can This Be Glove?
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    MAYBE THIS WILL DO 20 TO 25k

BC!!
    A WISE INVESTMENT BUT GET AN ANVIL CASE MADE WHOEVER BUYS IT

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by BlimpyCHIMP™
    THE NECKS WORTH AT LEAST 600
    I've been offered that much for my original Charvel necks...not like I'd EVER sell 'em...

But BC, WHY ARE YOU YELLING?!?!

Banned
    Easy day was yesterday.

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I like the repairs...look like they were done with krazy glue.

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    BC,

We'll let you believe what you want. If that guitar is so damaged (see listing) then that neck wasnt cared for either.

That is the Charvel (copyright violation) neck.
    Thats the only reason it commands any real money.

I'd offer him $50.00 for the neck, and a quater for everything else.

BTW, a site use to sell instructions on how to create that guitar.
    there are more than you think.

John

ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I WANT TYO CAPAS LOK MY REPLY TOO!!!!

ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I WANT TYO CAP'AS LOK MY REPLY TOO!!!!

but i'm too lazy, cause, just because.

I wouldn't hang this piece of sh!t over my bar, if I had a bar, even if I lived near Cleveland.

If the thing is broken as much as seen it is junk.

The only guitar in the world worth a fukk broken is that one Jimmy burnt on stage.

All others are just dumpster filler ,or repair parts for other broke sh!t.

ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by thome

I wouldn't hang this piece of sh!t over my bar, if I had a bar, even if I lived near Cleveland.

The only guitar in the world worth a fukk broken is that one Jimmy burnt on stage.

Now don't get me wrong if I had made this in woodshop in highschool I would think it was The Cats!!

For a home made job that some Dude made who isn't a guitar maker it is also pretty good...

25.00$ at the garage sale .

ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Now don't get me wrong if I had made this in woodshop in highschool I would think it was The Cats!!

For a home made job that some Dude made who isn't a guitar maker it is also pretty good...

But, I took Metal and Auto Shop so all is Mute'

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    ...The word you're looking for is 'moot'....

ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

CUASE, I WAS KOOL!!!!!

I peaked early.

Now, I gotta catch that south bound, Cause iza Cold.

I wonder if that bridge under the Dallas freeway is still warm?

A bottle o' sweet Lucy and ....where am I.

I bet I could Pawn that guitar for a for a -MEGAPHONE- as I walk the sidewalks screaming," I Can Make A Booger TALK"

The Downtownies love me.

ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by jhale667
    ...The word you're looking for is 'moot'....
    I thought It Was MOOTAY'

I gotta go find a barstool and a Guinness or 7.

Rock On jhale.

:p

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by BlimpyCHIMP™
    ID HAVE TO SAY THERES QUITE A THICK CLEARCOAT BECAUSE THE BASE COLOR IS METALLIC SILVER BUT THE CLEAR LACQUER FADING TO A HONEY YELLOW MAKES IT LOOK GOLD
    I was just about to post that after reading the thread...

Thanks CHIMP!

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    But, that would mean the white trim was painted by hand on top of the clear coat as it's not aged...

Nitrocellulose silver and gold turn to that army greenish without any clear coat...

That guitar is real though...and i've seen them here and there around the country...no big deal...

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by ELVIS
    But, that would mean the white trim was painted by hand on top of the clear coat as it's not aged...

Nitrocellulose silver and gold turn to that army greenish without any clear coat...

That guitar is real though...and i've seen them here and there around the country...no big deal...

if you've seen them here and there around the country either you were
    a) following one of the 2 guitars.
    b) got lucky to be in the same place they were.
    c) there is more than 2.

I vote for C.

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    There are two prototypes...

I've seen more than one with blue and silver airbrush...

I've seen them on ebay as well...

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Elvis,

Thanks for clearing that up.
    I have seen these all over the place.
    That one on ebay is not one of the prototypes.
    If it was would any one let it get destroyed like that? Nope.
    Someone had some pics and built a replica.

John

Thread Information