• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cadaverdog
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    • Aug 2007

There was A Star Trek movie were they found some alien
    that said humans came to earth from a dying planet and
    to make sure they stayed in line religion was invented.

Sounds a lot more feasible than the Scientology story
    told on this thread.
    Beware of Dog

Comment

• Little Texan
      Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by DeadOrAlive
      The world would be a much better place without stereotypes or assumptions.
      I believe the world would be a much better place without religion. Think about it: alot of the violence and conflict in this world stems from people of one religious mindset clashing with people with a different ideology. Throughout recorded history, people have killed and committed all sorts of attrocities in the name of their respective gods. More wars have been waged in the name of religion than any other cause. Eliminate all of the world's religions, and you'll eliminate a great percentage of the world's violence, IMHO.

Comment

• cadaverdog
        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
        • Aug 2007

Originally posted by Little Texan
        I believe the world would be a much better place without religion. Think about it: alot of the violence and conflict in this world stems from people of one religious mindset clashing with people with a different ideology. Throughout recorded history, people have killed and committed all sorts of attrocities in the name of their respective gods. More wars have been waged in the name of religion than any other cause. Eliminate all of the world's religions, and you'll eliminate a great percentage of the world's violence, IMHO.

The American revolution , the war of 1812 , the civil war ,
        ww1 , ww2 , Korea , Viet Nam , the gulf war , even the
        current bullshit not about religion.
        The gulf war was about land , Iraq invading Kuwait.
        And the current bullshit , oil , revenge , whatever excuses
        that were used or whatever theories you believe , I don't
        think religion is/was involved .

Religion is used as an excuse for terrorism but the responce
        is based on criminality not religion.

When was the last war based on religion?
        Beware of Dog

Comment

• DeadOrAlive
          Veteran
          • Jul 2004

Originally posted by LoungeMachine
          You mean like "all Muslims are terrorists or extremists"??

Yeah.

I never intended that... (What a suprise.)

Or possibly... "All catholic priests are child molesters."

Comment

• DeadOrAlive
            Veteran
            • Jul 2004

True, but you do have to look at the good sides of religions. A good majority of religions set up morals where one should not kill or harm another... and it does sink into society. I completely understand all the killings throughout time, from before commen era to the medievil times and even in today's world. But you also have to equate the morals instilled.

Nothing's perfect, and there's always a few flaws here and there.

Comment

• bueno bob
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Jul 2004

I believe the world would be a much better place without religion. Think about it: alot of the violence and conflict in this world stems from people of one religious mindset clashing with people with a different ideology.
              I disagree. I think most violence and conflict in the world revolves around economy, land and the desire for natural resources (or all three). Religion is just a catalyst for political leaders desiring war to bring people to arms...Bush has used it, Hussein used it, Bin Laden uses it, etc etc..."We have a holy right to what we want!" and all...there'd be just as much violence and conflict in the world today as there would be without it.

Personal opinion, but mankind is violent by nature anyway, and an overnight lack of any religion wouldn't do anything to bring humanity any closer to world peace. Some people believe that if religion vanished overnight, there'd be no more war or violence or whatever...my opinion, but I think that displays a willfull ignorance of the history of human nature and armed conflict, and the causes and effects of it.

When you stop to consider that there hasn't been an actual religious crusade of any note on a global level at all in at least hundreds of years (or perhaps even longer than that, depending), I would think that would be self evident.

Religion is a motivational tool that corrupt leaders use for their own personal gain, and that's probably been going on since the Jewish canon was set (if not before), regardless of when the Masoretic text was recognized (and there's more than enough room to argue when and where that actually happened)...

Meh. I hate arguing religion.

Twistin' by the pool.

Comment

Working...