Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,397 Times in 6,054 Posts

The Clintons, a horror film that never ends

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/com...cle3510778.ece

From The Sunday TimesMarch 9, 2008

The Clintons, a horror film that never ends

Andrew Sullivan

It’s alive! We thought it might be over but some of us never dared fully believe it. Last week was like one of those moments in a horror movie when the worst terror recedes, the screen goes blank and then reopens on green fields or a lover’s tender embrace. Drained but still naive audiences breathe a collective sigh of relief. The plot twists have all been resolved; the threat is gone; the quiet spreads. And then . . .

Put your own movie analogy in here. Glenn Close in the bathtub in Fatal Attraction – whoosh! she’s back at your throat! – has often occurred to me when covering the Clintons these many years. The Oscars host Jon Stewart compares them to a Terminator: the kind that is splattered into a million tiny droplets of vaporised metal . . . only to pool together spontaneously and charge back at you unfazed.

The Clintons have always had a touch of the zombies about them: unkillable, they move relentlessly forward, propelled by a bloodlust for Republicans or uppity Democrats who dare to question their supremacy. You can’t escape; you can’t hide; and you can’t win. And these days, in the kinetic pace of the YouTube campaign, they are like the new 28 Days Later zombies. They come at you really quickly, like bats out of hell. Or Ohio, anyway.

Now all this may seem a little melodramatic. Perhaps it is. Objectively, an accomplished senator won a couple of races – one by a mere 3% – against another senator in a presidential campaign. One senator is still mathematically unbeatable. But that will never capture the emotional toll that the Clintons continue to take on some of us. I’m not kidding. I woke up in a cold sweat early last Wednesday. There have been moments this past week when I have felt physically ill at the thought of that pair returning to power.

Why? I have had to write several columns in this space over the years acknowledging that the substantive legacy of the Clinton administration (with a lot of assist from Newt Gingrich) was a perfectly respectable one: welfare reform, fiscal sanity, prudent foreign policy, leaner government. But remembering the day-to-day psychodramas of those years still floods my frontal cortex with waves of loathing and anxiety. The further away you are from them, the easier it is to think they’re fine. Up close they are an intolerable, endless, soul-sapping soap opera.

The media are marvelling at the Clintons’ several near-death political experiences in this campaign. Hasn’t it occurred to them how creepily familiar all this is? The Clintons live off psychodrama. They both love to push themselves to the brink of catastrophe and then accomplish the last-minute, nail-biting self-rescue. Before too long the entire story becomes about them, their ability to triumph through crisis, even though the crises are so often manufactured by themselves. That is what last week brought back for me. The 1990s – with a war on.

Remember: Bill Clinton could have easily settled the Paula Jones lawsuit years before he put the entire country through the wringer (Jones sued Clinton for sexual harassment alleged to have occurred while he was governor of Arkansas).

Recall: Hillary Clinton could have killed what turned out to be the White-water nonstory at the very outset by disclosing everything she could (the scandal centred on a controversial Arkansas property deal).

Consider: the Clintons could have prepared for primaries and caucuses after February 5 – so-called Super Tuesday, when 24 states held their presidential nomination vote – as any careful candidate would. They chose not to do any of these things. Not because they are incompetent. But because they live to risk.

Politics is also their life. They know nothing else. Most halfway normal people in politics could at some point walk away. Reagan seemed happy to. Not the Clintons. In the words of the American-based British writer Christo-pher Hitchens, these are the kind of people who never want the meeting to end. Hillary Clinton will never concede the race so long as there is even the faintest chance that she can somehow win.

They endure all sorts of humiliation – remember the taped Clinton deposition in the Ken Starr investigation (in which Clinton admitted to the inquiry headed by the far-right prosecutor that he had had an “improper physical relationship” with Monica Lewinsky)? Hillary’s dismissal of the Lewinsky matter as an invention of the right-wing conspiracy? – because they know no other way to live. They have been thinking of this moment since they were in college and being a senator or an ex-president or having two terms in the White House are not sufficient to satiate their sense of entitlement. Even if they have to put their own party through a divisive, bitter, possibly fatal death match, they will never give up. Their country, their party . . . none of this matters compared with them.

The patterns are staggeringly unaltered. Last Thursday The Washing-ton Post ran an article reporting on the almost comic divisions within the Clinton camp: how chaotic the planning had been, how much chief pollster Mark Penn hated all the other advisers, how even in the wake of a sudden victory most of the Clintonites were eager to score rancid points off each other.

The secrecy and paranoia endure too. Releasing tax returns is routine for a presidential candidate. Barack Obama did it some time back. The Clintons still haven’t – and say they won’t for more than another month. Why? They have no explanation. They seem affronted by the question.

When you look at the electoral map if the Clintons run again, you also see a reversion to the old patterns of the 1990s – the patterns that cynical political strategists such as Karl Rove and Dick Morris have been exploiting for two decades. The country – scrambled by the post-baby-boomer pragmatism of Obama – snaps back into classic red-blue mode, with the blue areas denoting Democratic-leaning states around the edge and true red Republican states in the heartlands.

The Clintons are comfortable with this polarisation. They need it. Even when running against a fellow Democrat, they instinctively reach for it. Last week, in response to the Obama camp’s request that they release their tax returns, Clinton’s spokesman called Obama a new Ken Starr. For the Clintons, all Democrats who oppose them are . . . Republicans. And all Republicans are evil.

And evil means that anything the Clintons do in self-defence is excusable – even playing the race card, and the Muslim card, and the gender card, and every sleazy gambit that the politics of fear can come up with. This is how they have arrested the Obama juggernaut. It’s the only game they know how to play.

One is reminded of the words of Bob Dylan: “And here I sit so patiently / Waiting to find out what price / You have to pay to get out of / Going through all these things twice.”
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Builder of Sites
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    02-08-2016 @ 02:28 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,705 Times in 2,513 Posts

I never understood why The Clintons and The Clintonistas were so reviled by The Right.....

And then came Hillary 2008.

I get it now.

Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:10 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by LoungeMachine
    I never understood why The Clintons and The Clintonistas were so reviled by The Right.....

And then came Hillary 2008.

I get it now.

Yeah I'm very much the same.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:02 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,284 Times in 1,502 Posts

Blog Entries
    Speaks even larger to a Democratic Party that is amazingly adept at snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. Why piss off Florida by not even seating the delegates? Um...not for nothing...but Florida is a SLIGHTLY more than crucial state in the general. Why go out of the way as a political party to slight the voters of that state, particularly when it breaks so close in terms of votes between the two parties anyway?

If Hillary is the nominee, she's gonna lose.

And this is coming from someone who pulled the lever for Gore in 2000 and Kerry in 2004; Hillary Clinton should NOT be the candidate for the Dems.

I'm seriously considering either not voting or casting my ballot for McCain should she get the nod.

Now Hillary makes allusions towards a Clinton-Obama ticket. Obama rightly asks why it is the candidate in second place is presuming to say the person leading in the delegates and votes thus far (Obama) should accept second place on the ticket. He then asks why if Hillary doesn't think Obama's ready for the presidency he should then become Vice-President (!).

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:10 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I'm confused by the experiance argument.

Does that mean that when she was Bill's wife it was her that answered the phone at 3am? For 8 years fucking W has been answering the phone so if the janitor answered would that be much worse?

She should just be honest for once and run an advert saying vote for me I'm not a ****** and have a vagina!

26-21
    ROTH ARMY ELITE

Member No
    Last Online
    10-07-2020 @ 08:27 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by Terry
    Now Hillary makes allusions towards a Clinton-Obama ticket. Obama rightly asks why it is the candidate in second place is presuming to say the person leading in the delegates and votes thus far (Obama) should accept second place on the ticket. He then asks why if Hillary doesn't think Obama's ready for the presidency he should then become Vice-President (!).

By CHARLES BABINGTON,
    Associated Press Writer

COLUMBUS, Miss. (AP) -- Democrat Barack Obama ridiculed the idea of being Hillary Rodham Clinton's running mate Monday, saying voters must choose between the two for the top spot on the fall ticket.

The Illinois senator used his first public appearance of the week to knock down the notion that he might accept the party's vice presidential nomination.

He noted that he has won more states, votes and delegates than Clinton so far.

"I don't know how somebody who is in second place is offering the vice presidency to the person who is first place," Obama said, drawing cheers and a long standing ovation from about 1,700 people.

Saying he wanted to be "absolutely clear," he added: "I don't want anybody here thinking that somehow, 'Well, you know, maybe I can get both.' Don't think that way. You have to make a choice in this election."

"I am not running for vice president," Obama said. "I am running for president of the United States of America."

Later, The Associated Press asked Obama if he would "absolutely close out any possibility" of taking the ticket's second spot.

He replied: "I am not running for vice president, and don't intend to be the vice president."

Obama aides said Clinton's recent hints that she might welcome him as her vice presidential candidate appeared meant to diminish him and to attract undecided voters in the remaining primary states by suggesting they can have a "dream ticket."

Obama had never suggested he might accept a second spot on the ticket.

But until Monday he had not ridiculed the notion so directly, even if he did not completely rule it out in Shermanesque terms.

He told the audience it made no sense for Clinton to suggest heis not ready to be president and then hint that she might hand him the job that could make him president at a moment's notice.

"If I'm not ready, how is it that you think I should be such a great vice president?" he said, as the crowd laughed and cheered loudly.

Mississippi holds it primary Tuesday, the last contest before the Pennsylvania primary in six weeks.

Clinton and her husband, the former president, recently suggested that a Clinton-Obama ticket would be popular and formidable against Republican Sen. John McCain in November.

"A lot of Democrats like us both and have been very hopeful that they wouldn't have to make a choice but obviously Democrats have to make a choice and I'm looking forward to getting the nomination," Clinton said Monday in Scranton, Pa. "And it's preliminary to talk about whoever might be on whose ticket."

Many political activists discounted the notion all along.

They noted that the two senators lack a warm relationship and, more important, that Obama would be ill-served by hinting he might accept the vice presidential slot when he holds the lead in delegates and hopes to win the presidential nomination.

In the latest Associated Press count, Obama leads Clinton, 1,579-1,473. He has won 28 contests to her 17.

Moreover, many insiders feel the ambitious and fast-rising Obama would chafe in the vice president's job, especially in a White House where Bill Clinton would almost surely play a huge advisory role.

Still, the notion of a Clinton-Obama ticket has received ample discussion in recent days on cable TV news shows and newspapers such as New York City's tabloids.

Of course, his comments Monday will not completely end the speculation.

Presidential candidates routinely disavow any interest in the vice presidential spot.

But some, including John Edwards and Al Gore, change their minds when they fall short of their top goal.

At a rally before nearly 9,000 people in Jackson late Monday, Obama painted Clinton as a part of the Washington establishment whose time has come and gone.

The nation does not need "the same old folks doing the same old things, talking the same old stuff," he said, essentially lumping Clinton with President Bush and McCain.

He accused Clinton's campaign of leaking a photograph of him wearing traditional African garments, including a turban, during a visit to Africa.

That was "straight out of the Republican play book," Obama said. "That's not real change."

Clinton has said she is not aware of anyone on her staff leaking the photo.

Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.

26-21
    ROTH ARMY ELITE

Member No
    Last Online
    10-07-2020 @ 08:27 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I can't believe she won Ohio.

My "spider senses" tell me she gets her ass kicked opposite
    Obama in a general election.

Thread Information