Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 78/84 guy
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    • Apr 2005

The hair cuts is when they lost me. They really sold out when the did that !! After a couple years of grunge I was looking for these guys & Gn'R to kick rock in the ass again with their new disc's. Then Gun's fell apart and Metallica come's out looking like homo's !!! A sad day in metal indeed !!! but they do kill live without question. Let's hope the new disc is back to THE OLD DAYS !! THEIR OLD DAY'S

Comment

• Mr. Vengeance
      Full Member Status

• Nov 2004

Originally posted by binnie
      Still a kick ass band, IMO. And they'll take anyone live. Anyone.

It's a shame that music fans can't embrace bands when they become succesful. Wouldn't it be sadder if Lars and James were exactly the same guys they were in 1985? Still playing straight E chords and churning out the same record every two years.

Yeah, some of their musical experiments haven't been to everyone's taste; and yes, their best albums are behind them, but what other band in their mid-40s makes albums as strong as those from 20 years ago (Rush and Maiden are the only two who spring to mind).

Point is, don't rag on someone for being succesful. You don't like their music for the past 15-20 years, don't listen to it.

As far as being greedy goes, other bands do far more IMO: Metallica has not issued a "remastered" version of their back catalogue with bonus tracks (hello Iron Maiden, how many reissues now?)); and they don't issue three versions of the same album ('special' edition 'tour' edition) like so many more 'credible' bands do.
      I certainly didn't slag them for being successful. I loved the "black" album. Not as much as the ultimate Metallica kick-ass Ride the Lightning, but still...

Where they lost me is the shitty product after "Metallica" that was just a lame attempt to recapture the success. Load, followed by the even worse ReLoad. I had all kinds of hope for St. Anger and then it came out with nothing but more watered down Metallica, with those stupid sounding drums.

All bands have their ups and downs, but Metallica needs to get back to being balls out anti-establishment, and I don't think they can do it.
      Stay Frosty, muthas!

Comment

• 78/84 guy
        Crazy Ass Mofo
        • Apr 2005

Agreed !!!!

Comment

• Hollywood Jesus
          Head Fluffer
          • Mar 2004

Gotta go with Binnie here. "Fans" who jumped ship after Justice missed some fine music. I love Kill Em All, Black and ReLoad. It's just good music. St. Anger not so much, but Metallica has earned a mulligan from me.

As far as videos, melodies, board shorts..etc, it has to do with people growing and maturing as human beings. 20 years ago, I lived on Pepsi, pizza and blonde cheerleaders. Now, it's sushi, sake and high-heeled CEO's. Each choice rocked my world.

Do yourself a favor and enjoy the music without putting these guys in a box... Me? I ain't buying the shorts.
          "Float like a butterfly. Sting like a B-52." - DLR=VH=
          "Rejoice in the wife of your youth. May her breasts satisfy you always." Proverbs 5:18-19.

Comment

• Coyote
            ROTH ARMY SUPREME
            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Hollywood Jesus (paraphrased)
            20 years ago, blonde cheerleaders. Now, high-heeled CEO's. Each choice rocked my world.
            Is there a substantial difference?
            Why settle for something you have, if it's not as good as something you're out to get?

Originally posted by Seshmeister
            It's like putting up a YouTube of Bach and playing Chopstix on your Bontempi...

Comment

• MNM5150
              Roth Army Recruit
              • Jan 2008

I just wish they remotely kinda rocked. Ride The Lightning FTW!
              http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/7...rbar5bxut2.gif
              http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/8337/vvvvvvvvvvco5.png
              http://img337.imageshack.us/img337/9...nedys02ri4.jpg
              http://img252.imageshack.us/img252/3...dzusbarjm6.gif
              http://img363.imageshack.us/img363/5...ntaylorpr7.png
              http://img451.imageshack.us/img451/8...torheadoq6.png

Comment

• binnie
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • May 2006

Originally posted by Hollywood Jesus

As far as videos, melodies, board shorts..etc, it has to do with people growing and maturing as human beings. 20 years ago, I lived on Pepsi, pizza and blonde cheerleaders. Now, it's sushi, sake and high-heeled CEO's. Each choice rocked my world.
                I wished I could have expressed it that well!
                The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• Binky
                  Head Fluffer
                  • Jan 2007

Not a big fan of Metallica, though they're great live. Don't hate them though, their music doesn't always appeal to me.

However, catch some scenarios I've been in with some mates. Makes me wanna move to Germany sometimes:
                  Me: Do you like Metallica?
                  Mate: Yeah and if you don't you're not a true metalhead!

Mate: Are they the ones who ruined Napster?
                  Me: No they sued their fans who used Napster
                  Mate: Same difference

Mate: Yeah I love Enter Sandman!
                  Me: Ride the Lightning?
                  Mate ..........is that on Iron Maiden's Dance of Death?

Mate: Well I don't know but SoM is so spiritual and enchanting! They're almost as good as Nightwish, and no one is allowed to diss them!

*conclusion: Emos = Chris Crocker*

Comment

Working...