X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mr Walker
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by davehagarfan
    Gene's version of See You In Your Dreams blows the original version off Rock and Roll Over away!!!!
    No it doesn't... that turd Michael Des Barres ruins it completely!

Comment

• davehagarfan
      Head Fluffer
      • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Mr. Vengeance
      I don't give a fuck if Ace wrote the song or not. Ace's solo album ruled and Ace's solo albums have all been good. Last time I looked you didn't have to write the song for it to be good.

I guess Burn Bitch Burn blows away New York Groove, because Gene wrote it himself?

Ace's solo albums have all been good......

There are a couple of songs off Gene's solo album that blow away New York Groove

Burn Bitch Burn does blow away most of Ace's solo material from the 80s with the exception of Rock Soldiers, Into The Night and Do Ya...two of those songs Ace didn't even write....

Comment

• davehagarfan
        Head Fluffer
        • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Mr Walker
        No it doesn't... that turd Michael Des Barres ruins it completely!

You're out of your mind...that song kicks all kinds of ass even with Michael Des Barres...for years I didn't even know who he was...I thought Gene was doing all that vocal stuff.....he might be a turd but it sounds fucking cool....that song is the shit

Comment

• Mr Walker
          Crazy Ass Mofo
          • Jan 2004

You're out of your mind...that song kicks all kinds of ass even with Michael Des Barres...for years I didn't even know who he was...I thought Gene was doing all that vocal stuff.....he might be a turd but it sounds fucking cool....that song is the shit
          I think you are just being silly.

I do agree with your assessment of Ace's solo stuff.
          The 78 solo album is great. As far as the four solo albums... on any given day I could give Ace, Gene or Paul's the top spot (Paul does lose points for the ultra-gay 'Hold Me, Touch Me'). Peter's solo CD is crap except for maybe that one ballad.
          Apart from a handful of songs on the debut Frehley's Comet LP (Into The Night, Breakout, Love Me Right & Dolls) and the track 'Words Are Not Enough' off the EP released in 88, I have no use for any of it. I'm really optimistic about 'Anomoly' though... I hope it will be good enough that I don't ignore it like 'Second Sighting' and 'Trouble Walkin'.

Comment

• Mr Walker
            Crazy Ass Mofo
            • Jan 2004

I always considered 'New York Groove' a novelty song and to me it always felt out of place up against the other strong material on Ace's '78 solo album.

Comment

• sonrisa salvaje
              Veteran
              • Jun 2005

The 78 solo album is great. As far as the four solo albums... on any given day I could give Ace, Gene or Paul's the top spot (Paul does lose points for the ultra-gay 'Hold Me, Touch Me'). Peter's solo CD is crap except for maybe that one ballad.
              Apart from a handful of songs on the debut Frehley's Comet LP (Into The Night, Breakout, Love Me Right & Dolls) and the track 'Words Are Not Enough' off the EP released in 88, I have no use for any of it. I'm really optimistic about 'Anomoly' though... I hope it will be good enough that I don't ignore it like 'Second Sighting' and 'Trouble Walkin'.
              Totally fair assessment here.
              RIDE TO LIVE, LIVE TO RIDE
              LET `EM ROLL ONE MORE TIME

Comment

• davehagarfan
                Head Fluffer
                • Jan 2009

I'm being completely serious....I love Gene's version of See You In Your Dreams...I always have....how you can't I just don't get.....when I heard the original version off Rock and Roll Over a few years later I thought it sucked and all these years later I still do...

I'm optimistic about Anomoly too but I doubt I will rush out and buy it

Peter's has grown on me over the years...it doesn't blow me away and it doesn't rock but I like some songs....Hooked on Rock and Roll, You Still Matter To Me, Tossin and Turnin', I Can't Stop The Rain....leaving KISS was the dumbest thing Peter ever did..

Comment

• davehagarfan
                  Head Fluffer
                  • Jan 2009

I always considered 'New York Groove' a novelty song and to me it always felt out of place up against the other strong material on Ace's '78 solo album.

Yeah it was but it was a good song...had a great groove and the lyrics fit Ace and the band perfectly

I use to really like Ozone and Snowblind but I've grown tired of Ace's drug tripping....it's old and tired.....I like Rocket Ride, Hard Times and Save Your Love better.....even Talk To Me and Two Sides of the Coin...Ozone does have cool guitar and arrangement the lyrics are lame......Fractured Mirror is still great though

Comment

• Mr. Vengeance
                    Full Member Status

• Nov 2004

I'm being completely serious....I love Gene's version of See You In Your Dreams...I always have....how you can't I just don't get.....when I heard the original version off Rock and Roll Over a few years later I thought it sucked and all these years later I still do...

I'm optimistic about Anomoly too but I doubt I will rush out and buy it

Peter's has grown on me over the years...it doesn't blow me away and it doesn't rock but I like some songs....Hooked on Rock and Roll, You Still Matter To Me, Tossin and Turnin', I Can't Stop The Rain....leaving KISS was the dumbest thing Peter ever did..
                    People have different tastes. Just because YOU love a tune, doesn't mean it's great. Just because YOU hate a tune, doesn't mean it sucks. It's your opinion.
                    Stay Frosty, muthas!

Comment

• indeedido
                      Veteran
                      • Feb 2004

There's not a song on Peter's solo album that I can stomach to listen to. Awful awful stuff. I never understood why he never did anymore stuff like Hooligan or Baby Driver. Those tunes rock
                      This space for rent.

Comment

• Vinnie Velvet
                        Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

Originally posted by indeedido
                        There's not a song on Peter's solo album that I can stomach to listen to. Awful awful stuff. I never understood why he never did anymore stuff like Hooligan or Baby Driver. Those tunes rock
                        The four members of KISS were given complete flexibility over their respective solo albums. Just do what they felt like playing. And in Peter's case he wanted to do some jazzy, big band stuff and his usual ballads.

Guitar-driven, sound-wise, we thus heard it was Ace who really was the sound of KISS.
                        =V V=
                        ole No.1 The finest
                        EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

• Golden AWe
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Jan 2004

I larve NIN, but Simmons pwns Reznor there...
                          Originally posted by Cato
                          Golden, why are you FAT?
                          Originally posted by lesfunk
                          Much like yourself as the Jim Morrison of Nazi bunker flies
                          http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u...TheDMCross.jpg

Comment

• indeedido
                            Veteran
                            • Feb 2004

I agree Ace was the sound of KISS. I think Anomaly is going to rock.....Even all of Peter's post KISS solo stuff sucks. I dig his gravely voice, I'd just rather hear him sing in the vein of Black Diamond or Baby Driver.
                            This space for rent.

Comment

• Terry
                              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Vinnie Velvet
                              The four members of KISS were given complete flexibility over their respective solo albums. Just do what they felt like playing. And in Peter's case he wanted to do some jazzy, big band stuff and his usual ballads.

Guitar-driven, sound-wise, we thus heard it was Ace who really was the sound of KISS.
                              Ace's 1978 solo album fucking rocked (still does).
                              Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Terry
                                TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                                • Jan 2004

Originally posted by indeedido
                                It was just too far off into left field for many KISS fans to accept. Not saying it was some sort of misunderstood lost classic or anything like that. At least with the 1978 Ace and Paul efforts (and parts of the Gene album), you could still hear stuff that was akin to what they brought to the band; if the best tracks were taken from each of Ace, Paul and Gene's 1978 albums, it would have made for one good KISS album.

Peter's 1978 album didn't really even have one track that would have made a good "Peter" track on a KISS album. I hated it when it first came out. Didn't listen to it for many years, snagged a second-hand copy on cd a few years ago...it's okay for what it is. In many ways, Peter and Gene really used the 1978 solo album experience to do things that one could NEVER picture them bringing to KISS to record (whereas Paul had a lot of tracks that were good, but probably would have been better had KISS recorded them), which was the whole point.

Pete just did a bunch of r & b stuff, a couple of cheesy disco-influenced tunes and some ballads. Nothing particularly memorable in terms of lyrics or vocals...or tunes. If I were in a bar or club somewhere, and a bar-band played the stuff, I'd think it was okay, but it wouldn't make me think "Jesus, I can't imagine why this band hasn't been signed yet." That's The Kind Of Sugar That Papa Likes, You Matter To Me and I Can't Stop The Rain were okay.
                                Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

Working...