Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fraroc
    Commando
    • Jun 2012

completely unrelated to this, I've been listening to a lot of Frehleys Comet lately. Second Sighting is really underrated.
    How do you spell pretentious? S-A-M-M-Y H-A-G-A-R

Comment

• DrMaddVibe
      ROTH ARMY ELITE
      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Mr. Vengeance
      If it weren't for Ace and Peter reuniting with the band in the 90s, scab KISS wouldn't be selling jack. They were really not selling albums or selling out arenas anymore with Bruce and Eric. The reunion regenerated interest in the live show. That's why when Ace and Peter left again, they didn't go back to the no makeup version. They knew that fans were more likely to come see scabs in makeup than two regular guys.
      Weren't selling? Seriously? Most bands would KILL to have half of their numbers.

The live shows that I've attended in California, Texas, Colorado, North Carolina, Virginia, New York, Toronto, Buffalo, Michigan, Florida have either been sold out or you had to look hard for the empty seats. One of my all-time favorite tours was back in 92 and they weren't wearing makeup for that one...The Palace of Auburn Hills was jammed and the Detroit crowd gave them a film worthy place to showcase what they were all about.

Believe your own eyes with those "scabs" as they've been called. Playing off a really great KISS album "Revenge"...with those scabs...to an arena where...well, there's no crickets chirping.

The reunion did jumpstart interest in the band but it was a nostalgia grab for cash and nothing more. Everyone on the inside knew it too. Peter knew...Ace knew. They weren't members of the band, they were hired scale employees. They soured the deal too. They both walked out before and were holding the band, the fans, the promoters for another renegotiated contract. They realized they weren't getting the band back together and they wouldn't be allowed back in. Actions have consequences. Part of what soured the fans was Gene and Paul getting the rights to the "Spaceman" and "Catman" makeup and likeness. Kudos to them...look at the merchandising they did after that! Ace and Peter let it slip from their hands. They took their booze/drug addled abilities and walked out once...held a "gun" to their heads and got the rug yanked out from under them. Too bad. I've met Ace and had a chance to talk to him. He's a likeable guy, but you KNOW he has substance abuse issues. Haven't met Peter, but had friends that have and they all have the same thing to say..."never saw him without a glass in his hand". Peter and Ace gave away the makeup and likeness they created. It's on THEM, not Gene and Paul. Do I wish they'd just keep on creating new characters? Yes, I do. They decided to stick with their formula...one that has and is working. What I'm hearing is a lot of jealousy and bitterness from a lot here about a working band that at the end of the day isn't ready to hop in a grave and push daisies. Sounds like by the way their tours are still being attended and even "Sonic Boom" and "Monster" are being bought...even in this digital day and age.

People are STILL showing up.

People still show up for Ace and Peter too. I've attended several Ace shows...he mainly plays solo stuff but when he dusts of KISS songs he helped create and wrote...he's smiling when he's playing them. I'm POSITIVE both of them love cashing those KISS royalty checks that they still get to this day. If only they would've sobered up and realized the opportunity that was given to them when they were given it...and time again.
      http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x...auders1zl5.gif
      http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c4...willywonka.gif

Comment

• DrMaddVibe
        ROTH ARMY ELITE
        • Jan 2004

Still showing up!

Comment

• DrMaddVibe
          ROTH ARMY ELITE
          • Jan 2004

Last year...

Look at all the people there that night!

Comment

• twonabomber
            formerly F A T
            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

I think most people are okay with the KISS lineups pre-96...
            Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• sonrisa salvaje
              Veteran
              • Jun 2005

Originally posted by fraroc
              completely unrelated to this, I've been listening to a lot of Frehleys Comet lately. Second Sighting is really underrated.
              Man i have tried to like that cd so many times but it always falls short to my ears. Don't get me wrong..i will always have it to complete my Frehley collection. I find Live +1 to be really cool because of the live Kiss tracks he did. I would say Trouble Walkin' is the underrated album of his work. I always found it interesting that he did Hide Your Heart before Kiss did. While the lyrical content of the song is cheesy, Ace did a much better version than Kiss.
              RIDE TO LIVE, LIVE TO RIDE
              LET `EM ROLL ONE MORE TIME

Comment

• twonabomber
                formerly F A T
                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

I've been listening to Anomaly a lot lately.
                Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• DrMaddVibe
                  ROTH ARMY ELITE
                  • Jan 2004

Originally posted by twonabomber
                  I think most people are okay with the KISS lineups pre-96...
                  Hmmm...Eric was in the band then.

So...they just have a problem with Tommy Thayer then?

That's funny. He's a very capable guitarist and on the last 2 records can play the role he's given.

Bruce played the songs but added his spin to them. That was cool and you can tell it was his touch, but he earned that right.

Comment

• FORD
                    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

The problem people have with Tommy the Roadie is that he's playing in Ace's makeup.

At least Singer played with them for a few years as himself.

Vinnie Vincent made up his own character. So did Eric Carr. They only used them for a couple of years, so if these two scabs can't make up their own characters, maybe they should use Vincent & Carr's, instead of Ace & Peter's.

Now of course somebody might think it's in bad taste to use a dead guy's makeup. But not really much worse than what they are doing now. Thayer & Singer dressed up as Ace & Peter is no more authentic than Jerskmear's Mini-Kiss tribute band......

Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                      ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                      • Dec 2003

Me and Pojo saw KISS when they opened up for Aerosmith in '03.... We got great last-minute seats next to the elevated platform stage left....

Tommy came up there several times, smiling at everyone, asking "what's up?"....

Seems like a really nice guy, for whatever that's worth....
                      Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• fraroc
                        Commando
                        • Jun 2012

Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
                        Me and Pojo saw KISS when they opened up for Aerosmith in '03.... We got great last-minute seats next to the elevated platform stage left....

Tommy came up there several times, smiling at everyone, asking "what's up?"....

Seems like a really nice guy, for whatever that's worth....
                        And yet, there will always be those kinds of fans that fantasize about flaying Tommy Thayer alive and using his blood to attract sharks and have the sharks eat him alive for wearing the Space Ace makeup.
                        How do you spell pretentious? S-A-M-M-Y H-A-G-A-R

Comment

• DrMaddVibe
                          ROTH ARMY ELITE
                          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by FORD
                          The problem people have with Tommy the Roadie is that he's playing in Ace's makeup.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe he did the very same thing a couple of times because Ace was either drunk or not at the concert.

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                            ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                            • Dec 2003

And yet, there will always be those kinds of fans that fantasize about flaying Tommy Thayer alive and using his blood to attract sharks and have the sharks eat him alive for wearing the Space Ace makeup.
                            Oh don't get me wrong, I agree with FORD in that they should have put both Tommy and Eric in new makeup...

I was just saying that I don't think anyone is against Tommy personally, that's all...
                            Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• Nitro Express
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Mr. Vengeance
                              If it weren't for Ace and Peter reuniting with the band in the 90s, scab KISS wouldn't be selling jack. They were really not selling albums or selling out arenas anymore with Bruce and Eric. The reunion regenerated interest in the live show. That's why when Ace and Peter left again, they didn't go back to the no makeup version. They knew that fans were more likely to come see scabs in makeup than two regular guys.
                              Seeing the original members of KISS playing together got lots of attention. But since it continued to do well with the so called scabs what it really meant was people loved the nostalgia of seeing the band in makeup overall. Plus none of us had to work with Ace and Peter. We love em as fans. Ace is who inspired me as a kid to pick up the guitar. I dressed like the spaceman for one halloween. I just think those two are difficult to work with to be honest with you. Maybe if they didn't have problems they would have remained in the band.

That being said they are rock and roll legends. I think I'm against this Hall of Fame concept because it has put more than one band in an akward situation. It's like saying you are going to have to get back with your ex-wife again when the spit got real nasty and people got hurt and there is bad blood. Never a good idea.
                              No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Nitro Express
                                DIAMOND STATUS
                                • Aug 2004

I read an interview with Tommy and to be honest, he really payed respects to Ace. He's not a member of KISS. He, Gene, and Paul make this clear. Gene and Paul own KISS. Tommy is a paid employee. Honestly, you know the critics of this guy if they had the same opportunity would be doing what Tommy is doing. I mean give me a break. Tommy can be fired and replaced at any time. It's called a job. He does what he's paid to do quite well.
                                No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

Working...