X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Diamondjimi
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • May 2004

Originally posted by GAR
    Weve gone over this before, I don't post pix. I think I posted my cat a couple times before, or some of my cabinets I had been restoring before getting ripped off in 2003 but I've only recently had the heart to resume horsetrading to build up my gear again. Since everything is still in storage, I have nothing setup but maybe this year I'll post gear pix.

I don't need a mountain of gear, but as far as pedals go I keep a trunk for them to roll around in.

I like a wah with just a halfstack or combo, but I have used phasers delays and all the fancy stuff before.

I talk alot to share alot, but am pretty set against seeing digital effects stuff residing on a player's boardbecause of the A-D conversion frequency loss. I am not against Rocktron or Line 6 or Alesis or Johnson or what have you who make these things.

Now when it comes to time-delay based effects which are phasors, flangers, choruses and delays, there are different reasons I can elaborate upon to explay "why" so here's my reasons:

Echoplex and tape-based delays: I like these best because its the best and most natural way to add compression to your sound via tape saturation while setting the record head bias pretty hot. I had a Guild Copicat and stock, it was alright and basic and fairly transparent sonically except the tape-drive capstan rollers were inferior and being it was a tape loop that broke constantly at the splice area, you either became creative at making replacment loops or you grew up and spent the dough on the Maestro EP-3 solidstate echoplex which was bulletproof so long as the 5 minute cartridge loop lasted.

Signal loss is a great concern to me, and tape based delays have the best compromise to me: they go down to 30 hz up to about 6,000 hz which is a comfortable range for reproducing most of the guitar string sounds.

Next, the "analogue" effects, usually based on bucket-brigade transistor arrays in a large chip called a BBD: these chips are what begat the CCD chips in digital cameras - made up of thousands of tiny capacitor section etched on silicon, they charge up then discharge like little batteries. That's all they do. It's archaic technology, but it's very warm sounding and retains almost ALL your low bass frequencies - but they're noisey as FUCK! That's alot of microscopic discharging going on inside all the time, and the workaround to it is reducing the high-end response.

It's the ONLY way. Enjoy a BBD pedal, but sacrifice your highs to retain your lowend.

I like chorus, delay and especially flanger-based BBD pedals because they are unusually warm and saturate just a little bit in the midrange with an enhanced lowend response. But because these BBD chips are noisey, they're often incorporated with circuit filtration and noise companders which limit the high-end range to 2K or 3K hz.

The cheap BBD "analogue" pedals have a shitty response barely reaching 2K in some manufacture - but people don't notice the high losses because they'll kick it on and hear the effect over the loss of hi's and don't care.

I like digital delays, basically for this reason: less highs filtered out, less inherent hiss and noise such as the BBD pedals give off, and enhanced highs because the frequency range is usually 300 to about 15,000 hz.

Yes, 15K is really really good, especially for the clean channel shit in 80's-90's English butt-ramming music like Johnny Marr's effects - he kicks ass with simple clean channel echos' and sometimes it's a headscratcher just listening to it trying to figure out how he's getting that sound in his echos and choruses: well, the choruses is BBD based yet the echos are digital delays. So he probably runs a JC120 amp with the digital delay rack effect via the effects loop panel input, placing the digital after the analogue.

Lastly, in order of desirability for me would be the Pod shit: digital multi effects either pedal or rack or software.

the Multi's are based on a processor called an FPGA=field programmable gate array, which is like a lattice network of switches controlled by software after your guitar signal has been converted to digital.

The'res so much loss to the low end, it doesn't make sense to me to use. I have never used one, tried them all out and they're like toys.

"Well you talk so much shit how do you like them if you hate them" well it's easy - I have always promoted the Pods as great scratch-pads and songwriting tools.. they replace the pedalboard, but should not reside on the pedal board.

Pods should reside by the computer: you use them to record a song idea to help you in handing off a newly burned copy for your drummer to jam to. But they shouldn't be used as final-copy tone machines, ever.

The same layman's arguement I feel against the digital multi-effects equivalent holds true to the FLAC promoters who favor lossless recording. Since ultimately as music gets recorded, I feel strongly that Pod-type pedals should not be used in the final but accept them in the jamming or demoing stages.

I saw a clip on Youtube where Kirk Hammet was backstage talking about his gear, and he gives the guy (guitar world? maybe?) a full showcase of his guitars, backline and his pedalboard setup. And on his pedalboards was one of those Rocktron digital multi's.. I laughed!

With his kind of money he could afford either a quad-snake running two-way to and from a rackmount of real pedals, or a larger roadcase to have his pedals up front with him but no he has the digital pedal upfront with him.

I thought, no wonder I never liked his sound.
    In storage?!

Why , do you live in a van or something?

Why don't you post pix?
    Trolls take heed...LOG OUT & FUCK OFF!!!

Comment

• GAR
      Banned
      • Jan 2004

Um, I travel? Alot?

Comment

• jhale667
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Diamondjimi
        In storage?!

Why , do you live in a van or something?

By THE RIVER...

Originally posted by conmee
        If anyone even thinks about deleting the Muff Thread they are banned.... no questions asked.

That is all.

Icon.
        Originally posted by GO-SPURS-GO
        I've seen prominent hypocrite liberal on this site Jhale667

Originally posted by Isaac R.
        Then it's really true??:eek:

The Muff Thread is really just GONE ???

OMFG...who in their right mind...???
        Originally posted by eddie78
        I was wrong about you, brother. You're good.

Comment

• kentuckyklira
          Veteran
          • Sep 2004

http://images.zeit.de/gesellschaft/z...ie-540x304.jpg

Comment

• jhale667
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Aug 2004

OK, between the MXR Carbon Copy and the Eventide Harmonizer pedal, I AM going to have to expand my board upon acquiring them...I've still got two available power outs on my Pedal Power II, but no more room on the board itself...lol

Originally posted by conmee
            If anyone even thinks about deleting the Muff Thread they are banned.... no questions asked.

That is all.

Icon.
            I've seen prominent hypocrite liberal on this site Jhale667

Originally posted by Isaac R.
            Then it's really true??:eek:

The Muff Thread is really just GONE ???

OMFG...who in their right mind...???
            Originally posted by eddie78
            I was wrong about you, brother. You're good.

Comment

• Diamondjimi
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • May 2004

Originally posted by kentuckyklira
              Never big on ART products. Found them noisey and unreliable...JMO
              Trolls take heed...LOG OUT & FUCK OFF!!!

Comment

• GO-SPURS-GO
                Sniper
                • Feb 2007

Luckily, bass players don’t need all that crap to sound good. :tongue0011: So instead of having a ton of pedals to mask your lazy playing, we bass players are team players so I made this pedal board to make the BAND look good.
                https://www.facebook.com/warren.hammonds.58
                http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...bandID=1001063

Comment

• Nitro Express
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Reverberator
                  I have no big pedal board anymore , got an old Boss Distortion and a new metal zone left.

I now use a Digitech gnx4 for everything.
                  I actually hate peddles. They are just a pain. Sometimes I will use a Fuzzface with my Strat or a overdrive peddle. Other than a phaser, flanger, and a big of delay, I don't use much more than that.
                  No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Nitro Express
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Aug 2004

Luckily, bass players don’t need all that crap to sound good. :tongue0011: So instead of having a ton of pedals to mask your lazy playing, we bass players are team players so I made this pedal board to make the BAND look good.
                    I actually took over bass duty and when I went back to guitar I thought,"Why do I have all this shit in my signal chain?" I will still maintain playing bass makes you a better guitar player. Nobody notices the bass player until you make a mistake and it's booming out for all to hear. Not much to hide behind with a bass pumping out massive amounts of air pressure.
                    No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• At0micPunk
                      Full On Cocktard
                      • Apr 2009

Pedal Pad AXS II
                      Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2 Plus
                      EVH Flanger, EVH Phaser, EVH Wah, Vox V847 Wah, Hardwire RV-7 Stereo Reverb, MXR Chorus, MXR Carbon Copy delay, Korg Pitchblack tuner.
                      Lava and Live Wire Cables.

The delay and reverb run through the loop.
                      Everything else runs in direct.

A great dude(JediMcfly) at another VH site offered a lot of help and suggested the Pedal Pad amongst a lot of other things. I'm very happy with the pedal pad board. It's easily transportable, locks up nice and built very solid. A great way to go.

Comment

• Fuct Jup
                        Head Fluffer
                        • Nov 2006

Here's my stuff, not on a board but it s what I use.

Line6 Floor Pod
                        MXR EVH-117 Flanger
                        Fulltone OCD Obsessive Compulsive Drive Overdrive
                        Anything left in that bottle?

Comment

• houseofpain
                          Head Fluffer
                          • Feb 2005

My pedal board is pretty simple, no pics though.
                          I have in no particular order here. Dunlap Hendrix Wah, Marshall Jackhammer Distortion, Marshall The Guv'Nor II Distortion, Boss Super Overdrive with Rich Franklin Mod (favorite pedal), Boss Super Strereo Chorus, Boss - Super Fuzz (good Sabbath and Neil Young Fuzz sound), Boss EQ, and for when I plug into a PA instead of amp I have the 1995 Digitech RP-1 (the original and pretty damn good) or a Digitech RP-80. I really like the RP 80 through a PA. I can have a Marshall, A Twin Reverb, a Mesa Boogie, an Orange, a Bad Cat, I can set the expression pedal for Wah (customize the toe and heel and 3 differet Wahs) volume or distortion level. I can custom my EQ, which is usually like Bass cranked, Mid completely to partially scooped, and Treble around 6 or 7. Plus it can run a ton of modulations flange, phaser, chorus, tremolo, rotary, and some other funky one's I don't mess with. My favorite though is I can set a harmonizer or I can use it like an octave pedal. A lot of times at church, I change to acoustic, and set it octave 1 up, and I now have a twelve string acoustic coming from my Les Paul.
                          EAT US AND SMILE!
                          LOOK WHO'S BACK IN CIRCULATION!
                          DAMAGE INC!

Comment

• BlimpyCHIMP™
                            Banned
                            • May 2004

If you get invited just to drive over and jam, which 2 or 3 pedals is yer choice?

Comment

• houseofpain
                              Head Fluffer
                              • Feb 2005

Boss Super Overdrive with the Franklin Mod
                              Marshall Jackhammer
                              EAT US AND SMILE!
                              DAMAGE INC!

Comment

• houseofpain
                                Head Fluffer
                                • Feb 2005

and probably either the chorus or the fuzz. I can do a lot of stuff with the chorus pedal...
                                EAT US AND SMILE!
                                DAMAGE INC!

Comment

Working...