DG's Slave
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    09-18-2010 @ 02:14 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Both funny and pathetic

Today, two of our local rock stations had big "Van Halen" concert ticket giveaways. The idea was on both stations (one classic rock and one a hard rock station) to play multiple blocks of Van Halen and then give a certain numbered caller free tix yaada, yaada. Anyway, we're still trying to find shit in my office cos we just demolished and remodeled the whole thing this month. It's all since put back together but I've gone in the past couple of Saturday afternoons to organize my office and not be bothered. So, I flipped the two stations back and fourth while going through stacks of boxes, files and shit.

Back to the story, BOTH FUCKING STATIONS played NOTHING but classic VH. I heard "Why Can't This Be Dave" and "Dreams" from Hagar in a course of four hours. Thank the good lord. Anyway, I heard four callers win tickets. Three of them were stoked even though one of the three didn't even know they were touring let alone coming here? However, the fourth caller made my afternoon.

The DJ informed him that he's won tickets to the upcoming show. The winner was very subdued and just said "thanks." The DJ said "Well, don't sound so exited about it?!?!?" The winner (in a Comedian Steven Wright sort of voice) replied, "I thought it was the REAL VAN HALEN, since that's what you've been playing all day long." LMAO!!! The DJ was also an obvious Rothfan as well and replied "Well we don't have much Halen with Hagar on our playlist and I hear ya man but try to enjoy the show anyway?" Then they proceeded to go into another Van Halen Concert Giveaway Three Song Super Set which consisted of "Dancing In The Streets," "Dance The Night Away" and "I'll Wait."

It's pathetic that people who aren't in the online fold still don't understand what they are buying? That poor bastard who won tickets today thought the tour was with Roth until the station told him otherwise. No wonder their is ZERO promotion from that Irving Azoff guy? He's a smart businessman. Sell as many tickets as possible, advertise it as Van Halen (Not Hagar) and you'll sell a bit more tix with no media hype. Anyway, it made my shitty afternoon plus I heard almost nothing but Halen on the radio.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

ROTH KILL!
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-17-2021 @ 08:52 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by MAX
    It's pathetic that people who aren't in the online fold still don't understand what they are buying? That poor bastard who won tickets today thought the tour was with Roth until the station told him otherwise. No wonder their is ZERO promotion from that Irving Azoff guy? He's a smart businessman. Sell as many tickets as possible, advertise it as Van Halen (Not Hagar) and you'll sell a bit more tix with no media hype. Anyway, it made my shitty afternoon plus I heard almost nothing but Halen on the radio.
    But it's gonna be fuckin hilarious once those fans realize Dave ain't there and start throwing whatever they can at the band!
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-01-2014 @ 09:03 AM
    Status
    Thanks

I raised this question very early on in the piece. What if, due to the promotions, people are actually buying tickets because they thought it
    is the real deal. A few Spamsters jumped in and told me how stupid I
    was and how could anyone possibly make that mistake...

I think you are really onto something there MAX, it would be the promoters decision what material they use for promotion, and they are using Dave's !!!! I feel really sorry for those fans that have bought tickets expecting to hear Dave and all those songs used in the advertising.

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-03-2020 @ 02:47 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Re: Both funny and pathetic

Originally posted by MAX
    The DJ informed him that he's won tickets to the upcoming show. The winner was very subdued and just said "thanks." The DJ said "Well, don't sound so exited about it?!?!?" The winner (in a Comedian Steven Wright sort of voice) replied, "I thought it was the REAL VAN HALEN, since that's what you've been playing all day long." LMAO!!!
    That just confuses the hell out of me.

Rotharmy Gladiator

DG's Slave
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Stoffa,

Listener calls station to win free VH tickets.

Listener becomes a winner of said tickets.

Listener finds out that this is not a real VH reuinion.

Listener goes on air live with DJ.

Listener/winner is upset that it isn't really Van Halen Tickets.

DJ agrees but has to promote it anyway.

DJ plays real VH and the scam continues until the next winner calls.

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-03-2020 @ 02:47 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Thanks, but it wasn't the "exchange" that confused me. I started wondering if the "winner" was a "mark" for the spot, or if it was living in some canyon hostel where all they can have is a radio. Like, being cut off from current events but being able to use the telephone at the office or some shit.

Rotharmy Gladiator

DG's Slave
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by Panamark
    I think you are really onto something there MAX, it would be the promoters decision what material they use for promotion, and they are using Dave's !!!! I feel really sorry for those fans that have bought tickets expecting to hear Dave and all those songs used in the advertising.
    I knew you'd get me mate. The Oz dudes are smarter than everyone. This entire show is being promoted by Classic VH. It is due to the fact that the only Van Hagar songs in rotation in my small town are:

Why Can't this be Love, Dreams, Love Walks In, When It's Love, Finish What You Started and Right Now. Conformed my my dear friend who is a VP at an alternative rock station. He knows the "LIST" by heart. However, you NEVER hear ANY of those songs on the radio?
    Last edited by MAX; 05-23-2004 at 02:25 AM.

Rotharmy Gladiator

DG's Slave
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by rustoffa
    Thanks, but it wasn't the "exchange" that confused me. I started wondering if the "winner" was a "mark" for the spot, or if it was living in some canyon hostel where all they can have is a radio. Like, being cut off from current events but being able to use the telephone at the office or some shit.
    No, the guy was clearly in shock that this was a Hagar reunion. You see, the concert is only promoted here via Classic VH songs. They played all day long and the guy was seriously bummed out.

BTW. There is already talk on the radio of moving Van Hagar from the Delta Center to The E Center which is our hockey place. It seats 10,000 and under.

Rotharmy Gladiator

DG's Slave
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

*Fucked up my edit and double posted*

Sorry wankas!!!!

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-01-2014 @ 09:03 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by MAX
    No, the guy was clearly in shock that this was a Hagar reunion. You see, the concert is only promoted here via Classic VH songs. They played all day long and the guy was seriously bummed out.

BTW. There is already talk on the radio of moving Van Hagar from the Delta Center to The E Center which is our hockey place. It seats 10,000 and under.
    Apparently they had to do a similar thing with the Brisbane Gay
    Cherone show in Oz at the time. They didnt sell even 50% of the
    tickets they expected to, so they actually converted the centre to a reduced seat capacity. They close and partition off the extra sections.
    From the bloke I was talking to, (who was there) even in reduced mode it was only 3/4 full.

Dumpwaffen SS
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-25-2024 @ 06:36 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Those few Hagar-fans in the audience are gonna get MUGGED!!!

Thread Information