X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • scamper
    Commando
    • May 2005

Why isn't this racist

Mr. Obama was asked at last night’s debate whether Mr. Clinton was “the first black president,” as Toni Morrison, the novelist, has said. Mr. Obama replied that he would first have to see whether Mr. Clinton can dance before calling him a brother. It was a brief moment of levity in a contentious slug-fest of a debate with Senator Hillary Clinton and former Senator John Edwards.
    Bill Clinton joked that he would take Barack Obama up on the challenge to prove himself as the first black president by entering a dance competition.

In a world where Kelly Tilghman is getting crucified for a joke about lynching everyone thinks this is funny. She said it not even thinking about race, Obama said it directly about race. This is not a slam against Obama because I thought it was funny too, but who is making the rules saying one is OK but not the other.
  • scamper
    Commando
    • May 2005

Originally posted by scamper
    http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2.../22/dance-off/

In a world where Kelly Tilghman is getting crucified for a joke about lynching everyone thinks this is funny. She said it not even thinking about race, Obama said it directly about race. This is not a slam against Obama because I thought it was funny too, but who is making the rules saying one is OK but not the other.
    Oops I said crucified, who is that going to piss off.

Comment

• Hollywood Jesus
      Head Fluffer
      • Mar 2004

Oops I said crucified, who is that going to piss off.
      Any time you reference the good Lord in conversation, it's a good thing. Keep the visibility high.

As far as racism, I think we should use our collective heads a little more. Intent has a whole heck of a lot to do with it. Neither case you reference sound like malicious intent to me. Now, I have an uncle who can't even say the words "watermelon" or "fried chicken" without dripping malice--these are the scary people. Not Don Imus.
      "Float like a butterfly. Sting like a B-52." - DLR=VH=
      "Rejoice in the wife of your youth. May her breasts satisfy you always." Proverbs 5:18-19.

Comment

• VanHalener
        ROCKSTAR

• Nov 2006

Whitey can't dance?

I'm gonna sue that bastard!
        ~Only you can prevent low volume~

Comment

• Nickdfresh
          SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Re: Why isn't this racist

http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2.../22/dance-off/

Why would it be racist? Dude, you're way too uptight...

Blacks can get away with more of these types of jokes, but then again, they're the minority whose ancestors were slaves and had their continent raped, although certainly not just by white people....

Comment

• VanHalener
            ROCKSTAR

• Nov 2006

I thought Obama's reply was spot on and quite funny.

Comment

• scamper
              Commando
              • May 2005

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
              Why would it be racist? Dude, you're way too uptight...

Blacks can get away with more of these types of jokes, but then again, they're the minority whose ancestors were slaves and had their continent raped, although certainly not just by white people....
              The point I was trying to make is that one is considered racist and one is not. I don't consider either one racist but alot of people said the lynch remark was. This lady was suspended because of it.

Originally posted by Hollywood Jesus
              As far as racism, I think we should use our collective heads a little more. Intent has a whole heck of a lot to do with it.
              I agree with this comment point.

Comment

• VanHalener
                ROCKSTAR

• Nov 2006

Originally posted by Hollywood Jesus
                As far as racism, I think we should use our collective heads a little more. Intent has a whole heck of a lot to do with it.
                <object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/TBh-YDP06m8&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/TBh-YDP06m8&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
                Last edited by VanHalener; 01-24-2008, 03:14 PM.

Comment

• jhale667
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Aug 2004

The point I was trying to make is that one is considered racist and one is not. I don't consider either one racist but alot of people said the lynch remark was. This lady was suspended because of it.
                  I'm amazed you're even making the comparison...

dancing....LYNCHING....

Anybody ever been killed by dancing?
                  Last edited by jhale667; 01-24-2008, 03:50 PM.
                  Originally posted by conmee
                  If anyone even thinks about deleting the Muff Thread they are banned.... no questions asked.

That is all.

Icon.
                  Originally posted by GO-SPURS-GO
                  I've seen prominent hypocrite liberal on this site Jhale667

Originally posted by Isaac R.
                  Then it's really true??:eek:

The Muff Thread is really just GONE ???

OMFG...who in their right mind...???
                  Originally posted by eddie78
                  I was wrong about you, brother. You're good.

Comment

• scamper
                    Commando
                    • May 2005

Originally posted by jhale667
                    I'm amazed you're even making the comparison...

dancing....LYNCHING....

Anybody ever been killed by dancing?
                    Both said as jokes....thats the comparison. When I first heard of the lynching remark I was amazed they made it a race thing. The first thing that comes to my mind when I hear lynch is the old west, and I'm originally from the south.

Comment

• jhale667
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Aug 2004

Both said as jokes....thats the comparison. When I first heard of the lynching remark I was amazed they made it a race thing. The first thing that comes to my mind when I hear lynch is the old west, and I'm originally from the south.
                      Maybe so, but one is a joke about gauging someone's dance skills, and one is about KILLING someone....and I'm from the south too, and that's not the first analogy that pops into my mind....
                      Originally posted by conmee
                      If anyone even thinks about deleting the Muff Thread they are banned.... no questions asked.

That is all.

Icon.
                      Originally posted by GO-SPURS-GO
                      I've seen prominent hypocrite liberal on this site Jhale667

Originally posted by Isaac R.
                      Then it's really true??:eek:

The Muff Thread is really just GONE ???

OMFG...who in their right mind...???
                      Originally posted by eddie78
                      I was wrong about you, brother. You're good.

Comment

• scamper
                        Commando
                        • May 2005

Originally posted by jhale667
                        Maybe so, but one is a joke about gauging someone's dance skills, and one is about KILLING someone....and I'm from the south too, and that's not the first analogy that pops into my mind....
                        So you're saying that it's what you're joking about not who you're joking about?

Comment

• blonddgirl777
                          ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2005

So you're saying that it's what you're joking about not who you're joking about?
                          In the case of Dancing Vs Lynching...

The blacks have good reasons to be offended by lynching jokes... Some of their ancestors DID get lynched and as everyone knows, those crimes against humanity and the humiliation can be hard to forget.

But it always comes down to the same fact; WHITE MEN are the ones who have to watch everything they say or do... There will always be a woman or an ethnicity to come back and cry o'sexism/racism... sometimes being reasonable, sometimes not!
                          http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e9...oman-movie.jpg
                          Originally posted by Nitro Express
                          ... What erases the linger of horniness more than Al Quaida? Then blondegirl can post some new hot dudes and stir a new wave of horniness...
                          Originally posted by Jérôme Frenchise
                          [B]... Cooking, I mean Cooking, is men's field...
                          http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e9...i_triangle.jpg
                          Originally posted by VanHalener
                          ... Fight the Good Fight and Win!...
                          Originally posted by FORD
                          ... And let's face it, if mothers (except Chelsea Clinton's) ruled this world, there would be no goddamned war in the first place...

Comment

• blonddgirl777
                            ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2005

Some black people must be sick and tired to hear everyone assuming that blacks can dance, run or jump better...

It's like saying that they are only good at the physical stuff, due to their natural body structures. Because the "important" intellectual matters are mostly left in the hands of white men!

And until now (soon to change, maybe), we still see the colour differences between what goes on in the white house and the professional basketball courts.
                            Last edited by blonddgirl777; 01-24-2008, 05:32 PM.
                            http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e9...oman-movie.jpg
                            Originally posted by Nitro Express
                            ... What erases the linger of horniness more than Al Quaida? Then blondegirl can post some new hot dudes and stir a new wave of horniness...
                            Originally posted by Jérôme Frenchise
                            [B]... Cooking, I mean Cooking, is men's field...
                            http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e9...i_triangle.jpg
                            Originally posted by VanHalener
                            ... Fight the Good Fight and Win!...
                            Originally posted by FORD
                            ... And let's face it, if mothers (except Chelsea Clinton's) ruled this world, there would be no goddamned war in the first place...

Comment

• LoungeMachine
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Jul 2004

Re: Why isn't this racist

[

, but who is making the rules saying one is OK but not the other.
                              That would be me.

Let me know how I can help.

Originally posted by Kristy
                              Dude, what in the fuck is wrong with you? I'm full of hate and I do drugs.
                              Originally posted by cadaverdog
                              I posted under aliases and I jerk off with a sock. Anything else to add?

Comment

Working...