Today @ 12:06 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,285 Times in 4,714 Posts

Piyush "Bobby" Jindal: Another false "Christian" liar and hypocrite

Jindal Admits Katrina Story Was False
    By Zachary Roth - February 27, 2009, 12:39PM

Looks like the game is up.

Remember that story Bobby Jindal told in his big speech Tuesday night -- about how during Katrina, he stood shoulder-to-shoulder with a local sheriff who was battling government red tape to try to rescue stranded victims?

Turns out it wasn't actually, you know, true.

In the last few days, first Daily Kos, and then TPMmuckraker, raised serious questions about the story, based in part on the fact that no news reports we could find place Jindal in the affected area at the specific time at issue.

Jindal had described being in the office of Sheriff Harry Lee "during Katrina," and hearing him yelling into the phone at a government bureaucrat who was refusing to let him send volunteer boats out to rescue stranded storm victims, because they didn't have the necessary permits. Jindal said he told Lee, "that's ridiculous," prompting Lee to tell the bureaucrat that the rescue effort would go ahead and he or she could arrest both Lee and Jindal.

But now, a Jindal spokeswoman has admitted to Politico that in reality, Jindal overheard Lee talking about the episode to someone else by phone "days later." The spokeswoman said she thought Lee, who died in 2007, was being interviewed about the incident at the time.

This is no minor difference. Jindal's presence in Lee's office during the crisis itself was a key element of the story's intended appeal, putting him at the center of the action during the maelstrom. Just as important, Jindal implied that his support for the sheriff helped ensure the rescue went ahead. But it turns out Jindal wasn't there at the key moment, and played no role in making the rescue happen.

There's a larger point here, though. The central anecdote of the GOP's prime-time response to President Obama's speech, intended to illustrate the threat of excessive government regulation, turns out to have been made up.

Maybe it's time to rethink the premise?

Late Update: Politico's Ben Smith has updated his post with the following:

UPDATE: I'd initially misunderstood Sellers to be saying Jindal and Lee didn't meet while rescue efforts were still underway. In fact, she said, the conversation took place in the aftermath of the storm, but after the boat incident.

"Bobby and I walked into harry lee's office - he's yelling on the phone about a decision he's already made," Jindal chief of staff Timmy Teepell recalled. "He's saying this is a decision I made, and if you don't like it you can come and arrest me."

Teepell said the exchange took place in the week following Katrina, when Jindal visited Jefferson Parish multiple times.

"He was boots on the ground all the time," he said.

This doesn't seem to bear on the key question. As we said, the key elements of Jindal's story were that he was in Lee's office during the crisis itself, and that his support for the sheriff helped ensure the rescue went ahead. Neither of those things was true, it now seems.

Link
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

2. Thanked FORD for this KICKASS post:

jhale667 (03-01-2009)

Foot Soldier

Member No
    Last Online
    12-22-2014 @ 08:33 PM
    Status
    Thanks

A politician actually making stuff up....Stretching the truth? Who could have guessed?

Thank God it's only the Christians who are hypocrites, or we'd all be in big trouble.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

4. Thanked Combat Ready for this KICKASS post:

Seshmeister (02-27-2009)

The Menace Is Loose Again
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-08-2015 @ 12:58 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,934 Times in 1,875 Posts

Reminds me of Hillary dodging enemy fire exiting her aircraft. I don't know how any politician can think they can make up a story without someone somewhere uncovering it.

6. Thanked sadaist for this KICKASS post:

Seshmeister (02-27-2009)

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Combat Ready View Post

Thank God it's only the Christians who are hypocrites, or we'd all be in big trouble.
    Oh, I wouldn't say that. Joe Lieberman is a hypocrite. So is Richard "Hell no I'm not a neocon or the architect of the Iraq war, even though my signature is on all the PNAC documents" Perle. And they aren't "Christians".

The Menace Is Loose Again
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-08-2015 @ 12:58 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,934 Times in 1,875 Posts

This story doesn't make Jindal a hypocrite, it just makes him a liar. Now if he attacks or has attacked another person for embellishing or making up a story, now we've got something.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:05 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,565 Times in 3,450 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sadaist View Post
    Reminds me of Hillary dodging enemy fire exiting her aircraft. I don't know how any politician can think they can make up a story without someone somewhere uncovering it.
    I'd say it is worse though. Firstly, Hillary was actually where she said she was while "dodging sniper fire." And secondly she wasn't making some big, bullshit nonexistent ideological point.

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    11-04-2021 @ 07:27 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,233 Times in 2,449 Posts

Blog Entries
    Yeah, I already knew about this as it immediately made the local news...

I've also read where he said Catholicism is the only true Church or religion...

I dunno whats going on...I had high hopes for the Governor...

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    AND...during his run down here he made the rounds to all the non-demoninational churches (including ours) and made it sound like he was one of us, never once mentioning Catholicism...

My friends at church still have a hard time believing that when I explain it...

He even wrote a thesis on the subject during his last year at LSU, I think it was...

Having said that, he really is a very nice, very smart and genuinely likable guy...

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Catholics have always officially believed that they were the "only true church" because they believe it was the same church that JC himself established and handed off to Peter.

Of course that's not historically true, because the original church was an entirely Jewish congregation, and they didn't include Gentiles until Paul stopped throwing rocks at Christians and decided to start his own franchise.

And even Paul's version was mutated considerably when Constantine merged the church with the Roman empire (hence the term "Roman Catholic".)

Truth is, the TRUE church of Jesus Christ probably died off with the last of the apostles. Everything since then has been a pale imitation. I don't buy into Mormonism myself, but if God ever did have a personal conversation with Joseph Smith, then the statement that "all churches had become corrupt" would have been accurate enough. Unfortunately Joe took that and ran with it, creating yet another corrupt church.

As I've said several times on this board (and as our Lord and Savior Himself has said here) if you call yourself a Christian, live by the teachings of Jesus Christ, and not the (usually right wing) man made bullshit.

And I have my doubts that Piyush Jindal does that. Not to bring this back on topic or anything.

Foot Soldier

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FORD View Post

As I've said several times on this board (and as our Lord and Savior Himself has said here) if you call yourself a Christian, live by the teachings of Jesus Christ, and not the (usually right wing) man made bullshit.

And I have my doubts that Piyush Jindal does that. Not to bring this back on topic or anything.
    Right wing....Left wing are both guilty of the man made bullshit---so, you're half right I guess.

Plenty of examples on the left but that's another thread altogether.

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Well, Piyush Brady...err.. Jindal has so far proven to be an honorable guy and is doing well for our state...

I dunno what happened the other night...maybe he was set up or something...

Foot Soldier

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ELVIS View Post
    Well, Piyush Brady...err.. Jindal has so far proven to be an honorable guy and is doing well for our state...

His rebuttal speech was pretty darn bad though...I was surprised, as he's a sharp guy. It was bad enough without the fabricated stuff.

Even will all that--He's still quite the upgrade over the last disgrace of a Governor you had out there? Blanco?

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 12:43 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,347 Times in 6,031 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ELVIS View Post

How could that happen?

You mean someone changed his auto queue???

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    That or they wrote his speech wrong on purpose...

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

If the Repuke party hates the guy that much, why would they have made him governor of Lousyana?

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    I thought they liked him, with talk about running him for President in the future...

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

So why would they "set him up" then? :confused:

peace and love
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-12-2014 @ 04:32 AM
    Status
    Thanks

No need to expend this effort, Ford. Jindal is not the man....even if he is the nominee in 2012. Obama will really have to stomp on his dick to not be a 2 termer because the repuke party is in disarray.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Just preparing for eventual republican hypocrisy.....

They spent the entire 1990's whining about Clinton being a "pot smoking draft dodger", then in 2000 claimed that a coke snorting deserter would "restore honor and dignity to the White House". (he did exactly the opposite, of course)

And last year, they drove themselves silly over a young black man with a funny name who grew up around a non-Christian religion. (though he was never a Muslim himself)

So now they're going to run a younger Indian man with a funny name who grew up as a Hindu?
    Last edited by FORD; 02-27-2009 at 09:05 PM.

23. 2 users say thank you to FORD for this KICKASS post:

jhale667 (03-01-2009),Terry (03-01-2009)

The true JBC
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    11-14-2018 @ 03:27 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,298 Times in 1,690 Posts

Just preparing for eventual republican hypocrisy.....

They spent the entire 1990's whining about Clinton being a "pot smoking draft dodger", then in 2000 claimed that a coke snorting deserter would "restore honor and dignity to the White House".

And last year, they drove themselves silly over a young black man with a funny name who grew up around a non-Christian religion. So now they're going to run a younger Indian man with a funny name who grew up as a Hindu?
    Well, they picked that fucking nut job, religious hick, Palin to run as VP with a clearly non-functioning McSame. So that does sound about right for the Repukes.

peace and love
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-12-2014 @ 04:32 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Drama much?

Foot Soldier

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

They spent the entire 1990's whining about Clinton being a "pot smoking draft dodger", then in 2000 claimed that a coke snorting deserter would "restore honor and dignity to the White House".
    Obama has smoked and snorted too? What's the prob?

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Combat Ready View Post
    Obama has smoked and snorted too? What's the prob?
    But he was up front and honest about it, writing about it in a book even before he ran for President. He didn't claim to "not inhale" the smoke, and deny the nose candy altogether like Chimp did (despite the fact that Chimpy's dad was the biggest coke dealer of the 20th century)

I don't think most people give a shit anymore. It's expected that anyone who came of age at any point after 1965 has probably smoked dope, and many have tried other substances. Tried a few of them myself. Never liked any of the others enough to try them again. Oh well, life goes on.

I just don't see the point in either Clinton or Chimpy lying about it. Reportedly Ron & Nancy got high in the California governors mansion. Guess a little bit of Hollywood always stayed with them?

Foot Soldier

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

But he was up front and honest about it, writing about it in a book even before he ran for President. He didn't claim to "not inhale" the smoke, and deny the nose candy altogether like Chimp did (despite the fact that Chimpy's dad was the biggest coke dealer of the 20th century)

I don't think most people give a shit anymore. It's expected that anyone who came of age at any point after 1965 has probably smoked dope, and many have tried other substances. Tried a few of them myself. Never liked any of the others enough to try them again. Oh well, life goes on.

I just don't see the point in either Clinton or Chimpy lying about it. Reportedly Ron & Nancy got high in the California governors mansion. Guess a little bit of Hollywood always stayed with them?
    Nice post Ford. I agree.

Thread Information