Thread: Dear President Obama": The President Reads 10 Letters a Day from the Public

Skills That Thrill
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    11-15-2023 @ 08:25 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries

Dear President Obama": The President Reads 10 Letters a Day from the Public

http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpu...president.html

Dear President Obama": The President Reads 10 Letters a Day from the Public, With Policy Ramifications
    February 23, 2009 7:15 AM
    <!-- Stephen Splane
    -->The letter to President Obama came from a woman in Arizona whose husband lost his job. He was able to find work, but the new gig came with one-third the pay; the family is struggling to make their mortgage payments.
    The letter from the Arizona woman illustrated a policy conundrum, recalled senior adviser David Axelrod. President Obama read it, and absorbed the lesson.
    "She said they had made all their mortgage payments, but were running out of money," Axelrod said. "And they were told they could not renegotiate unless they were delinquent in their payments."
    Before President Obama's housing speech last week, he'd made copies of his letter and "sent it to his financial team and said, 'This is the kind of person our housing plan should help," Axelrod recalled.
    The president had other copies made of that letter. He had it distributed to staff on Air Force One.
    "He had been struck by how powerful the story was," White House press secretary Robert Gibbs said. "He wanted us as we were creating policy to make sure that we were listening and hearing these examples as well."
    Every day President Barack Obama is handed a special purple folder. The folder contains ten letters, and every day President Obama takes time to read them.
    Are they from world leaders? From members of the Joint Chiefs of Staff? Members of the intelligence community?
    No, these letters have been culled from the thousands the White House Correspondence Office receives each day from Americans who have taken the time to sit down and write to their president.
    "They help him focus on the real problems people are facing," says Axelrod. "He really a absorbs these letters, and often shares then with us."
    In his first week in office, President Obama requested that he see 10 letters a day "representative of people's concerns, from people writing into the president," recalls Gibbs, "to help get him outside of the bubble, to get more than just the information you get as an elected official."
    Says Axelrod, "he did it because his greatest concern is getting isolated in the White House, away from the experiences of the American people...The letters impact him greatly."
    Some recent examples, according to aides, include a letter from a businessman who owns a manufacturing company and says he finds it very difficult to lay off employees who have done nothing wrong. If things don't improve, the correspondent wrote, he'll have to lay off 10% of his workforce.
    Another letter came from a divorced senior citizen raising a grandchild on a fixed income, including Social Security. She confessed to being depressed and scared.
    A third came from a realtor who urged the president to do something about the large number of foreclosed properties. A fourth was a plea for help from an unemployed truck driver.
    Monday through Friday the head of White House Correspondence delivers ten letters to be read by the President, choosing among letters that are broadly representative of the day’s news and issues; ones that are broadly representative of President’s intake of current mail, phone calls to the comment line, and faxes from citizens; and messages that are particularly compelling.
    Some of these, maybe two or three each day, the President responds to in his own hand.
    Gibbs says that before two different economic speeches, the President "pulled letters he has gotten and distributed them to staff, to understand what people were going through."
    The vast majority of the calls coming into the White House, and over a third of the faxes have been on the stimulus package and the economy, so up to half of the letters the President sees are on that broad subject. Aides say that many of these correspondents also have other complications: bankruptcy due to health care, lost job, lost opportunities for their children.
    A smaller number of the letters address other issues, such as the environment, health care, education, foreign affairs, or nuclear proliferation.
    And a handful, usually no more than five a week, are from people who have a simple supportive message or inspirational story to tell.
    The head of correspondence also includes letters to the President from smaller children who ask questions or give advice.
    Sometimes the letters are include in the president's overnight briefing book.
    As the President addresses the immense issues the nation and world face -- today the President will announce he's appointing an inspector general to head the transparency and accountability board to supervise the stimulus spending, and will host an fiscal responsibly summit; Tuesday he will address the economy before a joint sessions of Congress; Thursday he will present his budget -- the President's aides say these letters help the president stay in touch with real people and ignore the chatter here inside the DC bubble.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Banned
    132dB's At Your Service

Member No
    Last Online
    05-21-2013 @ 07:57 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    No, these letters have been culled from the thousands the White House Correspondence Office receives each day from Americans who have taken the time to sit down and write to their president.
    "They help him focus on the real problems people are facing," says Axelrod. "He really a absorbs these letters, and often shares then with us."

Wow, he's really concerned. He shares upon the letters they already know about because they filtered these 10 out of 2000 - which they probably have already circulated via email to each other in briefs of what Barry's going to read when he puts his Dear Abby hat on while the nation goes bankrupt to the bankers its' supposed to be helping.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:07 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,399 Times in 6,055 Posts

By this point in his presidency Bush had started his first vacation.

4. Thanked Seshmeister for this KICKASS post:

LoungeMachine (02-24-2009)

General Secretaty
    Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-29-2024 @ 10:47 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Banned
    132dB's At Your Service

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    "Dear Barry,

Read us too! Read us too!

Sincerely,
    The 1,990 other Letters Left Behind"

Banned
    132dB's At Your Service

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    If I was President I'd be lighting my cigars with the pleas of the People, and berating my staff with such slurs as "if I have to deal with this bullshit, you're not doing your job!"

This guy is now the head of a 4 trillion GDP economy, and he's wasting time reading letters while the banks are bleeding the taxpayer come on! I think there's other issues at hand greater than Axelrod's desire to protray Barry as a Pen Pal to the People.

Fuck this. I heard about it last week and knew it was bullshit the minute it came on the radio..

Running with myself
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    06-13-2016 @ 11:12 AM
    Status
    Thanks

At least this President can read.

Builder of Sites
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    02-08-2016 @ 02:28 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,705 Times in 2,513 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GAR View Post
    If I was President ..

omg.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:07 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,399 Times in 6,055 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LoungeMachine View Post

omg.
    How can you post that after 8 years of Bush?

Builder of Sites
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    How can you post that after 8 years of Bush?
    I'd take another 8 years of Bush, before I'd accept 8 minutes of Gar as POTUS

Banned
    132dB's At Your Service

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LoungeMachine View Post
    I'd take another 8 years of Bush, before I'd accept 8 minutes of Gar as POTUS

Yeah, if the public is stupid enough to let Obama in, I'd be wise to get my own hat in the ring.

You could run against me if you wanted to lose, and stuff..
    Last edited by GAR; 02-24-2009 at 05:39 PM.

Builder of Sites
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

.. and after 40 days of Barry?
    Again, you follow me from thread to thread, and respond to my every post, yet claim you want me on IGNORE.

Builder of Sites
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Why the sudden edit, GayR?

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:54 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,580 Times in 3,459 Posts

Yeah, if the public is stupid enough to let Obama in, I'd be wise to get my own hat in the ring.

You could run against me if you wanted to lose, and stuff..
    Then the Mexicans can't steal your job - although you might find a way!

The Menace Is Loose Again
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-08-2015 @ 12:58 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,934 Times in 1,875 Posts

I have always wanted the President to review one case a day for a pardon, clemency or commutation. Obviously after it had been thoroughly reviewed and ready for a final decision. I don't like the idea that people who should not be in prison must wait until the Presidents last day in office. I understand the guy only has so many minutes a day and everyone with a cause wants a piece of that. But I think people behind bars that don't belong is kinda important.

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-01-2017 @ 12:20 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,052 Times in 2,583 Posts

Question

This seems like a fairly inspired idea. I mean consider if a person were to offer, say...73 posts in a twenty-four hour period. Short of suffering the mind-numbing idiocy offered in each and every one of them, if a situation was created that you could acknowledge (or not) a percentage of them, would you yourself not welcome it?

Running with myself
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    06-13-2016 @ 11:12 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Only thing worse than pResident GAR....... first lady JizzyStool :eek:

The true JBC
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    11-14-2018 @ 03:27 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,298 Times in 1,690 Posts

So some of you dumb fucks here have a problem that a President actually reads some of the letters that the American public send him.........and your issue is what? Other than no matter what this guy does, because he's black, you have a problem with it.......The first President in a long time that goes out and interacts with the public, goes to different states to listen to what the people of this country have to say and now.......The SOB is reading letters from.......of all people........the American public!

Sesh said in post #3 of this thread.......
    By this point in his presidency Bush had started his first vacation.
    Pretty much sums of the difference between a President that actually gives a fuck and your Neo-Con bullshit fuck.

Thread Information