Warning: Undefined array key "birthday" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/notice.php on line 1 The Official End To Metallica - The Diamond David Lee Roth Army

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Official End To Metallica

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

God love ya Binnie for putting up a good argument. But you're missing the main point of this whole thing. Metallica prided themselves as being the anti-sellout band. Not following trends, $9.98 cd DO NOT PAY MORE!, Dying on you knees conformity, etc.... Which is a big part of why the rockers back in the day swarmed around them, they were against the big corporate machine, cookie cutter artists, & the standard 3-minute track.

Now when I see Walmart shirts plastered with Rolling Stones or Kiss logos, it doesn't upset me because these bands were always about big marketing. Metallica are just a bunch of hypocrites going against everything they stood for in their heyday.

Oh well, I still play & enjoy the albums through And Justice For All...
    “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

well said......cheers
      Originally posted by hideyoursheep
      When Hagar speaks, I want to cut off my ears and send them to Bristol Palin.
      "It's like trying to fit a mouse fart into a sardine can with a shoe horn"-Ace Diamond

Comment

Originally posted by sadaist
        God love ya Binnie for putting up a good argument. But you're missing the main point of this whole thing. Metallica prided themselves as being the anti-sellout band. Not following trends, $9.98 cd DO NOT PAY MORE!, Dying on you knees conformity, etc.... Which is a big part of why the rockers back in the day swarmed around them, they were against the big corporate machine, cookie cutter artists, & the standard 3-minute track.

Now when I see Walmart shirts plastered with Rolling Stones or Kiss logos, it doesn't upset me because these bands were always about big marketing. Metallica are just a bunch of hypocrites going against everything they stood for in their heyday.

Oh well, I still play & enjoy the albums through And Justice For All...
        I know what you mean, and I can't argue against that. But aren't they victims of their own success?

I suppose once you become as successful as they did circa 1992 you don't have any choice BUT to "sellout" - play the corporate game etc You will be selling lots of T-shirts, and all arena rock bands do merch. It's the easy route to take. Not like they didn't earn it, who toured harder?

But for my money, they could have sold out a LOT more. If they had really sold out, they would have tried to remake the "Black" album for the past 15 years, and they haven't. Whether you like "load" or not, it doesn't sound much like the "Black" album, and St. Anger is hardly corporate rock is it? Musically, they've never taken the easy route (whether you like the output or not, you have to admit that...)
        The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

I remember when I first heard Nothing Else Matters on the radio. I kept waiting for the song to get heavy...and I waited...and I waited...and I waited. I was so disgusted. I haven't bought a Metallica album, shirt, concert ticket, dvd or anything else since then.

Nothing Else Matters must be about money.
          “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

This honestly doesn't shock me. I mean if you can get PJ pants with Ride the Lightning or Justice's artwork on them you're not too far off from doing board shorts.

I just pray that the new album with Rick Rubin is what they say it is- A return to being that hungry band with alot of fire out to prove something to the world.
            DSG

http://www.wfmu.org/Playlists/Scott/van%20halen.jpg

Comment

The Black Album was the end.

Yet strangely enough, I like that album... lol...

All this merchandising is common to all artists these
              days, you dont make the $$$ off CD sales anymore...
              Its all irrelevant anyway, after they cut their hair, recorded
              black and started doing videos it wasnt the same..

In fact its never been the same since Cliff Burton
              crashed the big bus into the pearly gates...
              BABY PANA 2 IS Coming !! All across the land, let the love and beer flow !
              Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

panamark, they did the black album and massive world tour that lasted 3 years. then cut their hair and made "load".
                "It's like trying to fit a mouse fart into a sardine can with a shoe horn"-Ace Diamond

Comment

G'day Ace, yeah thats when they lost my attention...

Load was shit, and it just got worse.
                  BABY PANA 2 IS Coming !! All across the land, let the love and beer flow !
                  Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

If you think of Load as a Rock album versus a Thrash album...it is damn good.

Comment

Originally posted by WACF
                      Except for the fact that it's recorded by Metallica, thereby making it damn awful.
                      Twistin' by the pool.

Comment

Load is the perfect mix of slower, classic metal and southern blues-rock sensibilty. Out of all of Metallica's albums it's the most unique and therefore my favorite.

Alot of people say the album isn't heavy enough yet you got tracks like Ain't My Bitch, 2x4, King Nothing, Wasting My Hate, and Outlaw Torn that are some of the heaviest riff's they ever wrote bar none! But no one really notices because they're listening with thier eyes.

Last edited by DeadMan1984; 01-17-2008, 03:45 AM.
                        DSG

http://www.wfmu.org/Playlists/Scott/van%20halen.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Panamark
                          G'day Ace, yeah thats when they lost my attention...

Load was shit, and it just got worse.
                          g'day mate.

no offense,mate.........but after the black album come out i quit caring.
                          the last metallica record i purchased was "...AND JUSTICE FOR ALL".
                          i have staunchly refuse to spend any money on them since.
                          this is a band who said, and i quote, "we will never sell out" and "we will never make a music video".

thus because they have done both, i have not supported them since 1989.

Comment

kinda like "MUSIC FROM THE ELDER" was a good rock opera concept record, as long as you forget is done by KISS.

Comment

Exactly. It's a good record, just not a good Metallica record. People pigeonhole bands and limit what they are allowed to do.

Originally posted by sadaist

Nothing Else Matters must be about money.
                              Or, it could be a genuinely heartfelt statement. To my eyes/ears it'd be more about money if they'd just churned out the Black Abum marks 2, 3 and 4 for the last 15 years; or if they were still playing thrash-tastic stuff - if you're a "true" artist, you won't be making the same music at 40 as you were at 25. People change.

Lets agree to disagree, good discussion though. Who'd have thought that people on this webiste could disagree without name-calling?
                              The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

Originally posted by binnie

Lets agree to disagree, good discussion though. Who'd have thought that people on this webiste could disagree without name-calling?
                                LMAO! This is House of Music, not The Front Line.

Comment

Working...
                                X