your mother's boyfriend
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    11-25-2012 @ 11:38 AM
    Status
    Thanks

LA amp tech shout out.

Here's a story of an amp tech that went the extra mile to help me.

As I mentioned in the "Are you in a band" thread I was in one that tours without many nights off. We did 45 shows in 47 days last summer, and yes, it was brutal. So, it's May 24th, and we're in Austin TX, playing at the Red 7 I believe, and I'm out in the van hanging out with some folks I know down there when Merle comes out and tells me that the opening band blew a guitar head and they want to use mine. Ok I say and go in to help them out. When I get in there, they already have my head (an 83 JCM800 100w) out of the case and are dumbfounded as to why they can't make it work. Turns out they had yet to plug it into the cab (oh yes, they plugged it in, turned it on, and were fucking around with every fucking knob on the face without having put a load on the transformer). Despite being pissed that they just grabbed it without me I hooked it up to the cab for them (a cab that they had no idea what the ohms load was btw), told them what they had done wrong (to a blank stared response), and let them go on with their show.

When our turn came I set up my rig and began to play. 3 Songs in the amp crapped out, and I had to borrow another (some solid state Crate with about 25 numbers and letters in the title, complete with useless onboard effects and shitty tone) to finish the set. Needless to say I was a little disappointed about the situation. I knew it would cost me some cash which is not too bountiful on the road, and some time of which I had even less of than money right then and there. Also, my next day off was June 2nd, a Sunday in LA with San Marcos, Dallas, OK City, Lubbock, Tuscon, San Diego, and Anaheim still to go.
    The next day the band was going to a BBQ as the next night's gig was a short drive, so I found a Guitar Center and got a new set of 4 EL 34's, installed them and got no response. My fears were realized, the output transformer was shot, and it was gonna be costly. I actually made some calls in Austin, being that it is known as a music city, but anywhere I found to even be open was gonna be REAL costly, so I decided to save up the cash from the next week of gigs and suck it up till I got to LA. I played many shitty amps that week people, as we normally had the worst punk bands in the world as our opening acts.

Sunday came and I found myself in the gigantic GC on Sunset asking the emo looking dude at the counter if he knew ANYBODY who could help me with my situation. Surprisingly, in contrast to every other GC employee I've ever talked to, this guy was actually knowledgeable and gave me a number to call.

The dude I talked to was not only cool, not only willing to do the work on a Sunday, but given the fact that I didn't know my way around Los Angeles he actually came down and picked up my amp right there at the store. He had it overnight, replaced the transformer and a couple blown caps and or resistors and didn't gouge me on the price. All in all it cost me around $350 not counting the cost of the new tubes I bought in TX, and I was up and running again. The thing even sounded better than before.

Thanks you to Greg Leon of Greg's Amp Repair ! You saved my ass and didn't rip me off when you had a perfect opportunity.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Fretting Machine
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-19-2021 @ 04:00 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Hell yeah...
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-12-2014 @ 11:20 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,202 Times in 757 Posts

I applaud your restraint at the warm up band .
    Glad it worked out ok

Banned
    132dB's At Your Service

Member No
    Last Online
    05-21-2013 @ 07:57 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Nobody monkeyfists with my gear but me or a tech, I'd have had a conniferous fit.

Thread Information