X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nickdfresh
    SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by FORD
    Probably one of the oldest buildings on this continent would be the San Xavier mission located just a little south of Tucson AZ......

It was built in 1797, though it's actually the second mission building. The original was built a century before that. Not sure if they demolished that building to build this one or what, exactly, but they obviously did the job right the second time, because it's still there.

When it was built, Arizona was a Spanish colony, then became part of Mexico, and was finally annexed into the US. And the mission happens to be located on the Tohono O'odham reservation, so I guess you could say it has survived 4 regime changes, and still standing.

Just a cool damned building that even non-Catholics can appreciate.........

There's many buildings on the East Coast that date to the 17th century. I've been to two that I know of. Fort Niagara in Youngstown, NY dates back to about 1678 when the French established it to guard Lake Ontario and surrounding settlements. The Army operated it until the early 1960's, but the U.S. Coast Guard still has a small base there making it one of the oldest continually operating military bases in North America...

Comment

• Igosplut
      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
      Even I've never drank enough vodka to write that...
      The devil you say!!...

I've seen worse from you...
      Chainsaw Muthuafucka

Comment

• Hardrock69
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Feb 2005

That IS a beautiful building.

Comment

• FORD
          ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

It's pretty damn cool on the inside too. Although it's open to the public it's also still an active church. Last time I was there it was a Saturday and the priest was taking confessions, which seems a little weird to do with a bunch of tourists walking around.

Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

Working...